2020 MVP Race

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers is gonna have to put up at least 5-6 TDs this week against The Titans this week, as I feel the recency biased is gonna fall in favor to Mahomes.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
neck and neck. mahomes wasn't spectacular yesterday either. hope the mvp thing isn't a huge thing in rodgers head. being efficient and winning games has to be the focus.

Matt39

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, would be absolutely thrilled if Rodgers ends the season with 48TD's 4 ints, 120 rating and lost the MVP to Mahomes. It's still announced prior to the SB correct? Would be the ultimate chip on Aaron's shoulder to show-up the kid who stole his MVP on the ultimate platform.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, would be absolutely thrilled if Rodgers ends the season with 48TD's 4 ints, 120 rating and lost the MVP to Mahomes. It's still announced prior to the SB correct? Would be the ultimate chip on Aaron's shoulder to show-up the kid who stole his MVP on the ultimate platform.

They're both having great seasons, so Mahomes wouldn't be stealing anything if he won it. Rodgers doesn't do well having chips on his shoulder, as evidenced from his 0-3 record to SF in the playoffs.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're both having great seasons, so Mahomes wouldn't be stealing anything if he won it. Rodgers doesn't do well having chips on his shoulder, as evidenced from his 0-3 record to SF in the playoffs.

This makes no sense since the biggest chip he's carried is falling to the Packers in the draft and has turned that info the best QB career ever.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure that he has a chip on his shoulder in both situations, but there is only so much one player can do even if they feel slighted. You still need your teammates to play.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, if he had gone second sure. However having 20+ teams passing on you is probably more insulting to Rodgers than just one team passing on you.

A lot of people have said that the slide was not that surprising after he didn't go #1 given the QB needs vs other needs of the other teams. I also seem to recall, and I could be wrong on this, that Smith was considered by more people to be the better QB at the time. One has to wonder how things would have played out had the 49ers taken Rodgers. Would Smith had fallen to us and if so would we have taken him?

D

Deleted member 6794

I mean, if he had gone second sure. However having 20+ teams passing on you is probably more insulting to Rodgers than just one team passing on you.

Rodgers grew up a Niners fan close from San Francisco. I'm quite sure them passing on him hurt more than 20+ other teams doing the same.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers:

70.3% completions
4,059 yards
44 touchdowns
5 interceptions
8.1 yards/attempt
119.4 passer rating
83.9 QBR
12-3 team record (currently the 1 seed)

Patrick Mahomes:

66.3% completions
4,740 yards
38 touchdowns
6 interceptions
8.1 yards/attempt
108.2 passer rating
82.7 QBR
14-1 team record (clinched the 1 seed)

Aaron Rodgers is the league MVP. Mahomes might not even play this Sunday, and if the Packers win on Sunday and lock up the 1 seed, I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

Splitting hairs between 15-1 or 14-2 vs 13-3 is silly. And the only other statistical advantage is that Mahomes has more passing yards. Guess that should have made Dak Prescott the MVP last season if that were the case. It also would've gotten Brees a lot of league MVPs as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't think there is any question who the MVP is. Stats aside and pretty equal, in just looking at "how valuable to the team said player is", Rodgers is the clear winner. No doubt both Mahomes and Rodgers are very important to their team, but I'm going to take a wild stab at this and say that the Chiefs are maybe a 10-5 team with Mahomes, the Packers on the other hand would probably be 5-10 and that is being generous. Mahomes has so many more weapons on offense, as well as playing on a team with a much better defense.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Completion %: Rodgers
Yards: Mahomes
Touchdowns: Rodgers
TD %: Rodgers
Interceptions: Rodgers
INT %: Even
YPA: Even
QB Rating: Rodgers
QBR: Rodgers

Statistically, this isn't even a debate. The only edge Mahomes holds is in gross yardage. Rodgers is even or ahead in every other metric.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Completion %: Rodgers
Yards: Mahomes
Touchdowns: Rodgers
TD %: Rodgers
Interceptions: Rodgers
INT %: Even
YPA: Even
QB Rating: Rodgers
QBR: Rodgers

Statistically, this isn't even a debate. The only edge Mahomes holds is in gross yardage. Rodgers is even or ahead in every other metric.
Rodgers has one fewer than Mahomes in regards to INT.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
People talk about the supporting casts in GB and KC as though there's a gaping chasm between them, but Rodgers and Mahomes have a pretty comparable set-up in terms of advantages once you start breaking it down.

-In terms of offensive design and play calling, LaFleur/Hackett and Reid/Bienemy are on a similar level this year.

-Both of them have elite #1 wide receivers in Adams on the one hand and Hill on the other.

-Mahomes has a huge advantage at TE, where Kelce is arguably the best in the game. Tonyan has been a good and fun revelation, but he's obviously a sizeable step down.

-But Rodgers' backfield of Jones, Williams, and Dillon is a lot better than CEH and a broken down Lev Bell.

-Rodgers has the superior offensive line working for him, and a more effective running game.

-Many people would argue that the rest of the receiving corps is where Mahomes has the huge advantage, but I don't see it.

Here are Mahomes' next three wide receivers after Hill:

-Hardman: 60 targets, 39 receptions, 535 yards, 4 TD, 13.7 YPR, in 15 games
-Robinson: 52 targets, 39 receptions, 408 yards, 3 TD, 10.5 YPR, in15 games
-Watkins: 55 targets, 37 receptions, 421 yards, 2 TD, 11.4 YPR, in 10 games

And here are Rodgers':

-Valdes-Scantling: 60 targets, 31 receptions, 603 yards, 5 TD, 19.5 YPR, in 15 games
-Lazard: 42 targets, 31 receptions, 434 yards, 3 TD, 14.0 YPR, in 9 games
-St. Brown: 12 targets, 7 receptions, 117 yards, 1 TD, 16.7 YPR, in 11 games

So until you get to the 4th guy on the depth chart, there isn't much of a discernable difference. In fact, you could easily make the case that Rodgers' #2 and #3 wide receivers have been more effective than the #2 and 3 in Kansas City.

So on balance, I think the edge goes to Mahomes because of Kelce, but it's pretty close when you consider that Rodgers does have some advantages to "off-set" the gap at TE (RB/OL). Hardly a big difference.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Rodgers has one fewer than Mahomes in regards to INT.
Interception % is different than total number of interceptions. Mahomes has one more interception, but has attempted 86 more throws. So their percentages as nearly identical.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After Mahomey had kind of a down game yesterday and AR put up 4TDs I think Rodgers has it locked up unless he realllly ***** the bed against the Bears. Bet he wishes he didn't have that one bad and fairly meaningless int last night though.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Gary as one our biggest Rodgers critic, what are your thoughts regarding him overall?
i've only been critical of a couple of things and only over a couple of seasons. not sure what you mean by "overall." overall this season? his career? overall this season...as i've said before, this year has been a complete 180 in every regard for him. he's been fantastic, willing, and a model of leadership. he's saying and doing all the right things. he's been more honest and contrite this season than i can ever remember. he IS the MVP. that discussion is over. the national media has even given up the mahomes argument.
for his career? automatic, first second he's eligible, HOF'er says it all. the best to ever lace them up in pure football talent.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers should win MVP and I'm sure we can all agree it was Gute pushing Rodgers by drafting his replacement that inspired this level of play from Rodgers.

Members online