A few things to watch vs San Francisco

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off not sure how much of either teams starters play. But I'm guessing the 49ers will play their starters like they have done so far.
1. Carlos Hyde is a back poised for breakout season imo. He is a powerful back with nice cuts and reads. Kenny Clark needs to flash some promise. If he can plug up the middle and shed his blocks and not get stood up that would be nice
2. With Hundley sidelined again and not sure if Arod will play or not this is another big opportunity for Callahan. He has played very well thus far given his experience and college competition. He may see another first string Defense.
3. We all know all eyes will be on Spriggs to see how he bounces back from last week. I think it would be good for him early this week. But I really want to see Tyler Murphy again. He did a damn good job and would like to see him build off that. Now that Tretter is starting Center maybe they get him and rodgers a series this week then bring in Barclay.
4. Carl Bradford has looked very promising and under control. He still needs to improve his coverage skills. But all in all very much better than the player we drafted in 2014. Also would like to see Jake Ryan rest his Hammy and Blake Martinez get the start to see how he holds up vs Hyde and company.
5. The UDFA rookies have been playing very well this preseason. Both Brice and Hawkins have impressed and deserve further looks. Maybe 1 of them can push Goodson for his roster spot.
6. Finally, the competition between Masthay and Mortell. I may be mistaken but it seemed Masthay did all the punting vs Oakland. Mortell I thought looked brilliant vs Cleveland and hope to see much more of him Friday. It looks like he has the bigger boot and that coffin corner was a thing of beauty.
Can't wait to watch some real football. We have been blessed with good health thus far, other than Hundley. And pray to the football gods for the same through the season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Both Brice and Hawkins have impressed and deserve further looks. Maybe 1 of them can push Goodson for his roster spot.

Goodson is suspended for the first four games of the season and won't count against the roster limit during that time. Therefore both Brice and Hawkins have a good chance to make the 53 and prove there's no reason to bring Goodson back in week 5.

Finally, the competition between Masthay and Mortell. I may be mistaken but it seemed Masthay did all the punting vs Oakland.

You're mistaken. Mortell punted twice vs. the Raiders for a gross average of 56 and a net average of 58 yards.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I would like to see a little less of Eddie the rest of the preseason. Yes, Eddie is in a "show me the money or show me the door, prove that he is fit and can stay fit" contract year, but I think we have seen enough of him (13 carries) to know that he has made some progress on his weight loss and conditioning. Giving him more reps in meaningless preseason games just exposes him to an injury that would force us into starting the season with Starks and Crockett. Keep Eddie on the bike, the P90X program out of the donut shop or whatever it takes to keep him fit to start the regular season, but the coaches should have seen enough of him in the first 2 games to know what Eddie they have to start the regular season.

Same really goes for Starks, no need to see what he has, he is our #2. Let Crockett, Burks and Ross battle it out. Oh and more of Alstevis Squirewell please!!!!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, Eddie is in a "show me the money or show me the door, prove that he is fit and can stay fit" contract year, but I think we have seen enough of him (13 carries) to know that he has made some progress on his weight loss and conditioning.

In my opinion Lacy doesn't look any slimmer than last season and therefore I doubt he's in better shape.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In my opinion Lacy doesn't look any slimmer than last season and therefore I doubt he's in better shape.

I have to agree with you on the weight loss look, I was a bit shocked when I saw him come out onto the field in Cleveland and he looked pretty similar to the same guy we saw last year and not the chiseled down Eddie we saw in a few of the "Post P90X pics" floating around. The training staff or whoever does the weigh ins could tell us if he has lost any weight.

However, his conditioning may be better, which is what he really needed the most. So fingers crossed and hoping we have a guy who can make the running game a big enough threat that defenses aren't just focused on our passing game and AR and the WR's can get back on track.

D

Deleted member 6794

However, his conditioning may be better, which is what he really needed the most.

I would be excited if Lacy's conditioning improved over last season but as long as his weight is close to the one he played with in 2015 I highly doubt that's the case.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A good article by Pete D. While its a month old and before any games were played, he too shows some skepticism on just where Eddie is compared to 3-4 years ago.

The information on Richard Rodgers is encouraging!

http://archive.jsonline.com/sports/...ill-has-work-to-do-b99768627z1-388342471.html

"But he (Richard Rodgers) clearly committed fully to making over his physique.

Lacy hasn't done that yet. If he ever does, look out.
"

OP
OP
A

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like to see a little less of Eddie the rest of the preseason. Yes, Eddie is in a "show me the money or show me the door, prove that he is fit and can stay fit" contract year, but I think we have seen enough of him (13 carries) to know that he has made some progress on his weight loss and conditioning. Giving him more reps in meaningless preseason games just exposes him to an injury that would force us into starting the season with Starks and Crockett. Keep Eddie on the bike, the P90X program out of the donut shop or whatever it takes to keep him fit to start the regular season, but the coaches should have seen enough of him in the first 2 games to know what Eddie they have to start the regular season.

Same really goes for Starks, no need to see what he has, he is our #2. Let Crockett, Burks and Ross battle it out. Oh and more of Alstevis Squirewell please!!!!!
I was thinking the same. We know what we have in both Lacy and Starks. Let the pups squabble for #3 back

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I was thinking the same. We know what we have in both Lacy and Starks. Let the pups squabble for #3 back

At this point in the preseason I feel pretty strongly about that with most of the starters. However, I think both starting units should have at least one opening series on both sides of the ball against SanFran and if needed against the Chiefs. This is especially important for the offense due to Jordy being back after missing a year and the whole offense running somewhat dysfunctional/unconfident during much of the 2015 season. Practice is one thing, but you can only gain so much confidence and momentum on the practice field.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd like the starters to go longer, if for nothing else, to build stamina. One - two drives at preseason game speed does not prepare for late in the third quarter endurance levels. Let alone an exhausted defense needing a few fourth quarter stops.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lacy should get at least some snaps during the last two preseason games as well. Otherwise he´ll probably gain another 10 Pounds until the start of the regular season. :D

At this point in the preseason I feel pretty strongly about that with most of the starters. However, I think both starting units should have at least one opening series on both sides of the ball against SanFran and if needed against the Chiefs. This is especially important for the offense due to Jordy being back after missing a year and the whole offense running somewhat dysfunctional/unconfident during much of the 2015 season. Practice is one thing, but you can only gain so much confidence and momentum on the practice field.

I would like the first team offense to get some snaps during the preseason as well I don´t expect it to happen. Nelson most likely won´t play at San Francisco and McCarthy will probably rest most of the starters in the preseson finale at Kansas City.

I'd like the starters to go longer, if for nothing else, to build stamina. One - two drives at preseason game speed does not prepare for late in the third quarter endurance levels. Let alone an exhausted defense needing a few fourth quarter stops.

I´d rather enter the regular season with a healthy team still a bit rusty than losing starters to injuries during the preseason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Matt39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´d rather enter the regular season with a healthy Team still a bit rusty than losing starters ton injuries during the preseason.

We should be able to test that theory, by all accounts this is the least active camp/preseason for the team as a whole and the starters especially.

Royal Pain

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think fear of injury is a good reason to hold our starters out of most of the preseason. We start the season with two difficult road games and we could be looking at an 0-2 start while we knock the rust off. While we're perfectly capable of bouncing back from a slow start, there's much less margin for error.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think fear of injury is a good reason to hold our starters out of most of the preseason. We start the season with two difficult road games and we could be looking at an 0-2 start while we knock the rust off. While we're perfectly capable of bouncing back from a slow start, there's much less margin for error.

I don't think mostly resting the starters in preseason compulsory results in a team struggling out of the gates.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Gut feeling: Mortell is not clearly better thus TT will do the safe thing and keep Masthay for this year. Plus over pay for him next spring if this season is comparable to last year.

Packers907

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lacy has shown progress and of course is in his contract year, truthfully just ready to have some form of a concrete running game that will really give us an edge as a dual threat offense. Don't care how it happens or with who, just as long as it happens.

D

Deleted member 6794

I sure hope it's in Green Bay though. He seems very promising. Also much younger and cheaper than Masthay and well we know what we are getting with Masthay and that's nothing to brag about.

Mortell has a strong leg capable of kicking long punts but he lacks hang time. That could make it difficult for the coverage team to contain returns. I guess the Packers will hold on to Masthay.

Gut feeling: Mortell is not clearly better thus TT will do the safe thing and keep Masthay for this year. Plus over pay for him next spring if this season is comparable to last year.

Thompson won't have sufficient cap space to overpay for a punter next offseason.

Lacy has shown progress and of course is in his contract year, truthfully just ready to have some form of a concrete running game that will really give us an edge as a dual threat offense.

I'm not convinced Lacy is indeed in better shape than last season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the mortell story too, but at this point I see Masthay keeping the job. Not enough of a difference and unless he could boom those kicks consistently with the hangtime, they'll take the occassional shank just to keep the status quo. I don't think that's good enough either, but long kicks that don't hang, don't help. Teams just line up a bit deeper and catch the punt on the run up and with not as much time to get a coverage unit down there, those turn into the worst punts possible.

He's making it interesting though, but at this point, I couldn't give it to him, even though I'd like to see Masthay replaced. He's cost us in the past and he looks the same this year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With the way Masthay has been punting the last 2 seasons, I think Thompson and the Packers made a big mistake not drafting a guy like Drew Kaser (6th round by Chargers) or Riley Dixon (7th round by Broncos). But...Mortell may have been seen as a cheaper no draft pick option. I think Kaser is proving why sometimes its ok to use a draft pick on a punter (53.6 yard ave. on 9 punts).

I said it before the draft and will say it again, not sure why teams aren't willing to spend a later round pick on the best punter in college, that could potentially fill a glaring need for years and instead use it on a guy that may never see the field. I know....B.J. Sanders.

D

Deleted member 6794

With the way Masthay has been punting the last 2 seasons, I think Thompson and the Packers made a big mistake not drafting a guy like Drew Kaser (6th round by Chargers) or Riley Dixon (7th round by Broncos). But...Mortell may have been seen as a cheaper no draft pick option. I think Kaser is proving why sometimes its ok to use a draft pick on a punter (53.6 yard ave. on 9 punts).

I said it before the draft and will say it again, not sure why teams aren't willing to spend a later round pick on the best punter in college, that could potentially fill a glaring need for years and instead use it on a guy that may never see the field. I know....B.J. Sanders.

I agree spending a late round pick on a punter can turn out to be a smart move. There's no way a team should spend a third round pick on the position like Sherman did with Sander though.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

You're mistaken. Mortell punted twice vs. the Raiders for a gross average of 56 and a net average of 58 yards.
The gross is worth noting. The net was a function of a returner with a glass eye and no depth perception. OK, so I made up the glass eye; that guy was dreadful tracking the ball flight.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The gross is worth noting. The net was a function of a returner with a glass eye and no depth perception. OK, so I made up the glass eye; that guy was dreadful tracking the ball flight.
Or maybe Mortell spent 4 months working with tibetin monks and has now perfected the stealth punt. A ball that cant readily be seen by your average player unless they free their mind to a high level of consciousness with a keener self-awareness. That or maybe the sun was now in their eyes.

Members online

Latest posts