2018 Draft Review

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I actually love Jackson in the 2nd round but is nobody concerned that he was targeted 91 times last year?

Yes he held up great but it does make one think that teams saw something on film that made them feel like they didn't need to gameplan away from him.

Could be wrong but top college corners never really seem to get targeted that much where as Jackson wasn't shied away from
My spin on that. I would guess Jackson lined up with the other teams top WR, sometimes the difference in college between their #1 and #2 WR is big enough, that it was probably viewed as a worthwhile risk given Jackson hadn't had much experience prior to the 2017 season. The upside, as you imply, he not only got the experience, but proved himself in the process. I haven't looked at his game by game stats, but I would have to guess that offensive coordinators started to shy away from throwing at him as the season progressed.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My spin on that. I would guess Jackson lined up with the other teams top WR, sometimes the difference in college between their #1 and #2 WR is big enough, that it was probably viewed as a worthwhile risk given Jackson hadn't had much experience prior to the 2017 season. The upside, as you imply, he not only got the experience, but proved himself in the process. I haven't looked at his game by game stats, but I would have to guess that offensive coordinators started to shy away from throwing at him as the season progressed.
pff certainly did and he was their #1 rated cb. i hope he and alexander are so good they win starting jobs. jackson was probably targeted so much as he was covering their best wr, who would naturally be the qb's #1 target.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our 1st and 2nd round picks in 2018 proved Ted should've been given the hook prior to the 2016 draft.

I love St. Brown from seeing him play at ND. Paired with Kizer the offense in the pre-season should look like Madden. I truly believe if Kizer had come back for his 2017 College season, both players would've been drafted in the first 2 rounds.

Never having seen Burks or Jackson play but having heard things since the draft I have to say these guys sound like what we need to improve the defense.

On the flipside, we didn't address EDGE, and I'm not sure positive or negative if we addressed the O-Line issues.

I'm gonna give this draft a C

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i'll bet mayes and at least one of the others listed sticks.

I think Quentin Rollins has a chance to be a very good free safety. He has very good ball skills he's just a bit slow as a corner as a safety that deficiency would be lesser. Funny thing is he was rated as the number 4 safety by Mike mayock while Randall was his number 1 safety. The Packers took both and played them out of position at cb. I'm betting that Randall turns into a pro bowl caliber safety for the browns. He's gonna get a lot of picks and I feel like Rollins would benefit from a switch to his more natural position

D

Deleted member 6794

I actually love Jackson in the 2nd round but is nobody concerned that he was targeted 91 times last year?

Yes he held up great but it does make one think that teams saw something on film that made them feel like they didn't need to gameplan away from him.

Could be wrong but top college corners never really seem to get targeted that much where as Jackson wasn't shied away from

Jackson performed at an elite level last season while being targeted a lot. I don't think that's anything to worry about.

I'm gonna give this draft a C

In my opinion the Packers fared much better than that, especially considering they were able to acquire another first round pick in 2019 as well.

Hopefully Allison and Trevor Davis are pushed off the roster by Clark and the 3 rookies

In my opinion Clark is a long shot to make the roster.

I think Quentin Rollins has a chance to be a very good free safety. He has very good ball skills he's just a bit slow as a corner as a safety that deficiency would be lesser. Funny thing is he was rated as the number 4 safety by Mike mayock while Randall was his number 1 safety. The Packers took both and played them out of position at cb. I'm betting that Randall turns into a pro bowl caliber safety for the browns. He's gonna get a lot of picks and I feel like Rollins would benefit from a switch to his more natural position

Rollins doesn't have the range to perform at a successful level while lining up at free safety. Slot cornerback is definitely his best position fit.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion Clark is a long shot to make the roster.

Rollins doesn't have the range to perform at a successful level while lining up at free safety. Slot cornerback is definitely his best position fit.

My point is I'd rather have Clark than Allison and Davis. Enough time has been wasted on them. Allison is just a guy not a player you want as a starting wr. I don't see him as any better than Jarret boykin and he may not even be that good. Davis could be a above average returner if he improved his decisions but at this point why would we think that will happen? And he's not worth anything as a wr. I'd take adams Cobb and the 3 rookies and maybe a pick up off of some other teams roster if someone worth it becomes available.

As for Rollins not sure how you can say he doesn't have the range? He only played one season of college football at cb. After which he was projected as a safety by half the NFL. Further his numbers aren't indicative of a guy who doesn't have the range. He ran 4.57, 4.28 20 yard, 7.10 3 cone, 14 reps, 36 5 in vert. He definitely does at least for the Packers currently. Clinton Dix ran 4.58, 4.16, 7.16, 11 reps, 33 in vert. So he's very similar to the teams current starter with the only difference being I'd say he's a tad more athletic overall and a tad smaller. He's also got way better ball skills than Clinton Dix. I hope they give him a shot to succeed at his best position but we'll see. They never gave Randall that shot but I get why he's a crazy person. But Rollins seems very smart reasonable and well well adjusted

D

Deleted member 6794

My point is I'd rather have Clark than Allison and Davis. Enough time has been wasted on them. Allison is just a guy not a player you want as a starting wr. I don't see him as any better than Jarret boykin and he may not even be that good. Davis could be a above average returner if he improved his decisions but at this point why would we think that will happen? And he's not worth anything as a wr. I'd take adams Cobb and the 3 rookies and maybe a pick up off of some other teams roster if someone worth it becomes available.

As for Rollins not sure how you can say he doesn't have the range? He only played one season of college football at cb. After which he was projected as a safety by half the NFL. Further his numbers aren't indicative of a guy who doesn't have the range. He ran 4.57, 4.28 20 yard, 7.10 3 cone, 14 reps, 36 5 in vert. He definitely does at least for the Packers currently. Clinton Dix ran 4.58, 4.16, 7.16, 11 reps, 33 in vert. So he's very similar to the teams current starter with the only difference being I'd say he's a tad more athletic overall and a tad smaller. He's also got way better ball skills than Clinton Dix. I hope they give him a shot to succeed at his best position but we'll see. They never gave Randall that shot but I get why he's a crazy person. But Rollins seems very smart reasonable and well well adjusted

If Allison can replicate his performance vs. the Bengals last season more consistantly I would definitely prefer him over Clark and the rookies in 2018. I agree that Davis doesn't offer anything as a receiver but the Packers should first find an adequate replacement for him as a returner before getting rid of him.

Rollins wasn't an athlete freak before suffering a torn Achilles and I'm quite sure that injury would prevent him of putting up those numbers again. He's not a fit to line up at free safety.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see Rollins make it, but he's had a rough go lately. I don't see him getting more athletic after an Achilles rupture. I don't even think he makes this roster this year.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt Rollins makes the roster.

I think Allison makes the roster, primarily because he knows the playbook so well. Rodgers trusts him. The rookies might have more talent, but if they don't know the plays, they won't see the field. So as of now, unless Yancey or Clark really surprise, Allison is a pretty good bet to be on the opening day roster.

WR:
Adams
Cobb
Allison
Moore
EQSB
Clark/Yancey/Davis

Typically WR's show you what they have by their 3rd year. If Davis doesn't show it, then he's gone. But I don't know if we have a returner to replace him...Jaire Alexander can do it, but you need at least one more. Maybe Ty Montgomery can do it. Not sure who else on our roster has the capability. So if we don't have a suitable returner, I imagine Davis makes the roster again. Could also see EQSB not make it. He's so boom or bust to me.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think Valdes-Scantling has a shot at the 53. Practice squad guy for sure imo.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully Allison and Trevor Davis are pushed off the roster by Clark and the 3 rookies

Agree on Davis, but I think Davis and Cobb get pushed. Cobb is either gonna have to take a huge pay cut this off season, or decide to be a returner. I can easily see a situation where he is #4 or #5 at WR on the depth chart, and we aren't paying what's the number 10 Million for a 4 or a 5.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt Rollins makes the roster.

I think Allison makes the roster, primarily because he knows the playbook so well. Rodgers trusts him. The rookies might have more talent, but if they don't know the plays, they won't see the field. So as of now, unless Yancey or Clark really surprise, Allison is a pretty good bet to be on the opening day roster.

WR:
Adams
Cobb
Allison
Moore
EQSB
Clark/Yancey/Davis

Typically WR's show you what they have by their 3rd year. If Davis doesn't show it, then he's gone. But I don't know if we have a returner to replace him...Jaire Alexander can do it, but you need at least one more. Maybe Ty Montgomery can do it. Not sure who else on our roster has the capability. So if we don't have a suitable returner, I imagine Davis makes the roster again. Could also see EQSB not make it. He's so boom or bust to me.

Tramon Williams can do it as well

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're OK with Cobb, Adams, and 4 rookies? Clark's handful of games really don't count. Better hope neither of the first 2 go down.

Do you think Allison is much better than the rookies? I guess we'll see but I'm guessing the rookies are better than him if not now but certainly come the final quarter of the season if they get some game experience in the the first 3 quarters of the season

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you think Allison is much better than the rookies? I guess we'll see but I'm guessing the rookies are better than him if not now but certainly come the final quarter of the season if they get some game experience in the the first 3 quarters of the season
Thing is you have to play the first 3/4 of the season and win most of those games. He is better now, Sept? probably has more "trust" with AR12. Will take at least the bye week for the rookies to pass him in the playbook, if at all. If it comes to a coin toss for the final 53, of the 9 hopefuls, EQ and Allison probably have the only trade value. Then at best a 7th round conditional.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I really like all 3 of our rookie WR's, but people have to look at the history of the position in Green Bay and accept the fact that they probably won't step right in and be starters, nor will they contribute a whole lot in 2018. It will take some time and during that time a guy like Allison will be relied on. Who knows, maybe this could even be Allison's breakout year? Again, I like the potential of the 3 rookies, but my concern is still 2018 and are Adams, Cobb and Allison going to stay healthy?

D

Deleted member 6794

Typically WR's show you what they have by their 3rd year. If Davis doesn't show it, then he's gone. But I don't know if we have a returner to replace him...Jaire Alexander can do it, but you need at least one more. Maybe Ty Montgomery can do it. Not sure who else on our roster has the capability. So if we don't have a suitable returner, I imagine Davis makes the roster again.

I don't believe the Packers plan on using Alexander on returns. Montgomery might present an option returning kickoffs but he's definitely not a fit on punts. Therefore I believe Davis will make the roster again based on his special teams performance.

Agree on Davis, but I think Davis and Cobb get pushed. Cobb is either gonna have to take a huge pay cut this off season, or decide to be a returner. I can easily see a situation where he is #4 or #5 at WR on the depth chart, and we aren't paying what's the number 10 Million for a 4 or a 5.

The Packers don't have any other receiver on the roster best suited to play in the slot. Therefore Cobb will definitely make the roster and most likely his contract won't be renegotiated.

Tramon Williams can do it as well

Williams was a decent punt returner early in his career but he's too old for the job now. In addition he has only returned two punts for a total of one yard over the past seven seasons.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Williams was a decent punt returner early in his career but he's too old for the job now. In addition he has only returned two punts for a total of one yard over the past seven seasons.
are you trying to say he's due to break free?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I really like all 3 of our rookie WR's, but people have to look at the history of the position in Green Bay and accept the fact that they probably won't step right in and be starters, nor will they contribute a whole lot in 2018. It will take some time and during that time a guy like Allison will be relied on. Who knows, maybe this could even be Allison's breakout year? Again, I like the potential of the 3 rookies, but my concern is still 2018 and are Adams, Cobb and Allison going to stay healthy?

I tend to agree but I admit St Brown has me intrigued. There were A LOT of people having him go in the third round so there's our third round or higher pick. I know he dropped and 32 NFL GMs passed on him several times and there is a reason for that obviously but my hope is that lots of them had him rated as a 3rd round talent but shied away due to family issues or something like that. If he truly is a 6th round talent he had a lot of people fooled.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I tend to agree but I admit St Brown has me intrigued. There were A LOT of people having him go in the third round so there's our third round or higher pick. I know he dropped and 32 NFL GMs passed on him several times and there is a reason for that obviously but my hope is that lots of them had him rated as a 3rd round talent but shied away due to family issues or something like that. If he truly is a 6th round talent he had a lot of people fooled.
EQ was one of the first WR's I looked at when I started researching the draft months ago and I really liked him then. Now, I REALLY like him, not just because he is a Packer, but I have read a lot more things that I like about him. Then, I come back down to earth (partially) and remember Malachi Dupre, Charles Johnson and David Clowney. WR's that were mid to later rounders that I was sure were the real deal and pffffft.

But yes, EQ has me very intrigued due to his size, speed, IQ and route running skills. If he and AR can get some chemistry going, I could see this guy being really good.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Looking back to the 2015 draft class, I found something really interesting. Any corner taken after Demarious Randall, that has been even semi-productive in the NFL has been traded by the team that drafted them. Demarious Randall traded to the Browns. Eric Rowe traded to the Patriots. Ronald Darby traded to the Eagles. PJ Williams traded to Tampa Bay. Trae Waynes and Byron Jones were taken before Demarious Randall and still with their respective teams. Marcus Peters was taken before Demarious Randall and traded to the Rams. Though IMO Randall had no business going in the first round, the evaluation of talent was actually somewhat spot on with him considering the talent level evaluated. The biggest bomb of this CB draft class would be Kevin Johnson taken #16 overall by the Texans.

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not addressing pass rush is a head scratcher.

It doesn't take nostrodomus to see that next years draft will be all about desperation at OLB, and pass rush in general.

Burks is another WTF pick. His athleticism is great, but his football tape was awful - I mean OMG awful. I hope he turns out, but I don't know how a guy who is that bad on tape even gets drafted let alone in the 3rd round.

I wanted Ted gone, and absolutely wanted Capers run out of town; but, I don't think we did near enough to really contend this year...

Hence, another wasted year off of Rodgers career.

Members online

Latest posts