2022 Draft #34 Christian Watson

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers is still around the Packers should add an expensive veteran free agent.
expensive veteran??? Why balloon the cap even farther? If the goal is to have a veteran in the WR room to help coach-up the young guys just throw a 1yr/$1.5Mil deal at Cobb to come back. Don't see much value in any of the other FA on that list above as helping much except for maybe 34 yr old Julio Jones.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I agree with Captain on the Packers needing to add a decent WR next season, I don't think a WR has to be "expensive", to be good, especially if the contract is structured favorably. I also don't think that the Packers have to limit themselves to the list above. There is always the trade route or guys getting cut. The Packers need to find a vet that matches up with Rodgers (if he is back) and the Packers system. Seems every year that a player underperformed, was injured or just needs a fresh start, that is the WR the Packers need to find.

As far as Lazard goes, I think he has had plenty of time and opportunities to excel in GB. While he is an ok WR, I doubt he ever becomes a top 30 WR. Would I want him back in GB? Sure, at the right price, but not if it comes down to resigning him and staying pat with the current group. Same with Cobb. I like Cobb, but the Packers need more at the WR group than they currently have.

Yes, both Watson and Doubs should continue to improve, but there are always injuries, dips in progress and it never hurts to have 3-4 really decent WR's.

The other route to go, albeit a risky one, is the draft. This would be my choice if Rodgers is leaving and Love is taking over. If the Packers end up with a top 10 pick and can parlay that into more high picks, I can see them nabbing both TE Michael Mayer and a top WR. Couple those 2 with Watson and Doubs...and it could be a deadly group for defenses to defend.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Attachments

• MichaelMyers2018.jpg
    MichaelMyers2018.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 65

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers is still around the Packers should add an expensive veteran free agent.

I definitely don't want the Packers to offer Lazard that kind of money.

Michael Mayer most likely would be able to have an immediate impact.
Is Michael Mayer that much better than TJ Hockensen? The Lions spent a high first round pick on him and already gave up on him in his rookie contract. While it's the Lions, and you have to question their decisions, TJ Hockensen wasn't lighting it up like they expected. It's a rare rookie TE who comes in and makes an immediate difference. I wouldn't have a problem picking Mayer in the first but most likely, the payoff is in year three.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll be honest part of me sees this as a contradiction somewhat.

Some of the WR names for sure as UFA in 2023....who do you have as CLEAR targets you'd prefer for our system than Lazard? I only got to 4 others before I struggled to say clearly before...

Nelson Agholor
Sterling Shepard
DJ Chark
Randall Cobb
Olamide Zaccheaus
Deonte Harty
Marvin Jones
Julio Jones
Byron Pringle
Allen Lazard
Jakobi Meyers
JuJu
AJ Green
Mack Hollins
Sammy Watkins
Breshad Perriman
Parris Campbell
Rashard Higgins
Equanimeous St Brown
Deandre Carter
Darius Slayton
Mecole Hardman
Zach Pascal

Of that list randall cobb and allen lazard are the best fits for the Packers. However I certainly wouldn't want to pay Lazard a multu year deal at 10 m per year

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some of the WR names for sure as UFA in 2023....who do you have as CLEAR targets you'd prefer for our system than Lazard? I only got to 4 others before I struggled to say clearly before...

Nelson Agholor
Sterling Shepard
DJ Chark
Randall Cobb
Olamide Zaccheaus
Deonte Harty
Marvin Jones
Julio Jones
Byron Pringle
Allen Lazard
Jakobi Meyers
JuJu
AJ Green
Mack Hollins
Sammy Watkins
Breshad Perriman
Parris Campbell
Rashard Higgins
Equanimeous St Brown
Deandre Carter
Darius Slayton
Mecole Hardman
Zach Pascal
Thanks for the research. I'm hard pressed to say there's anyone on that list is a "must have" or an impact player. Permian and Schuster-Smith are possibilities to replace Watkins, but they're not superstar WRs.

As some others have written, Watson and Doubs should be a potent one-two punch next year. I'd rather the Packers drafted TE Mayer from ND, who looks to be an impact player. I don't think Lazard has shown himself to be more than $7-8 mil/year - but I felt the same way about MVS and he's doing very well in KC as far as I can see.

If they can keep Rodgers and spend in FA then it might make more sense to draft Mayer and add a solid OT in FA. Although I admit, I thought Bakhtiari was done, but he hasn't been playing that way. The other need is for a S, assuming they keep Amos and dump Savage.

That's all to say that if Rodgers stays, this looks like a good team next year. They need to remake their defensive coaching, starting at the top. I still think it's a talented D, like top 10. They need better coaching, a Safety, and continued improvement from Walker and Wyatt (although Walker has looked very good this year). And every team can always use another good DT.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sounds like Odell Beckham wants to sign with a team now through the 2023 Season. Maybe this is just the veteran WR that the Packers go after. Use this remaining time to acclimate him to the team, Rodgers/Love and the offense.

Will he want to come to a 5-8 team? Probably not that excited about it for this season, but he might see it as a golden opportunity to reestablish his value, with a stud QB in 2023.

Obviously, it would come down to price and of course his desire to play for the Packers. Sign him and the Packers can stop worrying about WR for a bit and focus on a TE and other positions in the draft and Free agency.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Move the discussion to the FA one I started...none of our thoughts are Watson centered LOL

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like Odell Beckham wants to sign with a team now through the 2023 Season. Maybe this is just the veteran WR that the Packers go after. Use this remaining time to acclimate him to the team, Rodgers/Love and the offense.

Will he want to come to a 5-8 team? Probably not that excited about it for this season, but he might see it as a golden opportunity to reestablish his value, with a stud QB in 2023.

Obviously, it would come down to price and of course his desire to play for the Packers. Sign him and the Packers can stop worrying about WR for a bit and focus on a TE and other positions in the draft and Free agency.
I’ve kind of thought about that as well. It’s been reported he wants to join a “contender” and that’s probably not us at the moment, but perhaps could make a case that we’re trending that way for next season if things go right.

At the same time it’s sounding like there’s a concern in Dallas that he won’t be able to play this season anyways, so joining a contender for 2022/23 shouldn’t be much of a concern if that’s the case.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve kind of thought about that as well. It’s been reported he wants to join a “contender” and that’s probably not us at the moment, but perhaps could make a case that we’re trending that way for next season if things go right.

At the same time it’s sounding like there’s a concern in Dallas that he won’t be able to play this season anyways, so joining a contender for 2022/23 shouldn’t be much of a concern if that’s the case.
Jerry Jones could be creating a smokescreen to lower OBJ's demand & price? Sounds like a JJ thing to do, right? Don't doubt that the twice-ACL-repaired knee isn't fully healed less than 10 months later...but OBJ might be ready for a playoff push in a month & he'll know better which teams might meet in February.?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
OBJ is the perfect candidate for a pure incentive based contract. If he doesn't return to form or blows another knee, no hardship on team. If he plays lights out in 2023 and hits incentives, he gets paid like a top 15 receiver. Doing such could pave the way for him to get 1 more big 3-5 year contract, with more security through guaranteed money.

D

Deleted member 6794

As mentioned in the thread you opened I wasn't aware there aren't any top receivers available in free agency next year. I agree none of them is a significant upgrade over Lazard.

expensive veteran??? Why balloon the cap even farther? If the goal is to have a veteran in the WR room to help coach-up the young guys just throw a 1yr/$1.5Mil deal at Cobb to come back. Don't see much value in any of the other FA on that list above as helping much except for maybe 34 yr old Julio Jones.

I should have phrased it better. I want the Packers to add a #1 wide receiver next offseason, Cobb doesn't fit that bill.

Is Michael Mayer that much better than TJ Hockensen?

I believe Mayer is a better prospect than Hockenson. I would expect him to have an immediate impact with the Packers.

I don't think Lazard has shown himself to be more than $7-8 mil/year - but I felt the same way about MVS and he's doing very well in KC as far as I can see.

MVS is currently ranked tied for 55th in receptions and 80th in TDs among all receivers. He hasn't performed up to his contract despite playing with an elite QB.

The other need is for a S, assuming they keep Amos and dump Savage.

For the umpteenth time, the Packers exercised the fifth year option on Savage, fully guaranteeing them paying him $8 million next season. He's not going anywhere.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Mayer is a better prospect than Hockenson. I would expect him to have an immediate impact with the Packers.

x10! I would rather have Mayer than any FA TE that will be out there either. I'm 100% on the Michael Mayer plan for the draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
x10! I would rather have Mayer than any FA TE that will be out there either. I'm 100% on the Michael Mayer plan for the draft.
Then you better start pulling for the Packers to lose. ;)

Tonight's matchup between the Rams and the Raiders could help the Packers in the draft. Rams are so beat up that there is a chance Baker Mayfield plays, after just arriving on Tuesday and practicing for the 1st time with the team yesterday.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Tonight's matchup between the Rams and the Raiders could help the Packers in the draft. Rams are so beat up that there is a chance Baker Mayfield plays, after just arriving on Tuesday and practicing for the 1st time with the team yesterday.

(deleted) not Watson related or thread related - will share elsewhere.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TE's rarely go in the top ten. Mayer will likely go between 11 and 15 depending on team needs in that part of the draft. The question is whether there are going to be TE hungry teams competing with the Packers. Sure seems like whenever the Packers want a #1 WR, other WR hungry teams beat them to the punch. If Mayer is their top prospect, I hope he falls to the Packers.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Baker lead a 98 yrd drive to win the game

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Baker lead a 98 yrd drive to win the game

Not sure what the better outcome for the Packers was, as far as the draft is concerned. Mayfield might just help the Rams win some more games, including their next one. ;) Would be nice to pick ahead of both of those teams in the draft. Although, I believe the Rams first round pick goes to Detroit as a part of the Stafford trade.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It’s ok.
You’re apparently not the only one who forgot. The game Announcer said “this is Watson’s first rushing TD” after he scored and no one corrected him either.
I've noticed that much more this year. A lot of announcers make mistakes which either they know right after or the other guy knows; and nobody corrects it. It's like they are politicians and saying they made a mistake is really bad for them or the other guy. It's pitiful imo. I admit I also hate the 3rd and long thing. Why not say the yardage? Some think 3rd and 6 is long.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Watson's a really intriguing player to me. I'm not so sure he's the WR1 going forward and I think I'd still draft a WR early especially if we're transitioning to Love at QB. Really happy we have Watson though, it's exciting watching him with the ball almost every time he makes the catch something cool happens.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts