49ers -- NFCCG (who'da thunk these 2 teams in August)

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
We’ll be fine Sunday, I think we can match up with them they have stout Dlineman who are good pass rushers we have 2 who were snubbed PBers and were the best dou sack leaders, Alexander is no slouch and can match up with their receivers offensively Rodgers is a much better QB than Jimmy G and we do have a running game, it will come down to who makes more big plays and who wins the TO’s, R-E-L-A-X

H

HardRightEdge

I think back to the game that cost Monty his job when he fumbled the KO. GB had more than a minute to go with a couple of TO’s but Rodgers never saw the ball. Rodgers needs the ball in that scenario. He’s gotta little Russell Wilson “doesn’t give up” magician in him.
Like Montgomery, Shepherd got cut for fumbling a punt along with that bounce-off INT. Monty's was a special case; reports have it that he defied orders in not downing the ball.

It's uncommon for special teams play to affect the outcome of a game. That requires a big play: a punt or kick return TD, a blocked FG in close or a punt blocked deep in the opponent's territory, an onside kick recovery late in a close game, a fake FG or punt for a first down late in a close game, a kick or punt fumble recovery, a last second long FG to tie or win.

None of these things are common, most are rare. Good special teams play boils down to not giving up a big play as it is getting one.

9 extra yards on a couple of punt returns per game is better than the zero alternative, however that's an insignificant impact on a game's outcome. Some folks went gaga over getting a decent punt returner, but it's more a case of escaping the embarassment of incompetence than anything else. Unless the returner takes one to the house, or at least rips off a long one into the opponent's Red Zone, you're not gaining that much.

If you're not going rip off a long retrun, then not fumbling the d*mn ball is by far the most important thing. That pretty much goes for the rest: don't screw up is Job #1.

Last edited by a moderator:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the story line, GB barely beat the Seahawks, though they controlled almost all of it, because Seattle was so beat up and didn't have much of a team left.

Really? It was the same team the 49ers just "barely" beat except Turbin and Lynch were signed that week to play. LOL

This might be the best post I've seen on the subject. Its either this one or the previous one you made about the ceiling and floor of each team. Way to go Mondio.

A lot of people saying Graham was a foot short. Well the 49ers were a foot away from being the team that played on WC weekend. We barely beat an inferior team (their words used for effect, I'm not saying the Seahawks are inferior) and its a problem. The 49ers barely beat the same team and no one is talking about it.

The response you get is Well that was the regular season and once the playoffs start it's a whole new ballgame but at the same time 37-8 two months ago is the best predictor they can come up with.

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Key injuries to monitor for SF:

George Kittle - DNP yesterday (ankle)
Dee Ford - DNP yesterday (quad, hamstring)

It's never a bad idea to limit some players to ease them into the week when they are dealing with nagging injuries. DNP's are significant though. Perhaps they both give it a go on Sunday, but I'll be interested to see their participation level today.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This might be the best post I've seen on the subject. Its either this one or the previous one you made about the ceiling and floor of each team. Way to go Mondio.

A lot of people saying Graham was a foot short. Well the 49ers were a foot away from being the team that played on WC weekend. We barely beat an inferior team (their words used for effect, I'm not saying the Seahawks are inferior) and its a problem. The 49ers barely beat the same team and no one is talking about it.

The response you get is Well that was the regular season and once the playoffs start it's a whole new ballgame but at the same time 37-8 two months ago is the best predictor they can come up with.
I'd like to start by thanking my mother and father, and my fans...

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s gotten a bit out of control with 9ers fans here. Perfectly fine having a few fans of the opposing team here, but if the majority of posts are coming from them, it’s getting a bit ridiculous. Especially with side discussions about who is on what 9ers forum. When you want to talk to each other, this is not really the place to do so.

I’d appreciate a 2 weeks no-posting rule for new members. This way we’d still have fans of other teams such as Raptorman, but not half of the 9ers forum coming here and spam the forum.

Isn't this a public forum? As long as posters follow guidelines agreed to when they sign up anyone can post here. After Sunday no matter what the outcome of the game is these 9er fans won't coming back here until these 2 teams meet again.

CheeseNwine

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Inter-Division games are often close, so it’s unsurprising that both 49ers -Seahawks games were close, and in both games (in fact, the entire second half of the season) the 49ers were playing with tons of key players out.

You can’t go down the road of “when they played that team this happened,”
otherwise we could start arguing that Atlanta is the best team in the NFC, seeing how they beat New Orleans and the #1 seed 49ers.

That includes the 49ers soundly beating the Packers. It has absolutely no bearing on the next game.

That said, I think objectively the 49ers are the better team and will win. The 49ers were missing like eight of their best players for much of the season. They are all back. And that defense is freaking scary when they are healthy.

But then, objectively I thought without question the Ravens were far and away the better team than the Titans. Any given Sunday.

PhilaPackersFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its going to be a tough game, and the Packers need this win and move on to another Super Bowl title. The Lombardi needs to be back in Lambeau.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see Ervin get the ball on a reverse then look to throw. Maybe to Sternberger or Lewis, someone they totally would not expect to suddenly go deep

Sky King

Reaction score
I'd like to see Ervin get the ball on a reverse then look to throw. Maybe to Sternberger or Lewis, someone they totally would not expect to suddenly go deep
They haven't really done much in the area of trick plays so far this season. This is certainly a possibility along with Ervin not getting the handoff on a jet sweep only to get targeted on a wheel route off that movement seconds later.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Key injuries to monitor for SF:

George Kittle - DNP yesterday (ankle)
Dee Ford - DNP yesterday (quad, hamstring)

It's never a bad idea to limit some players to ease them into the week when they are dealing with nagging injuries. DNP's are significant though. Perhaps they both give it a go on Sunday, but I'll be interested to see their participation level today.

Kittle: Just a sore ankle. He's practicing today and will be a full go per Shanahan.
Ford: Last week was his first game back after Hamstring. Did not re-injure, they are just resting it. Will likely be limited participant tomorrow.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Inter-Division games are often close, so it’s unsurprising that both 49ers -Seahawks games were close, and in both games (in fact, the entire second half of the season) the 49ers were playing with tons of key players out.

You can’t go down the road of “when they played that team this happened,”
otherwise we could start arguing that Atlanta is the best team in the NFC, seeing how they beat New Orleans and the #1 seed 49ers.

That includes the 49ers soundly beating the Packers. It has absolutely no bearing on the next game.

That said, I think objectively the 49ers are the better team and will win. The 49ers were missing like eight of their best players for much of the season. They are all back. And that defense is freaking scary when they are healthy.

But then, objectively I thought without question the Ravens were far and away the better team than the Titans. Any given Sunday.

It really has been a hospital Ward all year, starting in week 2 (Staley broke his leg) and they didn't get ALMOST everyone back until last week. After not having a bye since week 4, getting the playoff bye was HUGE.

There were times this year they played without either of their starting tackles or their FB or even TE. Against GB, they were still down Dee Ford, Kwon Alexander and Staley. It was amazing for awhile there midseason. They'd get one guy back, but invariably they'd lose someone else.

They will still be down their Center (Richburg), best run stuffer (DJ Jones), and several reserve DEs (Blair, Moore).

I make no predictions for Sunday as I simply don't do that for fear of cursing myself, but I like the matchups, particularly with most of the troops back.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the story line, GB barely beat the Seahawks, though they controlled almost all of it, because Seattle was so beat up and didn't have much of a team left.

Really? It was the same team the 49ers just "barely" beat except Turbin and Lynch were signed that week to play. LOL

Though I agree with the sentiment. Wilson is a better matchup for the 49ers than Rodgers. They have a weakness against mobile QBs and Wilson can exploit that better than AR. I really don't see any correlation between both matches. If the Hawks were a bit more healthier, they would have beaten the 49ers definitely, but we might still have a even chance.

Reaction score
Like Montgomery, Shepherd got cut for fumbling a punt along with that bounce-off INT. Monty's was a special case; reports have it that he defied orders in not downing the ball.

It's uncommon for special teams play to affect the outcome of a game. That requires a big play: a punt or kick return TD, a blocked FG in close or a punt blocked deep in the opponent's territory, an onside kick recovery late in a close game, a fake FG or punt for a first down late in a close game, a kick or punt fumble recovery, a last second long FG to tie or win.

None of these things are common, most are rare. Good special teams play boils down to not giving up a big play as it is getting one.

9 extra yards on a couple of punt returns per game is better than the zero alternative, however that's an insignificant impact on a game's outcome. Some folks went gaga over getting a decent punt returner, but it's more a case of escaping the embarassment of incompetence than anything else. Unless the returner takes one to the house, or at least rips off a long one into the opponent's Red Zone, you're not gaining that much.

If you're not going rip off a long retrun, then not fumbling the d*mn ball is by far the most important thing. That pretty much goes for the rest: don't screw up is Job #1.
Ervin came in his first game with something like 56 punt return yards. That was game #1 and just 1 aspect of what ST is capable of.
Keep in mind we could block a Punt
We could strip n recover a fumble in a return
We could pin them deep inside the 5 yard line
We could do a fake and pick up a 1st down
We could make a long 55 yarder.
we could punt 65+ yards
We could get a return to the 50 yard line.
we could block a punt
We could play fake on a short FG and go for 7
We could onside kick
btw, These were just off the top of my head

These... along with points you made etc..
It’s really not so unusual or in inconceivable as you’ve offered in mitigating what a good ST performance can bring to the table.

Any combination of the above can change the entire outcome of a game. The game is often about momentum and ST is a key factor in momentum that is often overlooked and under appreciated. The part of momentum that’s non quantifiable but very real is how it impacts the attitude throughout all 3 phases.

This is the deep playoffs. Trick plays are far more common. If we take the attitude of fear and extreme complacency on ST? GB will write their own ticket home.
I mean this wholeheartedly, I sincerely hope we don’t go conservative and play not to lose. There is nothing worse than a timid approach that will ultimately kill momentum. We need 1 foot on the brake and one on the gas

Last edited:
H

HardRightEdge

Ervin came in his first game with something like 56 punt return yards. That was game #1 and just 1 aspect of what ST is capable of.
Keep in mind we could block a Punt
We could strip n recover a fumble in a return
We could pin them deep inside the 5 yard line
We could do a fake and pick up a 1st down
We could make a long 55 yarder.
we could punt 65+ yards
We could get a return to the 50 yard line.
we could block a punt
We could play fake on a short FG and go for 7
We could onside kick
btw, These were just off the top of my head

These... along with points you made etc..
It’s really not so unusual or in inconceivable as you’ve offered in mitigating what a good ST performance can bring to the table.

Any combination of the above can change the entire outcome of a game. The game is often about momentum and ST is a key factor in momentum that is often overlooked and under appreciated. The part of momentum that’s non quantifiable but very real is how it impacts the attitude throughout all 3 phases.

This is the deep playoffs. Trick plays are far more common. If we take the attitude of fear and extreme complacency on ST? GB will write their own ticket home.
I mean this wholeheartedly, I sincerely hope we don’t go conservative and play not to lose. There is nothing worse than a timid approach that will ultimately kill momentum. We need 1 foot on the brake and one on the gas
Anything could happen. Most of those are rare, the rest unlikely with the exception of downing a punt inside the 5. Again, as a matter of probability, an impactful special teams play is unlikely.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't the first time I've started a game day thread on this board. Everything went smoothly all the other times.... I started threads here before your first post sir...
I know this isn't too important, but you are indeed correct. I was skimming through the past archives and I stumbled upon this.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dude has been here for quite awhile.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a 14 win team that has gotten less respect than this one. I haven't seen anyone who is picking us to win, and few commentators are even giving us much of a chance. I can't refute that either. I don't think the 49ers are that much better than we are, it's just a bad matchup for us. Like the talk about quick, short passes being the key to beating them, that's not exactly our forte.

On ESPN they pointed out that Garoppollo's stats this year are very similar to Rodgers' the year he won the Super Bowl. That's surprising, considering how lauded Rodgers was and how Garoppollo is seen as more of a weak spot by many.

Sky King

Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen a 14 win team that has gotten less respect than this one. I haven't seen anyone who is picking us to win, and few commentators are even giving us much of a chance...
I relish this kind of commentary. It reminds me of the time the Packers got all the attention and the Broncos got no respect prior to the SB. Afterward, several of the Broncos players said they kept their mouths shut but saved their anger for the game. Smart and effective.

Sky King

Reaction score
Something else to consider: The 49ers got to see the worst the Packers had to offer this season. The Packers got to see about the best the 49ers had to offer this season or perhaps very close to it. So ponder which experience should be the most useful as far as accurately preparing a team for their next encounter?

If deep down inside the 49ers players are confident that their superiority is what solely caused the Packers to play poorly in November, and I'm hoping they do, then Sunday's matchup could be very interesting. One team has something to prove and the other may feel that they have proven themselves already. I really like that vibe.

Seattle49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Something else to consider: The 49ers got to see the worst the Packers had to offer this season. The Packers got to see about the best the 49ers had to offer this season or perhaps very close to it. So ponder which experience should be the most useful as far as accurately preparing a team for their next encounter?

If deep down inside the 49ers players are confident that their superiority is what solely caused the Packers to play poorly in November, and I'm hoping they do, then Sunday's matchup could be very interesting. One team has something to prove and the other may feel that they have proven themselves already. I really like that vibe.

49ers have been underrated all season long. The week before the Vikings game all we heard was how the Vikings beat the Saints and how they're going to upset the 9ers, "Vikings have more playoff experience", blah, blah, blah. All season long "who have they played", then when the beat teams like the Saints it's, "Breez had an off day", again blah, blah, blah.

Packers didn't see the 49ers best, the 9ers weren't even at full strength week 12. I don't think this game will be the same as last, I don't expect to see the same Packers team as last either. But to think you've seen everything the 9ers have to give already is just crazy.

I think both teams will be better than last game and I think the 9ers still have the edge.

OP
OP
5x49er

5x49er

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know this isn't too important, but you are indeed correct. I was skimming through the past archives and I stumbled upon this.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dude has been here for quite awhile.

https://www.packerforum.com/threads/49ers.44418/

Here is an earlier post from that same year.

Couldnt find my original thread it must have been deleted.

Thank goodness its gone!

I was a complete TROLL at the Time.:roflmao:

The super bowl loss to the Ravens really taught me humility...

Being welcomed back year after year and Allowed to post is something im Grateful for.

Sky King

Reaction score
...Packers didn't see the 49ers best, the 9ers weren't even at full strength week 12...I think both teams will be better than last game and I think the 9ers still have the edge.
If the tone is that the 49ers had beaten the Packers despite being shorthanded and not playing at their best, I absolutely love that sort of a narrative. There's nothing I would like more than for the 49ers players to feel like they whupped the Packers with one hand tied behind their back in November. What their fans think is especially interesting to me if they are reflecting accurately what their team is projecting to them through the media.

Members online

Latest posts