2018 Draft Review

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see any threads similar to this, so I apologize if there is one. Mods, you may move it if you wish since you seem to want every thing in one singular thread anyways (jokes).

1- Jaire Alexander: I mean, he's a stud. At worst on Week 1 he'll be our NB. I think he can move around to match up on smaller, quicker guys on the inside or outside (like Stefon Diggs). Reminds me of a Sam Shields/Chris Harris Jr type. Also has a good shot at being our PR if Trevor Davis doesn't make the final roster. Depending on how King and Jackson develop, Alexander will either end up as a slot CB or outside, he can play either and both are very important.

2 - Josh Jackson: Never thought he would be there. I think we were actually going to pick Dante Pettis, but SF traded in front of us to get him. Jackson is a nice double up pick, I would assume he'll end up playing outside and possibly even as a single high safety if he doesn't work out at CB. Great ball skills, great in zone, not so good at tackling and not so great in man. Depending on how these guys develop, we could have one of the best secondaries in the NFL in a couple years. Crazy.

3 - Oren Burks: He'll start out as the Dime ILB. He's a coverage LB, and I hope we play him where he wins. Very explosive, can match up with TE's and RB's coming out of the backfield. Does pretty well in zone coverage, which is something none of our LB's can currently do. You can really tell that Gute wants our team to be athletic. He'll play a lot in coverage, don't think he'll start next to Martinez right away though.

J'Mon Moore, MVS, and EQSB all have a shot to make the roster. I love tripling up at the WR position, and all of these guys are pretty similar. I think Moore has the best shot, and MVS has a shot to make it in the Jeff Janis role if he can be a good gunner. I don't think EQSB makes the roster. Most likely a practice squad guy. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out...Adams and Cobb are really the only WR's that are safe.

Cole Madison is a nice little project to develop at guard. He fits the Packer OL type pretty well. Good in pass protection, meh as a run blocker, needs to get functionally stronger, former OT. That is a Packers OL draft pick to a tee.

JK Scott was the best punter in the league. According to Bob McGinn's report, an NFL ST's coordinator said Vogel would've been about the 5-7th best punter in this draft. Scott can hit punts with a 5+ second hang time...which is freaking nuts. We won't have very many punts returned with this guy. Stud. Plus he grew up a huge Packers fan.

James Looney...7th round pick, don't care.

Hunter Bradley...I would assume this is our new long snapper. Important position that we've been trying to upgrade for years.

Kendall Donnerson is really athletic and that's all I know.

I think we got at least 3 immediate starters (Alexander, Scott, Bradley), 2 guys who will play significant time on defense (Jackson and Burks), at least one WR who will either be our WR3 or WR4 (just pick one tbh, but I would pick Moore), and an OL who could eventually be a starter but should at least be a good backup. That's a pretty good haul! Oh...and did I mention that we got a 2019 1st round pick?!

Gute gets a solid A from this guy.

Titletown01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sam Shields is a good comparison for Jaire. As someone who’s watched every game Jaire played the last 3 years, I couldn’t be more excited he’s here. He has great cover skills, but even at his size is not afraid to hit or help in the run game. He also plays with such a swagger that I think that will rub off on other guys in the secondary. Just wanted to add a bit since I’ve seen him so much and have been a fan for years now.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I wanted more at edge in this draft, but you can't force the board. I'm also surprised that they didn't add a TE. Maybe they'll sign someone like Marcedes Lewis to fill things out?

However, I love how they double/triple dipped at areas of need. They got super deep and athletic at wide receiver. There will now be 6 guys competing for the starting job across from Adams. That's crazy.

In division, I think the Bears had a great start in Smith, Daniels, and Miller. Their day three picks do little for me, but the first three rounds are the real difference makers.

Nothing about Detroit's draft scares me. Ragnow and Johnson are probably decent enough players, but they aren't making a huge impact. Crosby in round 5 was nice, but given how far he fell I'm guessing something is up with them.

Minnesota taking Hughes was smart. That was a good pick. Nothing after that sticks out to me.

The Cowboys, Broncos, and Giants had classes that I really like.

That Raiders and Steelers' classes are really unimpressive to me. Oakland's in particular is bad.

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
I'm surprised we didn't throw a late round pick at the TE position. I didn't like taking a punter because I don't think the reward is worth the gamble.

The last couple drafts havnt yielded anyone from the later rounds that I can think of off the top of my head so I really hope that turns around.

I don't think we did any head scratchers. Everyone picked really fills a need except punter which worries me a little because I hope that need wasn't clouding our FOs vision. I like this draft though it's too early to grade.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One thing that stands out to me from Gute's first draft is that while he continues the tradition of drafting athleticism (good), he's willing to bend/break some threshold rules. Alexander is basically 5'10" flat and Madison didn't hit either agility drill mark. Time will tell, but I think it's a good development that Gute wants to prioritize athleticism without being beholden to hard and fast rules.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ovarall I am happy with it. I love the fact Gute drafts big receivers, which has been missing in forever. Only picks I'm not excited about are Burks and Madison. The seventh round picks too but hey, they're seventh round picks so it's silly to expect high returns from them. Really the only thing I didn't like was the pass rush wasn't addressed. I give it a solid B.

Last edited:

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure I like overpicking at one position of need like wr and neglecting other holes in the roster like guard. Cole Madison is a longer term project due to his lack of lower body strength and poor run blocking ability. Packers could have had Fumigali as a nice 3rd TE on the team for only a fifth round draft pick but decided that TE depth wasn't that critical. To me Josh Jackson is a long term project. He didn't play man-to-man at Iowa so it will take time for him to be nfl ready. In addition. The wr talent in the Big Ten this year was mediocre. Hard to tell how good he really is going up against wr's and qb's who didn't interest any nfl teams. Even though Vogel isn't bad, upgrading a position with a fifth round pick is a good idea. Obviously Scott can boom punts. I don't think Burks is a bad pick but given his lack of experience at any one position, he will also be a longer term project. I think he could of been picked lower in the draft but am encouraged by his speed and coverage ability. Overall, getting the Saints pick was a coup, but too many needs went unattended. Every year the Packers play whack a mole by starting the season with one or two positions in critical need of an upgrade. For years it was safety, then TE after Jmike went down and now it looks like guard could be that spot. Like I mentioned last year, any injuries to the o line and you can kiss the season good bye due to the lack of quality depth.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I don’t know if I could be happier with how this draft panned out. Of course I would have been happy with a TE and edge rusher in the earlier rounds, but I don’t know who I would sacrifice. My favorite picks of this draft are Josh Jackson and Marquez Valder. I think both of those kids have star potential. I see Valder turning into the WR3 pretty quickly. I think Jaire Alexander will be a threat of a slot corner and punt returner. I think Moore will be a WR5. Overall, Gute has crushed free agency. I am beyond excited to see what Philbin and Pettine can do with the talented roster they have.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Getting both Alexander and Jackson in this draft automatically makes it an B+ at least and getting a first next year has to put this into an A category. Taking two out of the top 4 pure corners in this draft should result in at least one pro-bowl caliber corner. Love the move to double dip.

I really wanted us to move up into the third and we kind of did, unfortunately, I'm not enamored by the pick. Burks could work out, but I thought there was a ton of better O-line prospects at the pick. I was also hoping we'd move up even further with the amount of picks we had and select an edge player. Maybe we tried, but this was the first reach of the day for me and I didn't like giving up the first pick of day 3.

Getting into the wide receivers. If you told me we were picking these three wide receivers last week I would have told you the order was St. Brown, Moore, and the MVS. Shows how much us fans who watch tape actually know lol. I liked Moore as a 5th to 7th round wide receiver as he has a ton of talent, but man, the focus drops are really bad sometimes. I thought MVS was going to be our EQSB replacement because apparently EQSB's teammates and coaches were bashing him. I was excited at this pick because it seems like a Martavis Bryant like pick. He's got a terrible vertical for his height, but his speed is awesome which means he should blow the lid off some defenses. His quarterback was awful so it was hard to truly judge his talent. EQ St. Brown, what can I say, wanted him as high as round two and we got him in the 6th. I think he fell because of character concerns and lack of tape in 2017, but I believe it'll be him and Moore that make the team.

Cole Madison was a pick of need, but it seemed like if we were already reaching on athletes in this draft, we should have went with someone like Crosby who needs work, but is one hell of an athlete who's projected to jump inside. I will be honest, I didn't watch a single game of Cole's so I can't hate the pick. However, like I said previously, when we drafted Burks, Noteboom, Okorafor, and Cappa were still on the board.

A punter?! Yes, a punter. It was a surprise pick, but can this guy kick the ever-loving crap out of a ball. Being a Georgia fan, I saw it on multiple occasions and he's a Packer's fan, welcome aboard!

I called us grabbing a long snapper too and I'm not really going to comment on the late round picks because I didn't watch their tape. However, Donnerson looks like a freak that would be an awesome edge if he develops.

Overall, I think we missed some opportunities at Edge, O-line, and a blocking tight end, but to be fair, it wasn't the strongest Edge class to begin with. If next year continues to look as good as it does at the DL and Edge positions, those two first round picks are going to do some damage!

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One thing that occurred to me regarding the J.K. Scott pick-- early in the season when Crosby kept missing kicks and McCarthy said it was an "exchange" problem, I think we all assumed it was the long snapper that was at issue. And I think that was true. But it may be that Vogel was also part of the problem. In addition to punting, holding properly on field goals is one of the main responsibilities of a punter. This is just conjecture, but it may be that they viewed Scott as both a better punter and a more reliable holder on exchanges.

I'd also point out that they have literally nothing invested in Vogel. He was undrafted.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its tough when thee player you want the Packers to draft but you know its very unlikely he is there, then he is there, and the team goes in a different direction. First I would have stayed put and taken Edmunds. Then, after trading back, I would not have traded up, but waited for either Alexander, Jackson, or Hughes at 27. I think 3rd rounder would have been there. Then, insult to injury, Seattle used our 3rd round pick to take my best case available scenario, Rasheem Green.

Looking back on how the first round happened, it worked out. Alexander has some injury history, and I think finding a safer player given our history, would have been a better idea. But Jaire is a tremendously talented player, no doubt. Hope he stays healthy.

Josh Jackson, I don't think he was our plan. I think the Packers were shocked he was still there and went BPA rather than filling any other need. Great pick. Thought he could go anywhere from 15 on and nobody would have batted an eye.

We made some interesting picks later with long snappers and punters and such. Glad we had lots of picks to work with.

Like all 3 WRs, we should hit on one of those at least. I'm thinking Moore, St. Brown, and Scantling is how I would rank them. Surprised we didnt go with a short quick guy type WR.

Looney has a great name. He was higher on draft lists coming into the last season and did not play as well as expected. Not sure the reason for it - but perhaps the Packers know something. Great gamble at this point in the draft.

Burks - Another big gamble. Not much ILB experience, but appears to have everything needed to be successful from a physical and attitude standpoint. His safety experience says that he has more aptitude for coverage than most ILBs. Intrigued to see what Pettine can do with him.

Donnerson - only hit in my contest for me. He is one of the most athletically gifted edge players in the draft. Great gamble in the 7th. This is the Ferrari that needs a lot of work to get running.

Madison - played in a different offense than Pack will ask of him. Has tools, will have to adapt. Wait and see.

Throwing in the added 2019 1st round Saints pick, and this is an excellent effort by the Packers.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Getting both Alexander and Jackson in this draft automatically makes it an B+ at least and getting a first next year has to put this into an A category. Taking two out of the top 4 pure corners in this draft should result in at least one pro-bowl caliber corner. Love the move to double dip.

I really wanted us to move up into the third and we kind of did, unfortunately, I'm not enamored by the pick. Burks could work out, but I thought there was a ton of better O-line prospects at the pick. I was also hoping we'd move up even further with the amount of picks we had and select an edge player. Maybe we tried, but this was the first reach of the day for me and I didn't like giving up the first pick of day 3.

Getting into the wide receivers. If you told me we were picking these three wide receivers last week I would have told you the order was St. Brown, Moore, and the MVS. Shows how much us fans who watch tape actually know lol. I liked Moore as a 5th to 7th round wide receiver as he has a ton of talent, but man, the focus drops are really bad sometimes. I thought MVS was going to be our EQSB replacement because apparently EQSB's teammates and coaches were bashing him. I was excited at this pick because it seems like a Martavis Bryant like pick. He's got a terrible vertical for his height, but his speed is awesome which means he should blow the lid off some defenses. His quarterback was awful so it was hard to truly judge his talent. EQ St. Brown, what can I say, wanted him as high as round two and we got him in the 6th. I think he fell because of character concerns and lack of tape in 2017, but I believe it'll be him and Moore that make the team.

Cole Madison was a pick of need, but it seemed like if we were already reaching on athletes in this draft, we should have went with someone like Crosby who needs work, but is one hell of an athlete who's projected to jump inside. I will be honest, I didn't watch a single game of Cole's so I can't hate the pick. However, like I said previously, when we drafted Burks,.. Noteboom, Okorafor, and Cappa were still on the board.

A punter?! Yes, a punter. It was a surprise pick, but can this guy kick the ever-loving crap out of a ball. Being a Georgia fan, I saw it on multiple occasions and he's a Packer's fan, welcome aboard!

I called us grabbing a long snapper too and I'm not really going to comment on the late round picks because I didn't watch their tape. However, Donnerson looks like a freak that would be an awesome edge if he develops.

Overall, I think we missed some opportunities at Edge, O-line, and a blocking tight end, but to be fair, it wasn't the strongest Edge class to begin with. If next year continues to look as good as it does at the DL and Edge positions, those two first rounds are going to do some damage!

I know I don't need to tell you this, but I think that ILB was quietly the biggest hole on the roster that no one seemed to talk much about. I had Burks pegged for the high 4th round pick for us, so trading up to #88 wasn't a big surprise. I think it was likely motivated by the run on the position that was taking place in the 3rd. Fred Warner, Jerome Baker, and Malik Jefferson had all been picked off. Who were the OL you really liked there? Other than Noteboom, I didn't see anyone. Crosby of course was highly rated, but it seems that it was medical red flags that caused him to fall. Which makes sense, because he didn't get selected for two full rounds after the Burks pick.

I tend to trust the Packers' FO and Campen when it comes to middle round offensive line. They've been too good at drafting and developing there not to get the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Madison pans out and maybe he doesn't, but when they took him I didn't see anyone markedly better other than Crosby who clearly had something else going on.

I too was surprised that they put off edge and TE. I guess you can't get everything done in one draft. Put edge at the top of the list for next year.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I didn't like the Packers passing on James, selecting a punter in the fifth round and not adding an edge defender I definitely consider Gutekunst's first draft to be a successful one, especially considering he acquired another first round pick for next year.

FWIW PFF graded the Packers draft as elite with only the Jets and Cowboys receiving the same grade as well.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While I didn't like the Packers passing on James, selecting a punter in the fifth round and not adding an edge defender I definitely consider Gutekunst's first draft to be a successful one, especially considering he acquired another first round pick for next year.

FWIW PFF graded the Packers draft as elite with only the Jets and Cowboys receiving the same grade as well.

Well then sew it up then! If all 82" of Steve Palazzolo with that beautiful jerry curl signs off, that's all I need.

Titletown01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alexander had one year where he missed time, which happens to a ton of players, including guys like Derwin James(see 2016). Not sure why that is ignored by everyone who was on the James or bust campaign. Injuries happen in football, and the chances of making it through 3-4 years of college football without any are slim.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Assuming we stay quiet in FA...this is my prediction of the roster

QB: Aaron Rodgers, DeShone Kizer

RB: Aaron Jones, Jamal Williams, Ty Montgomery

TE: Jimmy Graham, Lance Kendricks

WR: Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Geronimo Allison, J’Mon Moore, MVL, Michael Clark

LT: David Bahkitari, Kyle Murphy

LG: Lane Taylor, Lucas Patrick, Kofi Amachia

C: Corey Linsley, Dillon Day

RG: Justin McCray, Cole Madison

RT: Jason Spriggs, Bryan Bulaga (start season on IR)

FB: Aaron Ripkowski

DE: Mohammed Wilkerson, Dean Lowry, Janes Looney

NT: Kenny Clark

DT: Mike Daniels, Montravious Adams

LOLB: CM3, Vince Beigle, Reggie Gilbert

ILB: Blake Martinez, Oren Burks

ILB: Jake Ryan

ROLB: Nick Perry, Kyler Frackrell, Chris Odom

LCB: Josh Jackson, Kevin King, Lenzy Pipkins

RCB: Tramon Williams, Jaire Alexander, Davon House

SS: Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice

FS: Haha, Marwin Evans, Jermaine Whitehead

K: Mason Crosby

P: JK Scott

LS: Hunter Bradley

Practice Squad: Joe Callahan, Emmanuel Byrd, DeAngelo Yancey, Joe Kerridge, Kendall Donnerson, Donatello Brown, Equanimous St. Brown,

Cut/trade: Brett Hundley, Trevor Davis, John Ulrich, Davante Mayes, Quentin Rollins, Josh Hawkins

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The draft was fine. Plugged our 3 of our 4 biggest holes with quality players. Cant fault them for not overdrafting pass rushers that quite frankly just werent there in this draft.

I still expect a move for wr in FA. Possibly TE as well. The offseason isnt over here.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The draft was fine. Plugged our 3 of our 4 biggest holes with quality players. Cant fault them for not overdrafting pass rushers that quite frankly just werent there in this draft.

I still expect a move for wr in FA. Possibly TE as well. The offseason isnt over here.

You expect them to sign a FA wide receiver after drafting 5 in the last two drafts?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One takeaway from yesterday— I’m glad that Gutekunst is the Wolf disciple we ended up with and not McKenzie or Schneider.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Mostly late round guys. Im not so sure Allison is safely a Packer come regular season either.

I don’t think anyone but Adams and Cobb are safe, but I don’t see why they would throw so many picks at the competition and then turn around and sign a WR off the scrap heap. At best, I guess they might sign a roster cut if not even of the young guys look the part. But even that I doubt.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think anyone but Adams and Cobb are safe, but I don’t see why they would throw so many picks at the competition and then turn around and sign a WR off the scrap heap. At best, I guess they might sign a roster cut if not even of the young guys look the part. But even that I doubt.

Probably because the best value left was without a doubt WR and they were just going BPA on their board. I mean they had the most picks in the draft. Part of me thinks they see the writing on the wall as far as their draft picks last season and are trying to go a different direction. Taller, more imposing targets.

But I think with the prices about to drop on post draft FA's we will be looking to add one more quality veteran to the fold opposite Adams.

Members online

Latest posts