A DB Solution...for 2017

H

HardRightEdge

Free Safety: Randall at his natural position; shows good instincts when facing the play; not so hot with his back to it.

Slot: Hyde will probably be gone in FA, and that's probably as it should be. While assignment-sure and a reasonably good tackler, he lacks the necessary quickness. Time and again we see him trailing on short routes, making a nice tackle, but after the yards have been surrendered. Make Dix the slot/safety swing man as has been Hyde's role. He has the short area quickness to defend some of these underneath passes and is a decent tackler. He looks better the closer to the line of scrimmage he gets. He's not more than an adequate free safety. Yeah, he's assignment sure in that teams don't throw much at him when he's in high double coverage, but when he's in single-high he just doesn't seem to be instinctive enough to be where the ball is thrown very often.

Strong Safety: Burnett, as has been his typical role, in the last year of his contract.

Perimeter Corner: It's hard to pay good money for two of them, especially with the Packers cap situation; Shields is taking up that cap. You need an adequate guy on a cheap rookie deal. Goodson/Rollins should be able to fill that #2 role. But the Packers would need to go back to having the perimeter guys switch sides as the match-ups dictate, rather than giving the offense that option. For a DC that favors unpredictability and confusion, I fail to understand Capers using fixed corners instead of match up corners. That's about as predictable as you can get.

Now, Shields' future may or may not be in doubt. Clearly, you don't put a top player on IR that early in the the season with a concussion if there are not serious concerns. Unless there is high probability that he can return to health by free agency/draft time, while admitting that "high probability" is hard to envision, I think the new GM :)eek:) or the old GM under the new DC's (;)) persuasion, should be looking at a FA replacement or a first round cover corner with that top 15 pick. :)()

Shields' contract calls for $3.12 mil in dead cap if released before 2017, but would yield $9 mil in cap savings.

Shields does not strike me as the kind of guy who would retire as a precaution; if the headaches and blurred vision are not going away that's another matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

Perimeter Corner: It's hard to pay good money for two of them, especially with the Packers cap situation; Shields is taking up that cap. You need an adequate guy on a cheap rookie deal. Goodson/Rollins should be able to fill that #2 role.

I like the idea of moving Randall to free safety but Goodson shouldn't be a starter on the perimeter. With Shields most likely done the Packers absolutely need to add #1 cornerback next offseason.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why everyone rags on Morgan. He's not having the best year but he's a solid safety and has chemistry with HaHa. I do think Randall would be nice at safety, though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure why everyone rags on Morgan. He's not having the best year but he's a solid safety and has chemistry with HaHa. I do think Randall would be nice at safety, though.

Most teams can get 'solid' play from backups. Burnett makes no impact plays, and is invisible too often.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Think it's gonna be HaHa and Burnett staying at safety, with Randall, Rollins, Gunter 1,2,3. No surprises.

Generally, the top 1 or 2 cover corners are going to be off the board by pick ~15. We'd probably have better value available at that spot.

We have solid depth. We just don't have an obvious, confident #1 guy. Given how this team operates, however, I think it's safe to assume they still expect Randall or Rollins to step into that role.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think Randall can become a star CB if he keeps grinding and stays healthy. He was clearly hurting in the games he struggled in this season.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Free Safety: Randall at his natural position; shows good instincts when facing the play; not so hot with his back to it.

Slot: Hyde will probably be gone in FA, and that's probably as it should be. While assignment-sure and a reasonably good tackler, he lacks the necessary quickness. Time and again we see him trailing on short routes, making a nice tackle, but after the yards have been surrendered. Make Dix the slot/safety swing man as has been Hyde's role. He has the short area quickness to defend some of these underneath passes and is a decent tackler. He looks better the closer to the line of scrimmage he gets. He's not more than an adequate free safety. Yeah, he's assignment sure in that teams don't throw much at him when he's in high double coverage, but when he's in single-high he just doesn't seem to be instinctive enough to be where the ball is thrown very often.

Strong Safety: Burnett, as has been his typical role, in the last year of his contract.

