2023 Tyni's Prospect Thread

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've dabbled sharing some thoughts elsewhere and I'll possibly bring them over to here...but I gotta start sharing thoughts of some favorite early prospects I think could be on Green Bay's radar due to their position and potential roster needs/wants for next year.

I will not do any mocks here, this will be solely for prospect profile discussions.

Tight End is a position I could see us facing some serious need at depending if Lewis decides to finally hang it up....Tonyan goes elsewhere...we could go very quickly to needing a guy that can come in and deliver.

I have TWO MASSIVE PROSPECTS I LOVE. LOVE. LOVE!!!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Michael Mayer is a BEAST among boys at 6'4' 260-ish pounds (swear that seems light at times)

In just two seasons he has amassed receiving numbers of a tight end that you'd typically hear is just a pass receiving threat incapable of blocking yet...with 113 catches, 1290 yards and 9 TDs this dude can find the open spot, exhibits soft hands when needed, his body control to high point is uncanny for a big guy and folks...his foot efficiency makes him seem faster and perhaps more agile than he really is.

As a pass blocker folks this cat in two seasons (freshman and sophomore years) has given up ZERO pressures and ZERO sacks. ZERO. While I'd say his pass blocking is as refined as one could expect a TE to be, his run blocking suffers only slightly due to his hand strength can be improved and his high cut frame limits him just a touch...but this body can and will impose himself in the run game.

Michael Mayer is the most exciting TE prospect in years for me because of him being the ENTIRE TE room rolled into one guy. He can block, catch, quick enough to bust the seam when needed and smart enough to read a defense.

I honest to God don't care where our first round pick washes out at, if we use it on Mayer I would not hesitate to claim that pick is an A grade without hesitation. I don't care if we would trade up to make it happen...I believe he is truly going to be that elite TE that the league usually only has one or two guys like at a time.

The second TE I am just gushing over and am just slightly less excited about is Josh Whyle of Cincinatti...and where he is slighly less of a blocker he is that much more of a burner and pass threat than Mayer (and Mayer is no slouch remember). This cat is 6'5' 245 (bet gets around 250 for this year) and has been a consistent above the rim and reliable target for Ridder the last two years. With Ridder gone and Alec Pierce as well I look for Whyle to put up at least 500 yards this year and possibly more as arguably one of the Bearcats' deadliest receiving threats for sure. This incredible TE is said to flirt with sub 4.6 speed, pairs that with a 35 1/2 inch vertical and nearly a ten and a half foot broad jump....just for reference those measurables have him building easily a 8.00+ RAS.

I know some will say I'm crazy, but I 100% say he is end of 1st round potential but I'll lock in a 2nd round grade on him right here today. I truly believe in him A TON! (Edit 1/17/2023 - Whyle was a guy I had pegged for a breakout year and IT NEVER HAPPENED. I truly still feel he has massive potential written all over him but he is a Day 3 type based on the performances and tape he put down this year.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EDGE and DB are two defensive positions I could easily see us go back to the well again on. Edge is going to be a need even if someone behind Smith/Gary step up and would be welcomed. With Amos up after this year and Savage possibly NOT being the guy worthy of that 5th year or into future and Rasul by 2024 taking $10M (but $9M savings with cut) a strong DB pick is likely too.

Let's look towards a higher end prospect on my lists presently that also might actually be there later than 20 (I assume we will be no higher than that).

EDGE -
Isaiah Foskey EDGE, Notre Dame 6'5' 260 (I think he will be closer to 270 this season). This cat is a guy that had this ND Irish fan worried he was going to declare, but coming back for the 2022 season is him believe he can and I believe as well cement himself as one of the best Edge guys in the draft...essentially a top 50 prospect for sure worst case. I have him presently graded with a low end 1st/high 2nd grade and I could easily see that swing to a straight 1st or 2nd depending. This dude is a beast...last year alone he put up 52 tackles, (38 solo), 9.5 for loss 11 sacks, 6 forced fumbles, 2 recovered...for record folks Aidan Hutchinson last season put up only 10 more tackles, 4 more sacks, 6.5 more sacks and 2 less solo tackles and only forced 2 fumbles. I'm an not saying he is going to have an Aidan Hutchinson type year, but folks this cat projects to do very well and better than he did prior. I look for him to have a SPECIAL 2022 season for the Irish and would love to see him in the room with Smith and Gary.

SAFETY
I want Jordan Battle from Alabama. This 6-1 210lb beast is simply special IMO and has been racking up game film which I fear may eliminate him from being available in the last 1/3 of the draft, but safeties typically get there even if special. The last two seasons this dude has amassed 91 solo tackles, 151 total, 4 sacks, 7 PDs, 4 INTs and 3 TDs. He has the hands and the knack he makes a turnover happen to make it the most costly kind you can (6 the other way). To me he is well ahead of being everything we wanted Savage to be, slightly less ball hawk skills but he could continue to showcase that as part of his game more in 2022.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Two out of four guys being Notre Dame guys? I'm raising the biased BS flag! :)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two out of four guys being Notre Dame guys? I'm raising the biased BS flag! :)

Only due to local guys are easier to be on your radar. However the TE is zero bias - the dude is just that freaking good.

I’ll start adding a lot of other guys soon

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's Profile another TE I love:

Tucker Kraft, TE South Dakota State 6'5' 255lbs

This dude is different, and is rounding out my favorite three tight end prospects with another bigger guy that can and will put his hands on people but is also a threat through the air without question. However, first some craziness of his background in football....grew up in a SMALL school that didn't even play 11 man football - they played 9. Had zero recruiting occurring until he finally did some workout camps where many of the Wyoming, Utah and so type schools started recruiting him - he actually at one point decommitted from SDSU for Wyoming but ultimately decided to stay close to home at SDSU. Even of late Kraft turned down some big NIL money from power five schools to stay at SDSU for the 2022 season...which is a small glimpse at the type of young man that he is. Listening to some of his interviews and reading about his story (father died in 2013, mother of three is his hero...community driven) the dude just fits Green Bay SO SO SO GOOOD.

Tucker is less a separation creator receiving threat than say Whyle is, yet at times I feel may have more there than a Mayer as well though. Putting up 773 yards on 65 receptions (6 TDs and 11.89 YPR) was impressive, and that was with a STRONG run game with Pierre Strong and others on the roster. This year I fully expect Kraft to flirt with being a 1,000 yard TE producer or at minimum put up similar numbers yet be more efficient and deadly in his route running (the one area he needs to work on).

Tucker however to me is a TE ready to step in on the field as an NFL's #1 or #2 out the gate due to his excellent blocking chops, dude loves to move grown *** men around as he said in a recent interview video I saw. It's rare to have a college TE not just willing but able technique wise to succeed at the next level....toss in the fact he is fast enough for defenses to have to honor him across the middle and seam. Like I said earlier while he may not be a Kelce type that an entire passing game will run through, this joker as your #2 or #3 option in an offense will do damage and do it consistently - finding soft spots and being a redzone threat are things he will excel at, however anytime you get the ball in his hands its like he takes his tenacity for blocking out in the form of each yard after the catch he tries to create.

Personally I have him pre-college season as a clear Top 50 prospect and very well may end up being my TE2 on the board.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll do one more quick one today for a guy I like

Xavier Hutchinson - WR Iowa State - 6'3' 210lbs

Hutch is a guy that was actually on my radar last year already after his sophomore season I had him red-circled for what IMO is a guy that is a surefire NFL draft pick before day 2 ends in 2023.

2020 Season he put up 771 yards on 64 receptions and finding pay dirt 4 times.
2021 Season saw him put up 987 yards on 83 receptions and finding pay dirt 5 times. (*had one passing play that went 49 yards for a TD)

Like many remember me loving Doubs for his nack of making space consistently in every game or practice setting he was part of...Xavier is similar. His vertical release package is solid, but I love his nuanced route running ability even more so. His ability to cut off top of routes is about as crisp and clean as one could hope resulting in a window of time for a QB to almost always have a clean look at him. You want a jump ball dude, this is your guy as he tracks the ball in the air excellently and seems to have a nack for body control preparation at the jump to win jump balls not solely with his hands but out positioning the defender.

He needs to clean up his blocking technique for sure if he's going to really make a name for himself in the NFL quickly...but his ball skills and route abilities mixed with his body size make him a VERY intriguing first round possible prospect IMO to keep an eye on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's chat about an intriguing WR prospect, albeit one I think I'll have a lower draft value on then some due to his age when he will come out, which he will be 23 in April of 2023...so while he isn't a Velus Jones type old guy, he doesn't fit the prototypical high draft use type guy GB does....that said he isn't a Day 1 level guy IMO so I think he will still be on our board.

Cedric Tillman - WR Tennessee - 6'3' 215lbs

Few quick pedigree things; father played WR at Alcorn State and in the NFL for four seasons. His brother played WR at Navy...and records wise holds Tennessee's record for most consecutive games with a TD (seven).

Aside from that obviously physical frame box is checked for what GB and Gute likes it seems. Production is quite the roller coaster....in his first three seasons in college he collected just 124 yards on just 8 catches but surprisingly 2 TDs. Then last year when QB changes happened his fourth year the dude exploded for 1,081 yards on 64 receptions posting an astounding 12 TDs and a 16.9 yards per catch. Deep threat box checked....kinda.

I say kinda because he has 2022 to confirm what and who he is as WR. Was 2021 a fluke and he isn't the possible Day 2 level WR many think he might be...or is he the Day 3 or UDFA many thought he would be had he come out last year. I want to see him moved around in 2022...he almost was exclusively lined up on the right side of formation and essentially was a stud because he was bigger and stronger than the DBs guarding him...if he can show signs of winning due to route techniques and such the ceiling for this kid will just explode up the charts. He plays fast but many don't consider him a burner...however you watch his strides when he lets loose and I think his long speed is definitely enough to explain his deep threat tendencies.

I think he will be a Day 2 candidate for many and if he produces another 1,000+ yard 10+ TD season look for some to argue he is a borderline Day 1 guy even...especially if he tests very well.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Ty where did the TEs you noted end up? Notre Dame is like a TE factory. They have a guy this year, forget the name, but he'll be a top 10 pick in 2023. Just reminds me of how long it's been since the Packers had a great TE.

That said, elite TEs are as hard to find as elite QBs, IMO. You can name on one hand the guys in the NFL you'd love to have - Kittle, Kielce to name two. There really are just not that many great TEs - and I'm talking mostly about receiving TEs, although the elite guys block well too.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Ty where did the TEs you noted end up? Notre Dame is like a TE factory. They have a guy this year, forget the name, but he'll be a top 10 pick in 2023. Just reminds me of how long it's been since the Packers had a great TE.

That said, elite TEs are as hard to find as elite QBs, IMO. You can name on one hand the guys in the NFL you'd love to have - Kittle, Kielce to name two. There really are just not that many great TEs - and I'm talking mostly about receiving TEs, although the elite guys block well too.

Your first question, you mean from this last draft or even past further?

Michael Mayer is the one from this year and he is easily in my preseason top 10 prospect like many - he is special. I discuss some on him in the first post of this thread, him and a second tier TE I love in Whyle at Cinci

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No Mayer is the guy I've
Your first question, you mean from this last draft or even past further?

Michael Mayer is the one from this year and he is easily in my preseason top 10 prospect like many - he is special. I discuss some on him in the first post of this thread, him and a second tier TE I love in Whyle at Cinci
Mayer is the guy I've heard about. Sorry I got my drafts mixed up......

Too bad he's out of the Packers' range. I'm tempted to suggest a trade up, but that would be against me religion. I love getting picks in a trade. I truly dislike giving away future draft capital to acquire someone or to move way up in the draft. And I'm assuming the Packers will pick somewhere between 28 and 32. It would just take way, way too much draft capital to get to the top 10.

Well that's the price to be paid for having good teams. I prefer that to the alternative.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have *As a Notre Dame fan* Mayer as my #2 TE in Round 1. The guy I like is Gilbert from Georgia...you can't pass on 6'7 260 with a pedigree of playing winning football in college.

Day 3 I like 4 guys

1.) Ricky Stromberg C Arkansas He's been a leader on a team on the upswing since Sam Pittman got there. I think right now if you move him to guard he's an upgrade over BOTH Hanson and Newman.

2.) DL Tyler Lacy Oklahoma State: State may low key have the best D-Line in the country and this dude is one of the top 2 guys on that unit.

3.) DE Mohamed Kamara Colorado State: 6'1 250 so he's probably an EDGE in the NFL. He's quick and violent, he's got that Lawrence Taylor gear coming off the edge. Gave Michigan FITS week 1.

4.) OLB/Edge Eku Leota Auburn: 6'4 257. Looks about 6'5 270. He looks like the NEXT Zadarius Smith.

Stromberg and Lacy are probably available with the 2 7th rounders at this point.

Leota I'd try to get round 4. Yes I like Enagbare but this dude looks better.

Kamara we might be able to steal under a UDFA deal.

Tyni a question if I may. IF he's there around round 4 or 5...do you bring in Stetson Bennett IV?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have *As a Notre Dame fan* Mayer as my #2 TE in Round 1. The guy I like is Gilbert from Georgia...you can't pass on 6'7 260 with a pedigree of playing winning football in college.

Day 3 I like 4 guys

1.) Ricky Stromberg C Arkansas He's been a leader on a team on the upswing since Sam Pittman got there. I think right now if you move him to guard he's an upgrade over BOTH Hanson and Newman.

2.) DL Tyler Lacy Oklahoma State: State may low key have the best D-Line in the country and this dude is one of the top 2 guys on that unit.

3.) DE Mohamed Kamara Colorado State: 6'1 250 so he's probably an EDGE in the NFL. He's quick and violent, he's got that Lawrence Taylor gear coming off the edge. Gave Michigan FITS week 1.

4.) OLB/Edge Eku Leota Auburn: 6'4 257. Looks about 6'5 270. He looks like the NEXT Zadarius Smith.

Stromberg and Lacy are probably available with the 2 7th rounders at this point.

Tyni a question if I may. IF he's there around round 4 or 5...do you bring in Stetson Bennett IV?
Wasn't the last Top 5 TE a guy from Georgia - Pitt was his last name I think? Damn, I wish the Packers could get a stud TE. Well, they need to find some receivers first I guess.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't the last Top 5 TE a guy from Georgia - Pitt was his last name I think? Damn, I wish the Packers could get a stud TE. Well, they need to find some receivers first I guess.

Pitts was from Florida.

Fitzpatrick was the Georgia TE drafted this past year in the 6th and Tre Mckitty was drafted year prior in third.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Close...Pitts was from Florida and I would've LOVED to have that guy

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't take credit for that as it was tyni pointing it out.

Yeah, Pitts is playing for the Falcons. He had 68 receptions for 1,026 yards as a rookie.
Wow, impressive numbers for Pitts. And credit to tyni, thanks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've dabbled sharing some thoughts elsewhere and I'll possibly bring them over to here...but I gotta start sharing thoughts of some favorite early prospects I think could be on Green Bay's radar due to their position and potential roster needs/wants for next year.

I will not do any mocks here, this will be solely for prospect profile discussions.

Tight End is a position I could see us facing some serious need at depending if Lewis decides to finally hang it up....Tonyan goes elsewhere...we could go very quickly to needing a guy that can come in and deliver.

I have TWO MASSIVE PROSPECTS I LOVE. LOVE. LOVE!!!

Michael Mayer is a BEAST among boys at 6'4' 260-ish pounds (swear that seems light at times)

In just two seasons he has amassed receiving numbers of a tight end that you'd typically hear is just a pass receiving threat incapable of blocking yet...with 113 catches, 1290 yards and 9 TDs this dude can find the open spot, exhibits soft hands when needed, his body control to high point is uncanny for a big guy and folks...his foot efficiency makes him seem faster and perhaps more agile than he really is.

As a pass blocker folks this cat in two seasons (freshman and sophomore years) has given up ZERO pressures and ZERO sacks. ZERO. While I'd say his pass blocking is as refined as one could expect a TE to be, his run blocking suffers only slightly due to his hand strength can be improved and his high cut frame limits him just a touch...but this body can and will impose himself in the run game.

Michael Mayer is the most exciting TE prospect in years for me because of him being the ENTIRE TE room rolled into one guy. He can block, catch, quick enough to bust the seam when needed and smart enough to read a defense.

I honest to God don't care where our first round pick washes out at, if we use it on Mayer I would not hesitate to claim that pick is an A grade without hesitation. I don't care if we would trade up to make it happen...I believe he is truly going to be that elite TE that the league usually only has one or two guys like at a time.

The second TE I am just gushing over and am just slightly less excited about is Josh Whyle of Cincinatti...and where he is slighly less of a blocker he is that much more of a burner and pass threat than Mayer (and Mayer is no slouch remember). This cat is 6'5' 245 (bet gets around 250 for this year) and has been a consistent above the rim and reliable target for Ridder the last two years. With Ridder gone and Alec Pierce as well I look for Whyle to put up at least 500 yards this year and possibly more as arguably one of the Bearcats' deadliest receiving threats for sure. This incredible TE is said to flirt with sub 4.6 speed, pairs that with a 35 1/2 inch vertical and nearly a ten and a half foot broad jump....just for reference those measurables have him building easily a 8.00+ RAS.

I know some will say I'm crazy, but I 100% say he is end of 1st round potential but I'll lock in a 2nd round grade on him right here today. I truly believe in him A TON!
Where would you project he gets drafted? I mean I love Myers too but he's a top 10, maybe top 5 guy.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where would you project he gets drafted? I mean I love Myers too but he's a top 10, maybe top 5 guy.

Mayer is clear top 15 pick IMO and has the potential to wash out top 10. He may be however like a top 5 prospect but only cuz he is a TE will he not be picked that high.

Whyle I think could be there late Day 2 or early Day 3 potentially depending how everything washes out and rest of season goes.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mayer is clear top 15 pick IMO and has the potential to wash out top 10. He may be however like a top 5 prospect but only cuz he is a TE will he not be picked that high.

Whyle I think could be there late Day 2 or early Day 3 potentially depending how everything washes out and rest of season goes.
Thanks Ty and thanks for the name correction. Well Top 15 puts him out of the Packers reach unless they trade up. A lot depends on how Tongan and the rookie receivers do this year. It's been too long since the Packers have had a kickass TE.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Day 3 I like 4 guys

As a Georgia fan, I think you're talking about Darnell Washington, not Gilbert. Washington doesn't get enough love because we have a stud in Bowers. I think we also don't want to see the big man hurt himself. He's the definition of a college player who will have a better pro career as long as he stays healthy.

That being said, I think Mayer is the new Kelce and will be drafted high. He's definitely a draft crush of mine.

There's some other tight ends that are very intriguing, but might be a little smaller move tight ends. Both Utah tight ends stand out, I know Dalton Kincaid is the higher ranked guy, but I believe he got hurt and is eligible to come back. I really like Kuithe as a prospect, I liked him 2 years ago before Kincaid was even getting buzz. Thought he might come out last year, but is increasing his stock right now.

Jaheim Bell is very interesting. He doesn't seem to be used as much this year for some reason, but he has Delaine Walker written all over him. He can do it all and is a true TE/WR hybrid.

Edit: Trying to take my mind off the game by done some draft research. Went to Walters site and saw Erik All is his top TE. This seems to have come out of nowhere and now I'm gonna have to watch some Michigan games.

Edit 2: I was completely wrong about who got hurt at Utah, it was in fact Kuithe which really sucks for him, but I think someone gets a steal.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I watched the ND/BYU game last night. Mayer is unreal.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The knock I see on him is he's tall not big. I think he can fill out another 20 pounds and maybe be a Jermichael Finley upgrade. He's like what 6'7 240?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as receivers, this is definitely a top heavy, weaker class, but give me Quentin Johnston right now! He didn't do much to begin the season, but he is a man amongst boys and broke out this week. He has it all and could be an absolute stud. I'm interested to see what he'll run, but I like him far more than I liked London last year by a lot.

Members online

Latest posts