2018 preseason game one predictions, expectations, analysis

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packer have one of the best offensive lines if the starters are healthy, especially in pass protection. The team needs more quality depth at edge rusher and possibly inside linebacker though.

I’m fascinated to see what McCray does as a full time guard. This organization’s knack for turning anything from a middle round pick to an undrafted acquisition into a quality starting offensive lineman is uncanny.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’m fascinated to see what McCray does as a full time guard. This organization’s knack for turning anything from a middle round pick to an undrafted acquisition into a quality starting offensive lineman is uncanny.

In my opinion James Campen definitely deserves credit for developing several late round picks and undrafted free agents into bona fide starters. McCray might end up being the next in line.

Unfortunately depth is a question mark on the offensive line with Spriggs and Murphy still struggling. According to reports from camp it seems Adam Pankey has made progress over last season, hopefully providing the team with a quality backup at several positions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In my opinion James Campen definitely deserves credit for developing several late round picks and undrafted free agents into bona fide starters. McCray might end up being the next in line.

Unfortunately depth is a question mark on the offensive line with Spriggs and Murphy still struggling. According to reports from camp it seems Adam Pankey has made progress over last season, hopefully providing the team with a quality backup at several positions.

Perhaps Pankey will bump Bell off the roster.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packer have one of the best offensive lines if the starters are healthy, especially in pass protection. The team needs more quality depth at edge rusher and possibly inside linebacker though.

Problem is we all know about Bulaga though, and while Bakhtiari returned to practice now, his being out period is concerning. So that "if the starters are healthy" line is a Big IF as far as I'm concerned. Keep the 2-QB roster so we can add depth at the OT position.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem is we all know about Bulaga though, and while Bakhtiari returned to practice now, his being out period is concerning. So that "if the starters are healthy" line is a Big IF as far as I'm concerned. Keep the 2-QB roster so we can add depth at the OT position.

How much does "depth" at OT really matter if that extra guy is basically just a turnstyle? Might make more sense to keep a scrambling QB as the third QB in that case.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How much does "depth" at OT really matter if that extra guy is basically just a turnstyle? Might make more sense to keep a scrambling QB as the third QB in that case.

Because a turnstile that gets beat 1 out of every 5 plays is still loads better then a turnstile that gets beat 4 out of every 5.

D

Deleted member 6794

Following your logic there's no reason to keep a backup quarterback at all as the Packers are screwed anyway if Rodgers has to miss significant time.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Following your logic there's no reason to keep a backup quarterback at all as the Packers are screwed anyway if Rodgers has to miss significant time.

Not really. Perhaps if the Packers instead had a competent backup rather than the "guys who have been in McCarthy's QB room for two years" that he's quite comfortable with then maybe Rodgers going down wouldn't be the end of the season. My point is that if the 3rd QB is a better player than the 5th OT, then keep the better player!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because a turnstile that gets beat 1 out of every 5 plays is still loads better then a turnstile that gets beat 4 out of every 5.

I'd rather keep the better player. If the 3rd QB is better than the 5th OT, keep the 3rd QB.

n4t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think there is a single team in the league with a good backup Tackle. I'm not going to wish for something that does not exist.

I'm with Captain on LB depth across the board. We are an injury or two away from major concern there, and unlike Tackle its a concern that can probably be addressed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Perhaps if the Packers instead had a competent backup rather than the "guys who have been in McCarthy's QB room for two years" that he's quite comfortable with then maybe Rodgers going down wouldn't be the end of the season. My point is that if the 3rd QB is a better player than the 5th OT, then keep the better player!

The Packers had to rely on Rodgers performing at an elite level to be considered a contender over the past few seasons. It's close to impossible to receive similar play out of a backup quarterback.

While I agree that it's smart to keep the best players on the roster there are some positions in need of more depth than others.

I don't think there is a single team in the league with a good backup Tackle. I'm not going to wish for something that does not exist.

I'm with Captain on LB depth across the board. We are an injury or two away from major concern there, and unlike Tackle its a concern that can probably be addressed.

It's unrealistic to expect having a backup tackle who is capable of performing at the same level as Bakhtiari or Bulaga. The Packers should be able to do better than the way Spriggs and Murphy have played in the past though.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

I’ve said the same thing for years. No team in the league can afford to pay 3 good experienced OT’s. The best you can hope for is that 3rd and 4th OT’s are serviceable. Any play above serviceable means your scouts and OL coach is desrving of a raise.

D

Deleted member 6794

I’ve said the same thing for years. No team in the league can afford to pay 3 good experienced OT’s. The best you can hope for is that 3rd and 4th OT’s are serviceable. Any play above serviceable means your scouts and OL coach is desrving of a raise.

It's true that it's close to impossible paying three veteran offensive tackles but that doesn't prevent a team from having a decent backup still on his rookie contract at the position. Unfortunately Spriggs hasn't worked out for the Packers so far.

Members online

Latest posts