2023 Draft Talk

Reaction score
The more I consider things. If Brian can pull off TWO additional 2nds in 2023, that would be huge. Even if we sent a 4th or 5th Rounder back I think it’s a Win there.

Having multiple selections in that
41-45 overall area is huge because it allows us to get a remaining draft player(s), that we’ve pondered on all night, without severely reaching. Using a 4th Rounder would allow us to get a top 5 pick in Day 2 and still have 2 More nearly back to back selections immediately after that.

That 30’s to 40’s overall area is also an area where our need meets talent level. We should see several of these: J. Hyatt, D. Washington,A. Adebawore, Anudike-Uzomah, L. Musgrave, M. Smith, D. Wright, take your pick of several of these type players.

Personally, I’d use up to a 4th Rounder to package to get our highest graded player that is falling past the #35 overall area and lock him down. My Personal favorite is Darnell, that guy is exactly what we need. He can Block, He can catch, he’s YAC, he’s intimidating (similar to Lewis ) and he’s done it all against top level D1 talent If he cost #42+ 4th Rounder I’d grab him yesterday.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

David Bakhtiari
Elgton Jenkins
Aaron Jones
Christian Watson
Kenny Clark
Rashan Gary
Preston Smith
De'Vondre Campbell
Jaire Alexander

There are several other names who are either just average NFL starters or younger players with up/downside yet TBD. But the names above are all plus talents still on the roster. There is a lot of talent left on this team.

I agree all of them are very good players. But I still believe that overall the Packers lack talent compared to many other teams in the league.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I agree all of them are very good players. But I still believe that overall the Packers lack talent compared to many other teams in the league.

Ok well compare it to similar lists within the division:

Justin Jefferson
Christian Darrisaw
Ezra Cleveland
Brian O’Neill
T.J. Hockenson
Dalvin Cook
Danielle Hunter
Harrison Smith
Byron Murphy

Amon-Ra St. Brown
Taylor Decker
Frank Ragnow
Penei Sewell
DeAndre Swift
Aidan Hutchinson
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
Cam Sutton

The Packers have the talent to compete for the division and playoffs if Love has the goods. It’s not a depleted roster.

It may become that when the cap implications really come due, but it isn’t now.

D

Deleted member 6794

Justin Jefferson
Christian Darrisaw
Ezra Cleveland
Brian O’Neill
T.J. Hockenson
Dalvin Cook
Danielle Hunter
Harrison Smith
Byron Murphy

Amon-Ra St. Brown
Taylor Decker
Frank Ragnow
Penei Sewell
DeAndre Swift
Aidan Hutchinson
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
Cam Sutton

The Packers have the talent to compete for the division and playoffs if Love has the goods. It’s not a depleted roster.

The Packers completely lack talent at tight end and safety while wide receiver is still a question mark in my opinion. As long as those positions don't get adequately addressed I don't see them contending for a playoff spot even if Love performs up to the team's expectations. If he doesn't they're in the running for the #1 pick.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers completely lack talent at tight end and safety while wide receiver is still a question mark in my opinion. As long as those positions don't get adequately addressed I don't see them contending for a playoff spot even if Love performs up to the team's expectations. If he doesn't they're in the running for the #1 pick.

Yes, if Love is bad they will be bad.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, if Love is bad they will be bad.
The Packers are paying a lot of money to a few players. If Love can play in the top third of NFL QBs, the Packers should be able to compete in the North and make the playoffs. If Love doesn't play well...... not pretty.

The Packers certainly aren't in rebuild mode. But if Love fails, then maybe it is time to trade away the expensive/talented guys and build some draft capital. That would be a rebuild. Won't know until we see Love play for a season.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Packers are paying a lot of money to a few players. If Love can play in the top third of NFL QBs, the Packers should be able to compete in the North and make the playoffs. If Love doesn't play well...... not pretty.

The Packers certainly aren't in rebuild mode. But if Love fails, then maybe it is time to trade away the expensive/talented guys and build some draft capital. That would be a rebuild. Won't know until we see Love play for a season.
The Packers just completed an 8-9 season, with Rodgers. In 2023 they will most likely be without Rodgers, as well as many starters that left via Free Agency. The NFC North wasn't even a good division last year. Now in 2023 you are starting a QB that has very little experience and expecting the team to complete for the playoffs? I think that is expecting too much too soon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The Packers just completed an 8-9 season, with Rodgers. In 2023 they will most likely be without Rodgers, as well as many starters that left via Free Agency. The NFS North wasn't even a good division last year. Now in 2023 you are starting a QB that has very little experience and expecting the team to complete for the playoffs? I think that is expecting too much too soon.
Yeah. There would have to be a relative alignment of Stars.

THAT is where it circles back to. The next 2 DRAFTS are a critical component of rebounding. Which is why we can’t just kiss Rodgers away without a fight for capital. Our FO will have to eat an enormous amount of $$ no matter the angle. It’s imperative we maximize this Rodgers trade for solid Draft capital.

If we don’t get a Day 1 or equivalent this year for us, while doing all these favors of helping other teams build THEIR rosters? I think it’s fully warranted to expect a decent 41st pick now and a later Day 1 next season without the Shell Game and having to walk the tight rope and jump the Grand Canyon to get there. What’s to lose, we’ll go backwards 2 seasons either way, might as well go down fighting like heck for as much as we can get.

If we get proper Draft capital 2023-2024, I think our best case is we can possibly be competitive as soon as next season, depending on Jordan and the drafts. Especially if we’re picking top 10 in each round and get some comp picks and another top 32 draft pick next season.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers just completed an 8-9 season, with Rodgers. In 2023 they will most likely be without Rodgers, as well as many starters that left via Free Agency. The NFS North wasn't even a good division last year. Now in 2023 you are starting a QB that has very little experience and expecting the team to complete for the playoffs? I think that is expecting too much too soon.
I didn't mean to overstate my expectations for a team led by Jordan Love. He might play well and make GB competitive, but that would mean he has more than he's shown so far, IMO. And the Lions are on the move and should be the fave in the North.

And that's why I hope Gluten can get a good deal for Rodgers. Gotta be realistic there as well. Gluten negotiated the $59 mil Rodgers is due this year. Somebody has to pay for that. I honestly don't know how that will shake out.

Reaction score
The only way I see us making the playoffs next season is if these 4 things happen:

1. Jordan Love has a good rookie season and/or is NFL ready (doesn't have to be great, just can't make too many of the typical rookie mistakes new QBs make while also making good decisions with the football).
2. The defense plays up to its potential, (and we are able to move Rasul Douglass to safety without any issues) which would hopefully make us a top 10 defense.
3. We lean heavily on the running game and have a top 5-10 rushing offense, which would complement our defense and give time for Love and the new WR's TE's to develop.
4. The NFC north is very bad, where 8-10 wins would be enough to win the division.

This would also be dependent on drafting a couple of good WR's and a TE or two in the upcoming draft that can make an immediate impact. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that these things could happen, but I don't think it should be expected.

Regardless, we do need to see improvement as the season goes along with flashes of potential of what this team could be, with the team playing great at those times.

Reaction score
The more I consider things. If Brian can pull off TWO additional 2nds in 2023, that would be huge. Even if we sent a 4th or 5th Rounder back I think it’s a Win there.

Having multiple selections in that
41-45 overall area is huge because it allows us to get a remaining draft player(s), that we’ve pondered on all night, without severely reaching. Using a 4th Rounder would allow us to get a top 5 pick in Day 2 and still have 2 More nearly back to back selections immediately after that.

That 30’s to 40’s overall area is also an area where our need meets talent level. We should see several of these: J. Hyatt, D. Washington,A. Adebawore, Anudike-Uzomah, L. Musgrave, M. Smith, D. Wright, take your pick of several of these type players.

Personally, I’d use up to a 4th Rounder to package to get our highest graded player that is falling past the #35 overall area and lock him down. My Personal favorite is Darnell, that guy is exactly what we need. He can Block, He can catch, he’s YAC, he’s intimidating (similar to Lewis ) and he’s done it all against top level D1 talent If he cost #42+ 4th Rounder I’d grab him yesterday.
I agree with you. In fact, I think I would rather have the Jets two 2nds instead of the 13th pick. I would also consider trading down to get an additional 2nd round pick, especially if I couldn't get Jaxon Smith-Njigba, one of the top OT's, and/or it is looking like the top 5 TE prospects are going to fall in the draft.

Regardless, I would love it if we could get Darnell Washington and one of Dalton Kincaid or Michael Mayer (although Musgrave and La Porta wouldn't be bad either), as well as both or one of either JSN or J. Hyatt.

I think we should consider drafting 3 pass catchers, either two WR's and a TE or two TE's and a WR, although I wouldn't be opposed to getting Skoronski or Paris Johnson if they are available with the 1st round pick.

If we are going to use one of our top picks on defense, personally I think I would actually rather spend that pick on a defensive lineman than on safety or edge. While we could use depth at those two positions, we really need to get better at stopping the run if we want to get better on defense.

This draft is also not that great for safeties anyway, and we could convert Rasul Douglas to safety.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only way I see us making the playoffs next season is if these 4 things happen:

1. Jordan Love has a good rookie season and/or is NFL ready (doesn't have to be great, just can't make too many of the typical rookie mistakes new QBs make while also making good decisions with the football).
2. The defense plays up to its potential, (and we are able to move Rasul Douglass to safety without any issues) which would hopefully make us a top 10 defense.
3. We lean heavily on the running game and have a top 5-10 rushing offense, which would complement our defense and give time for Love and the new WR's TE's to develop.
4. The NFC north is very bad, where 8-10 wins would be enough to win the division.

This would also be dependent on drafting a couple of good WR's and a TE or two in the upcoming draft that can make an immediate impact. I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that these things could happen, but I don't think it should be expected.

Regardless, we do need to see improvement as the season goes along with flashes of potential of what this team could be, with the team playing great at those times.
Out of the four things you list - 2 and 3 are likely, 1 is up in the air, and 4 is unlikely. The NFC North is finally getting competitive. That's not necessarily a bad thing. I expect the Lions will win the North this year. Would love a surprise out of GB (pun unintended), but seems unlikely. But ya never know. The Lions started out 1-6 last season. We all know how it ended.....

Reaction score
I agree with you. In fact, I think I would rather have the Jets two 2nds instead of the 13th pick. I would also consider trading down to get an additional 2nd round pick, especially if I couldn't get Jaxon Smith-Njigba, one of the top OT's, and/or it is looking like the top 5 TE prospects are going to fall in the draft.

Regardless, I would love it if we could get Darnell Washington and one of Dalton Kincaid or Michael Mayer (although Musgrave and La Porta wouldn't be bad either), as well as both or one of either JSN or J. Hyatt.

I think we should consider drafting 3 pass catchers, either two WR's and a TE or two TE's and a WR, although I wouldn't be opposed to getting Skoronski or Paris Johnson if they are available with the 1st round pick.

If we are going to use one of our top picks on defense, personally I think I would actually rather spend that pick on a defensive lineman than on safety or edge. While we could use depth at those two positions, we really need to get better at stopping the run if we want to get better on defense.

This draft is also not that great for safeties anyway, and we could convert Rasul Douglas to safety.
Really Well said. If our primary target isn’t there. A trade back #15/146 for Baltimore’s 24/56. We’ll need as many stabs as possible inside 3 Rounds. Plus there’s a 60% chance we’d get either a top 2 TE or WR.

Using what’s probably ultimately a best case scenario draft position in that tradeback it could look similar to this:
24 WR, Jalin Hyatt
41 TE, Darnell Washington
42 DT Mazi Smith
45 Edge, Will McDonald
56 S, Jordan Battle (from trade back)
78 OT, Jaelyn Duncan
116 RB, Tyjae Spears
146 (Used in 1st round trade)
170 WR, Jonathan Mingo

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Justin Jefferson
Christian Darrisaw
Ezra Cleveland
Brian O’Neill
T.J. Hockenson
Dalvin Cook
Danielle Hunter
Harrison Smith
Byron Murphy

Amon-Ra St. Brown
Taylor Decker
Frank Ragnow
Penei Sewell
DeAndre Swift
Aidan Hutchinson
Chauncey Gardner-Johnson
Cam Sutton

The team will have to evolve into a running offense with short 1st down passes. Once in a while take shots. If Love develops in matriculating down the field 2024 could be his gunslinger year.

Reaction score
The team will have to evolve into a running offense with short 1st down passes. Once in a while take shots. If Love develops in matriculating down the field 2024 could be his gunslinger year.
yeah this year is testing the waters and if we’re passing, the ball needs to come out quick. That spells an upgrade at Move TE, like a one Dalton Kincaid

IF we go the route of additionally pressing our RB room, look no further then Tyjae Spears as an addition mid-draft. He’s a feasible answer to trying our best to replace Aaron Jones. Which is also going to be tough next year. He’s scrappy like Jones with a tad more speed and he’s one of the 3 best YAC RB’s in this draft.
We have several Day 3 draft selections that could be used and a guy who keeps popping up around our 4-5th Round selection is Jonathan Mingo. He’s another short yardage guy who can hurt Defenses I space. He’s not a burner, but he fits a niche.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I honestly don't believe that the Packers will contend for a playoff spot even if Love shows promise as a first year starter. In my opinion the supporting cast just isn't good enough. In addition it's unrealistic to expect him to be a top 10 quarterback in his first season as a starter as well.

Out of the four things you list - 2 and 3 are likely, 1 is up in the air, and 4 is unlikely.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced the defense will perform up to their potential with Barry still around as their coordinator. Love will need to perform at a decent level for the rushing offense to have a chance at being a top 5-10 unit in the league, especially with the offensive line not excelling in blocking for the run.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point. Start out with the run and shorter, high % passes. Take the occasional shot downfield to keep safeties out of the box or CBs from blitzing. And who knows, maybe Love has a cannon and we're off to the races again. OK - long shot.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really Well said. If our primary target isn’t there. A trade back #15/146 for Baltimore’s 24/56. We’ll need as many stabs as possible inside 3 Rounds. Plus there’s a 60% chance we’d get either a top 2 TE or WR.

Using what’s probably ultimately a best case scenario draft position in that tradeback it could look similar to this:
24 WR, Jalin Hyatt
41 TE, Darnell Washington
42 DT Mazi Smith
45 Edge, Will McDonald
56 S, Jordan Battle (from trade back)
78 OT, Jaelyn Duncan
116 RB, Tyjae Spears
146 (Used in 1st round trade)
170 WR, Jonathan Mingo
I don't know much about TE Washington. I keep hearing Mayer, Musgrave, Kincaid. But the draft has more high quality TEs than usual.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
IF we go the route of additionally pressing our RB room, look no further then Tyjae Spears as an addition mid-draft. He’s a feasible answer to trying our best to replace Aaron Jones. Which is also going to be tough next year. He’s scrappy like Jones with a tad more speed and he’s one of the 3 best YAC RB’s in this draft.
Actually, if Aaron Jones continues to play well, his contract is now structured such that the Packers might choose to keep him. The guy they might have to move away from next year, is actually A.J. Dillon. This is the last year of his rookie deal and depending on what he wants, possibly starter like money, it would be wise for the Packers to have his replacement ready to go.

I am convinced more than ever that Aaron Jones is a deviation (exception to the rule) from the normal running backs, in that he was worth the second contract. Seems like teams are finding reasonable options at RB by signing old vets to cheap deals or just finding a rookie. I guess what I am saying, I wouldn't use a top draft pick or pay too much for a RB, unless his name is Aaron Jones. Given Gute's bad luck at 3rd round picks, maybe he finds Dillons replacement there.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Actually, if Aaron Jones continues to play well, his contract is now structured such that the Packers might choose to keep him. The guy they might have to move away from next year, is actually A.J. Dillon. This is the last year of his rookie deal and depending on what he wants, possibly starter like money, it would be wise for the Packers to have his replacement ready to go.

I am convinced more than ever that Aaron Jones is a deviation (exception to the rule) from the normal running backs, in that he was worth the second contract. Seems like teams are finding reasonable options at RB by signing old vets to cheap deals or just finding a rookie. I guess what I am saying, I wouldn't use a top draft pick or pay too much for a RB, unless his name is Aaron Jones. Given Gute's bad luck at 3rd round picks, maybe he finds Dillons replacement there.
You're right - Jones is an aberration at RB. He still runs between the tackles, takes lots of hits, and keeps going. And on top of that, he forgoes $5 mil to stay with GB. That kind of loyalty is rare in any sport, and really a welcome relief after watching greedy Rodgers grab for all he can and take more interest in his MVPs than a Lombardi.

And now that you mention it, I don't see Dillon as a featured back. Somebody will probably pay him like one, but it doesn't have to be GB. So yeah, let him go and grab a retread or just pick a RB in the third round.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones is not your normal professional athlete however as well - far more reasonable and intelligent than most that are merely going to roll to the highest bank statement. Jones is not unrealistic IMO and could be one of those backs that realizes he is pushing the wrong side of 30 soon and will continue to be reasonable so long as he loves it here. I could see if Jones truly believes Love is what GB thinks, he could see a chance to stay where he loves and SB isn't out of the question before he retires.

However, that said....his restructure was merely another delay of the inevitable as his hit next year is yet again crazy $17M which will not happen....and we tacked on void years. Personally I'd love to just sign him to a third contract reworked in that top 10 or so range with palatable style like the Preston Smith deal we did with him. Reasonable, but so long as he is a starter production wise the team most likely would never want to leave him high and dry.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO (as picks currently stand before the Jet trade) the Pack should not choose a RB before the 7th round. Too many other holes.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO (as picks currently stand before the Jet trade) the Pack should not choose a RB before the 7th round. Too many other holes.

It would be a rare situation where I could justify it either...like Chase Brown still on the board in the 5th. Or like Bijan there in the 2nd...perhaps even Gibbs in the third.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'm not going to make a huge deal out of any day 3 selection, but yeah... not with any of their top 100 picks.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to make a huge deal out of any day 3 selection, but yeah... not with any of their top 100 picks.
They don't have to draft a RB early, not before round 4, maybe even round 5. Seems there have been a lot of good backs coming out of college and getting drafted on day 3. The Packers have much bigger priorities than RB this year.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts