2017 Packers 53-Man Roster (Play GM)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
While I would agree that Richard Rodgers hasn't locked down the #3 TE spot, I think he has a pretty firm hold on it for a few reasons. First, injuries. You never know what could happen with Marty or Lance and the Packers know just how valuable depth and experience is at the TE position. Which brings in reason #2, Experience. RR knows the Packers offense and even more important, Aaron Rodgers has established chemistry with him. I don't think there is much question that the Packers FA acquisitions are the #1 and #2 TE's, but Mike McCarthy values a guy like RR that has a solid grasp of the offense and can be brought in on any given down.

Has Richard Rodgers been a great TE? No, but unless someone else really shows something special in the preseason at the TE position and special teams (that added value could push RR out), if the Packers decide to carry 3 TE's, which I think they will, it's going to be pretty tough to beat out a guy for the #3 spot, that has been pretty reliable over the last 3 years.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I would agree that Richard Rodgers hasn't locked down the #3 TE spot, I think he has a pretty firm hold on it for a few reasons. First, injuries. You never know what could happen with Marty or Lance and the Packers know just how valuable depth and experience is at the TE position. Which brings in reason #2, Experience. RR knows the Packers offense and even more important, Aaron Rodgers has established chemistry with him. I don't think there is much question that the Packers FA acquisitions are the #1 and #2 TE's, but Mike McCarthy values a guy like RR that has a solid grasp of the offense and can be brought in on any given down.

Has Richard Rodgers been a great TE? No, but unless someone else really shows something special in the preseason at the TE position and special teams (that added value could push RR out), if the Packers decide to carry 3 TE's, which I think they will, it's going to be pretty tough to beat out a guy for the #3 spot, that has been pretty reliable over the last 3 years.

I agree that the Packers will definitely carey three tight ends on the roster but bekieve that Beau Sandland might have the ability to move past Rodgers on the depth chart to secure a spot on the roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I agree that the Packers will definitely carey three tight ends on the roster but bekieve that Beau Sandland might have the ability to move past Rodgers on the depth chart to secure a spot on the roster.

Quite possible if Beau looks good on Special Teams and is a capable TE. Since the #3 TE probably won't see a lot of action on offense, the Packers will definitely place a premium on a guy that can play special teams. I am not sure how much RR has played on ST's, but I imagine he is going to see a lot of work there in practice and the preseason to see what he can contribute.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am not sure how much RR has played on ST's, but I imagine he is going to see a lot of work there in practice and the preseason to see what he can contribute.

Rodgers played a total of 102 snaps (23.0%) on special teams last season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Rodgers played a total of 102 snaps (23.0%) on special teams last season.

Thanks Captain. When I read that I thought maybe he was lining up to block for FG's and extra points? But then I remembered that his blocking has come into question, so I watched a Youtube video of the game winning kick against Dallas. I never noticed Julius Peppers and Datone Jones were out there blocking on the far right (Peppers) and left (Jones) ends. Guess we will be looking for new bookends for FG's and XtraPoints.

Didn't spot RR out there on that play, so guessing he is used for kickoff coverage?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Waters left the field for the training room today. Hopefully it's nothing major.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No, you don't have that quite right. They get hurt fairly often, but you're NEVER allowed to mention it! ;)

Mention what? :speechless:

Oh :D

I don't think reporting an injury is viewed much differently by people, but using an injury as an excuse for poor play or a loss.....now that will be viewed across many spectrums.

At least we have 6 weeks, 3 days, 2 hrs and 14 minutes to figure it out. :)

D

Deleted member 6794

Didn't spot RR out there on that play, so guessing he is used for kickoff coverage?

Unfortunately I don't have any information about which special team units Rodgers mostly lined up for.

No, you don't have that quite right. They get hurt fairly often, but you're NEVER allowed to mention it! ;)

The fans whining about injuries and using them as a lame excuse for the Packers falling short completely fail to realize that the team will suffer a certain amount of injuries this and every other season going forward as well.

Therefore it's essential to figure out a way to overcome players missing time, in the best case by having quality depth on the roster. Unfortunately the Packers weren't able to achieve that last season and don't seem primed to handle it any better on the defensive side of the ball entering 2017.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THAT is shocking. Our CB's NEVER get hurt! :rolleyes:
I think he was hurt before wasn't he? Maybe I was dreaming or something, but I swore I caught a snippet of joe whitt talking about the DB's before they ever even had a TC practice. Yesterday was the first day right? I do have to ask, because it seems I miss entire weeks around here lately with how much is going on, but i thought I had that part right. Anyway, he was saying that Waters was having a great offseason until is incident? never elaborated, never said what it was, but I just assumed he had an injury, and this must have occurred in OTA's or out of football because i heard this before TC opened up yesterday, but no details were ever given. Just an incident or maybe he said situation? can't remember the exact word, it was just vague

D

Deleted member 6794

I think he was hurt before wasn't he? Maybe I was dreaming or something, but I swore I caught a snippet of joe whitt talking about the DB's before they ever even had a TC practice. Yesterday was the first day right? I do have to ask, because it seems I miss entire weeks around here lately with how much is going on, but i thought I had that part right. Anyway, he was saying that Waters was having a great offseason until is incident? never elaborated, never said what it was, but I just assumed he had an injury, and this must have occurred in OTA's or out of football because i heard this before TC opened up yesterday, but no details were ever given. Just an incident or maybe he said situation? can't remember the exact word, it was just vague

Waters suffered a minor arm injury during a minicamp practice in June.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have any information about which special team units Rodgers mostly lined up for.

The fans whining about injuries and using them as a lame excuse for the Packers falling short completely fail to realize that the team will suffer a certain amount of injuries this and every other season going forward as well.

Therefore it's essential to figure out a way to overcome players missing time, in the best case by having quality depth on the roster. Unfortunately the Packers weren't able to achieve that last season and don't seem primed to handle it any better on the defensive side of the ball entering 2017.

There's that famous sense of humor!

Scotland Yard

What the hell is going on around here!
Reaction score
  • QB: Rodgers, Hundley (2)
  • WR: Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Davis, Yancey, Dupre (6)
  • TE: Bennett, Kendricks, Rodgers (3)
  • RB: Montgomery, Williams, Jones, Mays, Ripkowski (5)
  • OT: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Spriggs, Murphy (4)
  • OG: Evans, Taylor, Patrick (3)
  • C: Lindsley, Amechia, Barclay (3)
  • DL: Daniels, Clark, Francoise, Lowry, Adams (5)
  • OLB: Matthews, Perry, Fackrell, Biegel, Elliott, Calvin (6)
  • ILB: Ryan, Martinez, Thomas (3)
  • S: Dix, Burnett, Jones, Brice, Evans(5)
  • CB: King, House, Randall, Rollins, Pipkins (5)
  • ST: Crosby, Vogel, Hart (3)

My final cuts come down to keeping Barclay over Gunter and R. Rodgers over Janis.

First, I kept Barclay because I just believe House and King are going to play a lot, so, I don't see Gunter playing much anyway. Gunter is just too slow, I've got Pipkins beating him out for a roster spot. Also, Lindsley has had injury problems and I don't want to count on Amechia or Patrick to play C in 2017. Barclay is at least serviceable as a C, so, he gives the Packers a year to coach up Amechia for the backup role in 2018.

Second, I can't defend keeping R. Rodgers other than the fact he's the 3rd TE. That's it. So, if they kept Janis for a gunner and cut Rodgers I could see it.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
  • QB: Rodgers, Hundley (2)
  • WR: Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Davis, Yancey, Dupre (6)
  • TE: Bennett, Kendricks, Rodgers (3)
  • RB: Montgomery, Williams, Jones, Mays, Ripkowski (5)
  • OT: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Spriggs, Murphy (4)
  • OG: Evans, Taylor, Patrick (3)
  • C: Lindsley, Amechia, Barclay (3)
  • DL: Daniels, Clark, Francoise, Lowry, Adams (5)
  • OLB: Matthews, Perry, Fackrell, Biegel, Elliott, Calvin (6)
  • ILB: Ryan, Martinez, Thomas (3)
  • S: Dix, Burnett, Jones, Brice, Evans(5)
  • CB: King, House, Randall, Rollins, Pipkins (5)
  • ST: Crosby, Vogel, Hart (3)
My final cuts come down to keeping Barclay over Gunter and R. Rodgers over Janis.

First, I kept Barclay because I just believe House and King are going to play a lot, so, I don't see Gunter playing much anyway. Gunter is just too slow, I've got Pipkins beating him out for a roster spot. Also, Lindsley has had injury problems and I don't want to count on Amechia or Patrick to play C in 2017. Barclay is at least serviceable as a C, so, he gives the Packers a year to coach up Amechia for the backup role in 2018.

Second, I can't defend keeping R. Rodgers other than the fact he's the 3rd TE. That's it. So, if they kept Janis for a gunner and cut Rodgers I could see it.

I like it. I'd prefer to see a 6th DL for the sake of depth over the long haul, but I think this is a pretty good guess overall.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, indeed. I was exposed as a whiner for thinking that injuries played a role in last season's struggle. What more can I say?
Looks like posters HERE aren't the only ones that thought that:
Cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr. spent 2016 crocheting his unit together as injuries mounted in the second half of the season. His lineups changed from week to week even if the results did not. The Packers finished the season ranked 31st in pass defense.
But a hand that was once forced by injury is now free for improvisation.

D

Deleted member 6794

What a bunch of whiners.

Once again, the Packers were missing a single player who started in week 1 on the defensive side of the ball entering the NFCCG. In addition the team had 19 weeks to somehow adequately replace Shields but wasn't able to. The fans and beat writers blaming injuries for coming up short for sure sound like a bunch of whiners to me.

But don't worry, I get it. I can already hear some of you listing either Matthews or Perry missing extended time in 2017 for the Packers not winning the Super Bowl although it was pretty obvious to everyone the team didn't have enough quality depth at the position to even deal with a single player being lost. :rolleyes:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Once again, the Packers were missing a single player who started in week 1 on the defensive side of the ball entering the NFCCG. In addition the team had 19 weeks to somehow adequately replace Shields but wasn't able to. The fans and beat writers blaming injuries for coming up short for sure sound like a bunch of whiners to me.

But don't worry, I get it. I can already hear some of you listing either Matthews or Perry missing extended time in 2017 for the Packers not winning the Super Bowl although it was pretty obvious to everyone the team didn't have enough quality depth at the position to even deal with a single player being lost. :rolleyes:

Look Captain... everyone and their mother knows that the Packers dealt with a rash of injuries at the cornerback position. This doesn't absolve the front office of, say, letting Hayward leave. But it's perfectly reasonable to recognize the effect that it had and to point out that it's unlikely to happen again, where so many injuries are concentrated to one position. It certainly was not the only reason the Packers struggled to defend the pass, but it was a reason.

I'm sorry it makes you so upset when anyone brings that up. However, I suggest you get used to it as literally everyone else can see the logic in considering that factor, including objective 3rd parties. Why are you so defensive about it? Everyone is a bunch of whiners if they don't ignore the injuries like you? Super reasonable. How about everyone expecting the FO to somehow replace a #1 corner during the season is delusional. Is that helpful?

D

Deleted member 6794

Look Captain... everyone and their mother knows that the Packers dealt with a rash of injuries at the cornerback position. This doesn't absolve the front office of, say, letting Hayward leave. But it's perfectly reasonable to recognize the effect that it had and to point out that it's unlikely to happen again, where so many injuries are concentrated to one position. It certainly was not the only reason the Packers struggled to defend the pass, but it was a reason.

I'm sorry it makes you so upset when anyone brings that up. However, I suggest you get used to it as literally everyone else can see the logic in considering that factor, including objective 3rd parties. Why are you so defensive about it? Everyone is a bunch of whiners if they don't ignore the injuries like you? Super reasonable. How about everyone expecting the FO to somehow replace a #1 corner during the season is delusional. Is that helpful?

Well Dantés, there's no doubt the Packers suffered a ton of injuries at cornerback but I don't consider it to be a valid excuse for the team coming up short, especially as Thompson had 19 weeks to somehow make up for the loss of Shields but decided it was best to stand pat while it was obvious to everyone else the team desperately needed improvement at the position.

I'm defensive about it because it results in the front office being let off the hook while in my opinion they were clearly responsible for the unit's shortcomings.

BTW letting Hayward walk in free agency was the right decision at the time, of course it doesn't look like a smart move in hindsight.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looking at our RB chart is pretty disheartening. TyM followed by a bunch of nobodies and then Rip.
And I don't even want to predict how our CBs will perform.

This level of gambling on draft and develop is plain lunacy.

D

Deleted member 6794

Looking at our RB chart is pretty disheartening. TyM followed by a bunch of nobodies and then Rip.
And I don't even want to predict how our CBs will perform.

This level of gambling on draft and develop is plain lunacy.

While I agree about being concerned about the cornerback and I might add outside linebacker I'm fine with the depth chart at running back.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts