2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t take this wrong but disagree, I LOVE Corum and would support him being a Packer but I don’t see a diverse running back naturally, BUT his heart is insane.

I like him and Bucky Irving about the same and gotta give Irving the edge given his massively diverse offering out of backfield, split out and such. FTR to me both are worthy of third round picks

Trey Benson is my #1 RB
What I like is that people are thinking about getting AHEAD of the roster instead of chasing it like we have been since about 2006

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I like is that people are thinking about getting AHEAD of the roster instead of chasing it like we have been since about 2006

Can you elaborate some on what you mean by this, not sure I want to assume what you mean and waste a response of disagreement if I actually agree.

Reaction score
I agree!
My only concern with Corrum is his size.
understandable. Although to put his size in perspective
~5’7.8 X 211lb (my estimate from varying articles)
Aaron Jones is 5’9.4 ” 208lb.

Would 1 1/2” (but more weight) off a high tier athlete like #33 affect his performance? Idk

We do know that it sometimes affects Jones in the passing game. Another 2-3” in reach could occasionally help on this high velocity throws to the flat. As far as Running? It sure didn’t hurt Barry Sanders. One could almost argue the low center of gravity on a thick RB is advantageous.

My guess is it’s more of an issue at Deuce Vaughn size. 5’5.0 X 179lb 4.32 RAS
Corum will likely Run in the 4.4’s and at 210lb+ he’s very thick. It will be interesting to see what his RAS score comes in at very soon.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you elaborate some on what you mean by this, not sure I want to assume what you mean and waste a response of disagreement if I actually agree.
Admittedly I jumped the tracks slightly and I can see where there would be confusion. On getting ahead of the roster...I meant us here in the Forum and the fanbase. On being behind it since '06 I was talking about the team's brain trust never quite except for 2010 putting together a WHOLE team.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
understandable. Although to put his size in perspective
~5’7.8 X 211lb (my estimate from varying articles)
Aaron Jones is 5’9.4 ” 208lb.

Would 1 1/2” (but more weight) off a high tier athlete like #33 affect his performance? Idk

We do know that it sometimes affects Jones in the passing game. Another 2-3” in reach could occasionally help on this high velocity throws to the flat. As far as Running? It sure didn’t hurt Barry Sanders. One could almost argue the low center of gravity on a thick RB is advantageous.

My guess is it’s more of an issue at Deuce Vaughn size. 5’5.0 X 179lb 4.32 RAS
Corum will likely Run in the 4.4’s and at 210lb+ he’s very thick. It will be interesting to see what his RAS score comes in at very soon.

We definitely should wait for combine numbers because they could be less than an inch difference in height after official measurements. It could go the other way too though, but he is a shifty little bowling ball. I'm not worried about a running backs height in the passing game when it comes to receiving. Most of the time you're using them in wheel routes and dump offs anyway.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don’t take this wrong but disagree, I LOVE Corum and would support him being a Packer but I don’t see a diverse running back naturally, BUT his heart is insane.

I like him and Bucky Irving about the same and gotta give Irving the edge given his massively diverse offering out of backfield, split out and such. FTR to me both are worthy of third round picks

Trey Benson is my #1 RB
I guess I don't know what you mean when you say you don't see a diverse running back. If we're talking about receiving, he has similar numbers to Jones(Jones 71 career college receptions vs Corrum 56 career college receptions). I also think his vision is spectacular and his nimbleness reminds me a lot of Jones.

Irving is quick no doubt, but they are very different runners. Corrum can lower the boom and has more mass than Irving, but is elusive in his own right. I like Irving, but right now I don't see him as a feature back like Corrum has the potential to be. Not that he should be, but he doesn't have the BMI for it.

Now that he officially declared, I really like Jonathon Brooks from Texas. The injury will drop him, but I think he'll be a steal.

Reaction score
Now that he officially declared, I really like Jonathon Brooks from Texas. The injury will drop him, but I think he'll be a steal.
My suggestion (and I believe @Dantés alluded to this) is to draft 2-3 RB’s like we did at WR this year. I’m no expert, but living in Texas I follow teams more here than the average guy. The Longhorns pump out RB’s like Ohio St pumps our WR’s. Now granted Texas has one the best run blocking OL in the country also. But J. Brooks is going to perform at a high level provided he comes back normal off injury. He’d be a feature back on Most NFL teams by 2025. His earlier season injury likely puts him coming back second half of next season. Certainly by this time of year (Dec-Jan) going full throttle.
In the meantime my idea would be to go after someone like Corum, who can provide a solid rotational value. Corum, like many college RB’s has 1 primary weakness, blocking. That’s something we take very seriously and might disqualify him.
In the meantime restructure #33 he’s good to go for at least 1-2 seasons and he’s a team friendly guy. I’d maybe offer Dillon a cheaper team friendly deal to stay 1 more season, but don’t over offer him as we can easily go RB this draft, ‘24.

Draft Brooks and be patient, he’s going to surprise some people. The pair of Brooks and Jones (with Dillon being our pseudo FB) would be amazing going into playoff ball. We’d be lethal at RB. Then invest in 2 upfrades such as Jordan Morgan and Sedrick Van Pran and we’d be stout.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess I don't know what you mean when you say you don't see a diverse running back. If we're talking about receiving, he has similar numbers to Jones(Jones 71 career college receptions vs Corrum 56 career college receptions). I also think his vision is spectacular and his nimbleness reminds me a lot of Jones.

Irving is quick no doubt, but they are very different runners. Corrum can lower the boom and has more mass than Irving, but is elusive in his own right. I like Irving, but right now I don't see him as a feature back like Corrum has the potential to be. Not that he should be, but he doesn't have the BMI for it.

Brooks is better than both of em for sure.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Even though UTEP didn't use him in it and they may have showcased similarly at the college level, there is nothing in Corum which to me illustrates a RB with the fluid route running, footwork in running routes and such as Jones has shown he has. There is a big difference between running routes and cutting/breaking without the ball than with...Jones has excelled. Corum is rarely used in space type situations. He was used in slot or wide 7 times this year vs 431 in the backfield. I LOVE CORUM, but merely don't see the diverse RB that Jones is for that comp to be used is all.

Even my boy Trey Benson from FSU who was my favorite prospect (till Brooks declared, but his ACL causes pause) wasn't split out a lot, however when watching his film I see some more, albeit slight IMO, footwork that might translate quicker in the route department.

The diversity is why I think Bucky Irving is one of the best comps to Jones in that his usage actually illustrates that the receiving side of things is a strength of his. This year alone he saw 44 slot snaps and 51 out wide snaps! Kicked in 493 in backfield of course but to have nearly 100 snaps as a WR is saying something. (had 2 at a TE alignment too). Folks underestimate Irvings' willingness to make impacts, I see him a lot like Jones despite their size they will cause impact with heart and quickness. Irving had 54 receptions on 60 targets this year receiving which is crazy high use for a RB, and despite that still had 187 rushing attempts producing 1196 yards - he truly is a dual threat. Size for him is a concern just as it is for Corum but he is slightly slighter...he is listed at 5'10' 195lbs but folks have said he is closer if not at 200 actually and most in his camp feels he is likely to get up near 205 or so without much if any drop in his abilities. Jones is 5'9' 207lbs.

Few other guys that I think Packer fans should be aware of:

Audric Estime from Notre Dame....to be 5'11' and 227lbs but move like he does I'm telling you it simply shouldn't be. He can be a touch slow to digest or read but when he is running with ears pinned back this dude is arguably one of the best in the game in college. Crazy thing is in space for a bigger back his wiggle and finesse is special. While I'm unsure if he is worth it I could see a team go for him Day2 (albeit in third round) and I would understand. I have a fourth round grade on him, but easily could sneak into Day2 IMO.

MarShawn Lloyd from USC....he is a running back that I think far too many is quiet on...having Caleb Williams as your QB kept the ball out of this VERY SKILLED back more than it would have with arguably anyone else as signal caller...but he still managed to be a 1,000 yard all purpose guy (816 rushing / 232 receiving) and averaged over 7 yards per carry. He is going to be at the Senior Bowl and I truly think and am projecting him to be one of the offensive guys there that will catch the attention he is deserving of. Built nearly identical to Jones, he might actually be the most comparable from a body type, play style and abilities it seems when watching him. Keep an eye and ear out for Lloyd talk, I hear the league loves him far more than a lot of "pundits" are saying and expect he will continue to climb up boards as this is confirmed more and more. I have him with a 4th but is like Estime a borderline 3rd for me.

Will Shipley from Clemson...quietly all Will has done is put up consistent and productive seasons for the Tigers since 2021 he's put up 740 yards, 1171 yards and 840 yards averaging over 5 yards per carry every year for them. Tossing in 116, 237, 231 yards receiving Will is a dual threat type back. At 5'11' 205 he is again kinda in that vein of a Jones sized back, Clemson has split him out frequently over the years so the diversity of what he offers is there already and it would only be the question of can he do it in the NFL, not if he can do it at all. I have him at a 4th round grade as well.....where I see a TON of guys truthfully.

Not to go into brief thoughts on everyone my running back buckets of guys I like enough to list: *they are not listed in order within the tiers

Tier 1 (only guys I have with a second round grade)
Jonathon Brooks
Trey Benson

Tier 2 (3rd-5th type guys)
Bucky Irving
MarShawn Lloyd
Blake Corum
Audric Estime
TreVeyon Henderson
Braelon Allen
Ray Davis

Tier 3 (Late rounders)
Dylan Laube
Isaiah Davis
Blake Watson
Carson Steele

May undecided guys that would be added if they declare and also a few left to review

Last edited:

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to detract from the RB conversation, but I've been digging into LB's a bit and have 3 guys that so far have stood out to me.

1. Cooper - not surprising here. I love his physicality and thing he'd bring something we've been missing from our LB group for a while. Maybe if get brings it early it could spark something from Quay too to be a bit more physical. He seems most effective as a downhill attacker - possibly similar to Quay. Not a ton of video I've found of him covering either man or zone. Seems to read the ball well and react quickly, even signs of great anticipation. Also a ST guys which I imagine MLF would like.

2. Payton Wilson - I like what I see on tape from this guy but I question the competition level. I don't see a ton of physicality nor quick twitch athleticism but he does seem to read and break quickly in both run support and pass. I saw one INT/PB he got where he was sitting in a zone and was watching both the WR's behind him and the QB's eyes and moved according to both...very impressive. This kind of play seems consistent throughout. I also worry a bit about his frame. I like his general size but he seems very thin in the legs and am unsure how that may (or may not) affect him with the jump to the NFL. I also saw him run down a WR so it'll be interesting to see his combine results. It appears he may be fast, but may not be twitchy.

3. Cedric Gray - This guy's stats are excellent, which attracted me to watch him. He's a tackling machine and used similarly to the other two above. I see more physicality from him than Wilson. Has some experience and shows ability for coverage.

I still want to look at Junior Colson and some others deep on the big board but curious what you all have on these 3 so far.
I'd love to be able to double dip on a new set of LB's in the 2-6 range.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though UTEP didn't use him in it and they may have showcased similarly at the college level, there is nothing in Corum which to me illustrates a RB with the fluid route running, footwork in running routes and such as Jones has shown he has. There is a big difference between running routes and cutting/breaking without the ball than with...Jones has excelled. Corum is rarely used in space type situations. He was used in slot or wide 7 times this year vs 431 in the backfield. I LOVE CORUM, but merely don't see the diverse RB that Jones is for that comp to be used is all.

Even my boy Trey Benson from FSU who was my favorite prospect (till Brooks declared, but his ACL causes pause) wasn't split out a lot, however when watching his film I see some more, albeit slight IMO, footwork that might translate quicker in the route department.

The diversity is why I think Bucky Irving is one of the best comps to Jones in that his usage actually illustrates that the receiving side of things is a strength of his. This year alone he saw 44 slot snaps and 51 out wide snaps! Kicked in 493 in backfield of course but to have nearly 100 snaps as a WR is saying something. (had 2 at a TE alignment too). Folks underestimate Irvings' willingness to make impacts, I see him a lot like Jones despite their size they will cause impact with heart and quickness. Irving had 54 receptions on 60 targets this year receiving which is crazy high use for a RB, and despite that still had 187 rushing attempts producing 1196 yards - he truly is a dual threat. Size for him is a concern just as it is for Corum but he is slightly slighter...he is listed at 5'10' 195lbs but folks have said he is closer if not at 200 actually and most in his camp feels he is likely to get up near 205 or so without much if any drop in his abilities. Jones is 5'9' 207lbs.

Few other guys that I think Packer fans should be aware of:

Audric Estime from Notre Dame....to be 5'11' and 227lbs but move like he does I'm telling you it simply shouldn't be. He can be a touch slow to digest or read but when he is running with ears pinned back this dude is arguably one of the best in the game in college. Crazy thing is in space for a bigger back his wiggle and finesse is special. While I'm unsure if he is worth it I could see a team go for him Day2 (albeit in third round) and I would understand. I have a fourth round grade on him, but easily could sneak into Day2 IMO.

MarShawn Lloyd from USC....he is a running back that I think far too many is quiet on...having Caleb Williams as your QB kept the ball out of this VERY SKILLED back more than it would have with arguably anyone else as signal caller...but he still managed to be a 1,000 yard all purpose guy (816 rushing / 232 receiving) and averaged over 7 yards per carry. He is going to be at the Senior Bowl and I truly think and am projecting him to be one of the offensive guys there that will catch the attention he is deserving of. Built nearly identical to Jones, he might actually be the most comparable from a body type, play style and abilities it seems when watching him. Keep an eye and ear out for Lloyd talk, I hear the league loves him far more than a lot of "pundits" are saying and expect he will continue to climb up boards as this is confirmed more and more. I have him with a 4th but is like Estime a borderline 3rd for me.

Will Shipley from Clemson...quietly all Will has done is put up consistent and productive seasons for the Tigers since 2021 he's put up 740 yards, 1171 yards and 840 yards averaging over 5 yards per carry every year for them. Tossing in 116, 237, 231 yards receiving Will is a dual threat type back. At 5'11' 205 he is again kinda in that vein of a Jones sized back, Clemson has split him out frequently over the years so the diversity of what he offers is there already and it would only be the question of can he do it in the NFL, not if he can do it at all. I have him at a 4th round grade as well.....where I see a TON of guys truthfully.

Not to go into brief thoughts on everyone my running back buckets of guys I like enough to list: *they are not listed in order within the tiers

Tier 1 (only guys I have with a second round grade)
Jonathon Brooks
Trey Benson

Tier 2 (3rd-5th type guys)
Bucky Irving
MarShawn Lloyd
Blake Corum
Audric Estime
TreVeyon Henderson
Braelon Allen
Ray Davis

Tier 3 (Late rounders)
Dylan Laube
Isaiah Davis
Blake Watson
Carson Steele

May undecided guys that would be added if they declare and also a few left to review
I agree he's more tightly wound than Aaron Jones. I actually was watching a couple games of his last night and couldn't help but notice he runs a lot more like MJD than Aaron. MJD was more tightly wound and a physical runner who didn't have a ton of receptions in college, but turned into a more than reliable receiver in the NFL. Not saying Corum is exactly MJD, but it's a better comparison than AJ.

I do like Bucky though and I think his running style is somewhat similar to Jahmyr Gibbs, but when I watch Gibbs play, he seems more compact, but neither are going to be work horses which is fine.

Someone to keep an eye on if you like Bucky's play style is Jawhar Jordan from Louisville. Although even slighter in frame, in the right system he would be a dangerous weapons in the backfield/all purpose weapon. He's just as elusive if not more than Bucky, but he's definitely slender.

I want to like Braelon Allen, but I just can't see anything other than a plodder with him. I watch him run and I just don't understand how he doesn't use his size to punish defenders. It aggravates me to no end. His combine is going to be very important, but I'm not expecting much. I'd rather have Estime or Steele if we want to replace Dillon for the short yardage back. Though Estime is more than that I think.

Reaction score
Not to detract from the RB conversation, but I've been digging into LB's a bit and have 3 guys that so far have stood out to me.

1. Cooper - not surprising here. I love his physicality and thing he'd bring something we've been missing from our LB group for a while. Maybe if get brings it early it could spark something from Quay too to be a bit more physical. He seems most effective as a downhill attacker - possibly similar to Quay. Not a ton of video I've found of him covering either man or zone. Seems to read the ball well and react quickly, even signs of great anticipation. Also a ST guys which I imagine MLF would like.

2. Payton Wilson - I like what I see on tape from this guy but I question the competition level. I don't see a ton of physicality nor quick twitch athleticism but he does seem to read and break quickly in both run support and pass. I saw one INT/PB he got where he was sitting in a zone and was watching both the WR's behind him and the QB's eyes and moved according to both...very impressive. This kind of play seems consistent throughout. I also worry a bit about his frame. I like his general size but he seems very thin in the legs and am unsure how that may (or may not) affect him with the jump to the NFL. I also saw him run down a WR so it'll be interesting to see his combine results. It appears he may be fast, but may not be twitchy.

3. Cedric Gray - This guy's stats are excellent, which attracted me to watch him. He's a tackling machine and used similarly to the other two above. I see more physicality from him than Wilson. Has some experience and shows ability for coverage.

I still want to look at Junior Colson and some others deep on the big board but curious what you all have on these 3 so far.
I'd love to be able to double dip on a new set of LB's in the 2-6 range.
I think Marist Luifau or Payton Wilson with our earlier selection RD4. We have good fortune there. I also wouldn’t be afraid to trade RD3 Bills into later RD3 to opening rd4 and get an additional later 4th/early 5th Rounder in exchange. Similar to last year. There’s still a good crop into that area before picked over

Then draft at LB
1-3rd Rounder;1-late 4th Rd acquired from trading back
Or
2-4th Rounders.

LB is very thin to open in this draft the first 2 will likely be reaches. Trotter etc
There’s a good clump of LBs that could compliment each other. (Marist and Payton etc). Marist is excellent in coverage and blitz, moderately good against Run. Payton is best in Run support, near opposite strengths would be a nice pair.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Marist Luafai or Payton Wilson with our earlier selection RD4. We have good fortune there. I also wouldn’t be afraid to trade RD3 Bills into early rd4 and get an earlier 5th Rounder in exchange. Similar to last year

Then get
1-4th Rounder
1-5th rounder.

LB is very thin this draft the first 2 will be reached. Trotter etc
There’s a good clump of LBs that could compliment each other. (Marist and Payton etc). Marist is excellent in coverage and bkitz. Payton is best in Run support, both would be ideal.
My top 5 at ILB are

Barrett
Cooper
Eichenberg
Trotter
Mondon

Trotter is gonna be snatched up well before he should be. They have him projected as a 2 think he's a 4. Barrett I can see being a 1st easily. I like Cooper for the Packers in round 2 or that first pick in round 3. Eichenberg is a 3 or 4. Mondon is a 4. And I'm just glad we're not talking about Stuttsman because to me he's a large safety more than an ILB.

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I wanted to look at a few options for trading back in the first. Tyni mentioned it in a post somewhere and I'm usually a fan of doing so as well, especially because I think this draft has a ton of talent in rounds 2-3. So WAS & NYG have 2x 2nd round picks that could make sense, and ARI has tons of draft capital and could do a combo of a 2nd and 2x 3rds. Although ARI also already has 2x 1sts so may not make sense.

I'm curious how you all would feel about picking up 2x 2nds and what your drafts would look like with 4x 2nd round picks or 3x 2nd and 4x 3rds with no firsts. FYR:
With WAS we'd have:

If we traded with ARI it'd be something like:

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trotter is gonna be snatched up well before he should be.
Why do you think this?

I like Cooper for the Packers in round 2 or that first pick in round 3.
Agreed. I really like Cooper. If we can get him in the 3rd after a S/OT and/or CB It'd be money.

Eichenberg is a 3 or 4. Mondon is a 4.
I'll need to watch these guys but I don't like lighter LB's like Mondon unless you're taking a flyer on a guy in day 3.

I did watch stutsman and wasn't terribly impressed either.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you think this?

Agreed. I really like Cooper. If we can get him in the 3rd after a S/OT and/or CB It'd be money.

I'll need to watch these guys but I don't like lighter LB's like Mondon unless you're taking a flyer on a guy in day 3.

I did watch stutsman and wasn't terribly impressed either.
Trotter to me is a Round 2 guy and he's getting mocked everywhere as mid-late 1st.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So I wanted to look at a few options for trading back in the first. Tyni mentioned it in a post somewhere and I'm usually a fan of doing so as well, especially because I think this draft has a ton of talent in rounds 2-3. So WAS & NYG have 2x 2nd round picks that could make sense, and ARI has tons of draft capital and could do a combo of a 2nd and 2x 3rds. Although ARI also already has 2x 1sts so may not make sense.

I'm curious how you all would feel about picking up 2x 2nds and what your drafts would look like with 4x 2nd round picks or 3x 2nd and 4x 3rds with no firsts. FYR:
With WAS we'd have:

I don't think we need the extra picks this year. Depending how their board falls, I think they actually could trade picks for picks next year. I think it's going to be tough for more than 8 to make next year's roster.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
RB, 3 DBs, LB, Edge, DL, 2OL, K, TE. Not hard for a few more than that; at least one at every level.
Well, we have 12 picks already. I don't see a need for more than that. You think this draft class is better than normal? You expecting a lot of guys to get cut?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, we have 12 picks already. I don't see a need for more than that. You think this draft class is better than normal? You expecting a lot of guys to get cut?
Bottom of roster churn. No RBs guaranteed to make roster. One signed safety for next season. A few cap casualties. There's spots available.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

With WAS we'd have:

Now that we won, drafting where we will be, having 7 picks in the top 88 does sound appealing. Generally speaking, there isn't much difference imo in quality of athletic ability from pick 15-50.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
SHORT of getting Mason Crosby back at the vet minimum they're not ditching Carlson after 1 year.
I look at rookie kickers the same as I view other rookies. I think they all need some time to get adjusted. The snapper, holder and kicker are all new. Cohesiveness doesn't occur overnight. I'm sure competition will be brought in just like always. That's a good thing for all players to have legitimate competition to drive them.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The final piece from the Rodgers trade is known, it will be the 41st pick of the draft. I would have preferred it being the 9th pick, but had Rodgers played, it might have been in the mid 20's anyway.

Members online

Latest posts