2019 Draft Class Reflection and 2021 Predictions

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So a reflection on this class and discussion occurred here late last season: https://www.packerforum.com/threads/2019-draft-class-beginning-to-prove-it-in-2020.83791/

Now like I did for the 2020 class, going to take a stab at predicting the 2019's third NFL season coming up. Many argue that this season is when most franchise's crystalize their opinion of precisely what you have in a player - good or bad. Few players are still unknowns heading into their fourth seasons, with fewer yet making massive change of directions career wise at that point (happens just not a lot of shocking suprises).

Rashan Gary - Well he basically doubled his snap count to just shy of 45% this last year, played even higher in the playoffs and illustrated time and time again just why the team was so high on him and "wasted" a draft pick on him while we had both Smiths and Fackrell his rookie year. He's easily going to eclipse 50% of the snaps this season - as he is too good not to find ways to get him on the field for us. Last year had 5 sacks, 34 tackles, 5 TFLs and 11 QBHits...I believe he ups across the board by about 25-30% - I'll predict he sees around 55% of the snaps, 7.5 sacks, 44 tackles, 8 TFLs and 19 QBHits

Darnell Savage
- Dude has played over 80% or more of snaps in the two seasons he's been here. Honestly, no one could have expected quicker and as good of play as he has provided and he is still growing for sure. I see a lot more of the same consistent high level play from him with nearly mirrored stats except maybe a bump in INTs slightly and I think he slips another sack in there as well. Last year he had 75 Tackles, 4 INTs, 12 PDs, 1 Sack - I'll go 80 Tackles, 5 INTs, 15 PDs, 2 Sacks this season.

Elgton Jenkins
- There is nothing needed to be said. He is arguably top 5 OL under 26 years of age in the league IMO and will continue to be. He will start all 16 games barring injury, will do so for us at minimum two different spots and grade out high yet again.

Kingsley Keke - Here is the guy I have circled for the biggest increase in performance/snaps/development of this group for this upcoming season. That is saying something for a guy that already made a massive jump having never started a game first year, to 9 last year. 9% snaps first year to 40.6% second year. Doubled his tackles and play in many eyes. Put forth a 2020 campaign with 21 Tackles, 4 Sacks, 1 FF, 3 TFL and 8 QBHits - I believe Keke sees the field about 55% or more of the snaps, 33 Tackles, 5 Sacks, 5 TFL and 12 QBHits this year.

Ka'Dar Hollman
- Ka'Dar I think is a guy with a ton of promise, but it is going to be him or Josh Jackson I think this incredibly competitive DB room forces to try and find a home elsewhere. ATM, I don't think Hollman makes the season here. I do like his odds at resurrection elsewhere though.

Dexter Williams - Dexter to me is that type of RB that holds down the #4 spot his entire career when a team is healthy, and is called in and trusted with reps when injury hits. Patrick Taylor and Kylin Hill both have more to offer than Williams I believe for MLF's system, but I'm sure if we can stash him on PS we will given his familiarity.

Ty Summers - Summers is fighting to serve as the team's depth option and ST contributor to cling to a spot on the roster. If Campbell, Barnes and Martin all appear strong and healthy heading into the season - we could see it come down to ST play on who is kept in the LB room behind McDuffie who I think gets minimum one year here given draft...Burks and Summers battle for a spot is intriguing. In the end Summers I think stays and has experience called to play and "hold" average fort down for us a few times. Depth guy in 2021.

Your predictions and thoughts?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's quite a good class there. Great job by Gute and company!

The top 3 made this draft and Keke and Ka'dar still have the potential to make an impact.

Our DBs is a competitive room but it's competition at the NFL threshold. Only Jaire and Stokes are locks. The rest will be fighting it out. Ka'dar surprised me. He came here raw and took some steps. If he takes another step he will be a good player for us.

Keke I picked as our surprise player to emerge this year. I think he will make a real impact

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's quite a good class there. Great job by Gute and company!

The top 3 made this draft and Keke and Ka'dar still have the potential to make an impact.

Our DBs is a competitive room but it's competition at the NFL threshold. Only Jaire and Stokes are locks. The rest will be fighting it out. Ka'dar surprised me. He came here raw and took some steps. If he takes another step he will be a good player for us.

Keke I picked as our surprise player to emerge this year. I think he will make a real impact

King is a lock as well for 2021. Ka'dar is a guy I pray I'm wrong on having to go elsewhere, I like a lot of what I see, just isn't putting it together consistently enough yet at least.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You know honestly this class deserves a ton of kudos to Gute and Co....entering their 3rd seasons to have the entire class still here and viable options for a final cut spot is something you don't see usually with an entire draft class 3 seasons later.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So a reflection on this class and discussion occurred here late last season: https://www.packerforum.com/threads/2019-draft-class-beginning-to-prove-it-in-2020.83791/

Now like I did for the 2020 class, going to take a stab at predicting the 2019's third NFL season coming up. Many argue that this season is when most franchise's crystalize their opinion of precisely what you have in a player - good or bad. Few players are still unknowns heading into their fourth seasons, with fewer yet making massive change of directions career wise at that point (happens just not a lot of shocking suprises).

Rashan Gary - Well he basically doubled his snap count to just shy of 45% this last year, played even higher in the playoffs and illustrated time and time again just why the team was so high on him and "wasted" a draft pick on him while we had both Smiths and Fackrell his rookie year. He's easily going to eclipse 50% of the snaps this season - as he is too good not to find ways to get him on the field for us. Last year had 5 sacks, 34 tackles, 5 TFLs and 11 QBHits...I believe he ups across the board by about 25-30% - I'll predict he sees around 55% of the snaps, 7.5 sacks, 44 tackles, 8 TFLs and 19 QBHits

Darnell Savage
- Dude has played over 80% or more of snaps in the two seasons he's been here. Honestly, no one could have expected quicker and as good of play as he has provided and he is still growing for sure. I see a lot more of the same consistent high level play from him with nearly mirrored stats except maybe a bump in INTs slightly and I think he slips another sack in there as well. Last year he had 75 Tackles, 4 INTs, 12 PDs, 1 Sack - I'll go 80 Tackles, 5 INTs, 15 PDs, 2 Sacks this season.

Elgton Jenkins
- There is nothing needed to be said. He is arguably top 5 OL under 26 years of age in the league IMO and will continue to be. He will start all 16 games barring injury, will do so for us at minimum two different spots and grade out high yet again.

Kingsley Keke - Here is the guy I have circled for the biggest increase in performance/snaps/development of this group for this upcoming season. That is saying something for a guy that already made a massive jump having never started a game first year, to 9 last year. 9% snaps first year to 40.6% second year. Doubled his tackles and play in many eyes. Put forth a 2020 campaign with 21 Tackles, 4 Sacks, 1 FF, 3 TFL and 8 QBHits - I believe Keke sees the field about 55% or more of the snaps, 33 Tackles, 5 Sacks, 5 TFL and 12 QBHits this year.

Ka'Dar Hollman
- Ka'Dar I think is a guy with a ton of promise, but it is going to be him or Josh Jackson I think this incredibly competitive DB room forces to try and find a home elsewhere. ATM, I don't think Hollman makes the season here. I do like his odds at resurrection elsewhere though.

Dexter Williams - Dexter to me is that type of RB that holds down the #4 spot his entire career when a team is healthy, and is called in and trusted with reps when injury hits. Patrick Taylor and Kylin Hill both have more to offer than Williams I believe for MLF's system, but I'm sure if we can stash him on PS we will given his familiarity.

Ty Summers - Summers is fighting to serve as the team's depth option and ST contributor to cling to a spot on the roster. If Campbell, Barnes and Martin all appear strong and healthy heading into the season - we could see it come down to ST play on who is kept in the LB room behind McDuffie who I think gets minimum one year here given draft...Burks and Summers battle for a spot is intriguing. In the end Summers I think stays and has experience called to play and "hold" average fort down for us a few times. Depth guy in 2021.

I think if it comes down to Summers/Burks it's Summers. Younger guy, I think he translates as a better back up for Martin/Barnes/Campbell/Duffie whoever the starters are. Also Burks has played himself off the team. He was moved from ILB to OLB and still showed relatively nothing. I also think Summer can still come out of no where and be THE GUY on this defense...but if he's gonna he has to now.

Reaction score

Darnell Savage

Elgton Jenkins

Ka'Dar Hollman

Hollman kinda got buried on the depth chart. One thing that impressed me was at his prototypical CB size (6’X195). He ran a 4.38X40, which is basically Darnell Savage (4.36) speed. But what I read is that his long speed is exceptional. They did a factor of his mph between 20 and 40 yards and it was 23MPH, which is impressive. His big hold back was play diagnoses, but he’s getting into that neighborhood where you either rise or fall.
What’s not going for Kadar is there’s only so much room in that CB room. With us signing 2 more CB’s and story of Jean-Charles being a scout favorite on draft day it’s going to be an uphill battle.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Darnell Savage

Elgton Jenkins

Ka'Dar Hollman

Great job Ty.

Hollman will likely kick Jackson off the team. Jackson has too much time to put on the PS, and he's developed as far as he can. In an otherwise very solid backfield, Jackson just doesn't belong. His time in GB is over.

Seems there are a number of us who think Keke makes a big step up this year, and I agree. Same for Gary but he's at a higher talent level.

Agree with almost all you've written. I don't think Dexter makes the team. Maybe the PS and that will depend on how other backs perform in camp.

Again, great job.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think Dexter would make it last year, so if he makes it this year I'll be surprised again.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't think Dexter would make it last year, so if he makes it this year I'll be surprised again.
Yeah a marginal RB can't stay on the PS forever. Eventually they'll be replaced by a late pick or an UDFA. I don't see how Dexter stays this year.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dexter isn't making the final cuts, I do foresee him possibly seeing our PS one more season due to familiarity. I think the RB room question is do we hold 4?

Patrick Taylor is illustrating to many why I and many others were VERY HIGH on his chances last year if healthy being the Dexter for us behind Dillon. Taylor and Hill both I don't think could be kept on our PS and would be stolen away. If both show out in preseason games...keeping 4 is possible as we technically did with Ervin last year.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Gutekunst has really impressed me with his ability to draft. If only he hadn't of fell off the wagon the night of the 2020 draft. Beyond that, I'm digging what he's been doing as it relates to the draft.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts