2016 Playoffs round 1 -- Giants

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those who dismiss the Giants' offense based on their PPG do so at their own risk. Eli, historically, plays on a much different level in the postseason, they've got weapons, and seem to have found a running game now with Perkins. Our defense has made less talented offenses than the Giants look very competent. It comes down to how effective our pass rush is. If they can get home with 4, it will really take pressure off a banged up secondary. If not, our corners may be in for a long day.

I'm less concerned about the other side of the ball. Even though the Giants D has played very well recently, if Rodgers continues to play at the MVP level he has the last 6 weeks, we'll score plenty.

I don't expect an easy game by any means. I'd be pleasantly surprised with one. I'll go with 34-27 Packers on a late TD to Cook.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no doubt that this team can win out, including the Super Bowl, but....the moment we turn the ball over more times than we take it away, the game will probably over. Our offense can hold its own, but fumbles or interceptions, will take away needed possessions to stay in close games. On the other side of the ball, our defense isn't good enough to keep teams like Dallas and Atlanta out of the end zone, without the aid of some timely turnovers.

Captain or someone will have the stat, I just don't want to dig it up right now. But over the last 6 games (wins) has AR thrown an interception or have we fumbled and lost a ball? I know we have quite a few interceptions as well as a few fumbles recovered. Keep that margin and we keep winning, even with a weak defense.
He has 15 td and 0 int..

I think one fumble vs Texans

Last edited:

Dirty Sanchez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OK. I've got to go on record here. I'm not Half Empty. Half Empty is Half Empty. But I gotta tell ya. I think our boys are one and done this year. I just don't see how our offense is going to overcome that defense coupled with our shaky secondary against those receivers. But that is why they play the game. I hope I'm terribly wrong.
I appreciate your candidness, Buh Bye!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Those who dismiss the Giants' offense based on their PPG do so at their own risk. Eli, historically, plays on a much different level in the postseason, they've got weapons, and seem to have found a running game now with Perkins. Our defense has made less talented offenses than the Giants look very competent. It comes down to how effective our pass rush is. If they can get home with 4, it will really take pressure off a banged up secondary. If not, our corners may be in for a long day.

I'm less concerned about the other side of the ball. Even though the Giants D has played very well recently, if Rodgers continues to play at the MVP level he has the last 6 weeks, we'll score plenty.

I don't expect an easy game by any means. I'd be pleasantly surprised with one. I'll go with 34-27 Packers on a late TD to Cook.
Check the last time they made playoffs...That's when they won the SB? their offense was scoring very well ... Last 4 game, avg about 26 a game

So they had offense doing well, this time not so much

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
No int.. He has 15 int and 0 int..

I think one fumble vs Texans

I think you meant 15 TD's but yes, no interceptions! The low # of fumbles is big too. Especially when you consider the transition of Monty to RB, I think he had one or 2 in that first game against the Bears, but has been rock steady since.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't care for this matchup; deja vu all over again.
Also just read that the Packers may be without Randall, Rollins and one other CB, leaving us who to play CB?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I think you meant 15 TD's but yes, no interceptions! The low # of fumbles is big too. Especially when you consider the transition of Monty to RB, I think he had one or 2 in that first game against the Bears, but has been rock steady since.
Yes 15 td.. I fixed

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't care for this matchup; deja vu all over again.
Also just read that the Packers may be without Randall, Rollins and one other CB, leaving us who to play CB?

Gunter, Hyde, Hawkins. But yeah.....we are paper thin and it could show come Sunday. Still waiting to hear for sure news on Randall and Rollins as well as potentially scraping PS's or the streets for anyone....anyone....Bueller?

Can Jeff Janis play CB? :rolleyes:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I got a feeling neither team breaks 30, hell I wouldn't be surprised if it was more like a 20-17 score or something like that.

I'd say this is going to be that playoff game that you gotta find a way to gut out and win at all costs. But if we can beat a team that's historically done well in the postseason and get over this mental hurdle, I feel like any other team is going to be fair game and can go down easily to the winner of this game.

Soooo.... think of it as the unofficial NFC Championship in the WC round.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers passing D ranked 31 this year, probably worse than in 2011 when they gave up 37 points to the Giants.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Soooo.... think of it as the unofficial NFC Championship in the WC round.

Wishful thinking?

