2020 MVP Race

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
And..... only 16 attempted field goals. Gotta be the lowest number in my lifetime.

Third down percentage must have been close to a team record.

Helps when you score a lot of touchdowns too :) The Packers led the NFL in TD's
  • Packers: 66
  • Titans: 62
  • Bills: 60
  • Buccaneers: 59
  • Saints: 59
  • Chiefs 57

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Helps when you score a lot of touchdowns too :) The Packers had 4 more TD's than the 2nd most team
Packers punted the fourth-fewest times at 46, but gave up the highest average return yards:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

* I couldn't get it to sort by number of punts, so sorted by fewest punting yards. Las Vegas should be second with 44 punts but Green Bay remains fourth.

Below are the average punt return yards. We were the worst. Where is Jarrett Bush when you need him? Is there a JB filter that we can throw over the Bat Signal?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers punted the fourth-fewest times at 46, but gave up the highest average return yards:

* I couldn't get it to sort by number of punts, so sorted by fewest punting yards. Las Vegas should be second with 44 punts but Green Bay remains fourth.

Below are the average punt return yards. We were the worst. Where is Jarrett Bush when you need him? Is there a JB filter that we can throw over the Bat Signal?

Doesn't surprise me at all on highest ave. return yards given up. I imagine we are last or close to on ave. return yards gained on both punts and kicks?

Our special teams suck and it should be a no brainer for Mennenga to be gone immediately following the final game of the year, even if it is the Super Bowl.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not the worst on kick return average - second worst! There's always a bright spot Shawn Mennenga:

Tied for 2nd worst on returning punts:

You can always find a stat to fit the narrative though. Bam! We were the absolute worst with the least-longest(???) punt return:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not the worst on kick return average - second worst! There's always a bright spot Shawn Mennenga:

I think if you go back to 2019, you will find very similar results. Ervin might have pulled us up a bit towards the end of the season, but at one point, I believe we had a negative total yards in punt returns.

Many of us thought Mennenga should have been fired at the end of last season, I don't care if the Packers win the SB, that should not save his job.

Tied for 2nd worst on returning punts:

You can always find a stat to fit the narrative though. Bam! We were the absolute worst with the least-longest(???) punt return:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Special teams have been atrocious. I think that I argued mid-season that there were no better alternatives mid-season. Certainly at this time of year, there are lots of coaches looking for jobs. We will get a new guy once our season ends in early February.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've already heard national media talking about it...you're correct it's a definite outside chance. But I think if he goes for 10 200 and 3 he'll garner more votes than you think. And what he's done on a per game basis is pretty much best all time.

Adams per game numbers would have resulted in 131 catches for 1,570 yards and 21 touchdowns. While those are elite numbers none of them would rank first in league history in any category.

I think the only thing that could happen is if Henry gets the nod for eclipsing the 2,000 figure rushing and winning second rushing title in a row in the process...earned a co-MVP.

I truly think a co-MVP type situation is the only way Rodgers doesn't win it clean or out right.

I highly doubt that Henry receives as many votes from the 50 sportwriters as Rodgers will.

Similarly if you take away Rodgers and replace with an average QB (Baker Mayfield [Cle] had the 15th most TDs), I think that the Packers offense would still be hovering around the top 10. They would still have three good RBs, Davante Adams, and Tonyan.

I dont believe the Packers offense would still be a top 10 unit with an average quarterback starting all season.

The Bills led both 3rd and 4th down efficiency. At 80% on fourth down, that is very impressive. Opponents should know that Buffalo is a four down offense!
https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team...miscellaneous/sort/fourthDownConvPct/dir/desc

It should be noted that the Bills had an average of 1.2 yards to go on the plays they actually tried to convert a fourth down.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Congratulations to our quarterback, Aaron Rodgers. Now a three time league MVP.

Hurts like hell to have not gotten to the Super Bowl and have a chance to win it, but it was truly a big time bounce back year for Rodgers and it signals that he most definitely has some tread left on the tires.

That should make any Packers fan (besides @gbgary ) happy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Trade him when he's on a high. We won't get much next season for him. ;)

gbgary actually advocated for the Packers to release Rodgers this offseason at some point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Just wished that they were in Tampa to play Mahomes and would have had a State Farm Bowl. But congrats to Aaron there!

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just wished that they were in Tampa to play Mahomes and would have had a State Farm Bowl. But congrats to Aaron there!
I will forever say that Tampa is holding our Lombardi. The fact we lost to them makes me sick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will forever say that Tampa is holding our Lombardi. The fact we lost to them makes me sick.

Hard not to admit that Tampa has a much better and more consistent Defense than the Packers and ultimately, that was the difference in both games. I think the 2 offenses are pretty equal, especially at the end of the year. Packers have the better QB and OL (when healthy), Tampa Bay has the better Receivers and I would call the RB's a push. Aaron Jones is better than anything TB has, but Fornette and R. Jones are a pretty decent 1-2 punch.

Interesting note, RB LeShean McCoy's got his 2nd straight Super Bowl ring, his first last year with the Chiefs, yet he has never played in a SB game.

Last edited:

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When you realize that the Pack just wasn't capable of winning, it's easier to accept.
That game we basically gave them due to bone headed mistakes and costly turnovers. Call it denial, call it being petty, call it sour grapes. I can and will acknowledge there is some validity in all of this. But I truly think we were the better team. It makes me sick to see that Tampa let alone Brady hoist up a Lombardi trophy that I felt should be ours. But that's why you play the game unfortunately. I'm not completely over that loss. That one stung.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That game we basically gave them due to bone headed mistakes and costly turnovers. Call it denial, call it being petty, call it sour grapes. I can and will acknowledge there is some validity in all of this. But I truly think we were the better team. It makes me sick to see that Tampa let alone Brady hoist up a Lombardi trophy that I felt should be ours. But that's why you play the game unfortunately. I'm not completely over that loss. That one stung.

I mean I get it, it is never easy to lose the NFCCG, but I felt after the opening 4 series of that game we were in trouble and it was going to take a near flawless performance to win it, we didn't get that. I have no problem admitting that Tamp Bay was the better team of the 2 in 2020. The game that will stick in my craw forever and so much more than this one, the loss VS Seattle in the NFCCG. That game we had won, were clearly the better team and BOOM....we just hand the game right over to them in a neatly bundled package of mistakes.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean I get it, it is never easy to lose the NFCCG, but I felt after the opening 4 series of that game we were in trouble and it was going to take a near flawless performance to win it, we didn't get that. I have no problem admitting that Tamp Bay was the better team of the 2 in 2020. The game that will stick in my craw forever and so much more than this one, the loss VS Seattle in the NFCCG. That game we had won, were clearly the better team and BOOM....we just hand the game right over to them in a neatly bundled package of mistakes.

The Seattle loss was worse in terms of the NFCCG itself. We were up 16-0 and collapsed. We never had the lead against Tampa.

But in terms of Super Bowl opportunities, I think Tampa was worse. Even if we had beaten Seattle, I have no confidence McCarthy could beat Belichick/Brady twice in one season. Seeing how poorly the Chiefs played in the SB, we really blew a golden opportunity this year. We probably wouldn't have gotten as much pressure as TB got on Mahomes, but still, even when they didn't pressure Mahomes, he was still off on some throws and wasn't on his A-game. This year's team had a much better chance of beating KC than the 2014 team had of beating NE.

Members online

Latest posts