2016 Cut-downs

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is why I think the defense will be better this year
1. The pass rush. Getting Clay to OLB and Datone Jones out there as well I think the pass rush will take another step forward. On passing downs they will have numerous guys who can rush the passer very well.
2. The secondary. Randall and Rollins might have some more growing pains but this was a very good secondary according to most analysts and the heart of it returns. Shields is healthy, Rollins is healthy, the 3 2nd year guys are a year older in the program, our safeties are as good as they have been since we won the Super Bowl.
3. ILB play. It wont be worse than last year. Martinez was good enough to win the job. He didnt get handed it. He won it. The coverage from him alone will make this better

Here is why the could be worse
1. The run defense of the d-line. No Raji (and Pennell for 4 weeks) will be tough. Daniels is solid. Matthews and Perry are good vs the run. Guion is going to have to be very good and Clark will have to show he belongs.

However I do like that I think the defense is improved in numerous spots. They should take a step up in the rankings if they can hold the fort the first four weeks and if Clark can play.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
NT is not rocket science; other than a RB running the ball (blocking and catching is another matter), NT is the easiest position to plug-and-play which would be a key reason Thompson went that way.

You're not wrong, but I would say you're not 100% right either.

While NT is fairly straight forward, defensive linemen have one of the hardest jumps from college to Pros.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
The defense will be better. Secondary is loaded. I think Martinez was a steal. Team has pass rushers galore and can rotate guys nicely there. I like the D-Line with both Guion and Pennell. Daniels is solid. I'm hoping Clark can provide pass rush from the middle. Gotta stay healthy upfront.

Lastly, the defense is designed to basically play with the lead. If the Packers can do that then I expect this to be the best defense since 2010.

D

Deleted member 6794

They do tend to be stubborn with those first round picks, though. That's somewhat understandable. Upside potential is seen when drafting the guy that high in the first place.

Mostly that's true but I guess the Packers drafted Rollins in the second round based on his upside after he only played college football for a single season.

ILB play. It wont be worse than last year. Martinez was good enough to win the job. He didnt get handed it. He won it. The coverage from him alone will make this better

Martinez has shown a lot of promise so far. While he won the starting job the competition he had to beat out for it wasn't that great to begin with.

I'm hoping Clark can provide pass rush from the middle.

First and foremost Clark has to improve defending the run.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clark has a lot to show period. I didn't get to see him much this preseason, but from what I did, I was completely underwhelmed. To say I was disappointed, would be an understatement. For a big kid that was a competitive wrestler, with great strength and knew leverage, he sure got pushed around a lot. I"m certainly going to give him time to get better, and I didn't expect a probowler in year 1, but I did expect to see a bit more this early on.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martinez has shown a lot of promise so far. While he won the starting job the competition he had to beat out for it wasn't that great to begin with.

While agree he did out Barrington who was better than who we had opposite Ryan last year. And the fact that he seems to be able to cover fills a huge need. If Martinez and Ryan can be league average that would be a giant leap! And could push the defense up the rankings a decent amount.

I didn't watch much in the preseason but the reports on Clark have not been encouraging.

OP
OP
Pkrjones

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/p...on-spriggs-impressive-in-packers-1-on-1-drill

"Clark, the Packers’ first-round draft pick, sports the best record among all defensive players in the drill. Rushing mostly from the nose tackle or three-technique defensive tackle position, Clark’s strength, leverage and athleticism has been on display."

"In a drill heavily weighted in the offense’s favor, Clark is one of only three defenders with a winning record."

This is from August 17... over 3 weeks into camp. I'll wait to see how he does in real games before dumping on him. Holding the point against double teams is not easy but if he can do this 1/2 to 3/4 of his snaps it's a win for GB's D.

D

Deleted member 6794

http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcnorth/p...on-spriggs-impressive-in-packers-1-on-1-drill

"Clark, the Packers’ first-round draft pick, sports the best record among all defensive players in the drill. Rushing mostly from the nose tackle or three-technique defensive tackle position, Clark’s strength, leverage and athleticism has been on display."

"In a drill heavily weighted in the offense’s favor, Clark is one of only three defenders with a winning record."

This is from August 17... over 3 weeks into camp. I'll wait to see how he does in real games before dumping on him. Holding the point against double teams is not easy but if he can do this 1/2 to 3/4 of his snaps it's a win for GB's D.

As long as Clark doesn't significantly improve during games his record in a practice drill doesn't mean a whole lot.

H

HardRightEdge

Mostly that's true but I guess the Packers drafted Rollins in the second round based on his upside after he only played college football for a single season.
True, but Randall was drafted higher and was a college safety projected to CB. The projection was quite substantial.

OP
OP
Pkrjones

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as Clark doesn't significantly improve during games his record in a practice drill doesn't mean a whole lot.
I'm really confused... do preseason games mean anything or not in judging starters & high draft picks? If a player looks bad in preseason games 2 & 3 is it cause for concern or is a player shaking off rust/getting acclimated to NFL game speed?

If Clark's preseason play is cause for concern then we've got A LOT of problems elsewhere, too (Adams, Peppers, Davis).

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm really confused... do preseason games mean anything or not in judging starters & high draft picks? If a player looks bad in preseason games 2 & 3 is it cause for concern or is a player shaking off rust/getting acclimated to NFL game speed?

If Clark's preseason play is cause for concern then we've got A LOT of problems elsewhere, too (Adams, Peppers, Davis).

The performance during the preseason is more important for rookies getting used to the pro game. There 's no reason to be concerned about Peppers losing contain in a meaningless game as he has proven to be an impact player for a long time.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The performance during the preseason is more important for rookies getting used to the pro game. There 's no reason to be concerned about Peppers losing contain in a meaningless game as he has proven to be an impact player for a long time.

Have to agree with this. More and more the established starting vets are less concerned with pre-season performance more then they are trying to prevent being injured. In pre-season when you have multiple rookies playing and lots of substitutions in a meaningless game, I can kind of see why the established vets are playing with glass slippers on.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This defense has to show me that they are any good. Right now, I don't think so.

I like the secondary. We have CMIII who is great. Nick Perry and Datone Jones haven't shown me much up to now. Peppers is basically washed up and I don't expect much from him especially late in the game. Martinez and Ryan are lousy so far. The D-line is pathetic except for Daniels. I just keep thinking of the last series against Arizona, just total crap.

So, for me the defense is a big question mark. I think they suck. I hope I am wrong.

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This defense has to show me that they are any good. Right now, I don't think so.

I like the secondary. We have CMIII who is great. Nick Perry and Datone Jones haven't shown me much up to now. Peppers is basically washed up and I don't expect much from him especially late in the game. Martinez and Ryan are lousy so far. The D-line is pathetic except for Daniels. I just keep thinking of the last series against Arizona, just total crap.

So, for me the defense is a big question mark. I think they suck. I hope I am wrong.

Both Perry and Jones have been better then alot of Packers fans will admit to when they've been healthy. The problem is they rarely have been healthy.

Also it's interesting you lead in with the point that you like the secondary but then finish with bringing up the final Arizona drive where everything went well except for the blown coverage in the secondary by Randall.

Really the defense was pretty good last year. Good enough to win ten games with the offense looking like crap from week 3 on. Unless you believe Raji will be a absolutely monumental loss and Peppers is about to hit the wall hard, but apparently you do, alot of this comes off as you blaming both last year's and the present defense for the failings of a few years ago.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm worried about the defensive line and inside linebacker as well but think that overall the Packers defense is a talented unit capable of finishing in the top 10 in scoring. As long as the offense rebounds from a disappointing performance last season that should be good enough to end up being a Super Bowl contender.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts