2020 Watchlist

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the Packers truly are prepared/willing to use a high pick on one of the better WR's, Gute is going to want someone to play out as many scenarios as they can. As I said before, while I don't know what other teams are looking for exactly, I have to guess that Gute might be looking specifically for a fast slot receiver, which might increase his odds of a good one still being available in the second round and as late as the 3rd. Now if he wants to follow his pattern of a big tall receiver, with some top end speed, I think as you pointed out earlier, we might see him target Mims as his big, fast slot WR.

I think Mims profiles best on the outside.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more Jeremy Chinn makes a lot of sense at #30.

If he played at LSU, for example, is he going ahead of Queen? He's every bit the athlete, better in coverage, better size. He's Isaiah Simmons lite. Makes perfect sense for Pettine.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm with @GleefulGary I don't see the Lazard and Van thing. Can you explain?
My bad, that's bad comparison on my end but a much better comparison than to Funchess.

I think Van Jeff is similar to Lazard, the fact that they both have similar arm length, quicker than fast (but fast enough), reliable hands, both long striders in open field. Van Jeff is a better route runner than Lazard. Bodytype wise Lazard is much taller but lean.

Claypool bodywise is similar to Funchess & but Funchess does not use his size and length to his advantage. Claypool is more physical, faster and straight up bullies CB - we can't say the same about Funchess. Per bodywise sure Lazard is almost physically (heightwise) similar to Claypool but I have yet to see Lazard Physically dominate a CB like Claypool, even in college. I think Lazard has that potential though.

For Lazard I see a long-lean, slippery WR that has the potential to use that physicality to his advantage. Im actually more excited for Lazard (vs EQ) than whoever WR we're going to draft. Lazard has eerily physical measurement, testing, and play style to Marques Colston.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If he played at LSU, for example, is he going ahead of Queen? He's every bit the athlete, better in coverage, better size. He's Isaiah Simmons lite. Makes perfect sense for Pettine.
Jeremy "Jet Iron" Chinn - If he was playing for LSU or Bama with those testing numbers he's definitely going round 2. Thats why I say pump the breaks on Queen.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

^Continuing with that, I REALLY like Garrett Marino of UAB. His first step is scary.... He really deserves to be taken 2nd-3rd round but with UAB not a powerhouse.. He'd fall anywhere to 5th-7th
I rewatched the East vs West Shrine Bowl... he was first off the ball and seems to be in the backfield.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Trivia Question:

The current Packer roster has only 2 players on offense that were first round picks. Can you name the other one besides Rodgers? No cheating!

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^Continuing with that, I REALLY like Garrett Marino of UAB. His first step is scary.... He really deserves to be taken 2nd-3rd round but with UAB not a powerhouse.. He'd fall anywhere to 5th-7th
I rewatched the East vs West Shrine Bowl... he was first off the ball and seems to be in the backfield.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Marino is a head case. Pretty familiar with players from one of his college stops. Also quite a bit older, I bet he's 24-25.

I wouldn't go near him.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My bad, that's bad comparison on my end but a much better comparison than to Funchess.

I think Van Jeff is similar to Lazard, the fact that they both have similar arm length, quicker than fast (but fast enough), reliable hands, both long striders in open field. Van Jeff is a better route runner than Lazard. Bodytype wise Lazard is much taller but lean.

Claypool bodywise is similar to Funchess & but Funchess does not use his size and length to his advantage. Claypool is more physical, faster and straight up bullies CB - we can't say the same about Funchess. Per bodywise sure Lazard is almost physically (heightwise) similar to Claypool but I have yet to see Lazard Physically dominate a CB like Claypool, even in college. I think Lazard has that potential though.

For Lazard I see a long-lean, slippery WR that has the potential to use that physicality to his advantage. Im actually more excited for Lazard (vs EQ) than whoever WR we're going to draft. Lazard has eerily physical measurement, testing, and play style to Marques Colston.

I think the "issue" with Lazard is as 4-Star Recruit in HS and the No. 1 Overall Recruit in his home state of Iowa he was just always so much better than his competition. Going to play for then lowly Iowa State didn't help either. Had he accepted his offers to either Notre Dame(Will Fuller, Myles Boykin, CJ Prosise, Equanimeous St. Brown, Chase Claypool, Cole Kmet, Alize Mack) or Stanford(Ty Montgomery, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Dalton Schultz, Colby Parkinson, Kaden Smith) I'm willing to bet he'd be a more nuanced WR. He'd probably not even be on the Packers roster as he'd probably been drafted. (Although I'd have loved his selection over J'Mon Moore).

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Mims profiles best on the outside.
He does. It would also be nice to have a Randall Cobb type who can disrupt from the middle. And yeah, maybe a guy like that is available in the 3rd round or 4th round. I admit, I’ve done no research outside the top WR names, and that has been limited. For what it’s worth, I like Tee Higgins out of Clemson. He’s a perimeter guy with good height, reach, and soft hands.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the "issue" with Lazard is as 4-Star Recruit in HS and the No. 1 Overall Recruit in his home state of Iowa he was just always so much better than his competition. Going to play for then lowly Iowa State didn't help either. Had he accepted his offers to either Notre Dame(Will Fuller, Myles Boykin, CJ Prosise, Equanimeous St. Brown, Chase Claypool, Cole Kmet, Alize Mack) or Stanford(Ty Montgomery, JJ Arcega-Whiteside, Dalton Schultz, Colby Parkinson, Kaden Smith) I'm willing to bet he'd be a more nuanced WR. He'd probably not even be on the Packers roster as he'd probably been drafted. (Although I'd have loved his selection over J'Mon Moore).
Yeah J’Mon was a bust wasn’t he? As for Lazard, it’s amazing, given the lack of real college competition (as you point out), that he’s done as well as he has.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Lazard could probably use a few lbs of muscle. That’s about it.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I've seen players come out of high profile colleges with hardly any polish, and I've seen players come out of small schools with a lot. Even some of your examples aren't nuanced receivers. School size has little to do with it. Cooper Kupp came into the league as an elite route runner, went to Eastern Washington.

OP
OP
Favre>Rodgers259

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen players come out of high profile colleges with hardly any polish, and I've seen players come out of small schools with a lot. Even some of your examples aren't nuanced receivers. School size has little to do with it. Cooper Kupp came into the league as an elite route runner, went to Eastern Washington.

You are correct. I say all that to say that competition normally breeds a better player. Lazard was pretty much the No. 1 WR as soon as he stepped on campus. Hakeem Butler didn't get on to the field until his senior season. Without another guy pushing you to be better every day in practice it could have stunted his development even with adequate coaching.

Then Lazard hit the NFL, and he went from possibly the best guy on the field to barely being good enough to see it. Now this is only speculation on my part, but perhaps this year with more competition to come from not only Free Agency and the Draft we'll see a part of his game even he didn't know he had. Granted, I'll also wager he had better position coach in Keenan McCardell with the Jags than he'll ever have in Alvis Whitted and Jason Vrable. Time will tell.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trivia Question:

The current Packer roster has only 2 players on offense that were first round picks. Can you name the other one besides Rodgers? No cheating!

It's gotta be Lewis or Funchess...without looking those two popped in my head.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, after Bulaga left and Lewis was resigned, Rodgers and Mercedes are the only other offensive player that were first round picks.

On defense we still have: Savage, Gary, Alexander and Clark.

Just looked it up, I really had thought Funchess was, but nope. Rd. 2 Pick #9

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Yup, after Bulaga left and Lewis was resigned, Rodgers and Mercedes are the only other offensive player that were first round picks.

On defense we still have: Savage, Gary, Alexander and Clark.

TT went on a pretty lousy streak there for a while where the Packers either drafted a player in the 1st who never saw an extension, or didn't make a pick in the 1st round: 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2017.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
TT went on a pretty lousy streak there for a while where the Packers either drafted a player in the 1st who never saw an extension, or didn't make a pick in the 1st round: 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2017.

Not just a lousy streak, but one mainly spent on Defensive players. It explains why we are still trying to improve the defense and the offense is on fumes.

Had Rogers not fallen to TT in his first draft, I really wonder what his legacy would look like or even how long he would have been in Green Bay. Kudos to TT for picking Rodgers, but Kudos to Rodgers for probably extending TT's career beyond what it might have been.

I might take the time today to make a list, but I think the list of "TT drafted Players" still on the current roster is quickly diminishing.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, he mostly built the Seahawks that went to the Super Bowl, then the Packers twice with teams that were super bowl contenders. I tend to lean towards he was really pretty good and had a bad stretch.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not just a lousy streak, but one mainly spent on Defensive players. It explains why we are still trying to improve the defense and the offense is on fumes.

Had Rogers not fallen to TT in his first draft, I really wonder what his legacy would look like or even how long he would have been in Green Bay. Kudos to TT for picking Rodgers, but Kudos to Rodgers for probably extending TT's career beyond what it might have been.

I might take the time today to make a list, but I think the list of "TT drafted Players" still on the current roster is quickly diminishing.

Any GM who fails to find a QB is going to have a poor legacy. So it's true that finding Rodgers made TT's career a success, but that's also a truism of NFL GM's, generally.

Thompson was one of the best GM's in the league for a long time. While it's fair to criticize his unwillingness to use free agency more effectively, it's also pretty amazing what he was able to accomplish without it.

It's unfortunate that no one in the organization stepped in sooner when he quite clearly began slipping. He was left in the position beyond what he ought to have been and the roster has paid and is paying the price for a couple bad drafts in his home stretch.

Here's the list:
  • Aaron Rodgers
  • Mason Crosby
  • David Bakhtiari
  • Davante Adams
  • Corey Linsley
  • Kenny Clark
  • Dean Lowry
  • Kevin King
  • Montravius Adams
  • Jamaal Williams
  • Aaron Jones

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Never.

I already have my 2021 Watch list: Trevor Lawrence.

For 2020, I would put Badger RB Jonathan Taylor near the top of the list. He faces the challenge of running behind a relatively new OL, as well as taking hand offs from a less familiar QB, but I think he will be up to the task. As long as he reduces fumbles and has a similar year to his first 2, look for him to be in the conversation for Round 1 of the 2020 Draft.

2017: 299 carries, 1977 yds., 6.6/carry 13 TD's 6 fumbles
2018: 307 carries, 2194 yds., 7.1 ave. 16 TD's 4 fumbles

I'm fully prepared for being called a Badger Homer, as well as people mentioning Ron Dayne and Monty Ball. :D
I don’t think considering Taylor as a first round pick makes you a Badger Homer. (Now if it were Cephus, well then you’re all in).

Bigger question is do the Packers need to spend a first round pick on him? I ask that only because good RBs are almost always available later, and we’ve still got Jones. Now if we get to #30 and Taylor is the BPA, then yeah, take him. But while every GM will say they draft the BPA, that rarely happens. It’s almost always for need.

And while RB could be a need for GB come 2021, there are bigger needs in the 2020 draft - notably WR, OT, and ILB. Actually, considering the dearth of ILB talent outside Simmons, Murray, and Queen, that third need should be DL. All that said, I’d probably take Baun if he was there at #30. Talk about a Badger Homer!