2nd round pick Nick Collins signed....

Reaction score
Glad to see him sign, sealed, and delivered. Only two more picks left. I think this kid can be a stud. Don't be surprised to see him starting this year. MAN I WISH THE SEASON STARTED TOMMOROW. With JWalk back (and hopefully commited to showing he deserves a new contract by putting up big numbers) and Farve being - for the lack of a better word - re-juvinated and Jim Bates coming on board, I'm as excited as ever! Here's the article:

"Meanwhile Wednesday, the Packers came to terms on a five-year deal with one of their two second-round picks, safety Nick Collins, according to his agent, Alan Herman. Their other two unsigned draft choices, first-round quarterback Aaron Rodgers and second-round receiver Terrence Murphy, were a long way from getting deals done"

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/jul05/344214.asp

But I don't like the part about the last 2 picks and the Pack being far apart. Hopefully it gets settled out before friday. We have Andrew Brandt, so I'm not too worried.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The MIlwaukee Sentinel Journel reports Rogers and Murphy have the same agent and their deals are not done yet.

His agent is Mike Sullivan. Brandt has claimed he could work with the guy if the "market" of other picks sigings weren't done.

For a guy we saw hanging around Rogers on draft day he seems to be letting other teams dictate what his client's will receive. He boxes himself into a negotiating position and it is very late for a deal that could have been done months ago.

Both sides know very well where the numbers are.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Rogers and Murphy have the same agent and their deals are not done yet.

His agent is Mike Sullivan. Brandt has claimed he could work with the guy if the "market" of other picks sigings weren't done.

For a guy we saw hanging around Rogers on draft day he seems to be letting other teams dictate what his client's will receive. He boxes himself into a negotiating position and it is very late for a deal that could have been done months ago.

Both sides know very well where the numbers are.

The problem for Rogers isn't about where the numbers are, it's about when Brett will retire and how to address it if Rogers becomes the starting QB. This is tricky because Brett could retire after this season, but Rogers might not get the starting role. Or Brett could retire 3 years down the road, while Rogers would have to sit and wait.

So it's going to be a complicated contract based on certain incentives such as playing time. The complication is how to direct those incentives. Usually incentives are written for reaching goals in a particular year. It's rather difficult to build that in when you don't know what year of the contract he'll get a chance to start.

Another tricky point will be the length of the contract. GB has been working to sign draftees to longer contracts. I'm sure the goal will be a 6 or 7 year deal. The longer the contract, the tricky it gets in the specifics for each year.

As for the situation with Murphy, I think he was waiting because of the Walker situation. His agent most likely saw an opportunity with a Walker holdout to get a little more for his client.

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand Rodgers being difficult. But in Murphy's case I would think getting into camp would be quite important, especially with Walker reporting now. You can't make an impression or learn plays and technique if you are not in camp.

Latest posts