2020 MVP Race

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It has NEVER been much other than a RB or QB award...

I mean you have to go back to 1986 to see a non RB/QB which was Lawrence Taylor ROLB

82' - K Mark Moseley
71' - DT Alan Page

The only other positions is arguably just another RB, but is listed as FB and that is the 3 Jim Browns and one Jim Taylor
In the days of Brown and Taylor, the fullback was usually the featured RB who usually got more carries and yards than the halfback.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers will not win the MVP this year no matter what he does. They will give it to Russel Wilson or Patrick Mahomes. This is too political of a season. I will leave it at that.

Mahomes has a slight lead in the race, but unless he does something spectacular, Wilson should be behind in odds.

If we make it to Championship or SB, AR has equal odds to win this.

It's not that political.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The MVP vote is done after the regular season and before the playoffs. What the Packers do in the postseason has no impact on the vote.

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
this is what PFF had to say about Rodgers's game vs the Eagles last week.
Just thought I'd post it here.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Krabs

I take offense to that sir.
Reaction score
Mahomes has a slight lead in the race, but unless he does something spectacular, Wilson should be behind in odds.

It's not that political.

You're living in a fantasy world if you don't think politics come into play with things like this.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I'm really not sure how anyone can say Rodgers isn't the front runner thru 13 games.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Terry bradshaw mentioned derik henry
Even as good of a season as Henry is having, he doesn't have a shot in hell of winning MVP. His numbers don't even compare to the last few running backs that have won the award.

When you have two quarterbacks that are going to throw 40+ touchdowns and less than 10 interceptions with 12+ win records, a running back that doesn't run for 2,000 yards or score 20+ touchdowns isn't going to win the award.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Even as good of a season as Henry is having, he doesn't have a shot in hell of winning MVP. His numbers don't even compare to the last few running backs that have won the award.

When you have two quarterbacks that are going to throw 40+ touchdowns and less than 10 interceptions with 12+ win records, a running back that doesn't run for 2,000 yards or score 20+ touchdowns isn't going to win the award.
When he said it.. I thought...alzhemimers setting in?

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, if ya just look at the stats, the TD gap has Rodgers firmly in 1st place imo but it is close enough that one bad game by one guy and one great game by the other can either put a stranglehold on it for Rodgers or make it an incredibly close for Mahomes.

but regardless of what the op said, I will say it, it doesn’t matter if he wins an MVP but doesn’t hoist the Lombardi

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mahomes had 3 int today..

So now rodgers has him beat there too
The only argument, particularly KC fans have thrown against Rodgers regarding the MVP is Rodgers horrible performance against The Bucs, and that the Chiefs have a better record. The funny thing is that by saying that they buffer the argument as to why Rodgers should win it as this team is so reliant on him having a good game in order for us to win; meanwhile Mahomes can have a horrible to mediocre game back to back (Denver and Miami) and his team can still win. Rodgers is by far more valuable to his team.

Edit:

Consider another thing in regards to Rodgers being more valuable to his team. While it's true The Packers have a good oline, Adams, and Jones, bare in mind Rodgers has had to play games without those key pieces and STILL found a way to win! That just comes to show how reliant we are in regards to Rodgers. Everything can fall apart and yet the only consistent thing we had was Rodgers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Mahomes had 3 int today..

So now rodgers has him beat there too
The biggest advantage Mahomes has is in passing yards. But passing yards has never been a true indicator of who will win the MVP. Hell, Brees has led the league in passing yards 7 times and has never won the MVP.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Passing yards is the only statistical advantage of any importance that Mahomes possesses right now. Rodgers leads the league in QBR rating, passer rating, least INTs, and most importantly TDs. He is 4th in completion % and 3rd in yards. The only stat where he lags behind is rushing yards, which is not typically a QB stat, but is an important part of today's game.

I put together a chart that pretty clearly shows that Rodgers is the statistical frontrunner. Of course, the other argument is the namesake of the award - is he the most valuable player.

* All data came from ESPN's stat page
** For the sacks and INTs, I reviewed the lists and only counted QBs that had started 12 or 13 games. Therefore the Jalen Hurts and even Drew Brees of the world were not considered in who has been sacked the least or thrown the least number of INTs.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Passing yards is the only statistical advantage of any importance that Mahomes possesses right now. Rodgers leads the league in QBR rating, passer rating, least INTs, and most importantly TDs. He is 4th in completion % and 3rd in yards. The only stat where he lags behind is rushing yards, which is not typically a QB stat, but is an important part of today's game.

I put together a chart that pretty clearly shows that Rodgers is the statistical frontrunner. Of course, the other argument is the namesake of the award - is he the most valuable player.

** For the sacks and INTs, I reviewed the lists and only counted QBs that had started 12 or 13 games. Therefore the Jalen Hurts and even Drew Brees of the world were not considered in who has been sacked the least or thrown the least number of INTs.
And honestly Mahomes only has Rodgers beat in yardage b/c he threw the ball far more times than Rodgers.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

Nice work.

It's interesting how all of the headlines Monday were "has Rodgers closed the gap on Mahomes" when the headline should have been "Rodgers passes Mahomes".

In my opinion, he was already ahead. But the biggest point that many were clinging to was the TD to INT ratio even though Rodgers had more TDs. Now Rodgers has both. The better ratio, and the most TDs.

There's some that will still blindly vote for Mahomes, I'm sure. That's why I think Rodgers wants to try to get to 50 TD passes if he can. At that point, I'm not sure how anyone could deny him.

Barring something miraculous, Mahomes doesn't have a realistic shot at 50. Rodgers just needs at least three games of 3, 4, 4. Maybe he'll sling 5 of them against the Panthers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have said if Rodgers wins another MVP or Super Bowl - his thank you's better include MLF. The man's system has played to Rodgers strengths so well it is kinda insane.

With a 28.2 percent play-action rate, he ranks ninth in the NFL. Last season, he utilized play-action at the 16th-highest rate (24 percent) after ranking no higher than 26th in the three seasons prior. So, obviously LaFleur's architecture is taking. But at the same time, Rodgers' output has been ridiculous, which is to the quarterback's credit, as well. Rodgers is completing 71.9 percent of his play-action passes, with a whopping 134.6 passer rating and a sparkling 16:0 touchdown-to-interception ratio. And by the way, those 16 play-action touchdown passes are already the most by any player in a season since Next Gen Stats began tracking this in 2016.

And because it's related and matters, Davante Adams has lined up in the slot more this season (24.5 percent of snaps) than in any of the four prior campaigns. The result? A prolific catch rate of 82.6 percent, with 38 grabs for 365 yards and an NFL-best seven touchdowns from the slot.

So, maybe the math here is ... LaFleur's architecture + elite Rodgers + elite Adams = first-round bye.

full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-playoff-picture-packers-or-saints-in-race-for-nfc-s-no-1-seed

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I have said if Rodgers wins another MVP or Super Bowl - his thank you's better include MLF. The man's system has played to Rodgers strengths so well it is kinda insane.

full article: https://www.nfl.com/news/2020-nfl-playoff-picture-packers-or-saints-in-race-for-nfc-s-no-1-seed
Matt LaFleur deserves immense credit for the resurgence of Aaron Rodgers. This collection of skill level players would be a disaster in Mike McCarthy's system. Like I've mentioned, this is the perfect storm of MLF's schematic brilliance and AR's all time elite talent and overall football intelligence and experience.

Reminds me of Brady when he had the system in New England. Rarely did he have the best weapons in the league, but he had an insanely dominant force in Gronk, and other guys who played their role within the offense.

There are obvious differences in the New England system and LaFleur's system, but we're starting to see some similarities. A dominant pass catcher, heavy emphasis on the running game and the action off of it.

Like I've mentioned elsewhere, MLF and AR (at least so far) seem to be a perfect pair. This will be proven over more time though. Have to be consistent with roster turnover and so forth to know for sure.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest advantage Mahomes has is in passing yards. But passing yards has never been a true indicator of who will win the MVP.

OR

The biggest advantage Mahomes has is that he's popular, and being the NFL's poster boy is the true indicator of who will win the MVP.

Rodgers is also a popular star, to be sure, but I think image and the feelings of voters are as important as stat lines, and the NFL is desperately seeking a younger audience.

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's some gloom: Rodgers was not very good in prime time yesterday while Mahomes did well against NO. Mahomes is the leading candidate for MVP.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's some gloom: Rodgers was not very good in prime time yesterday while Mahomes did well against NO. Mahomes is the leading candidate for MVP.
Last week mahomes tossed 3 int to the dolphins
Cant just base this on one game

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cant just base this on one game

True, but I just don't believe the MVP voting is about stats and value to a team alone. I believe that at least some voters are not as diligent and analytical as we might want them to be. If this is so, then recency bias comes into play; whichever QB plays better in these closing weeks gets more votes.

Members online

No members online now.