I think both Dallas and Atlanta would take great offense to the fact that you didn't invite them to the party. IMO, those are the only 2 teams we would face as underdogs and rightfully so.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter, Hyde, Hawkins. But yeah.....we are paper thin and it could show come Sunday. Still waiting to hear for sure news on Randall and Rollins as well as potentially scraping PS's or the streets for anyone....anyone....Bueller?

Can Jeff Janis play CB? :rolleyes:
of Course he can... he can do anything.... I'm sue Mcarthy and Capers have just been hiding him until playoff time lol.

GiantsWorld

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Which is why I'm not horribly concerned with our DB's... AR needs to remain sharp and put 31 points on the board. Even GB's 4th quarter prevent-D should be able to withstand a sudden outburst of Eli lucidity.

31 points would be tough, considering the Giants have the best D in the league since week 7. In fact, the Giants havent given up 30 points once this year. Of course they havent scored 30 either lol

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wishful thinking?

I think both Dallas and Atlanta would take great offense to the fact that you didn't invite them to the party. IMO, those are the only 2 teams we would face as underdogs and rightfully so.

Because both those teams have junky defenses and one has a rookie QB playing. Stop Elliot (easier said than done I know but still, I think we can), and the Cowboys are in trouble. And Matt Ryan hasn't been too good in the playoffs in his time.

GiantsWorld

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Man, you guys are giving the #2 defense in the league no credit. If the packers win, it will be something like 17-14 or 21-17. If the Giants win it would be like 14-10. And the cold is going to favor D and hurt O. Hopefully the wind whips up a bit too.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Man, you guys are giving the #2 defense in the league no credit. If the packers win, it will be something like 17-14 or 21-17. If the Giants win it would be like 14-10. And the cold is going to favor D and hurt O. Hopefully the wind whips up a bit too.

Only speaking for myself.....but our "awesome" defense could come up with the other 14 points needed to make it to 31 ;) You know just saying, Clay and Julius are overdue for pick 6's.

GiantsWorld

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Only speaking for myself.....but our "awesome" defense could come up with the other 14 points needed to make it to 31 ;) You know just saying, Clay and Julius are overdue for pick 6's.

How do you think I was giving you the 17-21 points?! Your D! ;)

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Has anybody noticed that smell ?? Got it now, it`s Bull **** !. Welcome to our forum. Have a wonderful weekend.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
How do you think I was giving you the 17-21 points?! Your D! ;)

I do think the game on Sunday could be decided on turnovers. Aaron Rodgers and the Packers offense has been very good as of late with protecting the ball, so that is a plus on the Packers side. Our defense has forced some turnovers, as well as being gifted some, in the last 6 games, so we got that going for us. So as long as our special teams don't muff punts or fumble kickoffs, I am looking for the Packers to win the turnover battle and ultimately the game because of that.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Gotta get pressure on Eli. Would like to see Josh Hawkins get a shot at it if depth is pressing at corner. He is a legit 4.3 guy that I'm kinda surprised hasn't already had a shot at it. He kinda mirrors Sam Shields on measureables. Shields is a tick faster. Really liked this guy in college and had him making team back in July.

As far as drawing Giants and possible easier paths there isn't one. Every scenario other then getting Lions at home in NFC Champ game will be a big test. And even then we would have to beat Lions 3 times in same season. Just gotta take them one at a time.

With that said if offense can keep playing the way they have and continue not turning the ball over along with a few timely defensive plays I like our chances against anyone. We are on an amazing run.

GPG!

OP
OP
Poppa San

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
31 points would be tough, considering the Giants have the best D in the league since week 7. In fact, the Giants havent given up 30 points once this year. Of course they havent scored 30 either lol
Packers are 10-1 this season when the defense gives up less than 30.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packers passing D ranked 31 this year, probably worse than in 2011 when they gave up 37 points to the Giants.

31? Really?

OK... Had to look it up..

8th in rushing tho

Tied for 4th in 3rd downs made

4th in time of possession allowed

Last edited:

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For one, I think the Giants O is underperforming and the D is overperforming. When the Vikings came into Lambeau on Christmas Eve, they were one of the top ranked defenses and gave up 38 before the Packers O called off the dogs.

In today's NFL a top offense still trumps a top D. When Rodgers is playing at the level he has been, having a good D isn't enough to stop him. I don't expect a game in January with a temp in the high teens to have much affect on offense unless the wind is really blowing.

I'll still stand by a prediction for a high scoring game and take the over, but that's why they play the games.

Members online

No members online now.