2020 Packers first round pick: Jordan Love, QB

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This happens every year, there are still a ton of names guys have been talking about for weeks about being first rounders, still available heading into the 2nd, but if we pick them in the 2nd or later, they'll still be mad we picked Love in the first.

QB surprised me, but there is plenty of time and picks left to really improve this team.

D

Deleted member 6794

This happens every year, there are still a ton of names guys have been talking about for weeks about being first rounders, still available heading into the 2nd, but if we pick them in the 2nd or later, they'll still be mad we picked Love in the first.

QB surprised me, but there is plenty of time and picks left to really improve this team.

While you're definitely right about that there's no doubt the first rounder is the most valuable pick and the best chance to improve the team.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

Unfortunately a golden opportunity got wasted last night.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is true. Of course it's not all on him, but no quarterback at age 36 is quite as good as they were in their prime. That being said, it doesn't mean he still isn't a damn fine quarterback, and the focus shouldn't be on drafting a project, and using additional draft capital to do it. The focus should be on trying to win a Super Bowl. This doesn't nothing for the team's ability to win in the next three years.

And this is nothing like 2005. Nothing at all. You aren't insinuating that. But many are. It's just not the same.
Absolutely Rodgers is still a good QB. But he is no longer Unbelievable. Time has not been kind.

It is not like 2005. Favre was constantly threatening to retire and it was a more dire need. And AR was the top rated QB in the draft. Love is a project with an incredible ceiling.

But here is my thinking:

MLF must think extremely highly of Love. And there is a lot to appreciate about Love. I really expected him to go later, but the premium on QBs is warranted based on the how important QBs are. You don't have to have a great one, but it sure make it a lot easier. I trust MLF to see how this pans out. Again, there are a lot of tools to work with and you have to love the kids attitude and style. My only complaint at this point is taking care of the ball. If we can drill it in to him, and prep him, for 2 years, we could be set for another 15 years at the most important position.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
MLF must think extremely highly of Love. And there is a lot to appreciate about Love. I really expected him to go later, but the premium on QBs is warranted based on the how important QBs are. You don't have to have a great one, but it sure make it a lot easier. I trust MLF to see how this pans out. Again, there are a lot of tools to work with and you have to love the kids attitude and style. My only complaint at this point is taking care of the ball. If we can drill it in to him, and prep him, for 2 years, we could be set for another 15 years at the most important position.
I'm in complete agreement that it has huge boom potential for the next decade plus. He has rare tools, there's no question. But I've also been a huge believer that this is a win now league. And the Packers aren't as far off as the result in the NFCCG would suggest.

Gutekunst has made a lot of moves that have put the Packers in a position to contend right now so I'm not here to be overly critical of him. But man, a investing a 1st and a 4th with the Packers as close as they are is tough to swallow right now.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you think the right one comes along, you have to pull the trigger. You can't worry about just the 'now', because there is a lot more 'later' ahead.

I would rather spend the premium pick now, than force the pick in a few years when AR retires. It would cost much more, and then require two years to really get up to speed. Then you don't know ow if there will be a quality player that fits just what you are looking for.

I bet Love checks all the boxes that MLF and Gute are looking for. I believe this ends up being a good pick. I don't think he will be as good as Rodgers, who I think at his prime was top 5 all time. But I think he can be an elite QB in this league.

D

Deleted member 6794

When you think the right one comes along, you have to pull the trigger. You can't worry about just the 'now', because there is a lot more 'later' ahead.

With Rodgers having repeatedly mentioned that he wants to play into his 40s I would have preferred to use the first round pick to improve the Packers chances of winning another Super Bowl with him though.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would rather spend the premium pick now, than force the pick in a few years when AR retires. It would cost much more, and then require two years to really get up to speed. Then you don't know ow if there will be a quality player that fits just what you are looking for.

I bet Love checks all the boxes that MLF and Gute are looking for. I believe this ends up being a good pick. I don't think he will be as good as Rodgers, who I think at his prime was top 5 all time. But I think he can be an elite QB in this league.

After a long night of collecting thoughts, this is where I'm at. I can be honest and say I didn't like the pick and first, and I still struggle with it.

However, if Gute and Co feel like Love can be a very good starter in the league, and they must, then the move is a no brainier. The instant gratification isn't here, but I do think it will be.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After a long night of collecting thoughts, this is where I'm at. I can be honest and say I didn't like the pick and first, and I still struggle with it.

However, if Gute and Co feel like Love can be a very good starter in the league, and they must, then the move is a no brainier. The instant gratification isn't here, but I do think it will be.
That's about where I am. I'm not a fan of the trade up. It's one thing if he falls to you, another to go get him. But if he really is going to be that good and they believe in him that much, then I also believe when you have the opportunity to get a QB you think is that guy, you get him. a 4th rounder isn't too much to make the move.

I also take solace in Jenkins being our 2nd rounder last year and he was phenomenal. and guys like Jones were found in the 5th and we could move up to the 2nd again and if we end up with a "adams" and Jenkins type 2nd round i'll **** my pants.

So many more opportunities to come, so i'm not going to feel too much one way or the other yet.

D

Deleted member 6794

I also take solace in Jenkins being our 2nd rounder last year and he was phenomenal. and guys like Jones were found in the 5th and we could move up to the 2nd again and if we end up with a "adams" and Jenkins type 2nd round i'll **** my pants.

The Packers have only two picks left before late in the fifth round. I highly doubt they will be able to significantly move up in the second round.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have only two picks left before late in the fifth round. I highly doubt they will be able to significantly move up in the second round.
oh, I thought we had a couple in the 4th, but truth be told, I'm not paying that much attention

D

Deleted member 6794

oh, I thought we had a couple in the 4th, but truth be told, I'm not paying that much attention

The Packers have a second (62nd overall), third (94th), fifth (175th), three sixth rounders (192nd, 208th, 209th) and two seventh rounders (236th, 242nd) left.

CanadaCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So here we find ourselves with a disgruntled QB with regressing skills, many holes in a roster in key positions, and a team in SF that will dominate for the next 2-3 years despite what we do.
This is a 10-6 or 9-7 team scratching in the NFCN....we are not going to compete with the big boys inside the Rodgers window....PERIOD
So....here is idea
Trade AR to SF.... they now can take a real run at KC now.....get Aiuk back in return
SF sends Garrapolo to NE who needs a WB and Belicheck likes
NE sends their 2nd rounder to GB to balance the trade
GB uses picks in 2nd round on WR and OT
GB signs Cam Newton at a much lower price to bridge Love
Packers win because they start reloading and remove the toxicity
SF gets a HOF to take a run now
NE wins with getting back A QB who they never should have lost

txj

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is COVID19 perhaps ******** up the brains of everybody on TV?

Since when is it a crime for an organization to plan for the future?

Last I checked, this is the first round of the draft; a draft deep in wide receivers and DL...

Perfectly happy to wait and see the other moves made from the 2nd round onwards, to get a total picture...

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
In 2018 the Kansas City Chiefs went to the AFC Championship with one of the worst defenses I have ever seen in my life (that says a lot being a Packer fan). They did not have a 2019 first round draft pick. They selected Mecole hardman in the 2nd round. They won a superbowl. The Packers can get Rodger weapons still. They are still alive and now they potentially have their QB of the future.

Mahomes sat behind the guy that was drafted before Rodgers for 1 year and became a superbowl MVP two years later. Imagine Love sitting behind a 2x league MVP and superbowl MVP for 3-4 years? Regardless of how good he ends up being, they will be able to get a second at a minimum for him. If he is good, they can get a HAUL for Rodgers. In 2023, they could get a late first round pick for Rodgers and only have 2.7 million in dead cap. If they trade him in 2022, they could likely get two firsts or a first and a second for him and have to pay him 17 million in dead cap.

The Patriots currently have no QB on their roster and are paying 13 million in dead cap to Tom Brady this year and only are 1.4 million over the cap currently.

This was the correct business decision for the Packers. As fans, it does not make the team better right now. But we all know how deep this WR/RB class is. The team is going to get us weapons.

H

HardRightEdge

True, but a win now mode is chartacterized by making moves for the upcoming season and not three years down the road.
Winding back the clock a year to the free agent haul, with Gutekunst saying , "“Obviously, this is Green Bay, Wisconsin; we’re in a win-now mode all the time", win-now "obviously" is subject to interpretation.

One evident interpretation is that if one believes he already has the pieces to win-now, or will have when the draft is concluded and perhaps a low cost vet or two are added in the post-draft cuts, then why not do both? Take a luxury pick in the first round and win anyway! What could possibly go wrong?

"Win" in win-now is also subject to interpretation. There's the all-in kind that often leads to failure and some combination of a mountain of dead cap, rebuilding, people getting fired, or carrying on in the hope it can turn around with the same players. I'm not a fan of roster building that does not look past the current year.

Then there's the kind where win-now is thinking you are good enough to make the playoffs or even win the division and then just see what happens. A luxury pick in the first round can then be afforded.

I think we know where we're at now, that last perspective and not a middle option where you take the opportunity to stack a draft with a relatively cheap player for now and the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

There isn't a plausible scenario where Love will take the field in the next 3 years. Even if he does get thrown in as an injury replacement, consider the work of low first round QBs, or even the high picks, in their first seasons taking the reins. It ain't pretty.

And if he is still around when the time comes to hand him the reins there is no guarantee he'll be any d*mn good. Mike McCarthy, to paraphrase: "In Kizer we've acquired a first round talent."

Is Covid19 ******** up brains to the extent that they think the Packers have automatically struck lightning in a bottle for the 3rd. consecutive QB generation? The odds are not good. It would largely be a matter of luck.

H

HardRightEdge

Mahomes sat behind the guy that was drafted before Rodgers for 1 year and became a superbowl MVP two years later. Imagine Love sitting behind a 2x league MVP and superbowl MVP for 3-4 years?
So, you want to compare Love to Mahomes? How would you assess the probability that materializes? Quite low, I would say. Mahomes is one of fastest processors you'll ever see, in what he says and what he does. You have squint through rose colored glasses to see that in Love. Mahomes was and is a true natural.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Last I checked, this is the first round of the draft; a draft deep in wide receivers and DL...

Perfectly happy to wait and see the other moves made from the 2nd round onwards, to get a total picture...
Why didn't Tampa Bay use their first on a QB? Brady was much worse last year and has a shorter shelf life. If you get a HOF player, you give them what they need and every opportunity to succeed. The last regime did not, and the new regime seemed like they really don't care to try. We have a SB window which just closed, IMO. SF just got more talented, we did not. It especially makes no sense after the activity we did in FA last year. It makes more sense to blow up the roster at this point with these geniuses running the show.

H

HardRightEdge

Gute has now put Aaron Rodgers on the clock.

And Jordan Love is going to learn what social distancing really is.
I seriously doubt Aaron Rodgers perceives Jordan Love as a threat. His contract, if nothing else, says so. Consider the thinking behind the recent conversion of a large chunk of Rodgers roster bonus into signing bonus, locking him in that much more with future year dead cap.

This is the pro game. There is no bottle feeding. Nowhere is that more the case than with Rodgers. If you don't keep up, that's on you. So, when and if that keeping up doesn't happen, the Rodgers haters will interpret that as they usually do.

If you don't like demanding and detailed, then I guess you'll just have to wait at least two years and most likely three to see if you get the change you want. It could be four years or five.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have a second (62nd overall), third (94th), fifth (175th), three sixth rounders (192nd, 208th, 209th) and two seventh rounders (236th, 242nd) left.

Oooo just think of all the holes we can patch with 5 picks in the 6th and 7th round! If they don't move most of those five picks to get back into the 4th or something, they honestly don't mean much. The history of good to great players coming out of the 6th and 7th round is not in our favor. And we don't have any money for free agents. We still need OL, DL, WR, and ILB help. The math is not adding up for me right now.