2022 Salary Cap Riddle/Thread/Discussion

D

Deleted member 6794

Also while there have been numerous indicators that perhaps swing a percent or two towards my feelings Rodgers is gone.....us clearly dipping deeper into voided year money with Clark is an indicator that Rodgers is staying and we are risking the future for it.

As I've mentioned repeatedly, the Packers will need to account for all that dead money for a season which will definitely end up being a rebuilding year. But as that was bound to happen once Rodgers moves anyway there's no reason to be that pessimistic about it.

Not really. We can't get over the cap hurdle by just trading Rodgers. So moves like this can happen and should happen, no matter what they do with Rodgers. Now if they rework a deal with Davante, I think THAT is a better indication of where Rodgers will be in 2022.

I definitely believe the Packers restructuring Clark's and Jones' contracts, adding voided years in the process, is a strong indicator they expect Rodgers back for next season.

I'll say this much....I'm more and more aligning with a thought process that if Rodgers is back and we tag Adams for the one year run....drafting a high flying WR in the draft is pointless and we'd be better served to avoid the position till the 4th probably or so. Rodgers simply will continue to feed the animal that is Adams, and when not him Jones...or go back to Adams...again justified whether you like it or not it just is true.

The Packers would still benefit from adding a decent #2 wide receiver while keeping Adams. They might not be able to bring in one though.

I was pleased we found a way to retain Jones, he’s a consummate professional and he’s a vital piece of this Offense. It makes sense carving out Cap dollars from anyone who we know it already a mainstay.

In a vacuum the Packers re-signing Jones was a great move. Unfortunately with their cap situation (which was well known at the time the move was made) it shouldn't be considered as a smart one though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yup just waiting to hear it they added void years, if not saved about 7M roughly if voided years added could be more and as much as 11 or so I believe.

The Packers converted $11.58 million of Bakhtiari's compensation in 2022 into a signing bonus and added two void years to save $9.264 million of cap space for the upcoming season.

That move will make it close to impossible to move on from him before the 2023 season as well.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers converted $11.58 million of Bakhtiari's compensation in 2022 into a signing bonus and added two void years to save $9.264 million of cap space for the upcoming season.

That move will make it close to impossible to move on from him before the 2023 season as well.
Yup, which I’m praying means the team is sure he is gonna be fine health wise

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I watch this develop, I keep thinking that even if Rodgers does leave, these adjustments might allow the Packers to actually go after a QB that could help them in the near future. Don't laugh when I say this, but Russ Wilson does come to mind. Packers trade Rodgers, get a first for him, trade for Russ, give up a first for him, and sign him to a 3 or 4 year contract? Have a little cap relief in the process?

I didn't crunch the numbers on this, so it's just a guess. Someone like Russ would take the heat off of them with Love. They could even trade him. Who knows?

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I watch this develop, I keep thinking that even if Rodgers does leave, these adjustments might allow the Packers to actually go after a QB that could help them in the near future. Don't laugh when I say this, but Russ Wilson does come to mind. Packers trade Rodgers, get a first for him, trade for Russ, give up a first for him, and sign him to a 3 or 4 year contract? Have a little cap relief in the process?

I didn't crunch the numbers on this, so it's just a guess. Someone like Russ would take the heat off of them with Love. They could even trade him. Who knows?
Or Love turns out to be just fine after given a fair chance. The logical choice is Rodgers or Love in 2022 no matter what, because the QB situation can be addressed in 2023 when the draft class will be better

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not directly related to Salary Cap I think we need 1 more upgrade at OL and then get Nijman resigned if reasonable, he’s a valuable contingency plan to an injury prone group.
Been thru this already, Nijman is an ERFA and will be signed for $895k for '22.
Why is Gute doing all of this restructuring before he knows what AR wants for '22...unless AR has already informed Gute that he's all-in for another 2 or 3 years?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Been thru this already, Nijman is an ERFA and will be signed for $895k for '22.
Why is Gute doing all of this restructuring before he knows what AR wants for '22...unless AR has already informed Gute that he's all-in for another 2 or 3 years?
Could be, but I think a lot of moves to get under the cap have to take place, no matter where Rodgers is next season.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be, but I think a lot of moves to get under the cap have to take place, no matter where Rodgers is next season.
The maximum relief they could get if they trade Rodgers is less than half of what they need so yeah, some of these moves need to be done regardless. Then they will need another 20+ million if they want to tag Adams.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The maximum relief they could get if they trade Rodgers is less than half of what they need so yeah, some of these moves need to be done regardless. Then they will need another 20+ million if they want to tag Adams.
Conceivably, restructuring Rodgers contract, could bring more cap relief than trading him.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score

Reworking the contracts of Clark, Jones, and Bakhtiari are cap relief moves that need to be done regardless of who is behind center in 2022. Both OTC & Spotrac show about $30M more is needed to get to the cap by March 16th. Make that $50M more cap reductions if they want to tag Adams.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reworking the contracts of Clark, Jones, and Bakhtiari are cap relief moves that need to be done regardless of who is behind center in 2022. Both OTC & Spotrac show about $30M more is needed to get to the cap by March 16th. Make that $50M more cap reductions if they want to tag Adams.

Unless he retires whatever we do with Rodgers, along with cutting Z will get us that plus about 5 million more. An alexander extension another 10-12. Cutting Cobb and Crosby another 9. That should be roughly enough for the rookies and to resign Adams (tag would take more.) IMO this brings us more or less back to where we were last year. Maybe a little less because we will need still need to replace a couple of WRs, Campbell and maybe Douglas but barring any significant injuries we should still be competitive for the SB. This obviously means that the whatever we do with Rodgers means we give him an extension.

just looked at some of the new deals. I see another restructure for Clark next year or he is a 24 million dollar hit in 2023

Same with Bakhtiari who is a 28.5. It won't really pay to cut DB after this year because it will only save us 1.7 million and assuming he is back as good as before h's worth that extra 1.7.

Jones would be a cut candidate because it would save us 10 million.

Conceivably, restructuring Rodgers contract, could bring more cap relief than trading him.
According to OTC a restructure would give us about 6 million less relief but and extension could give us about 2 million more than a trade.

D

Deleted member 6794

Wilson would count $24 million against the Packers cap in 2022 if they trade for him. While it would be possible to renegotiate his deal I don't consider it to be realistic to immediately replace Rodgers with another expensive quarterback.

It's true the Packers needed to make several moves to get under the cap no matter what but it's the ones they actually made which strongly indicates they expect Rodgers to return.

The Packers releasing Z and restructuring Rodgers' deal will effectively result in them being $2 million under the cap.

There are other moves to create enough cap space (like extending Alexander) to keep the band together for at least another year.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Wilson would count $24 million against the Packers cap in 2022 if they trade for him. While it would be possible to renegotiate his deal I don't consider it to be realistic to immediately replace Rodgers with another expensive quarterback.
-----------------------------------------​
I thought about this, when I posted it. Then tossed that fact aside. Not saying that isn't what would stopping it from happening, but kind of asking myself if something like that could happen, with Russ taking a big chunk of that money he'd get, and pushing it out about 3 or 4 years? I should have done the math, but figured... what the hell! There are other scenarios out there that are even less viable. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

I thought about this, when I posted it. Then tossed that fact aside. Not saying that isn't what would stopping it from happening, but kind of asking myself if something like that could happen, with Russ taking a big chunk of that money he'd get, and pushing it out about 3 or 4 years? I should have done the math, but figured... what the hell! There are other scenarios out there that are even less viable. :)

In my opinion the issue with Wilson would be that at age 33 he would still be looking for a long-term deal as one of the highest paid quarterbacks in the league.

The Packers are currently not in a situation to fit such a contract under their cap.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While we have a ton of voided year dumps that will occur, and yes massive cap issues in 2022.....here is a shining little nugget for the cap future "kinda"

In 2023 or beyond, we essentially have three veteran contributing players that are signed - Bakhtiari, Clark, and Jones (but his is laughably high and won't happen as written).

That gives us a ton of "light" perhaps cap wise as we look beyond 2022...but it also shows just how built for now presently the Packers are. It will be interesting if Green Bay in the next couple weeks begin to tip their hat to what players the future is coupled to - the clear one is Jaire for sure as I expect he is extended. I think before his injury Jenkins was another that could have seen discussions in season, Gary is another as well.

D

Deleted member 6794

While we have a ton of voided year dumps that will occur, and yes massive cap issues in 2022.....here is a shining little nugget for the cap future "kinda"

In 2023 or beyond, we essentially have three veteran contributing players that are signed - Bakhtiari, Clark, and Jones (but his is laughably high and won't happen as written).

That gives us a ton of "light" perhaps cap wise as we look beyond 2022...but it also shows just how built for now presently the Packers are. It will be interesting if Green Bay in the next couple weeks begin to tip their hat to what players the future is coupled to - the clear one is Jaire for sure as I expect he is extended. I think before his injury Jenkins was another that could have seen discussions in season, Gary is another as well.

You need to consider that the Packers currently have only 16 players under contract for the 2023 season yet already have $114 million of cap space allocated towards the cap for that year though.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You need to consider that the Packers currently have only 16 players under contract for the 2023 season yet already have $114 million of cap space allocated towards the cap for that year though.
Scary, ain't it? They can push the inevitable back a year or two, but the further back they push it, the deeper the hole is that they need to climb out. Somewhere along the line, somebody needs to take a deep breath, and say; "Enough is enough! We need to face reality!"

D

Deleted member 6794

Scary, ain't it? They can push the inevitable back a year or two, but the further back they push it, the deeper the hole is that they need to climb out. Somewhere along the line, somebody needs to take a deep breath, and say; "Enough is enough! We need to face reality!"

The truly scary thing is that 13 of those players will still be on their rookie deals in 2023.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Capt, I'm merely trying to NOT focus on gloom fiscally at the moment :) LOL Trust me I saw this but chose to not include - as it yet again would draw eye only to the bad :cry:

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The truly scary thing is that 13 of those players will still be on their rookie deals in 2023.

Stop adding things like this LOL

Many of us have been painting the picture of how DUMB fiscally 'keeping things' for running it back truly costs us - but simply pushed aside, but someday it will catch up for sure.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I foresee Yosh back, and some bargain barrel Dennis Kelly type signing again (maybe even Kelly again - he isn't going to be more expensive). Add a draft pick or two and I'm not discouraged with the direction our OL is in - fully expect Newman to be cleaner should he get the starting nod again, Bakh hopefully back strong and growth from Cole Van Lanen and other draft picks is a very good start.

Members online

Latest posts