2023 Free Agents around the league, news and signings.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So that we keep it out of the Packer roster and other Packer player threads, I figured I would start a discussion of FA's around the NFL and ones that become FA's due to their team releasing them.

The Vikings released long time Viking LB Eric Kendricks today.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Always wished he was a Packer, but with the investment in Quay and Campbell, not really room at the position, let alone our cap situation.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would have loved the Packers to draft Kendricks back in 2015 but I agree with @Mondio that with Campbell and Walker currently on the roster there's no need to think about bringing him in this time. Especially as it seems his performance regressed over the past two seasons.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Today is the deadline for Franchise Tags. I doubt the Packers tag anyone.

Around the league, so far these are the tags.

- Commanders franchise tagged DT Daron Payne
- Cowboys franchise tagged RB Tony Pollard
- Raiders franchise tagged RB Josh Jacobs
- Jaguars franchise tagged TE Evan Engram

Will the Ravens tag Lamar Jackson and then let another team set the salary that the Ravens would have to meet?

D

Deleted member 6794

The Ravens put the non-exclusive franchise tag on Lamar Jackson. In addition the Giants did the same with Saquan Barkley after agreeing on a deal with Daniel Jones.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Today is the deadline for Franchise Tags. I doubt the Packers tag anyone.

Around the league, so far these are the tags.

- Commanders franchise tagged DT Daron Payne
- Cowboys franchise tagged RB Tony Pollard
- Raiders franchise tagged RB Josh Jacobs
- Jaguars franchise tagged TE Evan Engram

Will the Ravens tag Lamar Jackson and then let another team set the salary that the Ravens would have to meet?
Yes, yesterday

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yes, yesterday
Non-Exclusive tag

It sounds like there are feelings of collusion among the owners, concerning players threatening not to play under a tag. With quote a few teams jumping right out and saying that they won't pursue Jackson. This could get messy.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like there are feelings of collusion among the owners, concerning players threatening not to play under a tag.

I'm not sure if anything can be proven. It is quite possible that the rest of the league looks at the Browns and is declaring them idiots for the contract Watson got. It is also possible that the other owners have indeed had off the books, face to face conversations and agreed "never again." IE, actual collusion.

I trust the owners to be at least a little sneaky and would not be at all surprised if they did collude--you don't become a billionaire by being nice. How to prove that, even if it did happen, I have no idea. Presumably they wouldn't be dumb enough to write it down, but know knows?

I do like the crazy conjecture that Snyder, purportedly trying to sell the Commanders for ~6 billion, could trade for Jackson, offer him the guaranteed contract, set the precedent for real by giving a second quarterback a fully guaranteed contract, sell the team, and walk away with both middle fingers raised at the NFL.

The only hiccup would be putting the contract money in escrow, but I'd guess that the Commander's new owner would have to square up in some fashion.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anything can be proven. It is quite possible that the rest of the league looks at the Browns and is declaring them idiots for the contract Watson got. It is also possible that the other owners have indeed had off the books, face to face conversations and agreed "never again." IE, actual collusion.
Very true, but I think it is going to really start snowballing quick and become a major topic. Hard to explain how teams that were willing to trade for Deshaun Watson are suddenly not willing to give up 2 first rounds for Lemar Jackson. Either Jackson is injured and teams are worried about that or there was some kind of talk between owners of "enough is enough, lets stop letting players dictate money and trades."

One other explanation would be the Ravens just made no progress in contract talks with Jackson, so they are willing to let other teams negotiate with him and if they can live with the contract, they won't let that team take him and they will meet the offer. What that does that do to Jackson and the Ravens relationship?

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true, but I think it is going to really start snowballing quick and become a major topic. Hard to explain how teams that were willing to trade for Deshaun Watson are suddenly not willing to give up 2 first rounds for Lemar Jackson.
Just my opinion but you always have to worry he will get hurt. And though he makes very good throws at times; he isn't a pure passer. That said, the non-exclusive tag does not do a lot for the Ravens. But obviously they did not want to pay him so much money. Not saying Watson was worth it. Only time will tell on that.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just my opinion but you always have to worry he will get hurt. And though he makes very good throws at times; he isn't a pure passer. That said, the non-exclusive tag does not do a lot for the Ravens. But obviously they did not want to pay him so much money. Not saying Watson was worth it. Only time will tell on that.
I would disagree that the tag doesn't do anything for the Ravens. If no teams offer him a contract, he plays 1 year for $32M. Which is substantially lower than the money he was looking for. It also buys the Ravens a lot more time to negotiate or trade him. Letting him get to free agency, now that would have been pretty silly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with your first 2 points. I think the Ravens are being smart about this because he isn't a great QB in my eyes. He can make highlights, and in the right offense with a good oline and strong running game he'll have some explosive plays. But so would a lot of other guys. Once those other parts start to fail or he's injured that negates the best part of his game and he becomes just another QB.

YOu can pay good money and take your chances, I don't think you can pay elite money for someone who isn't.

I disagree though and think the Ravens are doing this right. If they're wrong, someone will pay him elite money. If they're right, which I think they are, he'll find out nobody wants to pay him guaranteed what he's looking for. and Watson is a much better QB in my eyes if I'm running a team. I just wouldn't want him on my team because of who he is.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would disagree that the tag doesn't do anything for the Ravens. If no teams offer him a contract, he plays 1 year for $32M. Which is substantially lower than the money he was looking for. It also buys the Ravens a lot more time to negotiate or trade him. Letting him get to free agency, now that would have been pretty silly.
My understanding of that tag is that he can now negotiate with anyone. Realistically, someone will offer him more money.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My understanding of that tag is that he can now negotiate with anyone. Realistically, someone will offer him more money.
then if they accept the market set value for him, they can match it, or if they don't agree with the market set value, they can accept the 2 first round draft picks and move on.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That is correct, on teams being able to offer him a contract. That is, if any teams do. If that happens, the Ravens can match the offer and keep him or take 2 first round draft picks from that team and they get Lamar. Basically, they are letting other teams do their negotiating.

Now one would hope that the owners aren't colluding, but if you do a simple Google search on the topic, you will read some interesting conversation pertaining to the matter.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that was the other tag. So it is the best way for the Ravens to go

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
then if they accept the market set value for him, they can match it, or if they don't agree with the market set value, they can accept the 2 first round draft picks and move on.

I think the Ravens are willing to let someone else negotiate Lamar's contract at this point and it's a smart move. Lamar Jackson is dynamic player but his passing stats are mediocre. He's only thrown more the 3000 yards in one season (2019) and that was the 22nd best in that year.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is correct, on teams being able to offer him a contract. That is, if any teams do. If that happens, the Ravens can match the offer and keep him or take 2 first round draft picks from that team and they get Lamar. Basically, they are letting other teams do their negotiating.

Now one would hope that the owners aren't colluding, but if you do a simple Google search on the topic, you will read some interesting conversation pertaining to the matter.
Or see the rule about escrow accounts and guaranteed money.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Or see the rule about escrow accounts and guaranteed money.
When a NFL team signs a player and it has guaranteed money in the contract, they are required by the NFL to put that money in an escrow account for future use.

Curious as to what you are getting at in regards to Lemar.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some QB needy teams are out on Lamaar. You jump to collusion because you read it somewhere. On the other hand I point to an actual rule that could be the reason since contrary to popular belief not all of these owners have 200 mil give or take in cash to put in an escrow account.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some QB needy teams are out on Lamaar. You jump to collusion because you read it somewhere. On the other hand I point to an actual rule that could be the reason since contrary to popular belief not all of these owners have 200 mil give or take in cash to put in an escrow account.

Not everyone understands that part of the process honestly.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it a shock teams aren't beating down the door to an average passing QB that can run off the strength of a strong running game but has been IR'd in each of the past 2 seasons who wants an elite level contract and fully guaranteed? I'd want nothing to do with that either.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Bisciotti's net worth is estimated to be $6.4 billion. You think he can't put $200M into escrow? That's less than a teams payroll.

As far as me jumping to collusion because I read it? Acutally, collusion was the first thing that popped into my head when I read about the tag and the now apparent lack of interest in him from some teams. Is that theory possibly incorrect because people either came up with it on their own or read it? Or is it incorrect because teams worth billions can't put $200M into escrow? I guess we will see.

Last edited:

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do you people think teams are being honest when they say they have no interest in Lamar? It's the lying season.

Actions speak louder than words. Because words mean absolutely nothing at this time of year.

But Mike Florio and other hack morons need to troll for clicks.

Members online

Latest posts