2018 Draft Review

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The Numbers are in......for those wanting to buy Jerseys of their favorite new Packer.

CB Jaire Alexander: #23
CB Josh Jackson: #37
LB Oren Burks: #42
WR J’Mon Moore: #82
G Cole Madison: #61
P JK Scott: no number yet
WR Marquez Valdes-Scantling: #83 :eek: Jeff Janis's old number!
WR Equanimeous St. Brown: #19
DE James Looney: #99
LS Hunter Bradley: #43
OLB Kendall Donnerson: #91

DoURant

Go Pack Go!
Reaction score
Why not? Not even sweat stained.
Former safety number?

I'm wondering how Janis Jubilee is gonna make a new screen name out of Valdes-Scantling?

Burks was a safety for 2 yrs before a year at ILB, and then last yr at OLB...I like it because I think he's gonna be a hybrid s/LB

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Numbers are in......for those wanting to buy Jerseys of their favorite new Packer.

I love linebackers with #’s in the 40’s.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hear Scott is still waiting to hear back from the Packers about his request to un-retire #15. He figures if Steve Largent was willing to do it for Jerry Rice it was worth a shot.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hear Scott is still waiting to hear back from the Packers about his request to un-retire #15. He figures if Steve Largent was willing to do it for Jerry Rice it was worth a shot.
"Ummm sorry son, but you don't just un-retire a number in Green Bay for a rookie". Give him #6, which happens to conveniently be available as of today and let him do the math (1+5). :coffee:

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Nicknames

Jaire Alexander: J-A

Josh Jackson: "Jo-Jack"

Oren 'the water' Burks:

J’Mon Moore:

Cole "Slaw" Madison

JK Scott: Stretch

Marquez Valdes-Scantling: "Black Janis"

WR Equanimeous St. Brown: EQ

James Looney: can't get any better than 'Looney' for a nickname

Hunter Bradley: Snappy

Kendall Donnerson:

Okay, most of these suck. I need some help.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Nicknames

Oren 'the water' Burks:

J’Mon Moore:

Cole "Slaw" Madison

Kendall Donnerson:

Nice stab at it though! ;) I think a nickname has to be earned and not just assigned. So I am going to wait until I see how they play. I mean look at Jeff Janis, we didn't label him the "Cardiac Kid" until his breakout performances. Hundley didn't just get called "Betty" for no reason and of course there is Clinton Dix, who would have thought to nickname him "Ha Ha" until after you saw him try to make a tackle?

Alex

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nicknames

Oren 'the water' Burks:

J’Mon Moore:

Cole "Slaw" Madison

Kendall Donnerson:

Just go the hockey route:

Jaire Alexander: Lexy

Josh Jackson: Jacksy

Oren Burks: Burksy

J’Mon Moore: Mooresy

Cole Madison: Mads

JK Scott: Scotty

Marquez Valdes-Scantling: Scants

WR Equanimeous St. Brown: Browner

James Looney: Tooney

Hunter Bradley: Hunts

Kendall Donnerson: Donners

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just go the hockey route:

Jaire Alexander: Lexy

Josh Jackson: Jacksy

Oren Burks: Burksy

J’Mon Moore: Mooresy

Cole Madison: Mads

JK Scott: Scotty

Marquez Valdes-Scantling: Scants

WR Equanimeous St. Brown: Browner

James Looney: Tooney

Hunter Bradley: Hunts

Kendall Donnerson: Donners

LOL! Yeah, they're not very original or creative with nicknames.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
These 3 were simply known as "The Hanson Brothers" :D

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yup, what Slapshot was to hockey, The Longest Yard has to go down as one of my favorite Football movies.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This draft gets a B- from me overall.
Alexander is a fine CB prospect and picking up a future first is great but I really do feel like they passed on adding a legit true playmaker in the defense in James. But they ended up with good value so it is what it is. I personally don't think the gap between them as prospects was quite worth the trade unless Brees arm falls off but I can understand why people would.

I think Gute overthought this trade. Yea, you get a 1st rounder for next year, but c'mon, that's next year. You have a certified blue chipper (Derwin James) ready to go. The move is a little too cute.

Jackson was great value in the 2nd. Kinda makes it sting more that we passed on James in the 1st though knowing we were able to land Jackson in the 2nd

True. J. Jax was picked at a great value, but damn passing on D. James hurts. Packers could've used a tone setter like him.

Burks is really a boom or bust guy. And really one I wouldn't expect to see the field much this coming season barring injury. He isn't going to pass Martinez and in all likelihood Ryan will still man the other ILB spot in the base simply due to his ability to play the run until Burks has a chance to improve in that area. I don't expect anything this year from him really but could pay big dividends in a year or two or he could be a guy you ask if hes still on the team. Whether you love him or hate him this is probably a reach one way or another in terms of value. Should've just stood pat instead of trading up or traded down and grabbed a guy like Sweat.

I think Burks and Martinez manning the middle could be formidable. Martinez will be the signal caller on defense this season. Burks could rely on athleticism alone and still get on the field a lot this season. With so many young players on defense, I think D.C. Mike Pettine will keep it simple and aggressive.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Gute overthought this trade. Yea, you get a 1st rounder for next year, but c'mon, that's next year. You have a certified blue chipper (Derwin James) ready to go. The move is a little too cute.
Yet, James slid to #17. That has to tell you something? I know people said he would be in the top 10 picks, but he wasn't. Some had Josh Jackson going in the top 10, does that mean Gute absolutely stole a blue chipper with the 45th pick? I doubt it.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet, James slid to #17. That has to tell you something? I know people said he would be in the top 10 picks, but he wasn't. Some had Josh Jackson going in the top 10, does that mean Gute absolutely stole a blue chipper with the 45th pick? I doubt it.

No, it just means the 49ers, Bills, Washington, and Bucs all did the things that have kept them being the 49ers, Bills, Washington, and Bucs. Derwin James will be one of the top five players picked in this draft and the Chargers now have a secondary that's the equal of Jacksonville.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like they intended to take Jaire all along. I wouldn't call the move cute, but ballsy.

Jaire is an impressive player in his own right. Although most of us ranked Edmunds and/or Derwin higher than Jaire it doesn't mean Gute did.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Derwin James would been huge for the Packers. James sliding to #17 gives me the impression that most teams picking early overvalued the QBs from this past draft. Also, the Browns picking Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb was completely idiotic. Most teams including the Packers chose need over drafting the "best player available". Derwin James slid, the same way AR12 slid back in 2005, because teams thought the position was solidified and/or didn't know what they were doing. Green Bay could've stood pat, picked up Derwin James. Josh Jackson in the second round, and other needs in the secondary with the third round picks they gave up to N.O. Derwin James can play any spot in the secondary!!! Playing corner opposite Kevin King, with Josh Jackson/Tramon Williams playing slot, is better than King, Jackson, and Alexander.

What's done is done. The secondary is already stronger than it was last year, even theoretically. But passing on D. James does sting.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sounds like they intended to take Jaire all along. I wouldn't call the move cute, but ballsy.

Jaire is an impressive player in his own right. Although most of us ranked Edmunds and/or Derwin higher than Jaire it doesn't mean Gute did.

Jaire isn't as impressive as Derwin James...no matter which way you slice it. Unless Gute flips the two 2019 1st rounders to move up within Top 10 or facilitate a major trade bringing back a Pro Bowler, then this move remains questionable.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Derwin James cannot play every spot in the secondary. Good grief. He projects as a good safety, a passable NB, and not an outside corner at all.

I want to preface this by saying I like James, but his tape has never matched his athletic ability or hype. I'll take a good CB over a very good safety any day. And I think Alexander can be a very good CB.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaire isn't as impressive as Derwin James...no matter which way you slice it. Unless Gute flips the two 2019 1st rounders to move up within Top 10 or facilitate a major trade bringing back a Pro Bowler, then this move remains questionable.
Jaire intercepted or broke up more passes than he allowed last season. He was loved and respected by the his coaches and his teammates. Opposing team QBs had a 17.7 QBR rating against him. He was a shutdown corner.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
with the third round picks they gave up to N.O.
The pick went to Seattle to move back up. Plus some lower level picks.
Derwin James would been huge for the Packers. James sliding to #17 gives me the impression that most teams picking early overvalued the QBs from this past draft.
so how did your discussions with his high school and college position coaches go? Also any conversations with him? During your meetings with the defensive co-ordinator did he need some one like him or does the review of tape by people that have been doing it for years because it puts bread on the table and a roof over their family's head show that you need a true CB, not someone that can also do it? You know, better than the conversion project you just shipped out.

Also, the Browns picking Denzel Ward over Bradley Chubb was completely idiotic.
Read a story the Brown's felt the pass rush was fine, but would be great if the DBs could buy an extra half step of coverage time. A lot of close but no cigar.

When was the last time any of these mock "experts" truly responsible for their decisions? Any battle plan is great until the first shot is fired.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Derwin James cannot play every spot in the secondary. Good grief. He projects as a good safety, a passable NB, and not an outside corner at all.

I want to preface this by saying I like James, but his tape has never matched his athletic ability or hype. I'll take a good CB over a very good safety any day. And I think Alexander can be a very good CB.

And I'd take the player I felt more capable of making impact plays. As an example give me the choice between Sam Shields and Nick Collins and I'm choosing Collins 10/10

(Somebody willing to hype up a punter as the 2nd coming should be wary of telling others to temper their opinions on a player)

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And I'd take the player I felt more capable of making impact plays. As an example give me the choice between Sam Shields and Nick Collins and I'm choosing Collins 10/10

(Somebody willing to hype up a punter as the 2nd coming should be wary of telling others to temper their opinions on a player)

Derwin James ain't no Nick Collins. Trust that.

Impact plays? Again, I like James...but he hasn't had an illustrious amount of impact plays. 3 interceptions for his career. His freshman year he had 4.5 sacks...he's a really good blitzer for his position, but I don't know if I would say he's produced an illustrious amount of impact plays in his career. For comparison, Nick Collins had 13 interceptions over his college career, and Alexander had 7. Both James and Alexander essentially missed a year or played hurt, and James played more as a freshman than Alexander did.

And I said Scott was a very good punter. If that's hyping him as the 2nd coming, then you've got a reading comprehension issue. Try to stick to the facts.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I understand that people view James as a better prospect than Alexander in a vacuum. I’m one of those people. However, when you consider what Green Bay needed, which position is more valuable, and (this is big) that they got a 1st round pick out of the move that eventually resulted in Alexander, there’s no contest for me. I take Alexander and a 1st 100 times out of a hundred over James on his own.

Members online

Latest posts