30 yard throw to the endzone on 4th & 1?

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
The problem wasn't the 4th and 1. Jennings was singled out with a lesser CB, and had him beat. The throw was poor.

You know what the problem was? it was 2nd and 1. We had 3 chances to call a high percentage 1 yard play, but MM didn't.

We couldn't run the whole game, yet he called a RUN OUT OF THE SHOTGUN TO JACKSON. Then, the next play, he calls A LONG PASS. Look at the patters. Not a single one with less than 5 yards.

Good playcalling would've won this game. The OL was PUTRID, nothing short of it, and it has been the whole season, specially in the run.

But good coaches figure a way to win despite the team's flaw. MM doesn't seem to be competent enough to do it.

Are we a WCO? Because every time I see us running to set up the pass, and with only 3 or 4 quick passes the whole game.

Where are the slants? Where are the RB passes? Where are the screens? Those are bonafide ways to overcome pressure and bad OL. Yet the playcall continues to consist of runs on first downs, followed by innefective playaction passes or deep routes.

When the OL is working, when there's some running game, it flows beautifully. But when the OL is not working, we're doomed.

I agree with everything you wrote, RS.

From the first series until the last deep throw, I was yelling at the TV for more short passes, slants, quick-outs, and screens. The few that occurred mostly went for easy 5-10 yards a piece. But, McCarthy gets bored with those plays, I guess.

Anyone notice that whenever the cameras show Capers up in his box, he is watching the players on the field? Rarely do I see him looking at his charts, if ever. He calls the defense using his instinct and what he sees.

However, contrast this with McCarthy. Whenever the network show him on the sidelines, he is almost always staring at his charts. I would think he knows this chart inside-and-out and really doesn't need to look at it. But, he does... Not sure why.

Mr. StyleZ

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Watching Flynn's INT in the endzone... If MM allows Flynn to change any routes from here out, something is badly wrong. Like Flynn didn't even notice the LB right in the middle of the endzone sitting in his zone? That was the play of the game if you ask me. If we settle for a FG instead of INT, we still have the chance to win 9-7 at the end. We shouldn't be running slants that close to the end zone. It's too compressed there. A fade to the corner or a bootleg or anything would have been better for a backup.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts:

1. It was the proper call in any other situation other than 4th and 1. I think Flynn was coached to take advantage of matchup like that, but he shouldn't have done it in that situation.

2. If MM stated he shouldn't have called it and Flynn said he made the hand gesture, I think MM is just trying to take the heat for it.

3. Definitely should not have run the ball. A short to intermediate pass would be the thing off play action. Roll the QB out and give the option to run for a first. Very difficult to defend against.

4. Can't believe this hasn't come up yet, but didn't it look like Jennings was pretty much tackled on the play? I didn't have a great view of the game, but I was sure there was going to be a PI call on the play.

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall, it was a low percentage play. MM himself admitted in the press conference that maybe he shouldn't have had Flynn make that call. If MM had called the same play with Aaron Rodgers at the helm, and it failed, how upset would we be? Of course, the chances of it succeeding would have been greatly increased.

I think that's where the problem lies. MM takes chances but sometimes he doesn't he gambles too much. This play was FOR THE GAME. A low % play with the back up! I don't think MM deviated from the game plan AT ALL with Flynn. Even if he called it with AR, it would have been risky. All we needed was ONE YARD.

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is what MM said in the press conference yesterday:

"We had the chance for the big play on the fourth-and-two and I probably should not have put him in that position. It was the defense we thought we were going to get there and the match-up and we just didn’t execute it." (Was that your decision to throw it deep on that play, was that the call you sent in?)
Yes, absolutely.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Wrong call + wrong situation + wrong person under center to execute that play.

= wrong person calling plays.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many times have we (packer fans) heard McCarthy talk about TEAM IDENTITY? Quite a bit in my opinion...So what is the Packer's OFFENSIVE Identity? Here's what I think it is....YARDS AFTER CATCH! A few of you guys posting had pointed that out already by asking, why aren't we running slants? Where are the curl routes? those QUICK Screens???? WHERE ARE THEY? I think that's a fair question & I wish I had the opportunity to ask MM directly. If that's not our identity on OFFENSE & It has been for YEARS....then what is it??? Just look at last week what our receivers did!

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm okay with the call, I now this won't be popular, but it's the last thing the Lions were expecting. It's not a high percentage play but that should tell you that the coaches think highly of Matt Flynn.
He misjudged Greg Jennings speed, overthrew the guy. If they had completed that play everyone would be overjoyed. The truth is, they'll get better on their timing this week. I believe Flynn is a capable backup.
I dunno, I'm tired of listening to all the doom and gloom. You guys must not have followed the Packers through the 70's and 80's it was enough just to split with the Bears. That was our Super Bowl
Imagine you're a Viqueens, Bares or Lyons fan, just compare how our team has done, glad to be a Packer fan yet?

Members online

Latest posts