2016 Cut-downs

D

Deleted member 6794

If you keep Elliot and Fackrell, who do you cut to keep them? If you read above, I do state that I believe TT does keep Fackrell.

The Packers will most likely keep six outside linebackers meaning both Fackrell and Elliott make the team. There's no way only four players at the position end up on the 53.

There is the option of bringing a guy back from IR after he's sat out 6 weeks. The rule is changed from last season; a particular player does not have to be designated for return in advance. Now, it can be any player with no advance designation, but you only get one call-back per season.

Whether this will be a consideration with Janis remains to be seen. The 6-8 weeks estimate for his return roughly fits with this provision.

Teams are only allowed to activate a player from injured reserve during the season who previously made the 53 man roster.

So Masthay got cut... Do you think this has anything to do with Colquitt being released by Denver? Seems like odd timing.

With Britton Colquitt being a vested veteran he doesn't have to clear waivers and the Packers coukd have signed him by now.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will most likely keep six outside linebackers meaning both Fackrell and Elliott make the team. There's no way only four players at the position end up on the 53.
You can't keep 6 OLBs, 6 ILBs, 6 CB's, 6 Ss, 6 DEs and 3 NTs. (meaning we can't keep three deep at every position) More than likely we keep 5 OLB's. That leaves Elliot out.

D

Deleted member 6794

You can't keep 6 OLBs, 6 ILBs, 6 CB's, 6 Ss, 6 DEs and 3 NTs. (meaning we can't keep three deep at every position) More than likely we keep 5 OLB's. That leaves Elliot out.

Who said anything about keeping six players at any other position on defense??? But I expect the Packers final roster to feature six outside linebackers.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who said anything about keeping six players at any other position on defense??? But I expect the Packers final roster to feature six outside linebackers.
Not if they play like they did tonight...

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What have they done wrong, as a group? If you'd have said ILB's I'd understand. Overall they've missed a lot of plays out there
Bad run defense. Up the middle, outside the tackles. Way too many long runs given up. Maybe just a bad day but 3rd string vs 3rd string getting butts kicked. Two days we find out for sure.

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's all in the books now. A lot of guys gave it their best shots, nearly half of them won't make the grade and a handful will get a second chance either here or elsewhere. Good luck to all,and thanks for the effort!

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think Callahan on the 53 is realistic now. Could see a #3 RB coming from somewhere else like Hillman from the Broncos.

At least we are spared from gnashing our teeth about the punter for at least a week.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how you come up with that conclusion after Callahan truly impressed during the preseason.

Sorry, meant realistic from a standpoint of what is going on with other roster spots. He makes it, he earned it obviously, but seems like he will get caught up in a rosters numbers game with what is going on at the WR position and some of the guys at the CB that look like they deserves spots. Guess that 53 spot will either be Callahan, another DB or a WR I'd think.

D

Deleted member 6794

Sorry, meant realistic from a standpoint of what is going on with other roster spots. He makes it, he earned it obviously, but seems like he will get caught up in a rosters numbers game with what is going on at the WR position and some of the guys at the CB that look like they deserves spots. Guess that 53 spot will either be Callahan, another DB or a WR I'd think.

Trevor Davis injuring his shoulder during tonight's game might end up opening a roster spot.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For all I was impressed with Bradford earlier this preseason, I think it all faded for me last night. Brown had some nice pass coverage on at least one play, but his run support on a handful was abysmal.

I didn't really like what I saw from the RB's last night. a couple nice runs, but overall, i would hope they are never activated after Lacy and Starks, and I hope those two stay healthy. and I hope we find another 3rd down back.

For as much potential I thought Kyle Murphy had when we drafted him, I don't think he makes this roster. Try and bring back on PS is about the best he can hope for I think. He needs a lot of work, a lot more than he's got this off/preseason.

lots of tough picks in that defensive backfield. I have to say, Gunter hasn't appeared to step up to me. I was hoping for more jump between last year and this. He had more big plays last year, but a lot of those even were aided by poor play from the opposing qb as much or more than his coverage skills.

I've liked Brice and think he gets a spot. Evans too, but how many safeties are we keeping? What's Banjo's in jury?

I think Adams had a nice night with some tough contested catches. I think it's a no brainer that he, Abby, and Montgomery are all on this team. I was hoping to see Allison more and with Davis's injury, where does that leave him? As I suspected, a lot of decisions were going to be made just by how the preseason unfolds due to injury. I would not be surprised if we only have 5 WR's, maybe 6, I don't see 7 being a probability at all at this point.

Oh, what else. Ryan needs more work after being out much of the preseason. Still haven't seen enough to know if he's going to work out at all or not. He played that first TD about as poorly as one could. What should have been a TFL or no gain turned into a TD. Not good from the ILB position. But, he hasn't seen much action at all, so I'll forgive him this time.

I'm sure there's more, but my fat fingers can't take anymore

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Seems to me that by playing Callahan for as long as the Packers did, he has made the 53 or they were polishing up his game film in order to shop him for a trade. While he didn't have as great of a game as his previous 3, he was playing with many guys who may not even be on the team after Saturday. He still looks good enough to be a tough slide to the PS. I guess we will find out in the next 3 days.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

For all I was impressed with Bradford earlier this preseason, I think it all faded for me last night. Brown had some nice pass coverage on at least one play, but his run support on a handful was abysmal.

I didn't really like what I saw from the RB's last night. a couple nice runs, but overall, i would hope they are never activated after Lacy and Starks, and I hope those two stay healthy. and I hope we find another 3rd down back.

For as much potential I thought Kyle Murphy had when we drafted him, I don't think he makes this roster. Try and bring back on PS is about the best he can hope for I think. He needs a lot of work, a lot more than he's got this off/preseason.

lots of tough picks in that defensive backfield. I have to say, Gunter hasn't appeared to step up to me. I was hoping for more jump between last year and this. He had more big plays last year, but a lot of those even were aided by poor play from the opposing qb as much or more than his coverage skills.

I've liked Brice and think he gets a spot. Evans too, but how many safeties are we keeping? What's Banjo's in jury?

I think Adams had a nice night with some tough contested catches. I think it's a no brainer that he, Abby, and Montgomery are all on this team. I was hoping to see Allison more and with Davis's injury, where does that leave him? As I suspected, a lot of decisions were going to be made just by how the preseason unfolds due to injury. I would not be surprised if we only have 5 WR's, maybe 6, I don't see 7 being a probability at all at this point.

Oh, what else. Ryan needs more work after being out much of the preseason. Still haven't seen enough to know if he's going to work out at all or not. He played that first TD about as poorly as one could. What should have been a TFL or no gain turned into a TD. Not good from the ILB position. But, he hasn't seen much action at all, so I'll forgive him this time.

I'm sure there's more, but my fat fingers can't take anymore

I wasn't able to watch yesterday's game so far therefore I have no idea who is correct in their evaluation but it's interesting that PFF graded the performance of several players completely different than you.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-nfl-kc-gb-grades-chiefs-qb-bray-solid-in-victory/

4zone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems to me that by playing Callahan for as long as the Packers did, he has made the 53 or they were polishing up his game film in order to shop him for a trade. While he didn't have as great of a game as his previous 3, he was playing with many guys who may not even be on the team after Saturday. He still looks good enough to be a tough slide to the PS. I guess we will find out in the next 3 days.
Which teams would have Callahan as their #2? If not, I don't see anyone picking him up for a #3 spot. Last night showed how much work he still has to do. He's not ready for a regular season game. Granted, with 10 other starters with him, his numbers would be better but that also precludes he's going against 11 defensive starters as well.

I think he would make it to our practice squad if released. I think we have more ready-to-play talent that can take that slot. But hey, who knows how the dice will roll...

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Which teams would have Callahan as their #2? If not, I don't see anyone picking him up for a #3 spot.

By no means was I implying that Callahan was ready to be a #2 with any team right now. But I differ with you on the #3. I'm not a fan of having to use a roster spot for a rookie QB, since most aren't ready to start and are usually inactive on game day, but sometimes the situation warrants it, as was the case with Brett Hundley last year. I'm pretty sure the Packers knew they couldn't safely stash Brett on the PS. Was Hundley a #2 last year, no. Any young rebuilding team with what they see as an extra roster spot, may see the potential in Callahan and scoop him right up from waivers and put him on their 53, as their #3. If I was Minnesota and it was a choice between Stave or Callahan...easy choice. But as you said, its a dice roll for the Packers....one that I think loses Callahan if they opt to try and slide him to the PS. But TT and MM know QB talent, so I have full confidence in whatever decision they make in regards to him.

Remember, Callahan can also be lured away from the Packer PS at anytime by another team. With Aaron Rodgers and Brett Hundley ahead of him, I couldn't blame him in that situation if a better opportunity arises.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn't able to watch yesterday's game so far therefore I have no idea who is correct in their evaluation but it's interesting that PFF graded the performance of several players completely different than you.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-nfl-kc-gb-grades-chiefs-qb-bray-solid-in-victory/
Intersting. Calling Murphy good last night would be like saying Barclay rated well last year.

Maybe I was being unfairly harsh on Gunter, but he did have a decent INT, again as much on the QB as any great play by him, but he did make the play. What stood out for me was on play in particular on 3rd down and he completely whiffed on his jam attempt and never recovered and gave up an easy first down play. I saw a couple more where his effort seemed the same, he was fortunate the ball didn't go his way. I think the coverage by Daniel was tighter overall than Gunter, but maybe it was just the plus I looked at.

Bradford? seemed to be blocked and moved out of the way easily at the point of attack.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I have to agree, not sure how PFF rated Murphy so high. Wish I would have saved the recording, but at times he looked greener then green out there and all I could think to myself was "PS at best". The whole offensive line for that matter looked pretty pathetic, especially in the second half. As far as Bradford and Gunter goes, neither looked like starters, but can see both of them deserving to make the 53.

I'm still ticked that Cook was in there so long, posted it somewhere else today, but really Mike? Did you see the way he got tackled after his TD catch? We are lucky to have him healthy for the season.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A little surprised Perillo beat out Backman.
I'm not! I called that 1 after the Cleveland game. Perillo has better hands and gets open despite being a poorer athlete than Backman. Backman reminded me of Bostick too much anyway. Didn't see Crockett not making the team though. Wonder if we keep on 2 true RBs this year?

H

HardRightEdge

I'm not! I called that 1 after the Cleveland game. Perillo has better hands and gets open despite being a poorer athlete than Backman. Backman reminded me of Bostick too much anyway. Didn't see Crockett not making the team though. Wonder if we keep on 2 true RBs this year?
From the following link:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sp...ut-2015-6th-rounder-kennard-backman/89576978/

"Backman injured his right hamstring while blocking on a kickoff return against the 49ers. He will also need his left knee scoped after playing and practicing through pain the past couple weeks, according to a league source."

We don't know if Backman would have been kept on the merits. When you get to the bottom of the roster, availability is crucial.

Perillo is slow and a lousy blocker.

Not a big deal if Cook and Rodgers stay healthy.

Crockett was also disqualified for the same reason as Backman: injury, unavailability. By the way, what's a "true RB"? If you mean a non-FB, 3 on the roster is a fair assumption. You need 2 every game; one injury puts you short handed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder how you come up with that conclusion after Callahan truly impressed during the preseason.
From the link immediately above your post:

"Backman injured his right hamstring while blocking on a kickoff return against the 49ers. He will also need his left knee scoped after playing and practicing through pain the past couple weeks, according to a league source."

We don't know if Backman would have been kept on the merits. When you get to the bottom of the roster, availability is crucial.

Perillo is slow and a lousy blocker.

Not a big deal if Cook and Rodgers stay healthy.

Crockett was also disqualified for the same reason as Backman: injury, unavailability. By the way, what's a "true RB"? If you mean a non-FB, 3 on the roster is a fair assumption. You need 2 every game; one injury puts you short handed.
Well its been suggested before that Cobb and TyMo could line up at RB. So I was wondering if they would only keep Lacy and Starks and use that #3 spot somewhere else. They should only keep 1 FB this season.

H

HardRightEdge

Well its been suggested before that Cobb and TyMo could line up at RB. So I was wondering if they would only keep Lacy and Starks and use that #3 spot somewhere else. They should only keep 1 FB this season.
Doubt it. A gadget play here or there, but it's not something you'd want to do for a full possession.

There is too much invested in these guys to submit them to running back punishment.

The #3 should be Burks or somebody they pick up after cut downs. I would also not be shocked if Thompson went looking for a D-Lineman at cut downs. After Daniels and Guion, the showings in preseason were underwhelming. Pennel is a stud, but he won't be available for 4 games, of course.

Members online

Latest posts