44th ELGTON JENKINS MISSISSIPPI STATE C

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Teams do stupid **** all the time

What's more likely?

The Packers hired a new HC. An incumbent LG coming off a down year is deemed to be a poor fit. A replacement is drafted.

OR

The Packers hired a new HC. The front office goes and finds that new head coach a RG to fit his offense. That same front office turns around and drafts said RG's replacement weeks later.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's more likely?

The Packers hired a new HC. An incumbent LG coming off a down year is deemed to be a poor fit. A replacement is drafted.

OR

The Packers hired a new HC. The front office goes and finds that new head coach a RG to fit his offense. That same front office turns around and drafts said RG's replacement weeks later.

Or.... Team hires a new HC and signs a guy they view as a stop gap at RG and then draft a guy they feel can be the long term starter while having the guy they signed either be a place holder till they feel hes ready or provide depth as a swing player along the line

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or.... Team hires a new HC and signs a guy they view as a stop gap at RG and then draft a guy they feel can be the long term starter while having the guy they signed either be a place holder till they feel hes ready or provide depth as a swing player along the line

1) Why would they sign a stop Gap to that kind of contract? They clearly do not view Turner as a stop gap.

2) Why are you assuming that Lane Taylor would start over Turner or Jenkins?

3) They had Turner working at RG in voluntary workouts. Clearly, that's where they expect him to be playing. Given that, and his contract, isn't it logical to expect Jenkins to be slotted at LG to compete with Taylor?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

They gave a 4 year 28M contract to a guy they viewed as a stop gap and then immediately replaced him? That doesn't add up at all.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I view what they have done as the Packers finally realizing that it takes more than 4/5 quality OL-men to make it through the season! Depth, Depth Depth!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They gave a 4 year 28M contract to a guy they viewed as a stop gap and then immediately replaced him? That doesn't add up at all.

In fairness hes never going to see the last two years of that deal. (really shouldn't even see the 2nd year of it but theres no real savings cutting after one year)

They got overzealous and overpaid for a mediocre at best linemen this off season that could provide depth across the line should someone better come along and just drafted a better player.

Thought it was a bad signing at the time and think this selection makes it even worse imo. Not sure why people feel the need to defend every single move. Is it because Brandon scared all you guys? People are allowed to be criticle

Last edited:

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not SUPER high on Turner, and I honestly think we could have gotten better, but then we would have paid alot more. He is a starting Guard in the NFL, and just like in the Draft maybe we overpaid just a little, it happens in FA. But I don't by any means call it a mistake, we had question marks at both Guard spots and they both needed to be addressed, either through the Draft or Free Agency. I get it you're not sold, but let's get behind the guy and see how he does.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In fairness hes never going to see the last two years of that deal. (really shouldn't even see the 2nd year of it but theres no real savings cutting after one year)

They got overzealous and overpaid for a mediocre at best linemen this off season that could provide depth across the line should someone better come along and just drafted a better player.

Thought it was a bad signing at the time and think this selection makes it even worse imo. Not sure why people feel the need to defend every single move. Is it because Brandon scared all you guys? People are allowed to be criticle

How about pulling your head out of your back side and getting a clue before you start acting like a ******* and telling me what I think?

I was not jazzed by the Billy Turner deal, nor did I defend it-- then or now. I thought it seemed high. But any idiot can see that they targeted him and paid him to play. Explaining that to people who are seemingly struggling with basics is not the same as defending the move as being brilliant.

YOU are the one who needs to check your bias. You didn't like the move, so now you're concocting this ******** narrative where they've somehow moved on from him mere weeks after paying him... before he's even played a down.

If you don't like the Packers moves, fine. But get your **** straight before coming after me for feeling different.

Also LOL at the idea that anyone gives a **** what Brandon thinks.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about pulling your head out of your back side and getting a clue before you start acting like a ******* and telling me what I think?

I was not jazzed by the Billy Turner deal, nor did I defend it-- then or now. I thought it seemed high. But any idiot can see that they targeted him and paid him to play. Explaining that to people who are seemingly struggling with basics is not the same as defending the move as being brilliant.

YOU are the one who needs to check your bias. You didn't like the move, so now you're concocting this ******** narrative where they've somehow moved on from him mere weeks after paying him... before he's even played a down.

If you don't like the Packers moves, fine. But get your **** straight before coming after me for feeling different.

Also LOL at the idea that anyone gives a **** what Brandon thinks.

I'm not concocting anything by saying that I believe the Packers were comfortable signing a guy where they felt the worst case for them was as the top backup across the line. That's not me saying they're moving on. It's simply different then "signed with sole intention of being the starting Guard" with no wiggle room in between

Also you should probably calm down and take a nap if that one comment offended you.

This started out with me specifically stating this pick made me like the Turner signing even less because I feel like we just got a better player then the one we signed. Not sure how that was a controversial statement for anyone that didnt like the signing to begin with but here we are....

Last edited:

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I view what they have done as the Packers finally realizing that it takes more than 4/5 quality OL-men to make it through the season! Depth, Depth Depth!
exactly. the Packers are going to put the best players on the field regardless of salary. if this guy is good enough to take someones job as a rookie that would be fantastic but i don't see it happening. experience matters. it's funny...the a&m DT we drafted said he played against jenkins this season and said he'd make a great center.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I'm not concocting anything by saying that I believe the Packers were comfortable signing a guy where they felt the worst case for them was as the top backup across the line. That's not me saying they're moving on. It's simply different then "signed with sole intention of being the starting Guard" with no wiggle room in between

Also you should probably calm down and take a nap if that one comment offended you

I'm not going to claim to know the internal thought process behind signing Turner. But I will pretty confidently argue that drafting Jenkins wasn't them saying "oh crap... we should never have signed Turner... let's take this guy to make up for it."

We were just discussing moves before you decided to impugn motivations and make me out to be some homer because I'm supposedly scared of the biggest idiot on a fan forum. So maybe take your own advice.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to claim to know the internal thought process behind signing Turner. But I will pretty confidently argue that drafting Jenkins wasn't them saying "oh crap... we should never have signed Turner... let's take this guy to make up for it."

We were just discussing moves before you decided to impugn motivations and make me out to be some homer because I'm supposedly scared of the biggest idiot on a fan forum. So maybe take your own advice.
right. they wanted turner because he's young, experienced, and would hit the ground running. it gave them flexibility in the draft. no need to panic at OL when there were more pressing needs. jenkins has a good chance to be the first option off the bench at most any OL position if he shows well in camp.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Meant for it to be "scarred" not "scared of" and a lil tongue n cheek. Calmness is key. (and naps are awesome btw. they only get better with age)

Also I'd agree the Packers weren't thinking "oh crap" either. Rather that hey "We may have signed Turner but that's not going to stop us from drafting a better player"

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Rodell! What did you think of the first two picks? I didn't see you comment on those.

Wasn’t thrilled with Gary. Guy has ALL the physical attributes to be a dawg, but he disappears and underwhelmed at Michigan.

I like Savage,the guy is usually all over the field and will probably start sooner than Later. My issue with him is he’s a bit on the short side. If I could compare him to anyone it’d be Bob Sanders before all the injures.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Meant for it to be "scarred" not "scared of" and a lil tongue n cheek. Calmness is key. (and naps are awesome btw. they only get better with age)

Also I'd agree the Packers weren't thinking "oh crap" either. Rather that hey "We may have signed Turner but that's not going to stop us from drafting a better player"

Fair enough. We can reset.

My opinion is that Jenkins was drafted with LG in mind.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just reading about each draft pick, one underlying theme with almost all of them is "High Character". Not sure if its a checkbox on Gutes list, but sure seems to be something most of these guys have.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fair enough. We can reset.

My opinion is that Jenkins was drafted with LG in mind.

Agreed we'll reset.

I personally think Taylor is safe for this year at LG and Jenkins will be the RG with Turner backing up the line and possibly being an option to jump into a starting role next year if they decide to let Taylor walk and all of that was probably part of the thought process as a possibility when they decided to sign Turner

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
right. they wanted turner because he's young, experienced, and would hit the ground running. it gave them flexibility in the draft. no need to panic at OL when there were more pressing needs. jenkins has a good chance to be the first option off the bench at most any OL position if he shows well in camp.

Agreed we'll reset.

I personally think Taylor is safe for this year at LG and Jenkins will be the RG with Turner backing up the line and possibly being an option to jump into a starting role next year if they decide to let Taylor walk and all of that was probably part of the thought process as a possibility when they decided to sign Turner

It seems to me that we needed 2 players on the OL at least. Like GBG says by signing Turner it gave us flexibility and options during the draft. I do think they signed him with the expectation that he would be one of the starting guards. That doesn't mean they would not take a player in the draft that might take over that spot instead.

RR may be right, Taylor may end up improving enough and Jenkins might be good enough to knock Turner out of the starting lineup. While paying a backup that much money isn't the ideal situation its not all that bad. I'd rather have my top backup be a guy that I had confidence in to be a starter rather than someone who I don't want to see on the field.

Its fine to have some of your depth be young guys you are developing from scratch but having some depth that has starter experience is a good thing as well.

All in all I like the way our line is looking. I won't be quite as worried now when Bulaga goes down with his annual ailment.

scotscheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Croquet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not SUPER high on Turner, and I honestly think we could have gotten better, but then we would have paid alot more. He is a starting Guard in the NFL, and just like in the Draft maybe we overpaid just a little, it happens in FA. But I don't by any means call it a mistake, we had question marks at both Guard spots and they both needed to be addressed, either through the Draft or Free Agency. I get it you're not sold, but let's get behind the guy and see how he does.
I think the exciting news is we now have 3 more offensive line options than we did at the end of last season. That is something to celebrate.

But also. Not one of them has started a game for the Green Bay Packers. YET.

GO PACK GO!

H

HardRightEdge

PFF has a note out on Jenkins: 45 pass blocks in the first two preseason games, one of three rookie OLs identified as having given up zero pressures. In a second note, they give him an 87.7 pass blocking grade; 43.1 for run blocking. That's in line with my casual eye test. Of course a lot of these snaps were against second and third tier guys, but it is a promising start even if the run blocking causes him to not bump Taylor.

It will be interesting to see if he gets a bunch of snaps at LG in these last preseason games to give Taylor a push.

Anyway, there's a fair chance he'd be the first guy off the bench if any of the starting OLs goes down, either as a direct plug-in at OG or C or at OG in a line shuffle pushing Taylor or Turner to OT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts