2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Really no new news from Gute's presser, unless you want to try and read between the lines.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Really no new news from Gute's presser, unless you want to try and read between the lines.

Honestly the only thing he confirmed is that they truly don't know where Rodgers decision lies. He eluded to the concept of multiple dominoes exist and will fall according to ones before which aren't decided. Like Rodgers though, Gute seems very confident in the knowledge of this will be sooner rather than later and it would seem it is going to be amicable regardless of what road we are headed down.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Honestly the only thing he confirmed is that they truly don't know where Rodgers decision lies. He eluded to the concept of multiple dominoes exist and will fall according to ones before which aren't decided. Like Rodgers though, Gute seems very confident in the knowledge of this will be sooner rather than later and it would seem it is going to be amicable regardless of what road we are headed down.
One thing I was surprised at and really kind of annoyed with, was reporters that obviously had written their question in advance of the presser, but still asked it. Questions that it was obvious before they asked it, that Gute either didn't have the answer or wouldn't share it. Mainly that was questions pertaining to the decisions about Rodgers, Adams and the roster in general. He think he did use the words "still hopeful" when he was referring to Campbell being back. That was my best take away from the presser.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I was surprised at and really kind of annoyed with, was reporters that obviously had written their question in advance of the presser, but still asked it. Questions that it was obvious before they asked it, that Gute either didn't have the answer or wouldn't share it. Mainly that was questions pertaining to the decisions about Rodgers, Adams and the roster in general. He think he did use the words "still hopeful" when he was referring to Campbell being back. That was my best take away from the presser.

Yeah the Campbell note I caught as well. That and just the overall peaceful vibe Gute resonates about the relationship with Rodgers as well is my other. Regardless of what direction this whole "decision" takes us, I strongly feel it is going to be a very good process for both parties.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That and just the overall peaceful vibe Gute resonates about the relationship with Rodgers as well is my other.
He always seems to exude a sense of calmness, but so did TT. I don't think he would have let on if there was a wildfire burning behind the scenes. I also don't blame him for not answering a lot of the questions directly, when negotiations are still going on. The last thing you want to do is tip your hand and then have to explain things when it didn't go as planned.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think the Packers front office has a clue as to what they're going to do at this point. They have to be putting together various scenarios, all hinging on Rodgers, and Adams. How they jump will determine where this whole thing goes.

I believe they're going to be asking both of them for long, spread out deals, that free cap. If they both say yes, it's move ahead. If either one balks, it's probably going to be adios to both of them.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think the Packers front office has a clue as to what they're going to do at this point. They have to be putting together various scenarios, all hinging on Rodgers, and Adams. How they jump will determine where this whole thing goes.

I believe they're going to be asking both of them for long, spread out deals, that free cap. If they both say yes, it's move ahead. If either one balks, it's probably going to be adios to both of them.

Which is exactly why Gute said it all hinges on the QB:

"Obviously everything around here centers around the quarterback. That's kind of how we do things," Gutekunst said Wednesday. "It's a big piece. It's a domino that has to fall before we go down other avenues. So it's important as we go through this and the puzzle pieces that we got to make fit. That's the first one to go. … There's some timing elements to things. We've had really good conversations with Aaron and everybody throughout the process."

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think the Packers front office has a clue as to what they're going to do at this point.
I doubt that they don't have a clue, but they may not know exactly how things will go. Basically, I picture a giant white board in Gute's office, with him, Ball and maybe MLF, making up all the flow charts of how decisions could go.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What Adams is going to do doesn't matter as there is nothing for him to do. If the Packers get under the number needed to franchise tag him, they will probably tag him. Now... will Adams negotiate, sit out or demand a trade is up for discussion, but really everything the Packers are doing hinges on Rodgers. Many of the roster decisions that are going to be made are probably going to be made regardless.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I doubt that they don't have a clue, but they may not know exactly how things will go. Basically, I picture a giant white board in Gute's office, with him, Ball and maybe MLF, making up all the flow charts of how decisions could go.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Which is exactly what I mean. It's going to be a cascading domino effect, and along the way, some of the parameters at each level will change, based on what the players do, in response to what's happening around them.

I think they're going to have to keep the Packer decision makers away from any alcoholic beverage for a period of time.....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Which is exactly what I mean. It's going to be a cascading domino effect, and along the way, some of the parameters at each level will change, based on what the players do, in response to what's happening around them.

I think they're going to have to keep the Packer decision makers away from any alcoholic beverage for a period of time.....
True. I do think they have a general plan of attack and as we and everyone else keep saying, that hinges on Rodgers. I also think at this point, they may have a good idea which way Rodgers is leaning, as well as what they will need to do with regards to Davante, when the Rodgers situation is done.

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the presser and didn't learn a lot.

If you had "like I said" or "hypothetical" as your drinking word/phrase, you were drunk within 10 minutes.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the presser and didn't learn a lot.

If you had "like I said" or "hypothetical" as your drinking word/phrase, you were drunk within 10 minutes.

