2017 Draft/FA Needs - Ranked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
With the Packers having Spriggs and Murphy on the roster I don't feel the need to draft another tackle.
With the Packers having Spriggs and Murphy on the roster I don't feel the need to draft another tackle.
My philosophy is we always need a contingency plan at the position that is most vulnerable. In today's game players have to be able to be cross trained at at least 2 positions. Plus, I don't feel like Barclay is an adequate long term solution at either

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For those in the know, what are the strengths and weaknesses in terms of position groups in this year's draft? Is it considered to be an average draft class overall?

I am not "in the know," but I am always trying to get a handle on draft prospects this time of year, so I will offer my 2 cents.

This year's QB class is pretty weak. There will probably be ~3 QBs taken in the first round, but none of them are jaw droppers by any stretch of the imagination.

This draft looks weak in the trenches to me. Both OL and DL are lacking top end talent.

Tons of edge rushers and CB talent this year. A lot of mocks have around 10 DBs (cb and safeties) going in the first round. That's pretty nuts.

Better TE and RB depth this year than previous years.

WR looks alright. Maybe 2 that most would consider franchise guys.

Mind you, pro days and the combine will change everything as always...

A few sites if you'd like to start reading up on guys:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2017/all
http://drafttek.com/2017-NFL-Draft-Prospect-Rankings/Top-QBs.asp
http://walterfootball.com/draft2017QB.php
https://www.draftutopia.com/nfldraftprospects.html

D

Deleted member 6794

I was thinking the same as Poppa San. I'm not sure that anyone will offer starter money to Tretter, meaning, I don't think that's a smart move based on his somewhat limited experience. That likely means that someone desperate may do it but I still think it's in the 25% chance range. If he's gone then yes, we will draft another guard somewhere.

Tretter has performed at a decent level when starting at center therefore I believe a team in need of one will offer him more money than the Packers.

I'm not going to slap a disagree on that... but you know better than making that argument. You know full well that Tretter was the starting center before he got hurt... and you know he was actually slated to be the starter ahead of Linsley in the past as well. We don't know the actual status of Tretter's current injury now either but I wouldn't be at all surprised if he has been brought back more slowly than necessary due to his impending free agency and the fact that Linsley is also a very good center. Now none of this should be construed as me saying that I think Tretter is better than Lang. I'm just calling you out on a glib yet weak argument lol.

Lang has started a total of 94 games for the Packers and has been able to play through several injuries over the past few years. On the other hand Tretter has mostly been sidelined by several ailments during his tenure in Green Bay starting only 10 games.

Don't get me wrong Tretter is a valuable backup but he for sure isn't more valuable to the team as Lang.

I tend to think the Packers are trying harder to re-sign Tretter than they are Lang. I think Lang is being viewed as expendable and the RG position is going to be up for grabs next summer between about 4-5 guys.

That's possible as Lang will turn 30 at the start of next season and most likely will demand significantly more money than Tretter.

My philosophy is we always need a contingency plan at the position that is most vulnerable. In today's game players have to be able to be cross trained at at least 2 positions. Plus, I don't feel like Barclay is an adequate long term solution at either

Barclay won't be back in Green Bay next season. I'm fine with entering the season with four tackles on the roster.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Tretter may be harder to sign than Lang. Not that he will be more expensive but that another team in need may offer start money to him while the Pack probably won't.

UPDATE: After being reported that Tretter just had surgery, this may ease things up a bit if the recovery time takes several months.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Barclay won't be back in Green Bay next season. I'm fine with entering the season with four tackles on the roster.

I agree that it would not be good news if we need Barclay back next year. It would mean we OL injuries or that none of the young guys are ready to step in.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree that it would not be good news if we need Barclay back next year. It would mean we OL injuries or that none of the young guys are ready to step in.

Even if that's the case I guess a late-round draft pick would be a better option than Barclay.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will be a heartbroken Pack fan if Barclay is resigned! It would be great if we draft a Guard late maybe Isaac Asiata from Utah. Very tough blocker with good size excellent run blocker but needs work on pass block. He would be a solid 6th round pick.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
1. I would argue that EDGE is the biggest need on the team. Peppers is likely done in Green Bay, and Matthews is fading. They will likely keep Perry, and one would hope that Fackrell comes on, but you can't just count on it. Plus, you really need three guys who can get it done.

2. With Shields likely getting cut, CB needs to be high on the list. Gunter is promising, and health should help Randall and Rollins to bounce back as contributors but they lack a top shelf starter at the position.

3. I really like Montgomery, but RB should still be high on the list. I'm skeptical that Ty can be a true workhorse without having played the position for so long. I think he should platoon with one of the talented rookies from this stacked class.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my wish list for the draft. RB in the first if McCaffery is available. Second, OLB or ILB. Third a big physical WR. Fourth, guard. Fifth, DT, and in the sixth, CB. 7th another a LB.

With the 9 million the Packers will add to the cap by cutting Shields. They can go sign the top CB free agent. Drafting a CB to replace Shields is a bad option since they take too long to develop.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is my wish list for the draft. RB in the first if McCaffery is available. Second, OLB or ILB. Third a big physical WR. Fourth, guard. Fifth, DT, and in the sixth, CB. 7th another a LB.

With the 9 million the Packers will add to the cap by cutting Shields. They can go sign the top CB free agent. Drafting a CB to replace Shields is a bad option since they take too long to develop.
McCaffery is too much like Montgomery, need a hard hitter at RB. As for DL in the late rounds, we already have that level of talent. We need an impact starter who can collapse the pocket and they come early.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
McCaffery is too much like Montgomery, need a hard hitter at RB. As for DL in the late rounds, we already have that level of talent. We need an impact starter who can collapse the pocket and they come early.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed Raji comes back in great shape and motivated! He would help instantly.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Tretter seems to always be hurt . If keep Lang over Tretter no doubt.

Also, given Tretter's age, it would seem that he stands a better chance of fetching a big contract, which is important for teams that don't really use FA like the Packers because it means a better comp. pick.

Geronimo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Tight End
2) Cornerback
3) Running Back
4) Outside Linebacker

I'm delighted if we keep:
-Lacy
-Ty
-Michael

I also liked Crockett, still don't know what his injury was specifically.
I don't like seeing mock drafts having us use our #1 on a RB.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-Lacy
-Ty
-Michael

Yea I see a lot of ppl saying we take Dalvin Cook. I like Cook but Monty is just as good. We need to take a talented corner. Justin King or Conley would be ideal. Two big corners athletic who can play man to man. King is a little faster and more polished but Conley is stronger.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
-Lacy
-Ty
-Michael

I really don't want the Packers to be the team that hands Lacy a big contract. The guy can't keep his weight under control on his first contract as someone looking for a pay day. He seems like a candidate to eat himself out of the league once he gets paid. I'm all for letting him walk, scooping a comp pick when someone else pays him, and rolling with Montgomery and a rookie. And I agree that it wouldn't necessarily be ideal to spend a 1st round pick on a back, but we don't really have to. This RB class is deep and strong, and we don't need a workhorse-- just a compliment to Montgomery.

Christine Michael is a walking mental error.

DON BARRETT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Safety's and cornerbacks and maybe a stud pass rusher as we are getting the sh:t kicked out of us right now or better yet a new defense cord. Oh running back also.

FaninColorado

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Outside of Ha-Ha, Daniels, and possibly Barnett... we really have zero other players that should feel safe with their jobs on the defensive side. Could easily draft a whole defense. The other problem for our defense to be re-invented, it would require TT to actually dip into the FA market which he refuses to do. This is the defense we will see next year minus Peppers and a few others being replaced by draft picks and UDFA's.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even know why the "FA" part is in the title of this thread. You do know who the GM of this team is, right?

bgrice91

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is even going to be available in FA? We need the best defensive players available at every level.

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't even know why the "FA" part is in the title of this thread. You do know who the GM of this team is, right?

I hope Elliott Wolf takes over ASAP. Ted Thompson couldn't hold Ron Wolf's jockstrap. If Ron were GM, Capers would've been gone long ago. He would've gone into FA.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If forced to narrow it down directly:

CB - More importantly a true #1 potential type guy. I 100% love our youth and direction but Gunter/Randall/Rollins while awesome for their experience are young/raw and none are showing signs of being a shutdown corner. We need that true and clear #1. If we don't get it in the draft, I foresee maybe a Jared Cook type signing in FA....not a high class lister where you waste money but solid improvement. Would love it if we add enough skill where we have to cut Randall or Rollins or Gunter because that would be a good thing. I am not bringing up Shields because the dude needs to hang em up for his life and family's sake.

OLB - Clay is expensive and hasn't performed at the level his salary will/does garner....Perry has shown he can be a stud, but Peppers and Clay are falling off we gotta find a replacement sooner rather than later. Could Fackrell show improvement like Perry has as he matures and learns more? Possibly...but I'm a fan of adding through a mid level FA or draft or both.

OL - I've always been the more depth is always needed kind of mentality. There is no promise we have everyone back next year and even if so I'd love to see us draft a universal type Tackle that could play G in a pinch too...honestly any solid OL that falls to us I'll be a fan of picking up.

WR/RB Threat - Jordy can't be here forever at this level, Cobb will not be resigned once contract is up which leaves us with Adams/Monty and then Geronimo/Janis/Davis as future options presently...would love to be able to justify cutting Janis and Davis free from this draft....and same pretty much at RB. Lacy may not be back, love Michaels style but would need a pass catching speedster option to go with him well (Monty can do this as well).

TE - I was stuck between this or ILB...but I like our future in Ryan/Martinez and even Joe Thomas showing promise (still expect a pick up though) but TE is a spot I wouldn't be against adding some skill at. Best thing that happened to Richard Rodgers was signing Cook...dude slimmed down and you can see his progression. Many forget he is still honestly pretty young...Cook is a favorite of Rodgers and if re-signed I say we can afford to be patient and not force a pick up in this spot though, in that case I'd slide ILB up to this position as #5 need.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed Raji comes back in great shape and motivated! He would help instantly.

Raji would only have an impact if he would be able to perform on the same level as early in his career. I highly doubt he´s capable of doing so.

-Lacy
-Ty
-Michael

There´s no reason to sign Lacy to a lucrative long-term contract as he hasn´t been able to stay in shape for two consecutive seasons.

Safety's and cornerbacks and maybe a stud pass rusher as we are getting the sh:t kicked out of us right now or better yet a new defense cord.

I´m not worried about the starters at safety at all. It might be smart to add some quality depth though.

CB - More importantly a true #1 potential type guy. I 100% love our youth and direction but Gunter/Randall/Rollins while awesome for their experience are young/raw and none are showing signs of being a shutdown corner.

TE - Best thing that happened to Richard Rodgers was signing Cook...dude slimmed down and you can see his progression. Many forget he is still honestly pretty young...

Mostly agree with your post but neither Gunter, Randall or Rollins have performing at an amazing level for their experience. They were flat out terrible for most of the season. Cornerback has to be the #1 priority this offseason. In addition I didn´t see any progress out of Richard Rodgers.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good time to start the draft talk in earnest. If McCaffery is available, I would pick him. He's electrifying and would also boost special teams. If the Packets don't pick him, NE will and win a couple more championships. While the needs at defense are critical, imo McCaffery is a franchise changing player who will move the chains and help the defense by keeping it off the field for 3-6 minutes more every game. In the second round I'd pick the best available cb or pass rusher. In the middle rounds I'd pick a gurad, DT and another TE. It's obvious the draft is not enough and the Packers need to get serious in free agency but that topic should probably be a different thread since it's such a big issue for the Packers right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts