2022 Draft #34 Christian Watson

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#9 has his sights next on Eddie Lacy Rookie season.Eddie had 11TD’s all purpose total (OROY)
Christian needs just 3 TD’s in the last 4 contests to pass Lacy with 12 TD’s.

I'm not terribly good at math but I'm pretty sure 3+8 is 11 not 12? He needs four to get to 12.

(FTR everyone it is I not Oldschool with the egg on his face LOL - I did say I wasn't good at math! Watson has two rushing TDs, I forgot the first one...LOL)

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson and Doubs are probably #1 and #2 moving forward. What does that mean for Lazard? Cobb and Watkins are likely gone next year so how much will the Packers be willing to pay for a good blocking #3 WR? My hunch is that he's a cap casually and Gute replaces him with a 3rd or 4th round draft pick. Next year the WR Corp will likely be Watson, Doubs, draft pick, Toure, a cheap veteren free agent.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#9 has his sights next on Eddie Lacy Rookie season.Eddie had 11TD’s all purpose total (OROY)
Christian needs just 3 TD’s in the last 4 contests to pass Lacy with 12 TD’s.

The one bright spot this season is we might just have the league’s Offensive ROY.
I've been thinking about this recently too. Would've said Breece Hall was a shoe-in before injury but you know how that goes.

Seems like at the moment the top 5 contenders for OROY (at least the names I am most frequently seeing) are:

Kenneth Walker III (RB, Seattle): 138 rushes for 649 yards (4.7 y/c), 9 rush TD; 19 receptions for 116 yards (6.1 y/r), 0 TD. Total: 11 games total, 7 games started. 157 touches, 765 scrimmage yards (4.9 yards/touch), 0 fumbles, 9 TD

Chris Olave (WR, New Orleans): 56 rec for 822 yards (14.7 y/r), 3 TD; 0 rushes for 0 yards and 0 TD. Total: 11 games total, 7 games started. 56 touches, 822 scrimmage yards (14.7 yards/touch), 1 fumble, 3 TD

Dameon Pierce (RB, Houston): 198 rushes for 861 yards (4.3 y/c), 3 rush TD; 30 rec for 165 yards (5.5 y/r), 1 rec TD. Total: 12 games total, 12 games started. 228 touches, 1026 scrimmage yards (4.5 yards/touch), 3 fumbles, 4 TD

Garrett Wilson (WR, NY Jets): 57 rec for 790 yards (13.9 y/r), 4 TD; 4 rushes for 4 yards (1.0 y/c) and 0 TD. Total: 12 games total, 7 games started. 61 touches, 794 scrimmage yards (13.0 yards/touch), 1 fumble, 4 TD.

Christian Watson (WR, Green Bay): 25 rec for 401 yards (16.0 y/r), 7 TD; 5 rushes for 68 yards (13.6 ypc), 2 TD. Total: 10 games total, 7 games started. 30 touches, 469 scrimmage yards (15.6 yards/touch), 0 fumble, 9 TD.

Of course Watson does not have as much raw yardage as some of the others but still I'd think he has as good of a case as anyone right now. Tied for most total TD on far fewer touches and leads the field in yards gained per touch.

Just for some comparison prior to injury:
Breece Hall (RB, NY Jets): 80 rushes for 463 yards (5.8 y/c), 4 TD; 19 rec for 218 yards (11.5 y/r), 1 TD. Total: 7 games total, 2 games started. 99 touches, 681 scrimmage yards (6.9 yards/touch), 1 fumble, 5 TD.

And beyond just games appeared/games started, snap counts are as follows:

Wilson - 574 (73%)
Pierce - 472 (65%)
Olave - 461 (68%)
Walker - 385 (55%)
Watson - 330 (51%)
Hall - 233 (49%)

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson and Doubs are probably #1 and #2 moving forward. What does that mean for Lazard? Cobb and Watkins are likely gone next year so how much will the Packers be willing to pay for a good blocking #3 WR? My hunch is that he's a cap casually and Gute replaces him with a 3rd or 4th round draft pick. Next year the WR Corp will likely be Watson, Doubs, draft pick, Toure, a cheap veteren free agent.

