2016 Cut-downs

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt it. A gadget play here or there, but it's not something you'd want to do for a full possession.

There is too much invested in these guys to submit them to running back punishment.

The #3 should be Burks or somebody they pick up after cut downs. I would also not be shocked if Thompson went looking for a D-Lineman at cut downs. After Daniels and Guion, the showings in preseason were underwhelming. Pennel is a stud, but he won't be available for 4 games, of course.
I agree there. The DL didn't impress this preseason. Also Kenny Clark has been a disappointment, looks more like 4th rounder Josh Boyd than the 1st Rd NT we drafted to plug the middle. Jaguars Yeldon and Ivory will have a field day if Clark doesn't get squared away week 1.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Michael Caputo former Badger Saftey was released by the Saints. First off I do have a biased opinion as a Badger Fan but I believe Caputo would be worthy of a PS spot. He is a natural leader with exceptional football knowledge. His main hold back is his speed for a DB. But he is a very good tackler, which would probably make him a great Special Teamer. Just a thought.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers released QB Marquise Williams and CB Warren Gatewood yesterday. The roster is now down to 73 players.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Doubt it. A gadget play here or there, but it's not something you'd want to do for a full possession.

There is too much invested in these guys to submit them to running back punishment.
But they've had Cobb in the backfield and no RB several times already. Usually in the no huddle change of pace series.

D

Deleted member 6794

Intersting. Calling Murphy good last night would be like saying Barclay rated well last year.

I should have added that PFF considers the grade of 74.7 for Murphy to be an average performance which isn't that great to begin with against second and third stringers.

Michael Caputo former Badger Saftey was released by the Saints. First off I do have a biased opinion as a Badger Fan but I believe Caputo would be worthy of a PS spot. He is a natural leader with exceptional football knowledge. His main hold back is his speed for a DB. But he is a very good tackler, which would probably make him a great Special Teamer. Just a thought.

The Packers have two talented undrafted free agent safeties on the roster in Kentrell Brice and Marwin Evans who have been with the team all offseason. There's no reason to bring in Caputo.

But they've had Cobb in the backfield and no RB several times already. Usually in the no huddle change of pace series.

Cobb has a total of 40 rushing attempts during his five year career. That qualifies as a gadget play here or there. I fully expect the team to keep three running backs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I

The Packers have two talented undrafted free agent safeties on the roster in Kentrell Brice and Marwin Evans who have been with the team all offseason. There's no reason to bring in Caputo.

I really like both of these guys. With who we have ahead of them, and the potential and level of play they've shown this preseason, I don't see any reason to try and replace them.

H

HardRightEdge

RB rushing attempt (excluding QB, FB, WR, TE) averages per game in recent seasons, with the #1 back noted:

22 in 2015 (Lacy)
22 in 2014 (Lacy)
25 in 2013 (Lacy)
21 in 2012 (Alex Green)
18 in 2011 (Grant / Starks)
16 in 2010 (Brandon Jackson)

McCarthy's avowed approach in recent years is run/pass balance. The aerial circus of 2011 proved too one dimensional.

The high number in 2013 was a result of Rodgers going down for 7 games. The low count in 2010 was the result of having a 3rd. down back trying to play the #1 role and Starks being out for all but 3 games in the regular season. Kuhn served as the #2 running back that season, carrying the ball 84 times (not counted in the season average above).

You can figure McCarthy is looking for something on the order of 22 - 25 carries out of the RB position. Perhaps closer to the high end since Ripkowski did not carry the ball even once in preseason; it looks like they'll be going with Lacy and Starks for short yardage unless there's an unexpected switch to Squirewell who got 2 carries for 3 and 7 yards against Oakland. Squirewell is 5.0 guy so he'd not provide what Ripkowski does on kick coverage.

So you could see a 38/25/2 in a pass/run/gadget mix in a typical 65 offensive snap game, with little or nothing going to the FB position.

Lacy's carries per game have dropped each season from 18 to 15 to 12. As a big back who takes a lot of punishment without special endurance, the midpoint at 15 seems reasonable. You want reasonably fresh legs come playoff time. That means the #2 could go as high as 10 carries per game if you don't carry a #3. 8 would be reasonable number for the #2 assuming no injuries. Starks is being paid what many fans believe is an unreasonable amount. You can expect they'll use him for a few possessions per game.

That brings us to injuries. If Lacy or Starks were to go down in the first half of a game that leaves a hole. And it goes beyond just running the ball. While Cobb, or more likely Montgomery, could pick up some of the slack with a few carries, these guys are not trained to pass block, which is an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd like to see us bring in a 3rd down-utility-scat back type with speed as our 3rd RB.

D

Deleted member 6794

According to the Journal Sentinel
TE Caey Pierce and DT Brian Price have been released. With the roster at 71 still 18 to go.

H

HardRightEdge

I'd like to see us bring in a 3rd down-utility-scat back type with speed as our 3rd RB.
You already have one in Burks, though his short route/release receiving is not sharp. In college he did some nice things out of the slot and on wheel routes.

Per my suggestion ;), they gave Burks a couple of pitch/stretch attempts in this last preseason game that went for naught. That was behind the #2 OL. The early enthusiasm for OL depth after the Browns game (who have a weak front 7), has evaporated as the preseason wore on. I would have liked to see what Burks could have done on those plays behind the #1 OL. Even still, it's not the blocking they're accustomed to doing with stretch plays pretty much dropping to the bottom of the playbook. The quicker Starks has not had much success with it the few times they've tried it in recent years; Lacy is not fast enough to the edge.

(As an aside, it looks to me like Barclay is in as the backup center with Linsley entering the season on PUP. This would be keeping the my odds of 1 out of 6 when the PUP list was first released. ;))

I think if they go outside for a #3, it will be somebody more in the Crockett mold...a guy who runs the plays Lacy and Starks run, from 7 hole to 7 hole, pick up short yardage, and block some/catch some. Ross looked tougher inside than Burks, but he doesn't have Burks vision or cutback ability. Maybe they go with Ross, though I would be disappointed with that decision.

H

HardRightEdge

According to the Journal Sentinel
TE Caey Pierce and DT Brian Price have been released. With the roster at 71 still 18 to go.
I think they'll go with Ringo and possibly start the season with just the 4 DLs pending Pennel's return, with Jones and Peppers in rotation. I saw a lot of first down nickel this preseason. The only other guy left is Kuder. Maybe they look for a guy at cut downs, but rent-a-vet with a 4 game horizon until Pennel's return is not Thompson's style.

2 out of 3 among Brice, Evans and Hawkins. Maybe all 3, particularly if Banjo's injury leaves him unavailable. Brice and Evans are already better safeties than Banjo; Banjo is an ST leader.

It will be interesting to see if Linsley sticks on PUP with Barclay retained. That would make too much sense, perhaps. ;) The 4 OTs, 3 OGs with Taylor, and Barclay as the C/OG swing man.

Since it looks like they're going to try Janis at gunner with the club, I don't see room for Allison...PS for him. 7 WRs. No, Adams will not be cut.

Bradford/Thomas looks like a toss up. Bradford would be my guess as the tough guy backup to Barrington. I have a lot higher opinion than most of Ryan showing improvement in coverage. So Ryan/Martinez would be the coverage pair.

D

Deleted member 6794

Packers trim roster to 69 players by releasing FB Alstevis Squirewel and OG Lucas Patrick.

H

HardRightEdge

Packers trim roster to 69 players by releasing FB Alstevis Squirewel and OG Lucas Patrick.
I think they'll keep Burks, but cutting Squirewell puts the onus on the RBs for short yardage since they didn't work Ripkowski on a single run in preseason...he's strictly a lead blocker and ST. They may go looking for an inside runner after cut downs as much as I'd like to see Burks around for change of pace.

H

HardRightEdge

If they go 4 DL plus Peppers/Jones in rotation, that would open a spot for a 7th. OLB. Under that scenario, Brown would be out and Gilbert and Elliott in. A lot depends on how badly Elliot is injured. Gilbert flashed a couple of times and is worthy of consideration.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Denver is shopping RB Ronnie Hillman again it seems. Hes someone I'd like on our squad. But I bet they end up cutting him. However, i'd throw a 6th or a 7th out there for him.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers put center Kyle Steuck on injured reserve. With RB Brandon Ross cut as well as Mike Pennel and Demetri Goodson suspended the roster bow stands at 65.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Who will be the surprise cut of 2016 for the Packers? If there is one, might come in the secondary, OL or at WR.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts