San Francisco
Arizona

AWAY
New England
N.Y. Jets
Washington
L.A. Rams
Seattle

If the Patriots win the Super Bowl again I would bet dollars to donuts that Green Bay @ New England will be the Thursday Night NFL season opener.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Just to make this clear.

HOME
Buffalo
Miami
Atlanta
San Francisco
Arizona

AWAY
New England
N.Y. Jets
Washington
L.A. Rams
Seattle

If the Patriots win the Super Bowl again I would bet dollars to donuts that Green Bay @ New England will be the Thursday Night NFL season opener.
Not sure that I agree with that. I would think that the NFL would prefer that being a matchup at least mid way through the season where, theoretically, both teams would have enough games under their belt to really be playing well.

Patriots/Colts back in the day was never early in the season (Brady/Manning).

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most Packers/Patriots games seem to feature a backup QB. One year both Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers got hurt. Another season Tom Brady was on IR with torn knee ligaments. Then there was a year when Rodgers was out with a concussion.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most Packers/Patriots games seem to feature a backup QB. One year both Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers got hurt. Another season Tom Brady was on IR with torn knee ligaments. Then there was a year when Rodgers was out with a concussion.
Which is why making this game the opener would be the smart play if you're the NFL schedulers. Make sure of a Rodgers/Brady matchup.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not sure that I agree with that. I would think that the NFL would prefer that being a matchup at least mid way through the season where, theoretically, both teams would have enough games under their belt to really be playing well.

Patriots/Colts back in the day was never early in the season (Brady/Manning).
The Colts are an AFC team though. They were almost guaranteed to play each other every year because those two teams dominated their divisions, therefore there was no risk. And now that the NFL has seen how below average the Packers are outside of Rodgers, I don't think they'd want to risk a potential midseason matchup between a 8-1 team hosting a 5-4 team in a nationally televised game. Rodgers vs. Brady coming out of the gate will guarantee a ratings bonanza to kick off the year. Look at their other home game opponents. Who else would they want to schedule to open the season? An AFC East foe? Houston? Kansas City a second year in a row? The Colts? The only other viable choice would be Minnesota, but only if it's a Super Bowl rematch. And even then the NFL chose to schedule Kansas City over Atlanta this season.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/12/...ts-packers-steelers-jets-bills-dolphins-colts

Last edited:

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
The Colts are an AFC team though. They were almost guaranteed to play each other every year because those two teams dominated their divisions, therefore there was no risk. And now that the NFL has seen how below average the Packers are outside of Rodgers, I don't think they'd want to risk a potential midseason matchup between a 8-1 team hosting a 5-4 team in a nationally televised game. Rodgers vs. Brady coming out of the gate will guarantee a ratings bonanza to kick off the year. Look at their other home game opponents. Who else would they want to schedule to open the season? An AFC East foe? Houston? Kansas City a second year in a row? The Colts? The only other viable choice would be Minnesota, but only if it's a Super Bowl rematch. And even then the NFL chose to schedule Kansas City over Atlanta this season.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/12/...ts-packers-steelers-jets-bills-dolphins-colts
Can't argue with your logic. Personally, I would love it.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see the appeal in Rodgers vs. Brady, but doesn't the NFL usually like to put teams with winning records into these season openers? The Packers finished 7-9.
And someone here posted that ESPN called us "a team in decline".

Jed12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m almost 100% the opener won’t be against the Patriots.... would rather that optimism about the Rams in London :geek:

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why making this game the opener would be the smart play if you're the NFL schedulers. Make sure of a Rodgers/Brady matchup.

The 2008 game was in Week 2. I would not say it helps much to have an early-season trip to Foxborough.

Keep in mind New England does not always win the AFC Championship Game (thank you Denver Broncos) and has also lost two Super Bowls as the #1 seed. There is no reason to start dreaming about the regular season kicking off with Aaron Rodgers vs. Tom Brady if the Patriots don't win a sixth chmapionship.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2008 game was in Week 2. I would not say it helps much to have an early-season trip to Foxborough.

Keep in mind New England does not always win the AFC Championship Game (thank you Denver Broncos) and has also lost two Super Bowls as the #1 seed. There is no reason to start dreaming about the regular season kicking off with Aaron Rodgers vs. Tom Brady if the Patriots don't win a sixth chmapionship.
Oh, I know. This is all assuming the Patriots win it all again. Plus, we didn't play them in 2008 so I don't know what you're talking about there.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to make this clear.

HOME
Buffalo
Miami
Atlanta
San Francisco
Arizona

AWAY
New England
N.Y. Jets
Washington
L.A. Rams
Seattle

The Vikings are also on their home schedule. Don't count out KC either, there is a pretty good chance they'll play in the Divisional Round in 2 weeks.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Glad we missed getting a London game again. Eagles-Jags, Titans-Chargers, and Seahawks-Raiders look like they will be the games.

TouchdownPackers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right now I don't care who we play next season. Nobody gave the Rams a chance after they hired a 30-year old HC and misfit DC. It is safe to assume another team could have a similar turnaround, perhaps one on our schedule. Conversely, a Gaints-like fall can happen to a team we play against in 2018. As we are seeing in the playoffs, parity is getting higher outside of New England and Pittsburgh.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Would not be surprised to see this as a night game.
maybe but there are several, more higher toned, game possibilities than any of ours. GB vs min (or atl) is about the biggest home game they could put on...and would they really want it to be some game that the Packers would probably lose to put on display on such a special night? doubt it. i think the nfl will make a big deal about the league's 100th season before the Packers'. they don't want to wear out the 100th thing before they get their turn.

Last edited:

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can’t wait to go to the game @rams.

If there’s one thing I’m so happy about the rams coming to LA it’s that I can see more live packer games and not just when they come to SD

D

Deleted member 6794

GB vs min (or atl) is about the biggest home game they could put on...and would they really want it to be some game that the Packers would probably lose to put on display on such a special night? doubt it.

I doubt the Packers probably lose to the Vikings or Falcons at home.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You sure about the 3rd place schedule???

The difference between a third place schedule is a grand total of two games. This year, where the Pack has Atlanta and Washington on its schedule, the Vikings will have the Eagles and the Saints. Other than that, both Green Bay and Minnesota play the same teams.

Members online

Latest posts