44th ELGTON JENKINS MISSISSIPPI STATE C

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of one year when he brought one of the leagues best when we lost our own really good center to FA and he didn't have anything left in the tank, Center has been one position we've done well with. I liked Tretter more, but also realized that cheap rookie performing almost as well, with a slight durablity advantage was going to win out. That was the situation at the time and Linsley isn't phenomenal IMO, but he's plenty good enough to not have to worry about it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Trade away Linsley? Seriously? Have you looked at his contract? That would be a a huge dead cap hit to the Packers. Linsely also hasn't missed a game in the last 2 years. Please lets not talk about gutting our OL!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably an inside linebacker. Actually, I would like to see Jenkins at center and Linsley at guard. But maybe Linsley can't play there very well...so trade him while he still looks good. I just don't believe all the hype on him. I thought we should have kept the other center that went to Cleveland and is starting there. I have a higher opinion on what a center brings to the line than most...certainly a lot more than TT had.

Being an ex center myself I have a special affinity for the most important position on the team

I was fine moving on from Tretter and
going with Linsley even though I did like Tretter. I like Linsley just fine but if Jenkins makes him expendable as a free agent or for cap savings I'd be fine with that too.

The only thing about it that bothers me a little is that if that happens then you are looking at drafting another guard next year. That is assuming he takes the starting guard spot this year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What we're seeing now is he's a good pass blocker but needs work in run blocking. If you don't believe me see the PFF grades quoted above. What I've noticed is he has trouble dialing in on his target at the second level. I haven't watched him on every play, but it kinda jumped out a couple of times where the defender evaded him pretty easily. It's much better to have a guy start out this way than the other way around.

So what does LeFleur value more at LG? Taylor with his experiece and probably a better run blocker at this moment? Or the new guy with upside? That it's the blind side might mean something. Maybe not. We'll see who's out there with the starters next week if they in fact take the field.
No I trust you on the run blocking issue. I think a STARTER in the NFL should be able to do both. So the smart decision is to go with Taylor and allow Jenkins the ability to round out his game. He seems like a talent with a fair amount of upside, but it’s all about winning now. He’ll get his snaps.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with everything that all of you have said. Considering our line, it does not make much sense to trade Linsley. Linsley was drafted in the 5th round. And we have not had a middle linebacker drafted early either. That was why I made a comment about TT. Anyway, all this is just my opinion. For one thing I do not have faith in grades on the O line. But I do believe that the center has a lot to do with having a good running game. So if Jenkins is a better center than Linsley; I think he should play there. If Linsley can't play guard then I think his skills are suspect. After all, he played guard at Ohio State b4 he played center. I am more than willing to check things out and see what the coaches end up doing. Am looking forward to a great season starting with a win over the bears.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Probably an inside linebacker. Actually, I would like to see Jenkins at center and Linsley at guard. But maybe Linsley can't play there very well...so trade him while he still looks good. I just don't believe all the hype on him. I thought we should have kept the other center that went to Cleveland and is starting there. I have a higher opinion on what a center brings to the line than most...certainly a lot more than TT had.
Trade Linsley? Ummm, no.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Joe. Obviously you did not read the very last post b4 yours. Anyway, it is pretty much a given that if you want to get something; you have to give up something. But I am no longer advocating a trade. Just would like to see Jenkins at center.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Joe. Obviously you did not read the very last post b4 yours. Anyway, it is pretty much a given that if you want to get something; you have to give up something. But I am no longer advocating a trade. Just would like to see Jenkins at center.
Thanks for the clarification. C is Jenkins’ best position coming out of college. Certainly an option down the road.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of one year when he brought one of the leagues best when we lost our own really good center to FA and he didn't have anything left in the tank, Center has been one position we've done well with.
I believe that was 2012, and to be honest, the year wasn't a total loss and it eventually led to the emergence of Evan Dietrich Smith as our solid center.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jenkins strength coming our of college was his ability to play all along the line. Good addition considering the injuries across the OL. And I got what you were saying. Geez!

I wouldn't feel comfortable about playing Jenkins at either tackle position.

Everything I have ever read about him says he is a fantastic center. If that is the case; I believe it is an important enough position to put our best player there. Most likely him.

At this point Linsley is the best option at center.

Trade away Linsley? Seriously? Have you looked at his contract? That would be a a huge dead cap hit to the Packers. Linsely also hasn't missed a game in the last 2 years. Please lets not talk about gutting our OL!

I agree there's no reason to trade Linsley but the Packers could afford to with the move resulting in $3.15 million of cap saving for this season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't feel comfortable about playing Jenkins at either tackle position.

At this point Linsley is the best option at center.

I agree there's no reason to trade Linsley but the Packers could afford to with the move resulting in $3.15 million of cap saving for this season.
I agree about Linsley as tackle. He has played all OL positions, so if injuries pile up, he could play. I think he played most of his college ball at C. As for trading Linsley, I’d like to see how Jenkins performs first, kind of a catch 22 as Linsley is the starter.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to clarify, I wasn't talking about Linsley lining up at tackle at all.
I get your point. But if injuries occur, and they do, he at least has the benefit of playing the position. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.

greengold

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now is not the time to trade OL, really. I'm perfectly comfortable with Taylor starting LG and Jenkins being able to develop his techniques more throughout the season. If Jenkins truly wins, then that would be a remarkable showing of talent from the rookie. I do believe firmly he was a complete steal at #44 in the draft. Jenkins was arguably the top C in the draft.

Someone posted in the Sternberger thread the possibility of trading Lane Taylor. I get it for cap purposes, as his number would be good savings, and if it is for a quality starter in return at a position of need, yes. I guess we are set up to handle that one. But, no way would I trade Linsley. He's damn good. He's damned important too.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Someone posted in the Sternberger thread the possibility of trading Lane Taylor. I get it for cap purposes, as his number would be good savings, and if it is for a quality starter in return at a position of need, yes.

More than that, I believe 2016 was the year we had to trot out an all Guard offensive line, as Bulaga, Bhak, Spriggs, and even Kyle Murphy were all injured. We had no tackles healthy enough to dress, let alone play.

Taylor played LT. Was he great? No. But it wasn't a dumpster fire. While that seems like an incredibly low bar, I direct you to Spriggs, Murphy, and Newhouse. Pretty sure we won both (I can't remember if we played 1 or 2 games with 4 guards and a center) time that lineup was trotted out.

Taylor isn't a super star, but he's adequate enough. And for a starter, he's pretty cheap. And can survive at LT for a week or two. It wouldn't surprise me if he's the backup LT this year as well--if Bhak gets hurt, slide Taylor over to LT, Jenkins plays LG. At least to finish a game.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I get your point. But if injuries occur, and they do, he at least has the benefit of playing the position. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.

What?

I don't think Linsley has ever played anything iOL.

There's no chance he could play OT at the professional level.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What?

I don't think Linsley has ever played anything iOL.

Not for the Packers, but in college he played G and T before becoming the starter at C his senior year. I think most offensive lineman are versatile enough to be able to play G or T position, its just a matter of how well they can do it.

Do you want to move Linsley to other positions? Probably not, but if Linsley is a better emergency Tackle than Jenkins, in a pinch you would play Jenkins at C and Linsley at T, but I doubt that happens unless you have a ton of injuries during a game.

Jenkins could end up being a steal, his versatility to play both G and C, without much of a drop off in quality, is a very valuable feature. But I think as long as Linsley is healthy, he is your full time center.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not for the Packers, but in college he played G and T before becoming the starter at C his senior year. I think most offensive lineman are versatile enough to be able to play G or T position, its just a matter of how well they can do it.

Do you want to move Linsley to other positions? Probably not, but if Linsley is a better emergency Tackle than Jenkins, in a pinch you would play Jenkins at C and Linsley at T, but I doubt that happens unless you have a ton of injuries during a game.

Jenkins could end up being a steal, his versatility to play both G and C, without much of a drop off in quality, is a very valuable feature. But I think as long as Linsley is healthy, he is your full time center.

Oh come on. As far as I remember, he only started at the iOL positions at OSU. I don't care about spot plays.

Jenkins actually started games at OT. If any of those two are getting moved to OT (which should never happen) it's definitely not going to be Linsley. He'd get destroyed.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tbh man, if you think most OL are versatile enough to play any position, then you don't understand OL play.

Just switching sides is very difficult. Switching positions even more so.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tbh man, if you think most OL are versatile enough to play any position, then you don't understand OL play.

Just switching sides is very difficult. Switching positions even more so.
I think you are equating me saying that they have the ability to switch with the success of doing so, which I never said. Further, I even stated that it isn't something I would like to see happen. All I said was that in a game day emergency, it has been done and could be done, lineman have been forced into playing a position that they aren't familiar with. You stated that there was no chance that Linsely could play T in the NFL, I challenged you on that.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you are equating me saying that they have the ability to switch with the success of doing so, which I never said. Further, I even stated that it isn't something I would like to see happen. All I said was that in a game day emergency, it has been done and could be done, lineman have been forced into playing a position that they aren't familiar with. You stated that there was no chance that Linsely could play T in the NFL, I challenged you on that.

There is no chance Linsley could play T in the NFL. Not at even below-replacement level.

He never even starter at OT in college! Lineman don't get moved out, they get moved in!

Linsley is 6'3 with 32" arms, he plays low with leverage, isn't what one considers very athletic, there's no chance he ever plays at OT. Never. It's not his profile. With his size deficiencies, he'd have to be an elite athlete, which he is not. He's a good iOL, but c'mon...we all know he could never play OT. He'd honestly get destroyed. Even TJ Lang and Josh Sitton didn't fare well at OT in the NFL, and they were actually good at it in college!

Reaction score
Thankfully we have at least 3 decent prospects at backup OT. Alex, Elgton and Billy. I pray we don’t get past that.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I said was that in a game day emergency, it has been done and could be done, lineman have been forced into playing a position that they aren't familiar with. You stated that there was no chance that Linsely could play T in the NFL, I challenged you on that.

While the position of an absolute ('no chance') is pretty easy to smack down because it IS an absolute...the situation that I'd be willing to move Linsley to OT, either OT, is absurd.

We'd need to be so injured our long snapper has to be playing center and a d-lineman or two filling in a guard for me to think "Yes, Linsley playing tackle is clearly the best option right now."

Yes, he's still hitting people, but he doesn't have the right physical talents to excel there. I predict he'd be exposed in about 2 plays. Short arms, substandard athlete for the position, etc etc.

I could be wrong--and hopefully we never have to find out who is wrong here--but to say I would be shocked is an understatement.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
While the position of an absolute ('no chance') is pretty easy to smack down because it IS an absolute...the situation that I'd be willing to move Linsley to OT, either OT, is absurd.

We'd need to be so injured our long snapper has to be playing center and a d-lineman or two filling in a guard for me to think "Yes, Linsley playing tackle is clearly the best option right now."

Yes, he's still hitting people, but he doesn't have the right physical talents to excel there. I predict he'd be exposed in about 2 plays. Short arms, substandard athlete for the position, etc etc.

I could be wrong--and hopefully we never have to find out who is wrong here--but to say I would be shocked is an understatement.

Thanks, you made my point. When someone posts an "absolute" such as:

...they better be prepared to defend the zero possibility that they are claiming.

Do I think Linsely will ever be forced into playing T? Probably not, but you just never know with injuries on game day. Do I think the Packer coaches ever think about things like this? Of course I do, it is their job to have emergency plans. Who is the backup kicker if both Crosby and Scott go down in a game? Who is your #2 emergency QB?

Members online