2022 Draft #34 Christian Watson

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He and Love are going to light it up in December! ;)
That's all good news and after the first two months, who would know the rookie was this good? Well, I didn't. Would be great to see a Love/Watson killer connection.

I'm not that worried about the drops either. As I recall, Adams dropped a lot of balls his first two years. Again, it's adjusting to the pace of the NFL where everything is FAST.
No question Watson is an elite athlete. Athletically, he's in the same league as Megatron and Moss. He just needs to stay healthy, otherwise he's more of a Joey Galloway receiver. Changes the game when healthy but often watching from the sidelines.
Great point, and let's face it, he is not off to a good start. Hurt in camp, various injuries in limited action, including back to back concussions. I do think over time these guys learn how to take a hit, and how to avoid a hit or change what would be a concussion to a shot to the shoulder.

But yeah, he has the physical tools to someday be talked about with Megatron or Moss. He has to perform AND stay healthy first. Baby steps, but he's doing great when he plays.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'd like to see him with the upper body strength that Megatron had. That guy could out wrestle anyone for a ball. He has always been one of my top 5 NFL WR's, in the way of "I wish we had a guy like X" Justin Jefferson is about to join that group.

Reaction score
No question Watson is an elite athlete. Athletically, he's in the same league as Megatron and Moss. He just needs to stay healthy, otherwise he's more of a Joey Galloway receiver. Changes the game when healthy but often watching from the sidelines.
Ok. While that is true. That’s pretty much anyone isn’t it? Too small a sample size to say he’s injury prone yet imo.
Oddly enough (I didn’t expect this part) Galloway actually played in 185 of 224 possible games or 13.2 games per 16 game season across 14 consecutive years. Then he was a NFL senior citizen (38-39 years old):whistling:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I'd like to see him with the upper body strength that Megatron had. That guy could out wrestle anyone for a ball. He has always been one of my top 5 NFL WR's, in the way of "I wish we had a guy like X" Justin Jefferson is about to join that group.
I was thinking that same thing. As Christian matures, I could see him in that 215-220 area without losing any noticeable speed. He’s already showing some signs of physically dominating his competition.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok. While that is true. That’s pretty much anyone isn’t it? Too small a sample size to say he’s injury prone yet imo.
Oddly enough (I didn’t expect this part) Galloway actually played in 185 of 224 possible games or 13.2 games per 16 game season across 14 consecutive years. Then he was a NFL senior citizen (38-39 years old):whistling:
I erred and was thinking Kenny Golladay instead I wrote down Joey Galloway. Both are really good receivers but Kenny Golladay couldn't stay healthy and moved on from the Lions and is now with the Giants. Golladay is tall like Watson, but not as fast.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I erred and was thinking Kenny Golladay instead I wrote down Joey Galloway. Both are really good receivers but Kenny Golladay couldn't stay healthy and moved on from the Lions and is now with the Giants. Golladay is tall like Watson, but not as fast.
...and a truly garbage blocker, not willing to even get in the way of a defender. Golladay gets hurt taking shots, not giving any.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Megatron was a beast. He had the upper body of a TE and the speed and route running ability of a WR. Moss was tall and thin, but the dude had perfect timing and could catch any ball he could touch. Just amazing skill guys.

I always wonder what Megatron would have done if he were surrounded by better players. The Lions offense, even with Megatron and Stafford, scared no one.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I was thinking that same thing. As Christian matures, I could see him in that 215-220 area without losing any noticeable speed. He’s already showing some signs of physically dominating his competition.
Those are the key words. Right now his speed is his biggest weapon, but as he matures and plays more, route running, high pointing, etc. will all improve, but you can't teach size or speed. I remember seeing DK Metcalf before the draft and seeing his size and upper body and hoping he became a Packer. He is one player a lot of teams are kicking themselves for passing on.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those are the key words. Right now his speed is his biggest weapon, but as he matures and plays more, route running, high pointing, etc. will all improve, but you can't teach size or speed. I remember seeing DK Metcalf before the draft and seeing his size and upper body and hoping he became a Packer. He is one player a lot of teams are kicking themselves for passing on.

Wow, Metcalf is from the same mold as Megatron. Did the Packers pass on him?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, Metcalf is from the same mold as Megatron. Did the Packers pass on him?
Metcalf went 64th pick in the 2019 draft.

Green Bay Packers 2019 draft
  • Rashan Gary, OLB, Michigan (1st round, 12th overall)
  • Darnell Savage, FS, Maryland (1st round, 21st overall)
  • Elgton Jenkins, OL, Mississippi State (2nd round, 44th overall)
  • Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M (3rd round, 75th overall)

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Metcalf went 64th pick in the 2019 draft.

Green Bay Packers 2019 draft
  • Rashan Gary, OLB, Michigan (1st round, 12th overall)
  • Darnell Savage, FS, Maryland (1st round, 21st overall)
  • Elgton Jenkins, OL, Mississippi State (2nd round, 44th overall)
  • Jace Sternberger, TE, Texas A&M (3rd round, 75th overall)
OK so they coulda had Jenkins instead of Savage, a bust. But that would have been a huge reach so can't blame Gluten. Sternberger was another bust. So the first 4 picks were 50/50. Gary and Jenkins have All Pro talent. Gary has a road to recovery from the ACL tear. I think Jenkins will be fine next year as he recovers from the same injury.

Thanks Pkrjones.

Reaction score

After seeing how fast Doubs caught on? If we go grab us 1 more WR inside the top 40+- overall area?
I could see us regaining our flash. If Cobb would stay on for 1 more reasonable contract for insurance we’d be fine without overpaying Lazard.
Then go after a Redzone weapon Scoop someone like this guy in the draft

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After seeing how fast Doubs caught on? If we go grab us 1 more WR inside the top 40+- overall area?
I could see us regaining our flash. If Cobb would stay on for 1 more reasonable contract for insurance we’d be fine without overpaying Lazard.

I'd rather they use the first round pick on a TE or S.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would prefer the Packers to add a veteran receiver to the group of youngsters currently on the roster and use the draft to address the tight end position.

Reaction score
I would prefer the Packers to add a veteran receiver to the group of youngsters currently on the roster and use the draft to address the tight end position.
Yeah. We could do that as long as the contract was reasonable.

I personally like to overlap that position by a draft season to keep the shelf stocked. It keeps the WR position overlapping drafts (contracts) so we don’t run into the scenario we eventually had with Moore, MVS, EQ.

While Edge or Safety or TE is another area I’d explore. The WR position $$ Has changed. That’s paramount in the fiscal sense of roster building, as we can all see what a good Rookie contract saves you in contract $ over a seasoned veteran.

If we work this draft correctly? We could have a later teens overall draft selection and 3 more before #75 overall by moving around the board slightly again. Including two more top #50 area picks. That’s also a good area to snag a WR.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

If we want to get even more excited about this kid, I've read several articles now that compare him to Randy Moss if he hits his peak. I don't know about you, but that has me pretty excited for his potential.

How dare you mention Randy Moss on this forum ? Wash your mouth out !

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I personally like to overlap that position by a draft season to keep the shelf stocked. It keeps the WR position overlapping drafts (contracts) so we don’t run into the scenario we eventually had with Moore, MVS, EQ.

While Edge or Safety or TE is another area I’d explore. The WR position $$ Has changed. That’s paramount in the fiscal sense of roster building, as we can all see what a good Rookie contract saves you in contract $ over a seasoned veteran.

If we work this draft correctly? We could have a later teens overall draft selection and 3 more before #75 overall by moving around the board slightly again. Including two more top #50 area picks. That’s also a good area to snag a WR.
Hey OldSchool, do you think we’ll be drafting in the late teens? I’m hoping they get a top 10 pick and take the ND TE or a highly rated OT. I’m not sure about trading back.

D

Deleted member 6794

I would be fine with signing a veteran receiver to a deal with a reasonable cap hit in the first two years of the contract.

The WR position $$ Has changed.

While there's some truth to it fans need to take a closer look at those deals to fairly evaluate them as well.

While the one Adams received from the Raiders was widely reported as a five-year, $140 million for an average of $28 million there's absolutely no way he will end up getting paid the last two years of it with non-guaranteed base salaries of $35.64 million in each of them.

Basically it's a three-year, $67.5 million contract he signed.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is betting that after three years the backlogged contract will give him negotiating leverage for a lucrative restructure if the Raiders still want him on the team. It's It's shrewd move IF he's still a good player at that time.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Adams is betting that after three years the backlogged contract will give him negotiating leverage for a lucrative restructure if the Raiders still want him on the team. It's It's shrewd move IF he's still a good player at that time.
Not sure I get why this is a shrewd move. Is it because he gets paid up front, and the cap hit is later?

D

Deleted member 6794

It's true the Raiders can restructure Adams' contract after the 2024 season to keep Adams around. My point was that there's no way it was pretty obvious he won't see the last two years of that deal at the time it was signed.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure I get why this is a shrewd move. Is it because he gets paid up front, and the cap hit is later?
Exactly. He gets paid up front and then the cap hit is so large it forces a potential lucrative restructure if he's still wanted. No way the Raiders rake the cap hit so they are forced to restructure and Adams has leverage at that point, but only if he's still really good. Adams is kind of betting on his ability to continue to play great into his 30's.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly. He gets paid up front and then the cap hit is so large it forces a potential lucrative restructure if he's still wanted. No way the Raiders rake the cap hit so they are forced to restructure and Adams has leverage at that point, but only if he's still really good. Adams is kind of betting on his ability to continue to play great into his 30's.
Got it, thanks. I think this is what the Packers did with Rodgers contract. They pay him a ton up front, then backloaded the cap hits. Well, at least the biggest cap hits.

Reaction score
#9 has his sights next on Eddie Lacy Rookie season.Eddie had 11TD’s all purpose total (OROY)
Christian needs just 3 TD’s in the last 4 contests to pass Lacy with 12 TD’s.

The one bright spot this season is we might just have the league’s Offensive ROY. If he breaks Lacy area but in less starts in his Rookie season I think it’s going to be pretty definitive we got ourselves a Stud WR along with the formal accolades.

I’m also noticing in rewatching the last game that #9’s impact is being felt past just his direct production. Several Plays we put #9 in motion and I noticed the entire Defensive rolled his way. Instead we’d hand it off to our RB and silently punish them opposite direction. It’s very apparent he has arrived as a factor to DC’s and he’s beginning to change the complexity of our Offense.

While using Moss in comparison. He had an incredible 17 TD’s in 11 Starts as a Rook (1.5 per contest)
Our guy has 9 in 7 contests (1.3 per contest). Watson is pacing a pretty respectable 14 TD’s

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts