2024 Draft Prospect Discussions

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not a single safety on our roster is one which I'm grading out as a for sure starter in 2024. I'd argue the most consistent one for his role is actually Savage on this roster currently and dude straight played maybe his best game to date against KC after being out for awhile. That said his starting experience, and his age will likely get some team spending more on him than GB feels is worth it.

I envision we resign Ford or Owens to another one year (maybe two) cheap deal but for sure focus on the position in the FA or Draft or both.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll also say, that Savage I think some misremember. He did have a decent to good rookie year, but his sophomore year was the year he excelled more. He was in position more in the run game support, tackling got better and his coverage skills grew despite being very good his rookie year in that facet.

It was 2021 where Savage the roller coaster plummeted and really struggled across the board it seemed.

2022 he regained some of what he had regressed from.

This year, aside from injury, he is better than 2022, but slightly worse than his 2020 campaign. He is however as of now experiencing his lowest missed tackle rate of his career, and while he is not playing like a guy that is working towards a big payday in a contract year...he is playing himself for sure into a spot somewhere else or possibly back here too if price is right.

Reaction score
I'll also say, that Savage I think some misremember. He did have a decent to good rookie year, but his sophomore year was the year he excelled more. He was in position more in the run game support, tackling got better and his coverage skills grew despite being very good his rookie year in that facet.
Yes.
The problem with Savage isn’t that he’s necessarily a “bad” player, but he’s not a “great” player by any stretch either. He never lived up to his Day1 draft stock. His production to value is $3-4Mil

Watching Savage miss all this time and now sniffing a possible playoff birth. I would’ve also jumped at resigning Amos once cut by the Jets at that prorated Vet minimum + added an enticing +50K per game bonus (including playoffs) to steal him from the Texans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes.
The problem with Savage isn’t that he’s necessarily a “bad” player, but he’s not a “great” player by any stretch either. He never lived up to his Day1 draft stock.

I would’ve kept Amos for $4m over Savage for $8m. I would’ve also jumped at resigning Amos once cut by the Jets at that prorated Vet minimum +50K per game (including playoffs) played to steal him from the Texans.

It wasn't a keep Amos or Savage decision at the same time. They had to make a call on the 5th year pick up of Savage well before they had to decide if they could or if Amos wanted to be extended or signed back in FA.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a safety, yes, you need someone who can come up and make a hit. What I have been missing is the center fielder who can run from side to side and break up a long pass. Savage even with speed never seemed able to do that. He is looking better playing more inside.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a safety, yes, you need someone who can come up and make a hit. What I have been missing is the center fielder who can run from side to side and break up a long pass. Savage even with speed never seemed able to do that. He is looking better playing more inside.

He lines up most of the time deep, not inside box/slot.

Reaction score
It wasn't a keep Amos or Savage decision at the same time. They had to make a call on the 5th year pick up of Savage well before they had to decide if they could or if Amos wanted to be extended or signed back in FA.
That’s not what I said (same time)
While we hear of those decisions at different time intervals, those decisions are intricately intertwined when you are planning for the contract on 1 Safety you have to address and evaluate the other Safety at that time. That does not imply the final decision is simultaneous. But they 100% addressed our position on both Savage AND Amos and had a plan.
So I’d actually somewhat disagree. They (our FO) often have a plan at a position group long before they announced it to you or myself or the even the player. The announcement isn’t always like the Preston Smith extension where they cut ZaDarius simultaneous. However that Smith/Smith example alludes to what I’m about to say. Intra position group moves are intertwined and the staff takes all players into consideration, especially the ones directly impacted inside of that specific group. The bigger the $$ the more the focus

Does that imply teams can’t bend their plans? Of course not. I’m pretty sure that happens all the time also. But they have a plan and a short while later will execute that original plan more often than not.

Last edited:

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got through some of the DeJean tape (I need more game tape instead of straight highlights) and I keep seeing him mocked to us now at 20-ish. We of course have a strong history of grabbing Iowa players so I can see it making sense, but I want to confirm that people here are viewing him as a safety. He does seem to have the athleticism & physicality for a FS type but I would definitely see the case for his tackling allowing him more in the SS type since his tackling seems to be superior to the other two.

Also, I saw a 3 rock mock that had us grabbing Kinchens in the 2nd and Henderson in the 3rd with some OT/OG picks in the other area. If we got Henderson in the 3rd that would be insane but the more I watch of his tape the more i love this guy. He's definitely a 3 down back would be happy if we grabbed him in the 2nd because I think he'd be able to make enough of an impact to our running game to be worth it. He offers us something that our current roster doesn't. My only concern with this is if we went with DeJean in the 1st it would then end up pushing our OL picks down and miss out on some of the top tackle talent in this draft...that being said...we also have a strong history of finding great OL in the later rounds.

Lastly, I could see us doing something similar to what we've done in the past where we double dip in S. So we could pick up another safety in the 3rd-5th. Someone like Akeem Dent or Kendal Daniels catches my eye on physical traits/stats (haven't watched tape yet).

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A follow up to my last post:
I did some tape review of Dent and Daniels.
Daniels would be a no-go for me. I like his size but he seems very timid in his play and I also don't see any kind of coverage skills from him. More of a downhill in the box type safety if he can even cut it. I don't see enough speed from him to make me think he can make it at the NFL level. (i.e. looks very slow on tape).

Dent, however, I would definitely consider a later round possibility. He shows coverage ability, he was even used as a corner at times. I see some aggressiveness in his play style - even a few missed tackles that make me think he'd be a perfect fit for our defense. (jk...kinda). He also appears to be a solid gunner on special teams so I also like that value.

A good tape to watch is the FSU vs. Miami since you can see safety play on both sides: Dent, Kinchens, and Williams.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A couple of scenarios for 3 rounds (just for fun) - and I haven't watched much OL tape yet so I'm projecting based on some feedback on this forum and reading prospect reviews:
1. DeJean - S
2. Henderson - RB
2. Patrick Paul - OT
3. T'Vondre Sweat - DT
3. Luke Lachey - TE

1. Amarius Mims - OT
2. Kinchens/Nubin - S
2. Trey Benson - RB
3. Zach Zinter - OG
3. Cole Bishop - S (I honestly still like Luchey here but for the sake of mixing it up a bit...)

Do you have any thoughts on Sweat at DT? I seems the trend has been towards smaller more athletic pass rushers but I think that could be a reason for our **** poor run defense so adding some beef in the middle might act as a bolster to it.

Reaction score
A couple of scenarios for 3 rounds (just for fun) - and I haven't watched much OL tape yet so I'm projecting based on some feedback on this forum and reading prospect reviews:
1. DeJean - S
2. Henderson - RB
2. Patrick Paul - OT
3. T'Vondre Sweat - DT
3. Luke Lachey - TE

1. Amarius Mims - OT
2. Kinchens/Nubin - S
2. Trey Benson - RB
3. Zach Zinter - OG
3. Cole Bishop - S (I honestly still like Luchey here but for the sake of mixing it up a bit...)

Do you have any thoughts on Sweat at DT? I seems the trend has been towards smaller more athletic pass rushers but I think that could be a reason for our **** poor run defense so adding some beef in the middle might act as a bolster to it.
I haven't studied all the top CB’s but I happened to spend a little time reading up and watching DeJean. Partly because he’s now in that realm of possibilities for us. When we were selecting Top 10 several weeks ago he would’ve been a reach. Now in that top 20 ballpark he’s more in line with his stock. His makeup speed concerns me some as he’s been burned by a faster WR on occasion. However, in Just about every other aspect he’s strong. I have DeJean a little lesser than the consensus, but partly because I don’t see him as a top 1-2 need also. For our board he’s a value at a #20-25 area player and if we are picking 14-18 area? Im likely taking a different player such as a player who slips out of that top 12 etc.

Sir ZER’han DL may slip out of the Teens area on size. However he’s the prototypical iDL today. He can play across the interior and paired with Kenny with Brooks or Wooden or Wyatt filling in we’d be furious upfront. I think he could fall into our lap in that early 20’s.

Then going after an OT early Round 2 with our Jets pick, such as Patrick Paul or Suamataia and then a Safety like Calen Bullock. We’d fix a lot very fast.

We can add a CB and RB in Round 3 such as Jason Marshall Jr and Blake Corum/Jonathon Brooks. Either that or get a stellar Run stop iLB

Round 4-5 is also a great place to find a LB/WR/iOL/RB This draft is thick with WR like we only see every 5 years or so. That means a later Day 2 type will be there like Doubs was.

Georgia LB Dumas -Johnson reminds me of an iLB Version of Brenton Cox. He won’t impress you with speed testing, but he’s sure around the ball a lot. He’s got a good ball sniffer.

PS. My feelings wouldn’t be hurt if we went Patrick Paul and Van Pran in Day2

Last edited:

edensmage

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't studied all the top CB’s but I happened to spend a little time reading up and watching DeJean. Partly because he’s now in that realm of possibilities for us. When we were selecting Top 10 several weeks ago he would’ve been a reach. Now in that top 20 ballpark he’s more in line with his stock. His makeup speed concerns me some as he’s been burned by a faster WR on occasion. However, in Just about every other aspect he’s strong. I have DeJean a little lesser than the consensus, but partly because I don’t see him as a top 1-2 need also. For our board he’s a value at a #20-25 area player and if we are picking 14-18 area? Im likely taking a different player such as a player who slips out of that top 12 etc.

I'm confused...are you suggesting that Safety isn't a top need for us? You might be the only person that feels that way. Or is it that you are viewing DeJean as a corner instead of a safety conversion. The intent here is that DeJean is the second coming of Micah Hyde.

I think if you watch the tape on Bullock you'll change your mind. I did and was not impressed at all.
I'm not a fan of a 5-8 RB. Corum is a good runner but I would not be excited to see him pass protect a 6-5 LB.
The ILB class seems very weak this year. I've started looking at the "top rated" and I don't see much. I definitely would like to get more depth pieces there and Campbell's time is running out, but I don't see any options worthy of a day 1 or 2 pick.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bullocks pencil thin frame and his inability to tackle yet has him outside my top 80 prospect list and is likely to stay there. Now there are only three clear safety prospects IMO I have over him, but he has immense skills in coverage - and someone is going to risk the run/tackle liability for his field covering before the close of Day2 for sure. I’m no opposed to him in the third for sure, but wouldn’t be a massive fan of a selection before that for him.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I struggle to bring this prospect forward given my failed predictions of a certain center from Oregon being whom I believed to be a Day3 NFL starter of the future (Jake Hanson).....BUT

Jackson Powers-Johnson - Center/iOL Oregon 6'3' 320lbs is a guy ALL of Packer nation needs to familiarize yourself with. Was a Outland trophy nominee and one of the three finalists (Sedrick Van Pran and Drake Nugent) for the Rimington Trophy awarded to the best collegiate center. JPJ weekly was found on blocking highlight reels and even awarded pancake of the week awards by various folks that monitor and do such awards. While Myers is very very likely not going anywhere after this year, and will see his final year of his rookie contract in 2024, a draftee like JPJ would open up a potential red shirt year for the center of the future, or allow JPJ to compete for a starting guard spot in the meantime and be the team's primary center back up right out the gate. In this year, his first year being full time center starter, he allowed only 1 hurry - ONE! Not a sack, not a QB hit...just one hurry. In 400 snaps last season as a main RG when injury hit line he allowed ONE QB hit, nothing else. He's a big thick built blocker who absolutely embraces the concept of mauling opponents, however unlike many OL his power comes from his lower-half, which allows him if he gets position control and even move far "upper body strong" defensive lineman. While some would like to see more ferociousness in the phonebook, it's like he becomes a strategic working of body control and technique when stuck inside congestion happens...but give him a step or two or release him to attack the second level and that's when he loves to pancake folks - even as the whistle sounds. Look for JPJ especially in the late second round if he makes it there....a true center that may be gobbled up prior to that but if he is there, his starting RG experience and now center make him a VERY attractive piece potentially to add to our OL room.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. DeJean - S
2. Henderson - RB
2. Patrick Paul - OT
3. T'Vondre Sweat - DT
3. Luke Lachey - TE

1. Amarius Mims - OT
2. Kinchens/Nubin - S
2. Trey Benson - RB
3. Zach Zinter - OG

Sweat is not seeing the third round. I'd bet serious serious money on it.

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of a 5-8 RB. Corum is a good runner but I would not be excited to see him pass protect a 6-5 LB.
Oh yeah I mistakenly mixed up CB and Safety ratings. I’m just saying I don’t see DeJean as high as 1-16 overall. I see him as a top #20-25 area selection in that Kamren area.
I many Mocks he goes.
As far as wanting a Safety? I’ve selected one in 35 of the 100 Mocks I’ve done. I often do trade backs though, which don’t happen much in reality in Day 1 for us. I’ve been trading back into the 20’s and taking Kamren Kinchens in that 22-32 area.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask yourself this question, and answer it. If I decide that part of my upgrades for 2024 will come through free agency, which areas can I do with less cap space being eaten up? When you decide that, it makes it easier to decide which players in the draft would be the best options to choose. You need to fill those positions, with draft choices, that you don't feel comfortable having enough cap room to do through free agency.

That tells me that the #1 priority for the Packers this coming year is at left tackle. If there's a guy who can tagged as a starter, by the end of his first year in the league, grab him in the first round. Chances are, there will be at least three of them taken before the Packers even get a pick. That tells you how important they are to teams.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ask yourself this question, and answer it. If I decide that part of my upgrades for 2024 will come through free agency, which areas can I do with less cap space being eaten up? When you decide that, it makes it easier to decide which players in the draft would be the best options to choose. You need to fill those positions, with draft choices, that you don't feel comfortable having enough cap room to do through free agency.

That tells me that the #1 priority for the Packers this coming year is at left tackle. If there's a guy who can tagged as a starter, by the end of his first year in the league, grab him in the first round. Chances are, there will be at least three of them taken before the Packers even get a pick. That tells you how important they are to teams.

Which is why I kinda sense we could see us draft instead of LT one of the highest end iOL guys Day1 or early Day2 followed by a swing back at a Tackle prospect. Definitely OL is a MASSIVE piece of this teams needs for sure.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why I kinda sense we could see us draft instead of LT one of the highest end iOL guys Day1 or early Day2 followed by a swing back at a Tackle prospect. Definitely OL is a MASSIVE piece of this teams needs for sure.
How many guys do you see coming out in this draft, as being potentially being quality players?

Looking at the top LTs, I see Joe Alt, Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Taliese Fuaga, J.C. Latham, and Amarius Mims, all being picks strong enough to take in the first round. Any one of them should help the Packers. I'm not putting them in order, because I haven't seen what they can do at the Combine, but at this point, I'm going to say my favorites would be Alt and Mims, because of athleticism. Problem is, I doubt either will come close to falling low enough for the Packers to draft. But, If either one of those two is available, based on what I see now, not taking one of them would be a crime. Both, in my eyes, are career LT players who can give you a decade of solid play out there.

As a side note. I doubt very much any one of them would be left by the time we got to that first pick we have in round 2. Therein lies the problem. LTs will be at a premium.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many guys do you see coming out in this draft, as being potentially being quality players?

Looking at the top LTs, I see Joe Alt, Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Taliese Fuaga, J.C. Latham, and Amarius Mims, all being picks strong enough to take in the first round. Any one of them should help the Packers. I'm not putting them in order, because I haven't seen what they can do at the Combine, but at this point, I'm going to say my favorites would be Alt and Mims, because of athleticism. Problem is, I doubt either will come close to falling low enough for the Packers to draft. But, If either one of those two is available, based on what I see now, not taking one of them would be a crime. Both, in my eyes, are career LT players who can give you a decade of solid play out there.

As a side note. I doubt very much any one of them would be left by the time we got to that first pick we have in round 2. Therein lies the problem. LTs will be at a premium.

On the road but I’ve broken down some LTs I really like especially on each day - but Jordan Morgan and Patrick Paul are both guys I love. Morgan I even am fine Day1 on, Paul love Day2

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I struggle to bring this prospect forward given my failed predictions of a certain center from Oregon being whom I believed to be a Day3 NFL starter of the future (Jake Hanson).....BUT

Jackson Powers-Johnson - Center/iOL Oregon 6'3' 320lbs is a guy ALL of Packer nation needs to familiarize yourself with. Was a Outland trophy nominee and one of the three finalists (Sedrick Van Pran and Drake Nugent) for the Rimington Trophy awarded to the best collegiate center. JPJ weekly was found on blocking highlight reels and even awarded pancake of the week awards by various folks that monitor and do such awards. While Myers is very very likely not going anywhere after this year, and will see his final year of his rookie contract in 2024, a draftee like JPJ would open up a potential red shirt year for the center of the future, or allow JPJ to compete for a starting guard spot in the meantime and be the team's primary center back up right out the gate. In this year, his first year being full time center starter, he allowed only 1 hurry - ONE! Not a sack, not a QB hit...just one hurry. In 400 snaps last season as a main RG when injury hit line he allowed ONE QB hit, nothing else. He's a big thick built blocker who absolutely embraces the concept of mauling opponents, however unlike many OL his power comes from his lower-half, which allows him if he gets position control and even move far "upper body strong" defensive lineman. While some would like to see more ferociousness in the phonebook, it's like he becomes a strategic working of body control and technique when stuck inside congestion happens...but give him a step or two or release him to attack the second level and that's when he loves to pancake folks - even as the whistle sounds. Look for JPJ especially in the late second round if he makes it there....a true center that may be gobbled up prior to that but if he is there, his starting RG experience and now center make him a VERY attractive piece potentially to add to our OL room.
Don't struggle. Jake Hanson is the starting right guard for the New York Jets.

Reaction score
I’d agree. Obviously the way the board goes determines that also. On 2022 the WR board was top heavy. No one was worth a #22 etc once the first 6 went earlier. We can also double down with 1 top 60 selection, then an earlier mmm Day 3 etc.

Members online

No members online now.