Perimeter Corner: It's hard to pay good money for two of them, especially with the Packers cap situation; Shields is taking up that cap. You need an adequate guy on a cheap rookie deal. Goodson/Rollins should be able to fill that #2 role. But the Packers would need to go back to having the perimeter guys switch sides as the match-ups dictate, rather than giving the offense that option. For a DC that favors unpredictability and confusion, I fail to understand Capers using fixed corners instead of match up corners. That's about as predictable as you can get.

Now, Shields' future may or may not be in doubt. Clearly, you don't put a top player on IR that early in the the season with a concussion if there are not serious concerns. Unless there is high probability that he can return to health by free agency/draft time, while admitting that "high probability" is hard to envision, I think the new GM :)eek:) or the old GM under the new DC's (;)) persuasion, should be looking at a FA replacement or a first round cover corner with that top 15 pick. :)()

Shields' contract calls for $3.12 mil in dead cap if released before 2017, but would yield $9 mil in cap savings.

Shields does not strike me as the kind of guy who would retire as a precaution; if the headaches and blurred vision are not going away that's another matter.

Fun to think about... But I don't see that as a possibility.

Packers will likely release Shields as they have in the past if there is any medical concers (Collins, Finley) come to mind.

You'll have Randall and Goodson likely on the outside. Rollins in the slot. Burnett and Dix at safety.

The bigger concern to me is the pass rush. The more rush you generate the better your corners look. No one in this league can cover if you give too much time consistently. The two go hand in hand, and if you let Matthews go, now you need two rushers. That is scary considering we couldn't find an opposite side starter for him in 5 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

Burnett is a very good strong safety but he shouldn't be lined up at free safety though.

Think it's gonna be HaHa and Burnett staying at safety, with Randall, Rollins, Gunter 1,2,3. No surprises.

Generally, the top 1 or 2 cover corners are going to be off the board by pick ~15. We'd probably have better value available at that spot.

We have solid depth. We just don't have an obvious, confident #1 guy. Given how this team operates, however, I think it's safe to assume they still expect Randall or Rollins to step into that role.

There's absolutely no doubt in my mind the Packers need to add a #1 cornerback next offseason with Shields likely done.

I do think Randall can become a star CB if he keeps grinding and stays healthy. He was clearly hurting in the games he struggled in this season.

Randall was fully healthy at the start of the season when he struggled mightily against the Vikings and Lions.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall was fully healthy at the start of the season when he struggled mightily against the Vikings and Lions.
Not sure about the Vikings game health wise, but he was sick and was hurting during the Lions game.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Long term, I'm more excited about Hawkins, Brice, and Evans than Randall or Rollins.
And I'm not ecstatic about them , either.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, forgot about Randall being sick during the Lions game.
If he works hard, he can be the guy we saw in the Jags game + flashes during his rookie season. He has that "it" factor, but we have to see consistency next year.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Cut Shields, use the savings towards the best cover corner FA on the market.....if TT is no longer in GB.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cut Shields, use the savings towards the best cover corner FA on the market.....if TT is no longer in GB.
Good or bad, I would say the chances are still in favor of him being here unless, he decides to retire voluntarily. I actually think that is a strong possibility.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Good or bad, I would say the chances are still in favor of him being here unless, he decides to retire voluntarily. I actually think that is a strong possibility.
No matter who the GM is or what Shields decides to do, unless he is willing to renegotiate his contract and have an injury clause in it, I think it would be a big mistake not to cut Shields.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My biggest concern with Shields is for Shields. I believe he's at the point of serious risk to his long term health and quality of life.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
My biggest concern with Shields is for Shields. I believe he's at the point of serious risk to his long term health and quality of life.

While I totally agree with you, the Packers also have to do what is right for the team. A $12M + Cap hit for a player that very well is one hit away from being done, just wouldn't make good business sense. Only way I see Shields back in GB is assurance from doctors, that by playing the quality of his life isn't at a high risk AND his contract is totally restructured to reflect just how uncertain his future in the NFL is.

D

Deleted member 6794

If he works hard, he can be the guy we saw in the Jags game + flashes during his rookie season. He has that "it" factor, but we have to see consistency next year.

Hopefully Randall will be able to provide decent cornerback play late this season as well.