You do know Lazard is gone after this year as much as Cobb and Watkins right?

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson currently is on 9 total TDs (7 rec, 2 rush)

LOL wait he has two rushing TDs....oh my word I spaced that one LOL

I'm gonna leave my "correction" so everyone can see the egg on my face moment! Too funny!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking forward to Watson and Doubs in 2023. Gonna be two darned good receivers in the house. In 2024, they may be one of the top 5 combos in the league. They have that much potential.
Agreed and probably why Rodgers will stay.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You do know Lazard is gone after this year as much as Cobb and Watkins right?
I agree. Given the cap considerations, I don't think the Packers will match another team for free agent Lazard at the end of the season just for a #3 WR who blocks well. I'd like to see him back, but it just doesn't add up financially.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. Given the cap considerations, I don't think the Packers will match another team for free agent Lazard at the end of the season just for a #3 WR who blocks well. I'd like to see him back, but it just doesn't add up financially.

That said IF he is back because they agree to a deal, I don't want his contract to be any farther than Doubs and Watson. I don't want another WR's contract to be in the way of potentially resigning one or both should they prove worth it.

Reaction score
I'm not terribly good at math but I'm pretty sure 3+8 is 11 not 12? He needs four to get to 12.

(FTR everyone it is I not Oldschool with the egg on his face LOL - I did say I wasn't good at math! Watson has two rushing TDs, I forgot the first one...LOL)
It’s ok.
You’re apparently not the only one who forgot. The game Announcer said “this is Watson’s first rushing TD” after he scored and no one corrected him either.

Reaction score
I agree. To me? Lazard is just not worth more than about $7-8M area (although he’ll probably get $10M+ somewhere else) and only that because he’s entrenched in our system. I’d go get a decent veteran FA from the bargain bin (in that $2-6M area). Then draft 1 more Rookie WR before Day3 (top #15-#79 overall) I like having some position overlap down the road.
We should also strongly consider TE (by Round 4 at the latest) to bolster our receiving options.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. To me? Lazard is just not worth more than about $7-8M area (although he’ll probably get $10M+ somewhere else) and only that because he’s entrenched in our system. I’d go get a decent veteran FA from the bargain bin (in that $2-6M area). Then draft 1 more Rookie WR before Day3 (top #15-#79 overall) I like having some position overlap down the road.
We should also strongly consider TE (by Round 4 at the latest) to bolster our receiving options.
The Packers TE group is underwhelming to say the least. Deguara is another third round bust IMO. Gute needs to spend a first or second round pick at TE to bring in better talent. The problem is TE's take a long time to develop and Gute's record at picking TE's in later rounds isn't good. I hope he uses the cursed third round pick in a trade.

Reaction score
The Packers TE group is underwhelming to say the least. Deguara is another third round bust IMO. Gute needs to spend a first or second round pick at TE to bring in better talent. The problem is TE's take a long time to develop and Gute's record at picking TE's in later rounds isn't good. I hope he uses the cursed third round pick in a trade.
Id like that.
The only thing I will say is we should be picking quite a bit earlier than our typical #30 or so.
However, this TE class is underwhelming in 2023. There is currently only 1-2 TE’s solid in that Round 1-2 area. By Round 3 I like Darnell Washington from The Bulldogs.

There’s lots of smaller, Slot worthy WR’s though to pair with Watson. Cobb has been a blessing, but his days are coming to an end.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id like that.
The only thing I will say is we should be picking quite a bit earlier than our typical #30 or so.
However, this TE class is underwhelming in 2023. There is currently only 1-2 TE’s solid in that Round 1-2 area. By Round 3 I like Darnell Washington from The Bulldogs.

There’s lots of smaller, Slot worthy WR’s though to pair with Watson. Cobb has been a blessing, but his days are coming to an end.
The Packers may be in a position to take ND TE Mayer in round 1. I know, the O-line needs help, but the Packers have done a great job selecting and coaching O linemen in later rounds. Mayer looks like n impact player, a starter on day One. I'm sure there are differing opinions, but if Mayer is there when the Packers pick, I hope they take him.

Reaction score
The Packers may be in a position to take ND TE Mayer in round 1. I know, the O-line needs help, but the Packers have done a great job selecting and coaching O linemen in later rounds. Mayer looks like n impact player, a starter on day One. I'm sure there are differing opinions, but if Mayer is there when the Packers pick, I hope they take him.
Good stuff.
Also Check out WR Jordan Addison to pair with Doubs and Watson. He’s a smooth operator! He’s good enough to start Day 1 with a big time top ceiling. Cobbs successor and we’d have a Receiving arsenal if we got him and signed a solid Veteran Wideout for security. His ability to come back for the ball (back shoulder or QB scrambles) is impressive. He’ll eat you alive underneath and he’ll singe you over the top

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good stuff.
Also Check out WR Jordan Allison to pair with Doubs and Watson. He’s a smooth operator! He’s good enough to start Day 1 with a big time top ceiling. Cobbs successor and we’d have a Receiving arsenal if we got him and signed a solid Veteran Wideout for security. His ability to come back for the ball (back shoulder or QB scrambles) is impressive. He’ll eat you alive underneath and he’ll singe you over the top
I admit I haven't kept up with the draft much. Where does Allison play?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I admit I haven't kept up with the draft much. Where does Allison play?
According to Wiki....this is the latest on him:

Jordan Allison was born on 9 July 1983 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He is an actor, known for The Pacifier (2005), Goosebumps (1995) and Run Away Home (2004).

Then there are these Jordan Allisons:

Now if it is Jordan Addison that you are looking for:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jordan Allison was born on 9 July 1983 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He is an actor, known for The Pacifier (2005), Goosebumps (1995) and Run Away Home (2004).

6'0" 175 lbs. Hard pass.

Reaction score

Addison Allison Jeronimo Jordan Jason blah blah blah

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking forward to Watson and Doubs in 2023. Gonna be two darned good receivers in the house. In 2024, they may be one of the top 5 combos in the league. They have that much potential.

Dont forget about Toure...the three have the potential to be the Packers 1, 2, and 3 wrs in 2023. I think they're all that good.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dont forget about Toure...the three have the potential to be the Packers 1, 2, and 3 wrs in 2023. I think they're all that good.
Toure could also be part of the mix. It's going to be interesting going into next season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Next year the WR Corp will likely be Watson, Doubs, draft pick, Toure, a cheap veteren free agent.

If Rodgers is still around the Packers should add an expensive veteran free agent.

Lazard is just not worth more than about $7-8M area (although he’ll probably get $10M+ somewhere else) and only that because he’s entrenched in our system.

I definitely don't want the Packers to offer Lazard that kind of money.

Gute needs to spend a first or second round pick at TE to bring in better talent. The problem is TE's take a long time to develop and Gute's record at picking TE's in later rounds isn't good.

Michael Mayer most likely would be able to have an immediate impact.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers is still around the Packers should add an expensive veteran free agent.

I definitely don't want the Packers to offer Lazard that kind of money.
I'll be honest part of me sees this as a contradiction somewhat.

Some of the WR names for sure as UFA in 2023....who do you have as CLEAR targets you'd prefer for our system than Lazard? I only got to 4 others before I struggled to say clearly before...

Nelson Agholor
Sterling Shepard
DJ Chark
Randall Cobb
Olamide Zaccheaus
Deonte Harty
Marvin Jones
Julio Jones
Byron Pringle
Allen Lazard
Jakobi Meyers
JuJu