What hypotheticals did he go into? That is actually something I've always felt Gute avoids like the black plague.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this much....I'm more and more aligning with a thought process that if Rodgers is back and we tag Adams for the one year run....drafting a high flying WR in the draft is pointless and we'd be better served to avoid the position till the 4th probably or so. Rodgers simply will continue to feed the animal that is Adams, and when not him Jones...or go back to Adams...again justified whether you like it or not it just is true. With that you can have a MUCH deadlier 2022 offense if you don't worry about WR starter in the draft and get a starting level TE, or a stud OL starter to bump Newman out or make Turner possibly a release candidate well before drafting a WR high. Lord knows this approach fits with what we seem to do as well....

No good spot to release this thought process so chose to spew it on this thread of all the options.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll say this much....I'm more and more aligning with a thought process that if Rodgers is back and we tag Adams for the one year run....drafting a high flying WR in the draft is pointless and we'd be better served to avoid the position till the 4th probably or so. Rodgers simply will continue to feed the animal that is Adams, and when not him Jones...or go back to Adams...again justified whether you like it or not it just is true. With that you can have a MUCH deadlier 2022 offense if you don't worry about WR starter in the draft and get a starting level TE, or a stud OL starter to bump Newman out or make Turner possibly a release candidate well before drafting a WR high. Lord knows this approach fits with what we seem to do as well....

No good spot to release this thought process so chose to spew it on this thread of all the options.
Tough choices. Hard to figure out at this point where it all ends up. This was a good place to make the statement, in my opinion. I don't think drafting anyone as a WR will give results during this upcoming season. Very few WRs do during their first year. There are a lot of other needs, after guys leave, or are dumped.

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What hypotheticals did he go into? That is actually something I've always felt Gute avoids like the black plague.
None - but he used the word in just about every response, so if you had that as your drinking cue ..........

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tough choices. Hard to figure out at this point where it all ends up. This was a good place to make the statement, in my opinion. I don't think drafting anyone as a WR will give results during this upcoming season. Very few WRs do during their first year. There are a lot of other needs, after guys leave, or are dumped.

With Adams on the roster I agree no WR is going to have a measurable or sizable enough impact on the offense to justify picking one high, first round definitely out, second round most likely don't do that either...

...but if Adams isn't then I push back a little on the concept there won't be a WR that will give results this next year. It seems to be a concensus that at least one or two of the following guys will be there at the 28th pick:

Garret Wilson
Treylon Burks
Drake London
Chris Olave
David Bell
Jameson Williams (injury healing to keep in mind...but SKILLED)
Jahan Dotson

That is 7 WRs a figure nearly no draft EVER has gone in the first. ZERO guarantee, but all of those 7 are fully capable it seems to transfer to the NFL and deliver #2 type production for a team 50rec/700yds/5tds or so type of a line.

That is a statline we haven't seen a WR get close to since Cobb in 2017 where he had 66rec/653yds/4tds

and actually accomplished was Davante Adams in 2016

Rookies to do it last year: Waddle, Amon-Ra St Brown, Chase, DeVonta Smith....Bateman had he seen all the games would have most likely hit it, Rondale Moore came close in just 14 games, Elijah Moore also would have but saw just 11 games...Nico Collins 14 games put up 33/446/1td respectfully.

Just including all this as a reference NOT to defend the believe it would be a sure thing to get a say even 500 yards type year out of a WR if we drafted them high though.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was pleased we found a way to retain Jones, he’s a consummate professional and he’s a vital piece of this Offense.
I also still believe we are 1 OL upgrade away (plus some injury

We didn't retain him with this restructure. He was already signed in 2022 and actually beyond. This merely allowed the shifting of some of his hit in 2022 to future years through void years mainly.

Reaction score
I was pleased we found a way to retain Jones, he’s a consummate professional and he’s a vital piece of this Offense. It makes sense carving out Cap dollars from anyone who we know it already a mainstay.

I do expect us to dramatically improve our Rushing numbers as a RB group. There’s absolutely no reason we can’t get into the top 5 to 10 Rushing area with our RB personnel. Our RB group is far too talented to be finishing in the bottom half of the league in cumulative yards. It’s time to lean into that phase more as it’s a current strength with lots of experience.

Not directly related to Salary Cap I think we need 1 more upgrade at OL and then get Nijman resigned if reasonable, he’s a valuable contingency plan to an injury prone group.

Last edited:

PackerRyche

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw the news on Jones earlier today. If we get one more year with him, I'm good. Dillon's progress this past year was really outstanding - especially in the receiving department. He also did a much better job in pass protection recognition. I think he could be a top 10 back next season, barring injury. His only drawback is open field speed. Amari Rodgers could be a slot back for mostly screens and short yardage in the flat once Jones is gone - assuming Amari is still around. Patrick Taylor did good work with limited snaps last season as well.

Reaction score
We didn't retain him with this restructure. He was already signed in 2022 and actually beyond. This merely allowed the shifting of some of his hit in 2022 to future years through void years mainly.
I realize that we did that last year. But it still affects the big picture and it was an easy move to gain cap today is what I meant

Plus I was only half finished writing that and somehow it got saved. The thread order makes it look like you read my mind. Lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts