2023 5th Round Pick #149: Sean Clifford, QB, Penn State

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Appears Clifford is turning some heads at OTA's. Maybe Gute wasn't as "dumb" as some want to think he is?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
That is ALWAYS the case here.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They better sign him to that 5th year extension now. TIC. Seriously though, is it really a feather in Gutes cap if the back-up is outplaying the 1st round pick. On the other hand, I think you just answered the question you keep asking about who would be QB if they never drafted Love.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a good feeling about this Clifford guy, for what that's worth. Of course, I liked Matt Flynn too, so what do I know?

Reaction score
Appears Clifford is turning some heads at OTA's. Maybe Gute wasn't as "dumb" as some want to think he is?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Clifford was the player that knocked me out of Finishing strong in the Amish draft contest! I should hate the selection!

Gute’s strength is player acquisition and a sub category is he’s pretty strong at going after projection than proven. Anyone can get a great player with the #3 overall selection. Can you do that with a #12 or #17 or #22 overall? The only notable player that Gute has missed in earlier drafts is Savage, Josh Jackson,Stern and Burks. Yet even that Savage selection was not a natural as It was a “bonus” selection from a trade Gute perfected a season earlier and we landed J’aire in that move so it’s hard to argue with that 2018 draft trade back. The Savage pick basically cost us just a #76 and Late Day 3 swap, because it was an extra selection Brian netted in several crafty moves in the 2018 draft. It can thus be argued that the only Day 1 or Day 2 selection we missed at was Josh Jackson and several players (3) outside of #75 overall collateral. From 2018,19,20,21 we’ve hit on
J’aire Alexander
Rashan Gary
Elgton Jenkins
AJ Dillon
Eric Stokes
Josh Myers

Jordan Love is the only other player that hasn’t been a consistent starter. That 80% hit rate on natural 1st/2nd round draft picks across 4 consecutive drafts and with a chance at 90% shortly (Jordan Love).
If Gute hits on Jordan??
he’s easily a top 5 GM (or better) imo

It’s also looking positive on early signs of the 2022 draft with
Walker
Wyatt
Watson

No wonder Brian chose to stay the course in 2023, the guy understands talent and value.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While Clifford hasn't fully proven himself worthy of being a 5th round pick, he has gone a long way to prove all those doubters, that this wasn't just a "dumb pick" by Gute. I have been very impressed with him in the 2 preseason games that he has played. A mistake here and there, but all and all, this guy looks NFL ready and I don't think he would completely shiit the bed if called on during a game.

This poster on the Packers website makes another great point as to Clifford's value. I would also add that Clifford should be of value running the scout team against the #1 defense each week to prepare them for the next game.

Jerome from Morrow, OH

To me, Clifford's immediate value is running the offense in a way that enables a better evaluation and improvement of the young players on offense rather than his projected roster status. I think he has made himself useful. Please comment.

Absolutely. The longer the offense stays on the field, the more opportunities young players have to prove themselves. While Clifford may take some risks with the football, he's given Grant DuBose, Malik Heath, Cody Chrest and all these young receivers a chance to showcase their talents. That's a lot better than going three-and-out and sitting by the Gatorade cooler for the next 10 minutes. That's also the type of QB teams can win with if pressed into action. Shoot, that's how Gardner Minshew became an NFL household name.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clifford hasn't looked like complete dog ****, but he's been playing against a lot of guys that won't be in the league or at least not playing on Sundays and he's gotten away with more than a few mistakes. He has some potential, but if he had to come in I think he's quite capable of a 1 to 3 TD to INT ratio without trying maybe worse LOL. I think he has a long long ways to go before he could step in and face a starting NFL defense. Sure he'd make some plays, but i have zero doubts he'll turn it over, frequently at this point.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting to warm up to Clifford a little bit. Imagine if he was backing up and learning from AR.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clifford has learned the bulk of LeFleur's offense quicker than any other QB I can remember. When you look at his level of play at this point, and project growth in it, he could end up being one of the better back ups in the NFL in one or two years. He might also become a candidate for trade, where a 2nd or 3rd round pick could be in the mix.

Don't sell him short. He has the arm, reads the field well enough for a rookie, and has the footwork to be a decent signal caller.

It's all in what each of us sees, that formulates our opinions. Mine is based on how he steps up and controls the game.

Reaction score
Clifford has learned the bulk of LeFleur's offense quicker than any other QB I can remember. When you look at his level of play at this point, and project growth in it, he could end up being one of the better back ups in the NFL in one or two years. He might also become a candidate for trade, where a 2nd or 3rd round pick could be in the mix.

Don't sell him short. He has the arm, reads the field well enough for a rookie, and has the footwork to be a decent signal caller.

It's all in what each of us sees, that formulates our opinions. Mine is based on how he steps up and controls the game.
Sure. I think what’s really benefited him is he played 5 years in college. He’s older than Jordan Love and just an extra year or two of playing time goes a long ways into a QB maturing into a Pro.
Now for many positions you want a 21-22 year old player. Clifford just turned 25yrs old in July and is still young. At the QB position those guys can easily play 10+ years if they prove themselves. I don’t think you’d really want a Day3 drafted, 21yr old College Junior playing QB2 in the NFL with just a few exceptions.

Last edited:

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can hear Alonnis singing now. What if Gute's greatest draft pick ever, is a 5th round QB who becomes a starter and eventually leads the team to a SB victory. Of course that would throw some shade on a certain other draft pick. Isn't it ironic, don't you think.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure. I think what’s really benefited him is he played 5 years in college. He’s older than Jordan Love and just an extra year or two of playing time goes a long ways into a QB maturing into a Pro.
Now for many positions you want a 21-22 year old player. Clifford just turned 25yrs old in July and is still young. At the QB position those guys can easily play 10+ years if they prove themselves. I don’t think you’d really want a Day3 drafted, 21yr old College Junior playing QB2 in the NFL with just a few exceptions.
Excellent point on the time he played in college. A lot of development there.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can hear Alonnis singing now. What if Gute's greatest draft pick ever, is a 5th round QB who becomes a starter and eventually leads the team to a SB victory. Of course that would throw some shade on a certain other draft pick. Isn't it ironic, don't you think.
Good grief! If a 5th round pick were to lead the team to a SB you would think you would find some pleasure in that and not an opportunity to bash the GM because the 1st rd pick didnt.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
You didn't say which team. Was he a later pick than the GoaT TB12? What about Starr?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
While looking to answer my own question, 1958 Packers drafted HOFers in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round of the draft. John Madden was drafted in the 21st round the same year. 1965 Bears drafted HOFers with picks 3 & 4. 1989 draft picks 1,3,4,5 are in Canton. Anyone care to guess who #2 was?:rolleyes:
BTW TB12 was #199, BS15 was #200.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clifford hasn't looked like complete dog ****, but he's been playing against a lot of guys that won't be in the league or at least not playing on Sundays and he's gotten away with more than a few mistakes. He has some potential, but if he had to come in I think he's quite capable of a 1 to 3 TD to INT ratio without trying maybe worse LOL. I think he has a long long ways to go before he could step in and face a starting NFL defense. Sure he'd make some plays, but i have zero doubts he'll turn it over, frequently at this point.

Just not true. We’ve moved our ones early than both teams so far that I’ve seen. Quite a few high draft picks on defense were up against him.

Besides the weight of what we want him to be isn’t a first rounder but a solid back up hopefully, I’ve definitely witness more that suggest he is that than is not. No?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Starting to warm up to Clifford a little bit. Imagine if he was backing up and learning from AR.
Imagine if a poster didn't have pre consieved hatred for a Loved pick

I predict by 3 weeks some will hate being here and disappear

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just not true. We’ve moved our ones early than both teams so far that I’ve seen. Quite a few high draft picks on defense were up against him.

Besides the weight of what we want him to be isn’t a first rounder but a solid back up hopefully, I’ve definitely witness more that suggest he is that than is not. No?
There may have been some high draft picks out there against, him, but he was largely up against guys NOT on an NFL starting defense. That is true. And while I like how he attacks the game, seems to learn, and moves and throws, he has gotten away with more than a handful of mistakes I just don't see him getting away with against a starting NFL defense. So while it's nice to see, I think people are getting a little carried away. He would give us some good plays to get excited about, I do not see him coming in at this point and carrying us for a few games, no. I see 3 turnovers in a half actually.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Way too early thoughts. I wouldn't be surprised if he had to come in mid game due to injury and led a few scoring drives and looked good. Not as optimistic if he became the starter at some point due to injury and the opposition had the week to prepare for him. Again, time will tell.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm just saying there is zero indication that he is worthless nor that he is the next Purdy type replacement. I'd be shocked more so if he came in and threw four picks and no TDs than if he came and threw 1 TD and 1 INT in a game...far too early to know but he does not indicate to me at least a guy that is out of the league in a couple years.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I keep thinking about how Tom Brady was riding the pines, with Drew Bledsoe entrenched as the starter in New England. One injury, ended it all for him.

Despite the fact the Pats records weren't that great, Drew was considered a respectably good QB, and not at all likely to be replaced by Tom Brady. In one play, history changed.

You don't know what can happen, or who it can happen to. It's all part of the NFL.

Who'd have thunk that Bart Starr was drafted in the 17th round, John Unitas was snatched off a sandlot football team to be the Colts QB, or that Kurt Warner, who was bagging groceries in Iowa when he got the call that led him to the HOF, would have ever been the successes they were.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Captain he would have probably corrected you since that song was sung by Captain not about Captain.