2017 Packers 53-Man Roster (Play GM)

Reaction score
I'm not saying he's an elite gunner. But he's the best one the Packers have had in recent seasons, so I can't see him leaving unless someone proves capable of replacing him in that role (which would not be totally unsurprising, to be clear). Yancey is physically cut out for the role. I have no idea how much ST he played in college. Should Janis' ST ability be replaced in camp, I would guess we're looking at Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Davis, Yancey, and Dupre to open the season with a decision coming on Allison after his week one suspension.
I guess it comes down to whether you think the team will value a good gunner who has no future as a player at his position over the development of a player who could but might not have a future at his position and could become a good gunner. If I were on the personnel team, I'd go for the latter over the former every day. As to whether we keep 6 or 7 WRs on the roster, I think this year that's an even harder question to answer due to the new TEs and Monty being at RB. That's a whole lot of receiving options, so 7WRs seems more of an outside chance than usual, but I still think 7 is likely. Not the best option, I should stress, just a likely one.

D

Deleted member 6794

I guess it comes down to whether you think the team will value a good gunner who has no future as a player at his position over the development of a player who could but might not have a future at his position and could become a good gunner. If I were on the personnel team, I'd go for the latter over the former every day.

The Packers could develop a receiver not making the game day roster on the practice squad as well while having Janis play on special teams though.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I guess it comes down to whether you think the team will value a good gunner who has no future as a player at his position over the development of a player who could but might not have a future at his position and could become a good gunner. If I were on the personnel team, I'd go for the latter over the former every day. As to whether we keep 6 or 7 WRs on the roster, I think this year that's an even harder question to answer due to the new TEs and Monty being at RB. That's a whole lot of receiving options, so 7WRs seems more of an outside chance than usual, but I still think 7 is likely. Not the best option, I should stress, just a likely one.

If the coaching staff feels like the replacement at gunner for Janis is a liability, then the choice is clear-- you sew up your ST unit and cut loose a younger player if need be. This is a team built to win now. Terrible special teams play is a great way to undercut a team's chance at success.

However, if the coaching staff feels like a younger player can competently replace Janis' production in that role, then I agree with the logic of keeping the player who still has a chance to develop into an offensive contributor.

Reaction score
If the coaching staff feels like the replacement at gunner for Janis is a liability, then the choice is clear-- you sew up your ST unit and cut loose a younger player if need be. This is a team built to win now. Terrible special teams play is a great way to undercut a team's chance at success.

However, if the coaching staff feels like a younger player can competently replace Janis' production in that role, then I agree with the logic of keeping the player who still has a chance to develop into an offensive contributor.
I guess I also highly undervalue Janis' contribution on special teams. As I said earlier, I feel like he made great separation and tackles once or twice in about a half dozen games last year. On some of those, he was merely the first of a few open guys to get to the returner, on others he was solely responsible for huge losses for the returning team. I just do not think that perhaps 3-5 amazing solo tackles earns a roster spot, when the difference is perhaps maybe a cumulative 30-50 return yards per each of those games for the other team.

Reaction score
The Packers could develop a receiver not making the game day roster on the practice squad as well while having Janis play on special teams though.
I'm predicating this on my hope that both Yancey and Dupree show enough to merit a roster spot, granted. Also, further, that both Allison and Davis show enough development to keep them around as well. If one of those four flames out, then maybe Janis is really the best option. I'd consider that worst case scenario, though. Janis is like the WR version of a 73 Nova.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I guess I also highly undervalue Janis' contribution on special teams. As I said earlier, I feel like he made great separation and tackles once or twice in about a half dozen games last year. On some of those, he was merely the first of a few open guys to get to the returner, on others he was solely responsible for huge losses for the returning team. I just do not think that perhaps 3-5 amazing solo tackles earns a roster spot, when the difference is perhaps maybe a cumulative 30-50 return yards per each of those games for the other team.

He was excellent in 2015, and less so in 2016. But the point remains, it's about what shows up in this year's camp. If the next guy up is a liability, I don't think you can make that move. It remains to be seen.

D

Deleted member 6794

Janis even made an impact as a gunner when he didn't register a tackle as opponents constantly double teamed him on punts.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Janis even made an impact as a gunner when he didn't register a tackle as opponents constantly double teamed him on punts.

In fairness, aren't nearly all gunners routinely double teamed on punt returns?

Reaction score
Exactly what I was going to say. That's a contribution a tackling dummy could have made (sass meant as friendly banter, not douchieness - I know it can be hard to tell via text)

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think so but would have to double check on it. I'm quite sure opponents never used two blockers to contain the gunner on the opposite side of Janis.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not to beat the Janis drum to death, but Janis had a pretty special year on special teams in 2015 and I think that carried him for another year. In 2016 he really wasn't that special. I remember a muffed kickoff and him totally looking lost at the goal line against Washington, as well as reading about times when he either didn't make a block or took himself completely out of position to get in on a tackle in other games. Yes, he has some skills where others don't on special teams, but I don't think he assured himself of a roster spot in 2017 with anything he did last year. Unless he looks like he did in 2015 on special teams and/or progresses as a WR, I don't see him making the final 53.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not to beat the Janis drum to death, but Janis had a pretty special year on special teams in 2015 and I think that carried him for another year. In 2016 he really wasn't that special.

It's true that Janis struggled on special teams early in 2016 but significantly improved over the course of the season.

Reaction score
It's true that Janis struggled on special teams early in 2016 but significantly improved over the course of the season.
Significantly? Honestly, it always seemed to me that his success came as a result of his speed, which is special. Aside from that, his overall football IQ just seems so low that he doesn't really demonstrate aptitude at much that requires more than "run to ball."

D

Deleted member 6794

Significantly? Honestly, it always seemed to me that his success came as a result of his speed, which is special. Aside from that, his overall football IQ just seems so low that he doesn't really demonstrate aptitude at much that requires more than "run to ball."

I was solely talking about his performance on special teams.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

If the stats I am looking at are accurate. Janis had:

2015: Ave. 29 yards/kickoff return.
2016: Ave. 19.8 yards/kickoff return.

2015: 13 combined tackles on ST's.
2016: 5 combined tackles on ST's.

I still don't see anything special about his 2016.

Edit: This shows Janis as having made 8 ST's tackles in 2016, but if you look at where that ranks him....still not special.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/player-stat/defense-special-teams-total-tackles

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

If the stats I am looking at are accurate. Janis had:

2015: Ave. 29 yards/kickoff return.
2016: Ave. 19.8 yards/kickoff return.

2015: 13 combined tackles on ST's.
2016: 5 combined tackles on ST's.

I still don't see anything special about his 2016.

You're right that Janis significantly regressed as a kickoff returner. I don't have any access to numbers about tackles on special teams though but had the impression that he improved in coverage late in the season.

Reaction score
You're right that Janis significantly regressed as a kickoff returner. I don't have any access to numbers about tackles on special teams though but had the impression that he improved in coverage late in the season.
I remembered it differently, but my memory is suspect at best and seditious at worst.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
To get back to the larger point of the roster, how many spots are really, seriously up for grabs? I consider the following to be locked in or very close, either due to recent draft status or their actual importance on the field:
  • QB: Rodgers, Hundley (2)
  • RB: Montgomery, Williams, Jones, Ripkowski (4)
  • TE: Bennett, Kendricks (2)
  • WR: Nelson, Adams, Cobb, Yancey (4)
  • OL: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Taylor, Linsley, Spriggs, Evans, (6)
  • DL: Daniels, Clark, Jean-Francoise, Lowry, Adams (5)
  • ED: Perry, Matthews, Fackrell, Elliott, Biegel (5)
  • ILB: Ryan, Martinez, Thomas (3)
  • CB: House, King, Randall, Rollins (4)
  • S: Clinton-Dix, Burnett, Jones, Brice (4)
  • ST: Crosby, Vogel, Hart (3)
That accounts for 41 roster spots, and 12 that would be in contention. That would leave notables Davante Mays, Richard Rodgers, Beau Sandland, Trevor Davis, Malachi Dupre, Jeff Janis, Don Barclay, Kofi Amichia, Lucas Patrick, Kyle Murphy, Christian Ringo, Brian Price, Ladarius Gunter, Demetri Goodson, and Marwin Evans fighting for spots, among many others obviously. At least 1 spot would go to another TE, at least 2 to more WR's, at least 2 at more OL, at least 1 to another DL, at least 1 to another LB, and at least 1 to another DB. That would mean that 4 "at large" spots would remain for whichever player at whichever position does the best job of distinguishing themselves. I have no doubts that the staff would carry 5 RB or 7 WR or 10 OL or what have you in order to accommodate what they believe to be the best roster.

Reaction score
RB: Montgomery, Williams, Jones, Ripkowski (4)
I'd take Rip off of that. I love Rip, and think he's a valuable addition to the team, but it is also feasible that if they are just dead set on keeping 3 RBs on the roster and one on the PS that Rip doesnt make it. Very unlikely, and would require multiple rookies looking just amazing, but likely enough that I wouldn't consider him a lock.

Which I guess brings up the question with which I should have led - what degree of certainty constitutes a lock? 75%? 95%?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
To get back to the larger point of the roster, how many spots are really, seriously up for grabs? I consider the following to be locked in or very close, either due to recent draft status or their actual importance on the field:
  • QB: Rodgers, Hundley (2)
  • TE: Bennett, Kendricks (2)
  • OL: Bakhtiari, Bulaga, Taylor, Linsley, Spriggs, Evans, (6)
  • DL: Daniels, Clark, Jean-Francoise, Lowry, Adams (5)
  • ED: Perry, Matthews, Fackrell, Elliott, Biegel (5)
  • ILB: Ryan, Martinez, Thomas (3)
  • CB: House, King, Randall, Rollins (4)
  • S: Clinton-Dix, Burnett, Jones, Brice (4)
  • ST: Crosby, Vogel, Hart (3)
That accounts for 41 roster spots, and 12 that would be in contention. That would leave notables Davante Mays, Richard Rodgers, Beau Sandland, Trevor Davis, Malachi Dupre, Jeff Janis, Don Barclay, Kofi Amichia, Lucas Patrick, Kyle Murphy, Christian Ringo, Brian Price, Ladarius Gunter, Demetri Goodson, and Marwin Evans fighting for spots, among many others obviously. At least 1 spot would go to another TE, at least 2 to more WR's, at least 2 at more OL, at least 1 to another DL, at least 1 to another LB, and at least 1 to another DB. That would mean that 4 "at large" spots would remain for whichever player at whichever position does the best job of distinguishing themselves. I have no doubts that the staff would carry 5 RB or 7 WR or 10 OL or what have you in order to accommodate what they believe to be the best roster.

Sadly, injuries will open up a couple of those spots. Couple that with at least one or two surprise cuts from your 41 and all of your 15 notables could make the 53. Going through that list of 15, I would say Mays (PS), RR (53), Sandland (PS), Davis (53), Dupre (53), Janis (cut), Barclay (53), Amichia (PS), Patrick (PS), Murphy (53), Ringo (53), Price (bubble), Gunter (bubble), Goodson (cut), Evans (53).

There will be a few UDFA's not on your lists that end up making the final 53 as well..

D

Deleted member 6794

I consider the following to be locked in or very close, either due to recent draft status or their actual importance on the field:

I don't consider Jones and Yancey to be locks to make the team.

I'd take Rip off of that. I love Rip, and think he's a valuable addition to the team, but it is also feasible that if they are just dead set on keeping 3 RBs on the roster and one on the PS that Rip doesnt make it.

I'm absolutely convinced Ripkowski will end up being on the roster entering the season.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd take Rip off of that. I love Rip, and think he's a valuable addition to the team, but it is also feasible that if they are just dead set on keeping 3 RBs on the roster and one on the PS that Rip doesnt make it. Very unlikely, and would require multiple rookies looking just amazing, but likely enough that I wouldn't consider him a lock.

Which I guess brings up the question with which I should have led - what degree of certainty constitutes a lock? 75%? 95%?

highly unlikely. MM loves his fullbacks. Some even wonder if he won't keep Kerridge as well, that I doubt. But unless Rip is injured, he is a lock on the 53.

D

Deleted member 6794

Going through that list of 15, I would say Mays (PS), RR (53), Sandland (PS), Davis (53), Dupre (53), Janis (cut), Barclay (53), Amichia (PS), Patrick (PS), Murphy (53), Ringo (53), Price (bubble), Gunter (bubble), Goodson (cut), Evans (53).

Goodson tore his ACL late last season and therefore will possibly end up on the PUP list for the start of the season.

Sky King

Reaction score
Early-on as a gunner Janis was beating several of the opponents across from him like a drum. Just look at the highlights from the Dallas game a couple seasons back. He's apparently not an easy guy to block. He began to command double-teams more regularly and I would guess the other teams' best at blocking gunners are the ones that are placed in front of him. The other gunner or somebody in-between the gunners better be making more tackles than Janis. Somebody's not even getting blocked as long as a gunner is commanding double-teams and, hopefully, both of them. Janis is not a bad KO returner, either. And he got nothing from Division III competition that would adequately prepare him for the NFL at any position. But he is a rare athlete.

He's a ST player who also happens to play WR once in a while, same as Goodson is a ST'er/DB in a pinch and Jayrone Elliott was also a ST'er/OLB last season (and who now must step-up into a more significant role on D). Goodson will be fortunate to recover quickly enough physically to be kept on the 53 at the end of camp since it would mostly be for his ST's value. The best ST players may just happen to be the "extra" player at a certain roster position. I wouldn't read too much into any position group being a player too heavy if any of them have value on ST's. My guess is that Janis is kept around for another season. His contributions as a WR may not be the deciding factor unless some rookie WR comes out of nowhere to fill-out both roles better than he can.

The way some posters write about Janis you would think that he's seeing their wives and girlfriends on the side. :coffee:

H

HardRightEdge

Maybe they should be after the way last season unfolded though.
Well, there are a lot of things done that I don't agree with. Not firing Capers after the Seattle collapse would lead a fairly long list. The question before the court was how many RBs would they carry on the roster. If the top two are fit as a fiddle going into week 1 and the #3 shows no special teams utility, then they might very well repeat that mistake. They can always sign a Benson or Michael in desperation. :confused: