2018 preseason game one predictions, expectations, analysis

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Try to keep in game commentary in the shoutbox.

Vs the Titans, what do you expect and what did you see?
Barring the usual no injuries hopes:
I want to see if the hype about all the WRs not named Cobb or Adams is warranted.
Does the defense still look confused and lost? Will they continue to give up 6 later in the drive after giving up a big play?
Can Kizer or Hundley look better than last season?
Which unsung roster hopeful will become a fan favorite and receive way too much positive pub.

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Here are the players who are not suiting up for the Packers
  • WR Trevor Davis
  • QB Aaron Rodgers
  • WR Adonis Jennings
  • WR Randall Cobb
  • CB Kevin King,
  • CB Jaire Alexander
  • RB Devante Mays
  • RB Aaron Jones
  • CB Tramon Williams
  • FB Joe Kerridge
  • LB Clay Matthews
  • LB Nick Perry
  • OG Lane Taylor
  • LT David Bakhtiari
  • RT Bryan Bulaga
  • DT Mike Daniels
  • TE Jimmy Graham
  • DT Muhammad Wilkerson

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
At halftime, Packers OL is getting beaten like a mule. Bell is really not good.
Hundley did not look bad but hasn't shined. The pick should go on Bell's stats. Kizer looked smarter and more comfortable in the pocket, when he had one. Packers running game looks OK. Since there aren't many RBs available, looks like they are working the pass game tonight. Defense line looks solid. Way more flags both ways than should be.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bell is not good at all. Kumerow has been mostly a ghost out there, dunno what I was expecting but the hype let me down a lil lol.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley was good, a bit more aggressive and quick than last season, I felt.

Quentin Rollins time is up.

We really need more depth on OLine.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting watching this wide receiver battle. Right now, I'm feeling pretty justified on my draft comments, but it all could change. I was scratching my head when we took Moore over EQSB, but I felt some relief when we selected MVS. Moore has all the body control you want in a receiver, he just has frustrating drops and that's exactly what the tape and notes said about him before the draft. I'm hoping he can turn the hands around because he was definitely in position to make some really great catches.

I'm also starting to believe I'm going to eat a lot of crow on the Burks pick. He's all over the field and looks to have way better instincts than I ever saw on tape.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It’s weird that Moore struggled with drops when everything I’ve read indicates that it’s been MVS who has had that issue in camp.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At halftime, Packers OL is getting beaten like a mule. Bell is really not good.
Hundley did not look bad but hasn't shined. The pick should go on Bell's stats. Kizer looked smarter and more comfortable in the pocket, when he had one. Packers running game looks OK. Since there aren't many RBs available, looks like they are working the pass game tonight. Defense line looks solid. Way more flags both ways than should be.

Even though Hundley made some plays, I just don't trust him. I liked the way Kizer kept looking to make something out of nothing. My impression of Hundley was that he was content to take what he was given and not think outside the box.

I thought Kumrow, St. Brown and Valdez-Scantling all showed promise.

I was not impressed with the defense in the 1st half but they are a work in progress and had some moments in the 2nd half.

When do they cut down to 75?

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was really disappointed that neither Davis nor Mays suited up when they "should" be clearly on the roster bubble.

Adams played one drive and showed that he's clearly the new No. 1. Had I been MM I probably would have held Cobb out so he doesn't get hurt so no qualms there. G-Mo looked liked a veteran out there, he's not giving anything to these rookies.

I know Jennings is still very new, but I felt the coaches could have sent him out for a few plays.

Amongst our drafted 3 WRs, Moore seems to be the odd man out. Until he proves otherwise, I'm still calling bust, I'll slot Kumerow over him all day. MVS and EQS seem to be exactly where I would expect them to be; HOWEVER I need to see AR throwing to them. AR should elevate their play, so whoever leaps off the page in Game 2, should be in that starting rotation.

Boyle is the shiny new toy, let's see if he can be consistent throughout the Preseason. Hundley and Kizer I think stalemated each other in regards to performance. I need more new film on all these guys before I could really say anything; but Boyle did look impressive on that bomb, and Kizer did try to extend plays.

Until I see otherwise, anyone not named Williams/Alexander/Jackson/King and plays CB are on the verge of being cut. House blowing that play to a guy who the Titans will probably cut put him in the hotseat moving forward. Pipkins and Hawkins looked just looked slow off the ball and always a step behind. Of all the guys behind the 8 ball, I think Brown looked like he could be the 5th guy.

Burks was active, but I really didn't see anyone from the front seven distinguish themselves.

The OL needs help, is Jahri Evans available? What about Richie Incognito?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We probably have enough depth, though you always want more/better depth.

Our 'starters' on the O-line were missing 3 starters. The only preferred starters in position were Linsley and McCray. Starting LT, LG, and RT out. Put them out there and the line looks fine.

The three backups that started might be enough to round out the roster for the regular season: 5 starters + 3 backups = our usual count.

The three best from Murphy, Spriggs, Bell, and Patrick will be fine. Not great, but adequate depth.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd still take Incognito all day and drop one of the aforementioned for depth. Or can any of them be relegated for the practice squad until they develop further?

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd still take Incognito all day and drop one of the aforementioned for depth. Or can any of them be relegated for the practice squad until they develop further?

The problem with that is there is a shortage of good, even passable linemen in the NFL.

I think it's safe to say that Murphy and Spriggs, for example, are better linemen than Newhouse. We hate Newhouse, remember?

Newhouse is still in the league. AFAIK, he's never been out of the league. Started 14 games last year for the Raiders.

We cut one of the younger kids, not even sure if they have eligibility left, and they will be re-signed. They will never sniff our practice squad, because someone else will take them. That's the state of good linemen in the NFL.

Other problems include:

1. How good of a pass blocker is Richie?

2. He's got baggage. Is he good enough to make it worth it?

3. He'd probably be a backup for us. Would he be happy being a backup?

4. He's a guard. We could better absorb a loss at guard than tackle. Patrick survived surprisingly okay last year, when we had our "all guard line" for that week.

Bridcarper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At work all night here in the UK. Just signed up for NFL Gamepass again. Should get to watch a bit of the game vs the Titans on my 'phone at break time. Optimism abounds for the new season. Go Pack.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I know people were annoyed that the Titans opened with a touchdown against the defense, but it's hard for me to get too upset when that drive hinged on a 3rd & 7 given up by a guy who won't even be on the roster in three weeks.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know people were annoyed that the Titans opened with a touchdown against the defense, but it's hard for me to get too upset when that drive hinged on a 3rd & 7 given up by a guy who won't even be on the roster in three weeks.

I think a lot of focus for many is just being put there because the change of DC was the biggest news this offseason.

For me going forward, ImI against having 3 QBs on this roster because we need extra space for extra OL right now. So any free agents out there to grab atm should be OLmen since it's of absolute necessity that our biggest asset Rodgers is kept on the field. Without him, it won't matter if our defense is improved.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think a lot of focus for many is just being put there because the change of DC was the biggest news this offseason.

For me going forward, ImI against having 3 QBs on this roster because we need extra space for extra OL right now. So any free agents out there to grab atm should be OLmen since it's of absolute necessity that our biggest asset Rodgers is kept on the field. Without him, it won't matter if our defense is improved.

The Packer have one of the best offensive lines if the starters are healthy, especially in pass protection. The team needs more quality depth at edge rusher and possibly inside linebacker though.

Members online

Latest posts