2017 Draft/FA Needs - Ranked

Status
Not open for further replies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm still keeping my fingers crossed Raji comes back in great shape and motivated! He would help instantly.
Still don't trust that guy. Would only offer vet minimum and wouldn't figure on anything other than spot backup duty.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Order assuming we pick up a solid CB in FA, restructure CM3 contract or trade him, sign Lang or Tretter, sign Lacy to a small one year prove it deal, give Perry, Cook and Hyde fair deals.

1./2. CB- Desmond King/Adoree' Jackson/Cordrea Tankersley
1./2. OLB- Solomon Thomas/TJ Watt/Tim Williams/Taco Charlton

If we can't retain Lang or Tretter:

3. G/C- Ethan Pocic/Jordan Morgan

If we cant retain Cook:
3. TE- Evan Engram

If we can't retain Lacy at a one year cheap prove it deal:
3. RB- Brian Hill/ 4. James Conner

4. DE/OLB- Jordan Willis (love this kid as a KState fan)/Hunter Dimick

5.6.7- Mix of G/C/RB/TE as needed based on what happens in FA.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Jared Cook any better than Jermichael Finley in terms of dropped passes. I remember at least 3 drops for Cook in the postseason.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Is Jared Cook any better than Jermichael Finley in terms of dropped passes. I remember at least 3 drops for Cook in the postseason.
Drops were the knock on Cook before this season. Earlier in the post season that was blamed on the quality of QB he had. This game challenged the validity of that view.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will have approximately $36 million in cap space to work with next offseason. Releasing Shields and Starks would add another $12 million of cap space. While that might sound like a ton of money the team will have several positions to address with high priced players.

I thought we only had 20 mil, before any cuts.... 36mil is a much better option. We have a lot of moves we could make.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just for clarity (as others have mentioned) Spotrac has the Packers at 35.5M in space in 2017 before any moves are made.

The following cap casualty candidates (not expecting all or even most would be cut) will add the following totals to that initial figure:

-Matthews: 11.1M (15.2 minus 4.1 in dead money)
-Shields: 9M (12.1 minus 3.1 in dead money)
-Starks: 3M (3.75 minus .75 in dead money)

So technically they stand to have nearly 60M if they want it. I tend to think Matthews is more likely to be restructured or straight kept rather than cut, but I'd move on from the other two for sure (which would mean 47.5M in space).

Certainly they have plenty to keep who they want and make a good acquisition or two in FA. Although we should bear in mind that as the cap rises, cap space won't go as far as it once did. Contracts are getting progressively larger.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmm been doing some thinking , what if TT moves up in the 1st round of the draft and steals Dalvin Cook I wouldnt be mad at something like that. I still think he would be able to steal cb Fabian Moreau out of UCLA 6ft 205lbs 4.3 40 plays good man 2 man beast in press coverage in the 2nd round.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1.) Cornerback: it's obvious we only have 1, and Randall was hurt half the year, and Rollins and Gunter aren't a second option, I also think Shields is done at least in Green Bay.

2.) Running back: Go back to the 1990 Giants. They won because they had a tank and a Ferari in their running game. We have our Ferari, we need to find our tank. If that's re-signing Eddie Lacy great, if not we still need a tank. We can't draft this because the guys coming out have either had injury issues, character issues (i.e. not playing bowl games) or both.

3.) Offensive Line: Lang probably isn't coming back. Bulaga is starting to look like the second coming of the aging Chad Clifton, who yes played great, but through too many injuries. Barclay isn't an answer, I think Spriggs might be good as a starter but we don't know enough yet. The other rookie we drafted (Who's name escapes me) can't even make the active roster half the time.

4.) Tight End: Richard Rodgers is a guy. Cook showed some promise but I don't see him staying or being offered another contract. If we draft here I'm thinking maybe Fumagalli out of Wisconsin might be the best answer, he's the closest thing to Chmura/Jackson/Finley/Koffman etc. coming out IMO.

KeepItOnTheDL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey guys! Former Charger Fan here from San Diego (Packers were my childhood team)
I consider myself a draftnik and consider myself a fairly consistent presence on the Chargers forums for all draft discussions.
Since I now hate the Chargers I'll be looking to do more of the same with you guys!!

My initial thoughts: I need to study the Packers more as I haven't followed them closely in years, but it seems as if they could use a corner, pass rusher, just about any defensive player... but you know ho really has me salivating are the TEs in this draft. Njoku or O.J. Howard are sitting there and I am all about these prospects. IMO they are the best T.E. prospects to come out maybe since Vernon Davis. Njoku is a FREAK athlete that, if I recall correctly, has the 2nd highest high jump for The U football team ever... and is on the cusp of olympic qualifier high jumps.
O.J. plays with similar play speed and is an absolute gem of a run blocker. Very well rounded player.
I know the need for corner weighs heavily, but if you get a chance of one of these two guys I'd have to take my shot.
What do you guys think?
(I know that Cook is a FA)

KeepItOnTheDL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2.) Running back: Go back to the 1990 Giants. They won because they had a tank and a Ferari in their running game. We have our Ferari, we need to find our tank. If that's re-signing Eddie Lacy great, if not we still need a tank. We can't draft this because the guys coming out have either had injury issues, character issues (i.e. not playing bowl games) or both.

Not playing in bowl games (as in Fournette & McCaffery) do not count as character issues. They are making what they feel as the best decision for their future.

I am intrigued with the idea of McCaffery as a Packer, but I feel it is a little redundant with Montgomery back there.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giving up on your team and being selfish and only for you is a character issue. A lot of GMs will see it that way too and scouts.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Giving up on your team and being selfish and only for you is a character issue. A lot of GMs will see it that way too and scouts.
I think most GM's will look right past the sitting out of the bowl games. Both the players involved and the GM's know most of the Bowl Games are meaningless exhibition games. Heck there are 6-6 teams playing in pseudo bowls in front of the janitor and Hotdog vendor.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trade for Joe Haden. Draft Desmond King. Draft an edge rusher in round 1 or 2. Sign Zach Brown ILB. Draft an RB3 in round 3. Draft a Solid backup guard. Draft a TE in middle rounds. Done.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I find it interesting that people keep saying draft player A, THEN draft player B, then pick up player C as a free agent etc etc etc, but don`t you think 31 other teams are thinking along the same lines ?? What pick do we have ? 29 or 30 ? By the time we get there, good players will be long gone. We only really got Rodgers because 23 other teams had more important things to do with their draft picks.
I honestly don`t know what the answer is.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little astounded pass rusher isn't mentioned more often, that'a a far higher concern than anything other than corner I think. Next season the Packers, currently, have Matthews under contract and that's it. Perry played well this year but didn't do much when matthews was out and this was the first year that Perry played through injury consistently. Next season the packers could have a terrible pass rush and that's probably the most valuable part of any defense.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perry and Datone will be resigned. Add in a healthy Matthews, a first or second round pass rusher this year, plus Fackrell and Elliott and that's pretty stacked.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why not? Matthews was injured most of the year. He can still be a game changer. Perry had double digit sacks. Datone Jones has flashed. Fackrell looks like carving himself out a bigger role as a 3rd round pick. Another first or second round pass rusher will leave us strong at the position.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone Jones is a half notch above useless. Perry is inconsistant, Matthews is in decline. So next year bring back the same crew that couldn't get it done this year and expect better?

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Find a potential number one corner. A guy who has strictly played corner his whole life and was THE GUY at his school. No more random experimental picks. And have this CB be a man coverage/press coverage savant. We straight up need a cb like that.

2) SIGN A CB! or trade for one.

everything else will figure itself out.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also think Zach Cunningham out of Vanderbilt is this years " we haven't had a legit ILB in years so maybe draft this guy TT cause he can probably be it"

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

But unfortunately, once again we have some more serious needs elsewhere so drafting a potential QB of the defense is impossible.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Datone Jones is a half notch above useless. Perry is inconsistant, Matthews is in decline. So next year bring back the same crew that couldn't get it done this year and expect better?

Perry finished 1.5 sacks behind Von Miller lol. Matthews wasn't healthy and can still contribute at an elite level once his shoulder heals. Fackrell looks promising. We will add another pass rusher or two through FA/draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts