2017 Draft/FA Needs - Ranked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry 3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Two questions

1. Do you mean cut clay? He is not a fa
2. Why do you have cb at 5? Do you see Rollins and Randall improving a lot or Shields returning?

Oops, I thought clay matthews' contract was up this season. Guess just have to ride it out or cut him

Larry 3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For CB at 5, we are losing shields. It would be nice to have more depth there in case of injury etc

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Cook? Worth resigning or not?
Agree on Shields.
Agree on Montgomery too. But how do you think Lacy and Michaels will play out in the off season?
Don't you think the Pack will Target Perry this off season as Pepper's replacement?

I would love to see us resign Cook. I think Perry too. Not sure yet about Michaels or Lacy, but yes, we need something at RB.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Round 1- CB, round 2- CB, round 3- CB, round 4- CB, round 5- CB, round 6- CB, round 7- CB.

Larry 3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darn, our CB's are all injured. I may need to move our CB need to number 2. \m/

OP
OP
4zone

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Post Dallas Update - Not sure it's changing much from my original thoughts but here goes:
1 - CB
2 - NT
3 - LB (any)
4 - RB
5 - G

Assumptions:
Cook signs a long term deal.
Lacy re-signs (probably short term)
Shields and Peppers retire.
We re-sign Lang, Tretter

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Post Dallas Update - Not sure it's changing much from my original thoughts but here goes:
1 - CB
2 - NT
3 - LB (any)
4 - RB
5 - G

Assumptions:
We re-sign Lang, Tretter

Pretty much agree with this. I might say Corner, Edge, DL, RB, and OL in that order, depending on Lacy. Otherwise, I'd go Corner, RB, Edge, DL, and OL.

Since this draft is SO stacked at TE, I'd like to see us take a crack at one later too. Cook has been awesome, but having another tight end waiting in the wings would be great.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1 - CB
2 - NT
3 - LB (any)
4 - RB
5 - G

Assumptions:
We re-sign Lang, Tretter
This years group of free agents is could set us back, if we don't maneuver a way to keep the the majority of them.
Peppers
Perry
Datone Jones
Hyde
Then on offense
Lang
Tretter
Barclay
LS Goode
Along with half our line
Lacy
C Michael
TE Cook

Then we have to consider that Sheilds will most likely retire freeing up 9mil free cap, but leaving us without a proven #1 CB
Starks could be the veteran buffer while we find replacments for a more expensive lacy, and the question mark Michael... Or he might be worth more gone, considering he leaves 3 mil free cap, and only .75mil dead cap, if he is cut...He didn't look great this year. I don't know if he was banged up or what. But the car crash concussion was terrible luck. Right when he was called to come and do what he was signed to do. He gets knocked out the rest of the year from a car accident...... REALLY!?!?

Lets see what Perry, Hyde, and Cook cost before I start picking more guys off that list...Tretter? Lacy? Good greif we are going to take a hit...

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think we'll have plenty of money to re-sign whomever we want. I am assuming, however, that Shields is done and that Peppers is done. If they are both done, that's like 18-19 million + 9 million or w/e in cap rollover + whatever increase the 2017 cap sees. CaptainWIMM is the money guru though, not me, but it seems like we could have a decent pool of cash to work with.

Lang, Perry, and Cook, all key re-signs, are already making half-way decent money and won't require some kind of enormous raise to keep. I mean they'd all take a pay hike, but nothing like rookie deal to starter money jumps. Tretter wouldn't be cheap to retain, but I'm not sure how likely it is that we'd try to keep both Tretter and Lang. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems unlikely to me. Hyde's the only other one on that list I care about, and he won't be super expensive.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think we'll have plenty of money to re-sign whomever we want. I am assuming, however, that Shields is done and that Peppers is done. If they are both done, that's like 18-19 million + 9 million or w/e in cap rollover + whatever increase the 2017 cap sees. CaptainWIMM is the money guru though, not me, but it seems like we could have a decent pool of cash to work with.

Lang, Perry, and Cook, all key re-signs, are already making half-way decent money and won't require some kind of enormous raise to keep. I mean they'd all take a pay hike, but nothing like rookie deal to starter money jumps. Tretter wouldn't be cheap to retain, but I'm not sure how likely it is that we'd try to keep both Tretter and Lang. Maybe I'm wrong, but that seems unlikely to me. Hyde's the only other one on that list I care about, and he won't be super expensive.

The Packers will have approximately $36 million in cap space to work with next offseason. Releasing Shields and Starks would add another $12 million of cap space. While that might sound like a ton of money the team will have several positions to address with high priced players.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Generally I can agree with much of what has already been said.

However, I actually don't expect TT to draft CB so high. In fact, I think that he'll pick up a CB in the mid-to-lower rounds while (brace yourselves) picking up a veteran CB in the second or third tier FA market. With his veteran Shields gone, I think that they would/should have a veteran CB to show the young guys how to do it right.

I also think that Tretter will be used as the main backup at C/G and Spriggs at both tackle positions. With that in mind, I think that the Packers will just draft low-round talent here.

It's a deep draft for RBs so that will be a mid-round selection.

I really believe that TT will be going BPA from the start, believing that none of his positions are critical - assuming my FA cornerback guess is correct

D

Deleted member 6794

I also think that Tretter will be used as the main backup at C/G and Spriggs at both tackle positions.

I believe Tretter will be offered starter money by another team and leave in free agency.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
However, I actually don't expect TT to draft CB so high. In fact, I think that he'll pick up a CB in the mid-to-lower rounds while (brace yourselves) picking up a veteran CB in the second or third tier FA market. With his veteran Shields gone, I think that they would/should have a veteran CB to show the young guys how to do it right.

Tbh, though I have joked about needing CB CB CB CB!, I think it's a position that our front office is actually probably comfortable with right now as far as next year is concerned. I know we watched injured Rollins and Randall struggle this year, but if we know anything about of front office, it's that they let their young players grow. Young they are, and 1st and 2nd round picks they were. So truthfully, I kind of doubt that CB is on top of their list of needs.

That said, there is a glut of talent on the top end at CB and Edge Rusher this year, so it won't be surprising if their BPA happens to be a CB anyways. It's pretty nuts actually how many CBs are projected to go in the first and second rounds this year. Some mocks have over half of the first round being cornerbacks and safeties.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tbh, though I have joked about needing CB CB CB CB!, I think it's a position that our front office is actually probably comfortable with right now as far as next year is concerned.

I truly hope the Packers front office thinks differently. Adding a #1 cornerback next offseason is a must.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I truly hope the Packers front office thinks differently. Adding a #1 cornerback next offseason is a must.

I think I'm with you on that one. I just have a feeling it's less of a priority to people that actually have a say in the matter. :sick:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I truly think that TT and the Packers would be absolutely nuts to think that they can fill the glaring need at CB for 2017 through the draft. We tried that once with Randall and Rollins and that was while still having a healthy Shields to play #1. This is the year TT needs to open his pocket book just a little wider and dip into the FA market and spend the Shields savings on a quality starting CB as well as a lower tiered vet CB with experience.

Vince Lombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will have approximately $36 million in cap space to work with next offseason. Releasing Shields and Starks would add another $12 million of cap space. While that might sound like a ton of money the team will have several positions to address with high priced players.
They also have appx $8 million leftover that will be rolled over from 2016. So the number could be closer to $44 million before the cuts.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
In 2016 we didn't only lose Sam Shields at CB, we also lost (hopefully temporarily) the promise of two high round draft picks filling the roles of starting CB's. It would be very dangerous to go into 2017 thinking that Randall and Rollins are going to play up to the level most thought they would, as well as putting a #1 (32nd player in draft :D) next to them.....recipe for disaster IMO.

Opinions on Joe Whitt? Does he have any blame in what has/hasn't been happening with these young guys? Or does that rest on TT and the scouts for not giving him enough talent to work with?

D

Deleted member 6794

Opinions on Joe Whitt? Does he have any blame in what has/hasn't been happening with these young guys? Or does that rest on TT and the scouts for not giving him enough talent to work with?

I believe the Packers secondary has mostly struggled because of a lack of talent at cornerback once Shields went down.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I believe the Packers secondary has mostly struggled because of a lack of talent at cornerback once Shields went down.
That is my feeling as well and I have seen nothing but praise about Whitt. I was just wondering if I was missing something, besides the injuries and lack of talent thing to explain the poor play.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are there even any good free agent CBs?

Status
Not open for further replies.