Jenkins out for awhile

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they should give Michael Jordan or Sean Ryan a shot at guard. Not sure right or left. Wherever they play best and put Runyan on the other side. Sounds like several weeks for Jenkins.

ClutchLove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't Rhyan supposed to project to be like Josh Sitton?

About time they gave this guy a shot, no?

Reaction score
I think they should give Michael Jordan or Sean Ryan a shot at guard. Not sure right or left. Wherever they play best and put Runyan on the other side. Sounds like several weeks for Jenkins.
Yeah. It’s time to find out who’s who in our depth.
Although I think Bak plays this week. It’s clear our Staff has a love affair with Newman. What concerns me is how bad must the others be to have Newman as our go to guy?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What concerns me is how bad must the others be to have Newman as our go to guy?
I think this is the most likely answer, and he's also got seniority and more knowledge of our system.

Rhyan looked bad in preseason. Newman ugh...can Walker play G? Nijman/Jones at LT?
Lukas Van Ness looked like a 6th round pick throughout training camp and preseason games. Now in two real games he has looked pretty good. Conversely, Rasheed Walker looked like a stud in the preseason but really struggled at the start of the Atlanta game.

The reality is that some guys don't practice well, either because they don't put in the effort or it just doesn't show. Whatever the case may be, we know that some guys are just gamers. I'm always in favor of rotating your guys through to find the right fit. I couldn't give two schlitz if Rhyan looked bad in the preseason. If he knows the plays, get him out there and see how he does.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is the most likely answer, and he's also got seniority and more knowledge of our system.

Lukas Van Ness looked like a 6th round pick throughout training camp and preseason games. Now in two real games he has looked pretty good. Conversely, Rasheed Walker looked like a stud in the preseason but really struggled at the start of the Atlanta game.

The reality is that some guys don't practice well, either because they don't put in the effort or it just doesn't show. Whatever the case may be, we know that some guys are just gamers. I'm always in favor of rotating your guys through to find the right fit. I couldn't give two schlitz if Rhyan looked bad in the preseason. If he knows the plays, get him out there and see how he does.
This is not the first significant injury that Jenkins has suffered. Probably nothing he could do about it but it is what it is and we need durability.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Injuries happen, this is not a year ending one for Jenkins, and he is still the LG of our future and present. We are also sitting pretty solidly at LT in the future even if Bakh drops...Walker and Tom show signs of capable Tackle play and truthfully if Bakh and Yosh both leave in off season as I predict I wouldn't be shocked if Gute drafts a top 100 or 120 pick LT and maybe does a Veldheer type tackle free agent signing to be safe.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember thinking at one time that we were totally set on the left side for a long time to come. As it turned out...
This is the thing that kills you with injuries. Remember back in what was it 2016? What a job by TT, we had one of the best offenses in the league and he had all the starters under contract through that and The following season.
Then Jordy goes down for the year in preseason and that unit never got to play a down together.

Reaction score
I couldn't give two schlitz if Rhyan looked bad in the preseason. If he knows the plays, get him out there and see how he does.
I agree. Rhyan actually did have Preseason game where he played good. His strength is leaning run blocking, he’s a bully in that phase. My guess is he may not be quite as experienced in Defending pass sets against this type caliber Defense.

That said, If we plan on playing to NO weakest link it would running the ball more. That’s a phase I’d be totally ok because he’s actually good on both 1st and 2nd levels. He’s also got a that Linsley anchor in him.

Now I know our 3rd Round draft has not been stellar. However they chose him as a top 100 player in college and that doesn’t happen by accident. He’s a tremendously powerful athlete and it might be time to see what he’s got.

Last edited:

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Rhyan actually did have Preseason game where he played good. His strength is leaning run blocking, he’s a bully in that phase. My guess is he may not be quite as experienced in Defending pass sets against this type caliber Defense.

That said, If we plan on playing to NO weakest link it would running the ball more. That’s a phase I’d be totally ok because he’s actually good on both 1st and 2nd levels. He’s also got a that Linsley anchor in him.

Now I know our 3rd Round draft has not been stellar. However they chose him as a top 100 player in college and that doesn’t happen by accident. He’s a tremendously powerful athlete and it might be time to see what he’s got.

The third round of the draft has been Gutey's Achilles heel. As for who should start for EJ, we'll just have to trust the coaches who see these guys every day in practice.

ClutchLove

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I'd really like to see Rhyan progress ... but I mean it's probably just Gute's Achilles Heel... much like TT in the 1st (lol)...

I mean it is what it is... Gute has *mostly* been VERY good with his 1st round picks and TT was VERY good with his 2nd round picks