2017 Draft/FA Needs - Ranked

Status
Not open for further replies.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see there is another Draft thread out there but not specific to the topic I wish to generate discussion on. I this thread I would like to see other people's opinions on what are the Packer's top 5 draft needs by position and whether that need is for a Starter or an Upgrade in Depth. If you would like, I would also encourage to iterate your position as to why you see the needs as you do.

To get things kicked off, here are my top 5 needs, ranked and my reasons for my ranking.

1. DB - This one is a no-brainer I think. Shields should retire and if GB lets him play again, TT should go to prison. We need a Starter here, plain and simple. Not a slot guy, but a shut down out on the edge guy. A healthy Randall or maybe Gunter can handle the other side and our other guys are decent in Nickle and Dime but not as starters on the edge. Whoever doesn't start of Gunter or Randall could serve as a decent backup.

2. NT - Pass defense isn't completely on the DB's out on an island, it also depends on pressure on the QB. I think CM3 and Perry should be quite a good combination on the edges with Elliot and Fackrell with a year under his belt as decent backups. But the only pressure we ever get comes from the edge. We need to get someone who can bring it up the gut so OL's can't just roll guys outside to help out against the edge. We need a guy who can collapse the pocket so that pressure comes from every angle. This alone will help our pass D improve greatly. Stater is needed here, even if it's not a 3 down guy.

3. G - We don't have any depth here at all. Barclay is a failure at every position he's tried. He may be a nice guy but he just can't play OL in the NFL. Spriggs did nicely as a fill in BUT, he is our primary backup at Tackle. Also, Tretter can fill in as well but is arguably our starting Center. The issue here as I see it comes down to this, if we lose Tackle, Center and Guard all at the same time, which has happened and after this year, we should expect to happen, we have no solution at all for Guard. We need a solid backup here otherwise we are playing with fire. Oh yea, if he can run block well too, that would be nice as well.

4. RB - I think it is clear that RB is a real need here. If everyone is healthy and Michaels can pick up the offense in the off season, we have 3 really decent backs. BUT, Michaels is no guarentee to pick up the offense, Lacy is no lock to re-sign and even if he is, he is prone to ankle injuries, this makes RB a pick of need. I am really tired of RB's who dance behind a line who isn't the greatest at run blocking to begin with. I loved how Michaels hit the hole for his 42 yard TD vs the Bears. That's the kind of running we haven't seen in these parts for years and that's the type of running we need to win championships.

This pick is highly dependent on what happens in our off season. This one could change but if Michaels doesn't pan out or Lacy doesn't re-sign, we simply need another back who can produce.

5. TE -I harken back to the days of Chewy and Jackson. A scary combination. If we could duplicate that again with AR...Look Out NFL. If nothing else, we absolutely need depth here, we have nobody after Rodgers and Cook.

Other needs include more depth at ILB. Thomas is a decent backup as long as he can play along side another starter. We need to keep CM3 outside so depth here is also a need.

I have changed my mind about WR now that MM has given Geronimo opportunity lately. I see a need for the WR of the future to take over for Jordy in a couple years but I get the same feeling with G-Mo as I did with Driver when I saw him make an insane catch at the back of the end zone on a throw away pass his rookie season. I think this kid will be big some day so WR is not such a hot ticket item this off season. It can wait.

Since the only Starters I see of need are at DB and NT, we very well could find them both in the draft. For once it may actually be of more value to trade up for a second 1st round pick this year than to hoard a bunch of later round picks. This team is just a few impact players away. Not development players away, impact players away. The question is, has this year had as much an impact on TT as the pre-season and mid-season trades and FA signings hint at? We shall see.

Well, what do you all think?

D

Deleted member 6794

With the Packers playing the Lions tonight for the division championship and possibly a playoff spot I hope we can delay talking about offseason needs for at least another week.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your reasons NLC?

The Packers haven't had a tight end in four years and the offense works better when the middle of the field isn't ignored.

Shields is going to retire, Randall is seeing too much time on the bench, and there is no way Ladarius Gunter could be the best corner on the team.

The starting running back is a former wide receiver who would be best in a 3rd down role.

Clay Matthews is constantly beat up, Julius Peppers is going to retire, and Nick Perry & Datone Jones are free agents after the year.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers haven't had a tight end in four years and the offense works better when the middle of the field isn't ignored.

Shields is going to retire, Randall is seeing too much time on the bench, and there is no way Ladarius Gunter could be the best corner on the team.

The starting running back is a former wide receiver who would be best in a 3rd down role.

Clay Matthews is constantly beat up, Julius Peppers is going to retire, and Nick Perry & Datone Jones are free agents after the year.
What about Cook? Worth resigning or not?
Agree on Shields.
Agree on Montgomery too. But how do you think Lacy and Michaels will play out in the off season?
Don't you think the Pack will Target Perry this off season as Pepper's replacement?

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With the Packers playing the Lions tonight for the division championship and possibly a playoff spot I hope we can delay talking about offseason needs for at least another week.
Well, just had to figure out something to do until tonight since they flexed the game. Watching Skins vs GMen sounds a bit boring....

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Cook? Worth resigning or not?
Agree on Shields.
Agree on Montgomery too. But how do you think Lacy and Michaels will play out in the off season?
Don't you think the Pack will Target Perry this off season as Pepper's replacement?

I like Cook, but can you trust that he'll play an entire season or play up to his contract? He's a very good option, but this is an extremely good tight end class in the upcoming draft. The Packers could benefit from drafting an athletic tight end.

I think Lacy has seen his last days as a Packer. He followed a subpar season in which he was overweight by going on IR. Michael is tough because he's been cut so many times. If he was a legitimate #1 back, the Packers never would have been able to get him off waivers in the middle of the season.

This season has shown that Nick Perry is a very good OLB when healthy and with CM3 on the field. If the contract is reasonable, the Packers should definitely resign him.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OLB - Clay slowing down, need a guy who can stop the run AND cover
CB - attrition here and BAD picks, need 2 more.
RB - Lacy ate his way out, I like Ty. need a good scat back.
G - time for some new blood here, big ten lineman would be good.
TE - Cook is the man, get another young guy with good hands.
P - not in the draft but explore other options here.
NT - Daniels needs help, need another tug boat to help him.

bgrice91

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. OLB
2. CB
3. RB
4. TE ( moves up if Cook not resigned)
5. Interior DL

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Defensive Coordinator
2. CB
3. DL
4. RB
5. OG

I picked Defensive Coordinator 1st because as good as GB's Offense has been over the years especially this year, we've lost too many opportunities because we haven't had a dominant defense. Getting out-statted in most games this year says a lot, not to mention getting bounced from the playoffs multiple times from defenses who battled out offenses, where our defense didn't match up.

NY Giants - 2 times
Seattle - 2 times
Arizona - 2 times
San Fran - 2 times

Enough said!

Last edited:

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. AJ Bouye Houston in fa. Gives us a cb. He is younger.
2. Resign Cook at TE
3. Draft Olb and d line and guard

What is Cobb's cap hit if they moved on from him? I am sure it won't happen. Just wondering

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Defensive Coordinator
2. CB
3. DL
4. RB
5. OG

I picked Defensive Coordinator 1st because as good as GB's Offense has been over the years especially this year, we've lost too many opportunities because we haven't had a dominant defense. Getting out-statted in most games this year says a lot, not to mention getting bounced from the playoffs multiple times from defenses who battled out offenses, where our defense didn't match up.

NY Giants - 2 times
Seattle - 2 times
Arizona - 2 times
San Fran - 2 times

Enough said!
You think maybe having to start your #5 & #6 CBs on top of your 3rd ILB and one promoted from the practice squad all at the same time might have a little something to do with those stats?

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. AJ Bouye Houston in fa. Gives us a cb. He is younger.
2. Resign Cook at TE
3. Draft Olb and d line and guard

What is Cobb's cap hit if they moved on from him? I am sure it won't happen. Just wondering
I was wondering if Cobb might be coupled with our #2 to move up for a second 1st rounder or a straight up player trade.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think maybe having to start your #5 & #6 CBs on top of your 3rd ILB and one promoted from the practice squad all at the same time might have a little something to do with those stats?
I would say no, but what does that have to do with all of the other years our defense let us down in the playoffs? Are you forgetting why we were eliminated so many times? It wasn't our offense.
Of the playoff eliminations all but one (NY Giants - Farve Interception) was in the Rodgers / Capers era. Don't you see something wrong with that?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would say no, but what does that have to do with all of the other years our defense let us down in the playoffs? Are you forgetting why we were eliminated so many times? It wasn't our offense.
Of the playoff eliminations all but one (NY Giants - Farve Interception) was in the Rodgers / Capers era. Don't you see something wrong with that?

I think the offense and special teams share ad much blame for the Seattle loss. The defense collapsed in the 4th but that game should have long been over if the offense did its job and obviously if bostick does his

Larry 3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I would like to see:

1. RB - see you Lacy. He didn't take his career seriously enough. He would have kept on his conditioning if not otherwise. Our season almost fell apart without an RB

2. OLB - I would like us to not resign C3. He has missed so many games to injury. We are fine without him and free a lot of salary cap.

3. NT

4. G

5. CB

Just my two cents

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK Folks, back on topic here. We are talking players not coaches. Try to keep it analytical, not emotional. We are talking about what this team needs for talent to take us back over the top again.

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NT? Didn't we just spend a freaking 1st round pick on one of these?
Clark is a solid contributor, even in his rookie season. He just isn't a penetrator. Love the way he gets his hands up though. Not sure how many he's knocked down this year. I also like Lowery. He's going to be a good one in a year or two, already has had some great games.

In my estimation, we have a bunch of solid guys up there and one real impact guy with Daniels. We need on more impact guy to go with Neal. Pannell solid and Guion is a step up. Now imagine a guy who puts both them on the bench as backups...

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

1. RB - see you Lacy. He didn't take his career seriously enough. He would have kept on his conditioning if not otherwise. Our season almost fell apart without an RB

2. OLB - I would like us to not resign C3. He has missed so many games to injury. We are fine without him and free a lot of salary cap.

3. NT

4. G

5. CB

Just my two cents

Two questions

1. Do you mean cut clay? He is not a fa
2. Why do you have cb at 5? Do you see Rollins and Randall improving a lot or Shields returning?

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score

3. NT

4. G

5. CB

Just my two cents
Matthews contract isn't up for a while yet. Besides the blind side hit he took this year would have broke most anybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts