30 yard throw to the endzone on 4th & 1?

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you serious? Why would MM make that call? I could see calling that on 3rd & 1, but 4th & 1? Why not hand it to Kuhn, Nance, or Starks? I mean for gods sake, we only needed a freaking yard! Keep that drive going!

What was he thinking??

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Play calling (official thread mods?)

Alright, so what do we do about our play calling?

Clearly MM cannot be counted on to make offensive play calls. This week was and abysmal example of this. I bet if you were to go back and watch previous games this year, at points where we struggled, we can put some blame on the offensive calls.

Our defense has been solid and MM and the coaching staff have done an incredible job of turning the injury riddled team around. He deserves praise for that.

My opinion is that we strip MM of his play calling duties and give them to someone else (who? I don't know). Keep him on as HC because I haven't seen anything to give us cause to act otherwise, and that's too big a change at this point. I mean, you can blame this loss on the OL all you want, but why couldn't he start calling screens or short passes? They worked on that last drive, all the way down the field, so what do we do on 4th? Bomb to the end zone???? My cat could've called a better play. (That's it for my little venting)

:detsux: <-- thanks for the loss *** holes

:chisux:<-- burn in hell

:viksux:<-- LOL

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well I understand why he didnt want to hand it off. That D line was kinda decent....

Short throw would have been my call with 5 wide but whatev

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Yeah, I was expecting a short quick slant for a freaking yard. C'Mon!!! If it had worked, we'd be calling McCarthy a genius. He's gonna eat crow for this, but really the whole team stunk.

Jennings dropped TD pass....still hurts.

OP
OP
Oklahoma_Packer

Oklahoma_Packer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Short throw would have been my call with 5 wide but whatev

Well heck, even that would be better than what MM called. Especially when Rodgers isn't in the game. Quick slant, curl, or a handoff would've been a much better call imo.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Running it would likely have been stuffed considering the game's history. Short quick out would have been best. Or even bootleg to give our QB some space and an option. But, I think going for the home run, if one polls 100 of the top experts, would rank near the bottom.

narmer2000

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sickening is the only way you can describe the play calling. Who the hell calls a 30 yard pass on a 4th and 1 when you are driving? Why not run on the 3rd and 1 as well. The play that they settled for a field goal was also a coaching snafu.

This guy is retarded

Travis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're absolutely right Inc...MM can't see the big picture in any game because he's trying to call every play, and he doesn't do that very well. The team has played well at times considering all the injuries, but imagine if they had a full time O=Coordinater. The defense has been awesome, but even the Monster (Clay Mathews) is going to get tired; saving MM's behind every week. If MM can't see the logic, than he needs to go.

TampaPacMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This call is going to cost the Packers a chance to make the playoffs. It is absolutely inexcusable to gamble your entire season on such a high risk play.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We CAN'T RUN for a yard. The call on 2nd and 1 irritated me as much as the last pass. We were moving down the field with passing and couldn't run all day. Why would anyone call a run?

We still have a chance at the division if the Bears lose. The only high note of the day.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
yeah lets blame MM When Flynn said HE gave Jennings a late signal to change his route

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this play reminded me of the fake field goal play to quarless. jennings was open just an over throw. i think play calling was terrible. bah i am so mad right now.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Flynn had him. Just missed the throw.

It's a brilliant call if Flynn hits that throw.

Still, though, it's not what I would've done.

BBalzWI

Cheesehead
Reaction score
3rd and 1. . .deep fade routes. (i know this was 4th and 1) but it's still the story of our season. Success rate isn't high and it's became predictable.

He missed the pass but knowing the situation, with our backup QB. . .I'm never a fan of that call.

Either way, if you can't beat Detroit in December in a dome vs their 3rd string QB. . .don't deserve to be a play off team imo. Regardless of our situation.

PFanCan

Reaction score
yeah lets blame MM When Flynn said HE gave Jennings a late signal to change his route

No, that would be silly. Let's change the blame on that particular call to Flynn.

The rest of game though, remain solidly on Mr. McCarthy's shoulders. Hope he "fixes" that this week!

PFanCan

Reaction score
Either way, if you can't beat Detroit in December in a dome vs their 3rd string QB. . .don't deserve to be a play off team imo. Regardless of our situation.

Agreed. Considering the injuries, who can complain with how the Packers have played overall this season?

Bummer to lose today, though.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Are you serious? Why would MM make that call? I could see calling that on 3rd & 1, but 4th & 1? Why not hand it to Kuhn, Nance, or Starks? I mean for gods sake, we only needed a freaking yard! Keep that drive going!

What was he thinking??

With Rodgers it would have been a TD and you wouldn't be whining about it.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
3rd and 1. . .deep fade routes. (i know this was 4th and 1) but it's still the story of our season. Success rate isn't high and it's became predictable.

He missed the pass but knowing the situation, with our backup QB. . .I'm never a fan of that call.

If you qualify, you deserve to go, period. BTW, if we had run the ball and gotten stuffed like we were getting all game long, the same people would be saying, "I can't believe MM made that horrible call! Why do you run when we haven't been effective on the ground all game long! Doesn't he know we can't run! Why didn't he use play action!"

C'mon people. Take a breath already.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
With Rodgers it would have been a TD and you wouldn't be whining about it.
Not necessarily. It would have had a greater chance of being a TD. But yes, then everyone's tone would've changed in that case and everyone would be praising MM, neglecting the fact that it's a stupid call anyways.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem wasn't the 4th and 1. Jennings was singled out with a lesser CB, and had him beat. The throw was poor.

You know what the problem was? it was 2nd and 1. We had 3 chances to call a high percentage 1 yard play, but MM didn't.

We couldn't run the whole game, yet he called a RUN OUT OF THE SHOTGUN TO JACKSON. Then, the next play, he calls A LONG PASS. Look at the patters. Not a single one with less than 5 yards.

Good playcalling would've won this game. The OL was PUTRID, nothing short of it, and it has been the whole season, specially in the run.

But good coaches figure a way to win despite the team's flaw. MM doesn't seem to be competent enough to do it.

Are we a WCO? Because every time I see us running to set up the pass, and with only 3 or 4 quick passes the whole game.

Where are the slants? Where are the RB passes? Where are the screens? Those are bonafide ways to overcome pressure and bad OL. Yet the playcall continues to consist of runs on first downs, followed by innefective playaction passes or deep routes.

When the OL is working, when there's some running game, it flows beautifully. But when the OL is not working, we're doomed.

Mko

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Check MM post game speech...he said it himself that he shouldn't have called the play. And even if you are right why the hell is he giving the 2nd string qb the option to check out of a play?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem wasn't the 4th and 1. Jennings was singled out with a lesser CB, and had him beat. The throw was poor.

You know what the problem was? it was 2nd and 1. We had 3 chances to call a high percentage 1 yard play, but MM didn't.

We couldn't run the whole game, yet he called a RUN OUT OF THE SHOTGUN TO JACKSON. Then, the next play, he calls A LONG PASS. Look at the patters. Not a single one with less than 5 yards.

Good playcalling would've won this game. The OL was PUTRID, nothing short of it, and it has been the whole season, specially in the run.

But good coaches figure a way to win despite the team's flaw. MM doesn't seem to be competent enough to do it.

Are we a WCO? Because every time I see us running to set up the pass, and with only 3 or 4 quick passes the whole game.

Where are the slants? Where are the RB passes? Where are the screens? Those are bonafide ways to overcome pressure and bad OL. Yet the playcall continues to consist of runs on first downs, followed by innefective playaction passes or deep routes.

When the OL is working, when there's some running game, it flows beautifully. But when the OL is not working, we're doomed.

Play action doesn't work if you have no running threat, and we have no running threat. McCarthy was moving the ball at the end and screwed it up with his run on 2nd and 1. An effective run either requires blocking, which we don't have; or a pro-bowl running back, which we don't have. McC probably thought he would catch the Lions by surprise with the run, but he was moving down the field on nice pass plays--why screw with success?

If Flynn changed the 4th down play it ranks up there with T.J. Rubley ******** up in the Humpty Dome years ago.

This loss likely ends our playoff chances; but the whipping the bears took today does still offer some hope.

If we play like we're capable of we can beat New England. If we play like today we won't win another game this season.

I think Thompson knows talent and I think there's enough talent on the o line to be effective. I'm laying it on the o line coaching--we absolutely have to develop a run game if we're going to contend for another Championship. This group of offensive coaches apparently are unable to do that.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Check MM post game speech...he said it himself that he shouldn't have called the play. And even if you are right why the hell is he giving the 2nd string qb the option to check out of a play?

Well I heard it on fox 6 out of milwaukee right after the game..

Question was what about that last drive.

Flyn said I gave HIM a signal for a different route

It could have been about a different play, but thats not what I thought I heard

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On Flynn's performance: "I thought he did a good job. He managed the game very well. He was in some tough spots. The first interception down there in the red zone was not a good read but I thought he did a very good job first and second down. I thought third down he was in tough spots with the pass rush they were putting on him. We had a chance for the big play on the fourth-and-2 and I probably should not have put him in that position. It was the defense we thought we were going to get there and the matchup and we just didn't execute it."
Was that a called play: "Absolutely."

But I also did hear Flynn saying he did a hand jesture. But I don't know if he was talking about the Jennings play, or the Driver play, the int play.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
But I also did hear Flynn saying he did a hand jesture. But I don't know if he was talking about the Jennings play, or the Driver play, the int play.

Maybe it was the Driver play...

Maybe what I heard was the reporter say that DRIVER play

And I didnt clearly hear the end of the question..Could hardly hear the reporters to well..But I know I heard that DRIVE

Members online

Latest posts