2018 Draft Review

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can somehow use both 1’s to go get Bosa, I will lose it. I will run through fen and field naked as the day I was born singing the Buckeye Battle Cry at the top of my lungs.

Kinda makes me hope it don't happen. Just sayin.

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give this draft by the pack a B-
The reason was picking CBs again high. I do think CB is finally set! Some nice young CB talent obtained...finally lol

I didn’t like the 3rd rd pick at all! Not when Griffin was there & is a better player.

The WRs & a P... yes a P stole the show on the final day! All WRs have nothing but huge upsides if they put in the work! St. James was a steal in the 6th rd! The P from Bama was much needed! The packers have been shaky at P ever since Ted let go Jon Ryan, not no more! This Scott kid will be the packers P for the nex 10/13years!

What led to B- too, was no where in this draft was the pass rush addressed. It looks like Pettine’ scheme & coaching will have to take care of that.

We really won’t know what we have until training camp & pre season games are played. But with a better D coach, AR healthy, Joe Philbin returning and some nice young talent added over the weekend, our pack should be back in 2018!!

OldSchoolPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give this draft a "G" for Groundhogs Day. It seems that corner is always a need that needs to be addressed early in the draft. I'm hoping this is the last time the Packers have to draft defensive backs with their first two picks. I really like both guys.... paired with Kevin King, the secondary could actually become a strength. I just hate the fact that by never drafting the "right" guy (or guys), the Packers can't upgrade depth along the offensive line, depth at receiver, and pass rush.

I guess this is the end of the Quentin Rollins era.

You’re right! By focusing & missing on one position so many years, that creates weaknesses at other positions. I think this is the last draft the packers spend pick DBs high!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the front office gave up on him (and Randal obviously). Since he was drafted, the Packers drafted Kevin King, Jaire Alexander, Joshua Jackson, and Josh Jones and signed Davon House and Tramon Williams. I don't claim to have any firsthand knowledge, but that doesn't look like confidence to me.

I was not trying to imply that he was in a great position. He hasn't shown much since those flashes two years ago, that's cause enough for the front office to doubt the guy. However, it's not like the Packers have had tremendous luck lately with highly drafted corners so I'm just gonna hold out hope on ALL of them, with the expectation that dumb luck would imply at least two should be good.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I've alluded to this here and there, but Gutekunst did demonstrate some signs of deviation from some of the Wolf/Thompson tendencies. I'd like to spell out what I mean.

Jaire Alexander: Ron Wolf and his disciples have long been known for strict height/length thresholds at corner. To my knowledge, Thompson never drafted a corner under 5'11". Alexander is basically 5'10" flat. Gutekunst acknowledged the trend in an interview prior to the draft and said that he would be sticking to these principles, but that "exceptions" need to be made on a case by case basis. He was clearly a lot more willing to make an exception than his predecessor. I think this is a big positive development. It's not hard to find sub 5'11" corners in the league that are really, really good. Weeding them out is not helpful.

J'mon Moore: The slowest wide receiver that Thompson ever drafted ran a 4.56 (Adams). J'mon Moore, while super athletic in other ways, posted a 4.60 at the combine. Listening to their interviews, the Packers don't seem to buy that time for him (he ran a 4.49 at his pro day). However, his official time was his official time and it's interesting that Gute's first receiver ever drafted broke the mold in terms of forty time. Again, I think this is a good thing-- it would be a shame to knock guys of Moore's athletic caliber off the board simply due to one poorer metric.

Cole Madison: Over Thompson's tenure, every OL drafted save two hit certain thresholds in agility drills. Jamon Meredith (5th Round) and Caleb Schlauderaff (6th Round) were the outliers. Cole Madison represents another one. His short shuttle (4.88) missed the 4.75 minimum, while his three cone (7.86) was well about the 7.71 line. This isn't truly a departure, given that Thompson had done the same thing in the same round, but it's not in line with the pattern. I'm a little reticent to let these metrics go as they have proven so successful.

Those are the main exceptions to point out. On the whole, Gutekunst still prioritized athleticism, which I like a lot. A couple other random thoughts: I'm sure Ward was the trade up target if he fell far enough. They maneuvered to land Alexander and he was the next best thing in terms of that style of corner. Also, I think we were going to take Pettis at #45. The Niners moved right in front of us and then we took Moore, who has a lot of similar traits. It would seem that the NFL was a lot higher on Pettis than the media.

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they can somehow use both 1’s to go get Bosa, I will lose it. I will run through fen and field naked as the day I was born singing the Buckeye Battle Cry at the top of my lungs.

Kinda makes me hope it don't happen. Just sayin.

Dantes, if that day ever comes will you please give us a day's notice so that I can make sure I'm not near any television screens or other electronic devices? No offense; for all I know you're an underwear model. I'm just thinking in terms of the average bratwurst-eatin' cheesehead and calculating the likelihoods...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey, is that guy smuggling a burrito?

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I do not think we can possibly grade this draft from a personnel stand point. We could have added 10 busts or 10 rookie of the year candidates. There is no way of knowing this early. But what we do know is this:

1. We addressed depth concerns at CB and WR and in doing so created a very exciting competition battle at both of those spots.
2. We recieved a first round pick next year, which is obviously unbelievably valuable knowing we have two firsts in our pocket for next year. Whether we use it as trade bait for a position that we need to bolster come August or even October, use it as it was given in the 2019 draft or use two draft picks to possibly trade into the top 10 in next years draft.
3. Started a competition for punters that will be fun to take note of during camp (side note: JK Scott does not go into the air when he punts. I am an athletic trainer that works specifically in injury prevention and body mechanics. I have never seen anything like this in my life. The kid is about 6’6 and the flexibility of his hamstrings are that of a professional gymnast - no exaggeration. I have no idea if this is a good thing or a bad thing, because its a completely new thing. Never in my life have a seen a man of that height have so much hamstring flexibility AND punt a football without ever leaving the ground).
4. We may have replaced the loss of Joe Thomas with a potentially serviceable back up ILB in Burks.
5. Competition at long snapper may help us breath easy during kicks again.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Most of what I think about this draft class has been said. For now, I was very pleased with the outcome, but like some have said, I prefer waiting a few years to really grade it. Especially when you consider we still have the Saints first round pick! IF we get a top player from that pick and some of the other 11 guys are productive, this draft will go down as one of the best in a long time. IF IF IF

One observation though is the height and speed of the 11 players taken. Coincidence or are Gute and the scouts looking for taller, quicker, more athletic guys?

Just height alone, this looks like a Basketball Team, average height of the 11 picks is about 6' 3"
  1. Jaire Alexander: 5' 11"
  2. Josh Jackson: 6'
  3. Oren Burks: 6' 3"
  4. J'Mon Moore: 6' 3"
  5. Cole Madison: 6' 5"
  6. JK Scott: 6' 5"
  7. Marquez Valdes-Scantling: 6' 4"
  8. EQ Brown: 6' 5"
  9. James Looney: 6' 3"
  10. Hunter Bradley: 6' 3"
  11. Kendall Donnerson: 6' 2"

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Most of what I think about this draft class has been said. For now, I was very pleased with the outcome, but like some have said, I prefer waiting a few years to really grade it. Especially when you consider we still have the Saints first round pick! IF we get a top player from that pick and some of the other 11 guys are productive, this draft will go down as one of the best in a long time. IF IF IF

One observation though is the height and speed of the 11 players taken. Coincidence or are Gute and the scouts looking for taller, quicker, more athletic guys?

Just height alone, this looks like a Basketball Team, average height of the 11 picks is about 6' 3"
  1. Jaire Alexander: 5' 11"
  2. Josh Jackson: 6'
  3. Oren Burks: 6' 3"
  4. J'Mon Moore: 6' 3"
  5. Cole Madison: 6' 5"
  6. JK Scott: 6' 5"
  7. Marquez Valdes-Scantling: 6' 4"
  8. EQ Brown: 6' 5"
  9. James Looney: 6' 3"
  10. Hunter Bradley: 6' 3"
  11. Kendall Donnerson: 6' 2"

Just a note, not trying to nitpick, but Alexander is 5'10".

Reggie White Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am dreaming of 3 6 foot receivers with blazing speed for the next couple years with A-Rod..wooooo weeeee. Let's get to week 1 already. Aaron hasn't had this type of speed.Verticals, and back shoulders oh my....

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am dreaming of 3 6 foot receivers with blazing speed for the next couple years with A-Rod..wooooo weeeee. Let's get to week 1 already. Aaron hasn't had this type of speed.Verticals, and back shoulders oh my....

I'm just excited that they have so many big, talented guys to stack up. I expect most of them to fail, but I like their chances of finding one good starter in the bunch.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just a note, not trying to nitpick, but Alexander is 5'10".
I found 5' 10 3/4" and rounded up ;) Although, I did see 5'11 on one site. I even found Jackson listed at 6'1" It is interesting how players heights vary from source to source, must be the thickness of socks. :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would love to get a team photo when camp opens of the receiving group. You have the rookies, plus 6' 6" Clark and 6' 7" Graham.

The Packers might have to raise the ceiling in the team shower room to accomodate all these guys! :coffee:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm just excited that they have so many big, talented guys to stack up. I expect most of them to fail, but I like their chances of finding one good starter in the bunch.
Kind of a repeat of last year, when the Packers used mid to late round picks on 3 RB's. If 2 decent players come out of it, I would consider it a success.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

A man can dream but unless he gets hurt or does something stupid trying to get him would be crazy, well unless either the Packers or Saints implodes next season. If both teams are playoff teams we might be able to trade two 1sts to get picks ranged 10-14 and well Bosa might last until 5.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of a repeat of last year, when the Packers used mid to late round picks on 3 RB's. If 2 decent players come out of it, I would consider it a success.

Picking that low if one turns into a mainstay pass catcher it's a win.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was being optimistic, but yes, I agree with you, especially given the recent draft history of the position for the Packers.

Well it's the buckshot method and truth be told theres a certain degree of risk at the position group. Is a receiver that good or just a product of his system? Is a receiver better than he was in college did, did he have a lousy quarterback or bad scheme? Who knows, then you have Aaron who demands a certain degree of precision and well maybe the buckshot method is the way to go.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I found 5' 10 3/4" and rounded up ;) Although, I did see 5'11 on one site. I even found Jackson listed at 6'1" It is interesting how players heights vary from source to source, must be the thickness of socks. :coffee:

His official combine measurement was 5 feet 10.2 inches.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Even one. If you take three swings on WR's in the late 4th, 5th, and 6th rounds and get a starter out of it, that's a win.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Gute and company went for pure athletism this draft. This information came from a scouting report that’s based purely on combine results combined:
Cornerbacks- Jaire Alexander ranked #2 overall for CB at the combine and Josh Jackson ranked #4
Wide Recievers- J’Mon Moore ranked #3, MVS ranked #7 and EQ ranked #21
Linebackers- Oren Burks ranked #9 among linebackers
Oline- Cole Mason ranked #9 of interior lineman
DE- James Looney ranked #20

Members online

Latest posts