2018 Draft Review

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Probably because the best value left was without a doubt WR and they were just going BPA on their board. I mean they had the most picks in the draft. Part of me thinks they see the writing on the wall as far as their draft picks last season and are trying to go a different direction. Taller, more imposing targets.

But I think with the prices about to drop on post draft FA's we will be looking to add one more quality veteran to the fold opposite Adams.

We shall see. I highly doubt it, but I was wrong before that one time.

There’s no one out there that interests me.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give this draft a "G" for Groundhogs Day. It seems that corner is always a need that needs to be addressed early in the draft. I'm hoping this is the last time the Packers have to draft defensive backs with their first two picks. I really like both guys.... paired with Kevin King, the secondary could actually become a strength. I just hate the fact that by never drafting the "right" guy (or guys), the Packers can't upgrade depth along the offensive line, depth at receiver, and pass rush.

I guess this is the end of the Quentin Rollins era.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burks and Scott were probably a reach. Rest are cracking.

I'd give this A-.

It's been a Goote Draft!

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Assuming we stay quiet in FA...this is my prediction of the roster

QB: Aaron Rodgers, DeShone Kizer

RB: Aaron Jones, Jamal Williams, Ty Montgomery

TE: Jimmy Graham, Lance Kendricks

WR: Davante Adams, Randall Cobb, Geronimo Allison, J’Mon Moore, MVL, Michael Clark

LT: David Bahkitari, Kyle Murphy

LG: Lane Taylor, Lucas Patrick, Kofi Amachia

C: Corey Linsley, Dillon Day

RG: Justin McCray, Cole Madison

RT: Jason Spriggs, Bryan Bulaga (start season on IR)

FB: Aaron Ripkowski

DE: Mohammed Wilkerson, Dean Lowry, Janes Looney

NT: Kenny Clark

DT: Mike Daniels, Montravious Adams

LOLB: CM3, Vince Beigle, Reggie Gilbert

ILB: Blake Martinez, Oren Burks

ILB: Jake Ryan

ROLB: Nick Perry, Kyler Frackrell, Chris Odom

LCB: Josh Jackson, Kevin King, Lenzy Pipkins

RCB: Tramon Williams, Jaire Alexander, Davon House

SS: Josh Jones, Kentrell Brice

FS: Haha, Marwin Evans, Jermaine Whitehead

K: Mason Crosby

P: JK Scott

LS: Hunter Bradley

Practice Squad: Joe Callahan, Emmanuel Byrd, DeAngelo Yancey, Joe Kerridge, Kendall Donnerson, Donatello Brown, Equanimous St. Brown,

Cut/trade: Brett Hundley, Trevor Davis, John Ulrich, Davante Mayes, Quentin Rollins, Josh Hawkins

They should cut Bulaga. He's done.

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also, Alexander reminds me a lot of Sam Shields, and we all know what happened in his rookie year.....

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Move Rollins to FS.

If that doesn't work, cut him...but I think he should go to FS.

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I might have agreed before the draft
but we didn't add any immediate OL help
and do we have better plans for that money if we cut him?
if not, what's the point?

It definitely frees up money for Rodgers' extension, not to mention it allows healthier and younger players the opportunity to compete. Bulaga will get exploited at right tackle. McCarthy doesn't want to move him inside to right guard. Cut him and keep it moving.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This draft gets a B- from me overall.

Alexander is a fine CB prospect and picking up a future first is great but I really do feel like they passed on adding a legit true playmaker in the defense in James. But they ended up with good value so it is what it is. I personally don't think the gap between them as prospects was quite worth the trade unless Brees arm falls off but I can understand why people would.

Jackson was great value in the 2nd. Kinda makes it sting more that we passed on James in the 1st though knowing we were able to land Jackson in the 2nd

Burks is really a boom or bust guy. And really one I wouldn't expect to see the field much this coming season barring injury. He isnt going to pass Martinez and in all likelihood Ryan will still man the other ILB spot in the base simply due to his ability to play the run until Burks has a chance to improve in that area. I don't expect anything this year from him really but could pay big dividends in a year or two or he could be a guy you ask if hes still on the team. Whether you love him or hate him this is probably a reach one way or another in terms of value. Should've just stood pat instead of trading up or traded down and grabbed a guy like Sweat.

Moore plays faster then his 40. Looks like a less explosive Adams. Like the pick. Don't love it. Probably would've been better to pull the trigger on a pass rusher again in Griffin

Madison hopefully can be groomed into a solid depth guy. Solid pick

As for the late round guys let's be honest. It's just throwing darts at the dart board. People were excited for Dupre last year and he never sniffed the roster. I'll give them till training camp before I'll make any kind of evaluation on them.

Outside of the Punter of course. Wasted pick no matter how you slice it really. Vogel was actually pretty good last year so even in a best case scenario it's only going to be a marginal ugrade at best. "Insert any Oline or Dline" prospect to draft and stash on the PS would've been a better choice. Unsurprisingly people have already talked themselves into this guy being the best Punter in the league in an attempt to justify this pick. I find that funny when he wasn't even the first drafted. Much less him actually being significantly better then Vogel

I actually liked that they drafted a long snapper in the 7th. It's like drafting a kicker in FF. You wait till the very last round and get your guy without having to worry about waivers claims.

Summary:

I give this a draft a B- not because we didn't get some damn good players or value both now and in the future. We absolutely did. And I don't give it a B- because we passed on my man crush in James. (Although passing on a blue chipper like him does lower the overall grade slightly.) Everybody evaluates differently. I give it a B- because there was shockingly little done to address the pass rush. Yes we needed CBs. But damn if we didn't need a guy to at least add to the rotation because as of right now our pass rush, and in turn any hope of having a successful defense regardless of our corners, is predicated on Perry and/or Mathews not getting hurt.

I just cant give a grade higher then a B- when a glaring weakness like that wasn't addressed once. Even in a draft that wasn't loaded with them guys like Sweat and Griffin could've been added in lew of guys like Burks or Moore.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd give this draft a 'B-'. Now, nobody knew Josh Jackson would still be around in the second round but I can't help but look at the first two days and imagine how nice it would have been to get Derwin James/Tremaine Edwards in round one and then Josh Jackson in round 2. Now, getting two potentially great corners is nothing to sneeze at but Green Bay is a unique situation due to bad prior drafts that has made this many corners a serious need; most other teams drafting two corners in rounds 1 and 2 (after spending their first rounder last year on a corner) would deserve below a B but Green Bay really needed those guys. Burks seems like a guy that might develop into the coverage linebacker the Packers have been looking for. The three wide receivers all have potential to be good, though it'll take some time for that to show up and . Madison might help at right guard in the future.

With the serious needs that Green Bay had at corner, taking ANOTHER two corners first in the draft doesn't hurt as much as it would most teams. The Packers ignored edge rushers, so either they think Matthews will be rejuvenated and Perry will stay healthy or they're putting the burden on Pettine to manufacture a pass rush. Either way, not getting a young edge rusher is a hole in this draft.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had a decent rookie year and showed flashes of having some skill. The guy was hurt a lot last year and is only going into his third year. Don't give up on him yet.

I think the front office gave up on him (and Randal obviously). Since he was drafted, the Packers drafted Kevin King, Jaire Alexander, Joshua Jackson, and Josh Jones and signed Davon House and Tramon Williams. I don't claim to have any firsthand knowledge, but that doesn't look like confidence to me.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give it a B- because there was shockingly little done to address the pass rush. Yes we needed CBs. But damn if we didn't need a guy to at least add to the rotation because as of right now our pass rush, and in turn any hope of having a successful defense regardless of our corners, is predicated on Perry and/or Mathews not getting hurt.

I just cant give a grade higher then a B- when a glaring weakness like that wasn't addressed once. Even in a draft that wasn't loaded with them guys like Sweat and Griffin could've been added in lew of guys like Burks or Moore.

100% agree. Really like the guys we got. Love some of the guys we passed on. Lack of pass rush additions is alarming tbh.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grades from analysts. Seems like they like this draft more than quite a few here. When sb nation is the one that doesn't like it I feel good.

SB Nation: B-
ESPN: A-
NFL: A
PFF: Elite
SI - A
CBS - B+ in one. Winner in the other
USA Today - B+
Sporting news - A
Bleacher Report - B+

5 A's, winner, or elite so best grade possible
1 A-
3 B+
1 B-

So a solid A-. Seems like it is agreed upon that this was a very good draft that also set us up well next year for picks

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was stunned they passed on derwin james but after it's all said and done...i give them an A too. lol.....
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
let me say again that i'd like to see at least 3 starters (based on merit) out of this draft class (season opener would be great but by mid season for sure) for this A to hold up this season. replacing lesser players is a must.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The pass rushers in this draft were subpar tbh.

Next year though, next year will be good.

If they can somehow use both 1’s to go get Bosa, I will lose it. I will run through fen and field naked as the day I was born singing the Buckeye Battle Cry at the top of my lungs.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can somehow use both 1’s to go get Bosa, I will lose it. I will run through fen and field naked as the day I was born singing the Buckeye Battle Cry at the top of my lungs.

I still hate Ohio State because of 2002.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

But for real...

Joey Bosa
Brian Burns
Clelin Ferrell
Joe Jackson

That's just off the top of my head. Those would have all been first round edge rushers this year. Dominant iDL and Edge class next year. Dominant.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
But for real...

Joey Bosa
Brian Burns
Clelin Ferrell
Joe Jackson

That's just off the top of my head. Those would have all been first round edge rushers this year. Dominant iDL and Edge class next year. Dominant.

*Nick

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grades from analysts. Seems like they like this draft more than quite a few here. When sb nation is the one that doesn't like it I feel good.

SB Nation: B-
ESPN: A-
NFL: A
PFF: Elite
SI - A
CBS - B+ in one. Winner in the other
USA Today - B+
Sporting news - A
Bleacher Report - B+

5 A's, winner, or elite so best grade possible
1 A-
3 B+
1 B-

So a solid A-. Seems like it is agreed upon that this was a very good draft that also set us up well next year for picks

Not to mention, Bleacher Report rated us as the team that did the most to help itself in the draft.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-improved-the-most-through-the-2018-nfl-draft

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts