2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I noticed this one too and laughed. This kind of goes to show you how either out of whack or out of date some of their information is. I have to think they are coming up with this figure based on Tonyan's 2020 numbers. As well as not taking into account that he only had 1 big season and he will be coming off of a major knee injury.

Any team that signs Tonyan for that kind of money is either crazy or the Chicago Bears.

Here is the link to their page explaining the estimations:

Now, the one thing they cannot adjust for in any formula based estimation would be injury impact without it being void of substantiating reasons. Clearly it will impact it though.

Tonyan IMO will get in the ballpark of a 7-8M/year deal if one year or in the range of 6-7 a year if multi. You also know for certain it will be structure in a way the team can shed if his injury proves too much to come back from.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Robert Tonyan/27 - $10.8M/yr - Jonu Smith/25, Logan Thomas/29, Tyler Higbee/26, CJ Uzomah/26...they predict a 3 year $24.29M contract or $8.09M/yr

De'Vondre Campbell/28 - $6.2M/yr - Nick Kwiatkoski/26, AJ Klein/28, Jayon Brown/26, Eric Wilson/26...they predict a 1 year $5.75M deal
I thought that Tonyan prediction was pretty whacked, also. His injury was late October and ACL's are "usually" a 1 year+ recovery, which means he's only available for 1/2 year at most and possibly not even 100% during that time. As a show of good faith I hope GB signs him to a 2 yr/$6Mil deal as 1st year is rehab & work off the rust. IF he returns to decent form he can still cash-in before he's 30 on a longer term deal.

IF Campbell is only valued at $5.75Mil/yr I hope GB offers a 3 yr/$18Mil deal with very low salaries early, a large one year 3 & $9Mil SB up front to keep him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tonyan IMO will get in the ballpark of a 7-8M/year deal if one year or in the range of 6-7 a year if multi. You also know for certain it will be structure in a way the team can shed if his injury proves too much to come back from.
Again, I think anyone paying that for Tonyan is absolutely crazy and I sure hope it isn't the Packers. His 2020 season was boosted by his 11 TD's, which I doubt he ever reproduces. Before his injury last season, he had 2 TD's in 8 games and the lowest catch percentage (62.1%) of his 4 NFL seasons. I can see the Packers wanting to keep Tonyan, but he may not be back on the field until Nov. and they definitely should not make the mistake that is too often made in the NFL, paying him based on 1 season of work and forgetting about his other 3.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, I think anyone paying that for Tonyan is absolutely crazy and I sure hope it isn't the Packers. His 2020 season was boosted by his 11 TD's, which I doubt he ever reproduces. Before his injury last season, he had 2 TD's in 8 games and the lowest catch percentage (62.1%) of his 4 NFL seasons. I can see the Packers wanting to keep Tonyan, but he may not be back on the field until Nov. and they definitely should not make the mistake that is too often made in the NFL, paying him based on 1 season of work and forgetting about his other 3.

LOL No one is saying we should do it.

If his 11 TD season was more the normal trust me that estimation would be using a few different TE signings over the past year or so to calculate his instead of the guys they did use.

Reaction score
Well. Yeah. Samkon Gado, who really was not too bad. But that was Thompson's takeover year. Team was in cap trouble going into that year as well. But still even with injuries TT could have produced a roster good enough to get to .500. After all he had a HOF QB just like we have today.
Do you know.. Gado played in Jerry Falwell territory (Lynchburg,VA). He wasn’t even the starting RB on the Liberty U lineup. Did he set the world on fire in the NFL? Absolutely not. However he came in and provided an immediate answer and paced 1,100 yards and 14TD’s (he only played 1/2 season though).
It’s an example of how players can be found to fill temporary roles at a fraction of the cost. Sign your key playmakers and find supporting roles in the bargain bin. Sometimes I think those guys have more drive than the known quantity.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dante Fowler released. Only cost the Falcons 4.66M of dead money and he never delivered as what they'd hoped.

Could be had for "cheaper" that might just need a change of scenery to be more of what he once was...or be that supplemental piece. He has dealt with issues and injuries, only seeing more than 59% of his teams' snaps once in his whole career...but he is only 28, has shown flashes especially in 2019 with the Rams with 11.5 sacks, over 80% of the snaps that year as well.

Lot of this will depend on what happens with our fiscal monies and whether we handcuff ourselves money wise to keep the ship afloat one more year before massive repairs and holes simply become too much to float without repairs.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dante Fowler released. Only cost the Falcons 4.66M of dead money and he never delivered as what they'd hoped.

Could be had for "cheaper" that might just need a change of scenery to be more of what he once was...or be that supplemental piece.
If I were Gute, instead of Fowler:
A. I'm taking a potential-stud OLB in Rnd 2 (after a WR in 1).
B. Try re-signing Mercilus for a 2 yr/$3Mil deal.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If I were Gute, instead of Fowler:
A. I'm taking a potential-stud OLB in Rnd 2 (after a WR in 1).
B. Try re-signing Mercilus for a 2 yr/$3Mil deal.

Mercilus and Fowler are quite interchangeable overall honestly. Such a signing (if able) wouldn't change my draft logic one bit of drafting a EDGE/OLB at any point in the draft - if not multiple times.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
John runyan. Mercedes lewis. Besides these two guys deserving a raise.... These are the types guys we need to target all off season. Former pro bowl /all pro guys. Who got downsized and maybe a injury concern. But for what ever reason, they are free agents and they are cheap....we need 5 new prove it former pro bowlers on the roster at a bargain price....

Forget this "develope the young guys" stuff. You can develope those roster spots when rodgers leaves. Later.... hopefully years later. .

Tonyan.... he has to be gone. Cant afford to sign some of these guys with cheaper backups...

Adams? I mean how???!!! How did we get 52 mil above the cap and have all these free agents ready to walk? Fiscally speaking , we need to pull off miracles to break even. We do not have the cap to sign Adam's. The brass messed up. Bad. Consolation? Top tier comp pick. Sign a 1st round wr is a must. And one of those savvy veteran wars needs to come here. Andre rison, or james Jones available? Jordy where you at? Seriously someone call Nelson. And Raji.....:)

So much dead cap space.... so so much. No doubt at all the packers brass built this roster to not have rodgers or Adam's on it.... I knew when they signed Jones they were gone..... Not many people expected Rodgers to pull back to back League MVP awards.... Makes some decisions look like..... well like ****. Those moves were pure ****. No other word for it.

Then let the purge begin. Our free agents are all gone basicly. And still need to come up with 52+ million. Rookie cap space needed. Few bandaid contributors need to be signed... it's going to be a metaphorical blood bath. And epic patch job. Just to keep the contacted core players available. I cant see how the cap situation got so bad. So so bad. Like did t these guys go to 10 years of ted Thompson cap school, taught by professor wimm? I mean.... what the hell is going on out there?!?!?

Reaction score
John runyan. Mercedes lewis. Besides these two guys deserving a raise.... These are the types guys we need to target all off season. Former pro bowl /all pro guys. Who got downsized and maybe a injury concern. But for what ever reason, they are free agents and they are cheap....we need 5 new prove it former pro bowlers on the roster at a bargain price....

Forget this "develope the young guys" stuff. You can develope those roster spots when rodgers leaves. Later.... hopefully years later. .

Tonyan.... he has to be gone. Cant afford to sign some of these guys with cheaper backups...

Adams? I mean how???!!! How did we get 52 mil above the cap and have all these free agents ready to walk? Fiscally speaking , we need to pull off miracles to break even. We do not have the cap to sign Adam's. The brass messed up. Bad. Consolation? Top tier comp pick. Sign a 1st round wr is a must. And one of those savvy veteran wars needs to come here. Andre rison, or james Jones available? Jordy where you at? Seriously someone call Nelson. And Raji.....:)

So much dead cap space.... so so much. No doubt at all the packers brass built this roster to not have rodgers or Adam's on it.... I knew when they signed Jones they were gone..... Not many people expected Rodgers to pull back to back League MVP awards.... Makes some decisions look like..... well like ****. Those moves were pure ****. No other word for it.

Then let the purge begin. Our free agents are all gone basicly. And still need to come up with 52+ million. Rookie cap space needed. Few bandaid contributors need to be signed... it's going to be a metaphorical blood bath. And epic patch job. Just to keep the contacted core players available. I cant see how the cap situation got so bad. So so bad. Like did t these guys go to 10 years of ted Thompson cap school, taught by professor wimm? I mean.... what the hell is going on out there?!?!?
Um. You’re going to call a 37 year old retired WR and a 35 year old NT and neither have played in 4-7 years?
That ought to fix everything!

Just call Gilbert Gravedigger, he’s probably in top shape

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Could be had for "cheaper" that might just need a change of scenery to be more of what he once was...or be that supplemental piece. He has dealt with issues and injuries, only seeing more than 59% of his teams' snaps once in his whole career...but he is only 28, has shown flashes especially in 2019 with the Rams with 11.5 sacks, over 80% of the snaps that year as well.

Lot of this will depend on what happens with our fiscal monies and whether we handcuff ourselves money wise to keep the ship afloat one more year before massive repairs and holes simply become too much to float without repairs.

I think Fowler will still be looking for too much money for it to make any sense for the Packers to pursue him.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Um. You’re going to call a 37 year old retired WR and a 35 year old NT and neither have played in 4-7 years?
That ought to fix everything!

Just call Gilbert Gravedigger, he’s probably in top shape
Well they called a 68 year old retired coach so apparently bringing back geezers isn't completely off the menu.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kenny's restructure clears around $11M - first official dominoe fell.....we also have the Z departure all but official.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also while there have been numerous indicators that perhaps swing a percent or two towards my feelings Rodgers is gone.....us clearly dipping deeper into voided year money with Clark is an indicator that Rodgers is staying and we are risking the future for it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Also while there have been numerous indicators that perhaps swing a percent or two towards my feelings Rodgers is gone.....us clearly dipping deeper into voided year money with Clark is an indicator that Rodgers is staying and we are risking the future for it.
Not really. We can't get over the cap hurdle by just trading Rodgers. So moves like this can happen and should happen, no matter what they do with Rodgers. Now if they rework a deal with Davante, I think THAT is a better indication of where Rodgers will be in 2022.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really. We can't get over the cap hurdle by just trading Rodgers. So moves like this can happen and should happen, no matter what they do with Rodgers. Now if they rework a deal with Davante, I think THAT is a better indication of where Rodgers will be in 2022.

Hence why I said it was to me is a small indicator of future sacrifices to roll the present; ala Rodgers staying. It most definitely doesn't swing the pendulum a ton or to 100% by any means.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hence why I said it was to me is a small indicator of future sacrifices to roll the present; ala Rodgers staying. It most definitely doesn't swing the pendulum a ton or to 100% by any means.
I don't know how to address this without seeming argumentative, other than just saying it, but some unnecessary back-and-forth in forums comes from a specific word or two in an overall post.

The "small" in the above makes it sound like it was meant to be just that. However, the actual post

didn't actually read that way. Just a pet peeve in sports forums. Now back to your regularly scheduled program. :)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know how to address this without seeming argumentative, other than just saying it, but some unnecessary back-and-forth in forums comes from a specific word or two in an overall post.

The "small" in the above makes it sound like it was meant to be just that. However, the actual post

didn't actually read that way. Just a pet peeve in sports forums. Now back to your regularly scheduled program. :)

Oh for sure, but I didn't take the questioning or comment in response in any ill fashion. Small or a few percentages swings on the pendulum isn't worth micro-discussion IMO...and as we all know at this point nothing concrete is known.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Any know what time Gute's presser is and have a link to see it live?

I have the team's youtube livestream up and it is waiting for him. It said noon so either he is running late or perhaps they said wrong time.

Or maybe Aaron is running late and they were going to shock us with a joint presser where he and Gute share the decision. LOL :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have the team's youtube livestream up and it is waiting for him. It said noon so either he is running late or perhaps they said wrong time.

Or maybe Aaron is running late and they were going to shock us with a joint presser where he and Gute share the decision. LOL :)
Thanks...isn't Noon yet....at least here in Wisconsin. ;)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He confirmed that many more such "moves" as Clark on coming...merely depends upon dominoes to occur prior or not.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He also said he doesn't envision a bunch of cuts...I'd assume that at minimum to get to a "bunch" you're in that 4 or more range....so Z and Crosby would still fit the statement. Maybe one more (Lowry, Turner or Preston...or Amos?....)

Members online