2015 Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

PFF has Neal with a total of 654 snaps in the regular season. According to their numbers he was on the field for 412 pass plays rushing the passer 386 times.
That did not answer the question. How many pass snaps did he have at OLB, and where did that rank among 3-4 OLBs? To repeat I have a hard time believing he was 10th. in the league in those kinds of snaps at the position. If you don't know, that's fine too.
Yeah, and we discussed last year that they were pretty inaccurate with the number of tackles by Hawk during his time as a Packer.
Tackles are counted by the scorer in the booth and get distributed with the official stats and show up in sites like ESPN. He would not be counting snaps by position or pressures. Those latter numbers (along with other unofficial stats like drops) come from somewhere else; he does not have time to count that stuff. If it was a "Packer source", it would be Packer staff...probably the quality control guys doing the heavy lifting in breaking down tape, not the scorer in the booth. And tackle numbers have been quoted by beat reporters that are different from the "official unoffical" stats...those would likely come from staff.

McGinn cited 713 defensive snaps. FO shows 714 total snaps, with 642 defensive snaps and 81 on ST, which comes from "NFL Media". It looks like McGinn got his snap counts from Packer staff, then made a mistaken subtraction from total snaps instead of defensive snaps.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

I'm not sure if I understand your comment correctly but PFF generally distinguishes between OLB and DT. They don't split up the snaps for a player like Neal though and list him in the 3-4 OLB category only.
You answered my earlier question, posed twice. And that is a problem.

H

HardRightEdge

There's no reason to put a player on the PUP list if he's cleared to practice by the medical staff.
Yeah, it's pretty simple. Coaches want players to practice who are able to practice. If the player says he feels good and the doc says he looks good, then he's able to. Practice is good.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Tackles are counted by the scorer in the booth and get distributed with the official stats and show up in sites like ESPN. He would not be counting snaps by position or pressures. Those latter numbers (along with other unofficial stats like drops) come from somewhere else; he does not have time to count that stuff. If it was a "Packer source", it would be Packer staff...probably the quality control guys doing the heavy lifting in breaking down tape, not the scorer in the booth. And tackle numbers have been quoted by beat reporters that are different from the "official unoffical" stats...those would likely come from staff.

McGinn cited 713 defensive snaps. FO shows 714 total snaps, with 642 defensive snaps and 81 on ST, which comes from "NFL Media". It looks like McGinn got his snap counts from Packer staff, then made a mistaken subtraction from total snaps instead of defensive snaps.

PFF is the only website offering stats like pressures for the entire league and allows fans to compare them with other players. While I get they aren't always accurate it's a good indicator for a player's performance.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Players on the active (preseason) PUP list count against the 90-man roster limit. The roster exemption only applies to the reserve (regular season) PUP list.

Thanks, I thought they were exempt from the 90 man limit. I guess that kinda explains the terms active and reserve. makes sense. So there is really no reason to put a man on the preseason pup list unless there is a good chance he will not be ready for opening day then.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Casey Hayward had surgery during the offseason to repair a stress fracture in his foot. He had a permanent screw inserted to stabilize the healing.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Saturday was the first practice with pads and of course it would be silly to draw any conclusions from one practice. But as Jason Wilde writes, first impressions count for something. Here are a few snippets from stories on the first padded practice:

The Press Gazette has a story suggesting Matthews will be scarier at ILB than OLB. Part of the reason for that is QBs are getting the ball out more quickly and an inside rusher has a better chance to disrupt those passes than one battling an OT outside. The story also says, “…in team drills Saturday, Raji looked like some of his former quickness has come back.” If that’s true Raji and a more muscular Daniels could help free Matthews on inside blitzes.

We’ve already read Palmer is first off the bench at ILB when Matthews goes back outside but the same article said Ryan is already ahead of Bradford. “What stood out most was Ryan’s ability to press the line of scrimmage in the physical half-line, inside-run drill. He consistently took on the guards and fullbacks at the line of scrimmage instead of a yard or two on his side of the ball. That helps close down running lanes.” That’s a stark contrast to a former ILB who gave great effort but made a lot of tackles beyond the LOS (in the wrong direction).

We’ve already read positive things about LaDarius Gunter and that continued Saturday. I put more emphasis on the college production of players than their combine stats so I particularly like to see players like him succeed. But we’ve yet to see/read about how his lack of straight speed affects his longer-term performance.

The story also said Shields is becoming more of a technician (and not depending upon his speed so much) and Barclay looks like the same player he was before the injury. http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com.../08/01/believe-matthews-scarier-ilb/31007259/

Another Press Gazette story said Montgomery “caught everything” on Saturday, including an underthrown jump ball. Wilde writes that while his teammates are doing their best to tamp down expectations for Montgomery, “By Saturday … it was becoming increasingly difficult to tell anyone not to be excited about the rookie wide receiver from Stanford, especially after his talent, versatility and potential were on full display at Ray Nitschke Field.” McCarthy is quoted as saying, ““Ty’s a playmaker – strong, very powerful, obviously gifted,” Asked about Montgomery’s football IQ, McCarthy added, “Very bright. Ty’s very bright. You could see that just in his first day back [at OTAs] and then even in the special teams. Asks a lot of questions. So that part of it comes extremely natural to him.” On top of that, Wilde writes he seems genuinely humble. Of course he’ll struggle to get targets because of the players ahead of him but he’s made a very good first impression. We’ll see how much it counts for. http://www.espnmadison.com/common/page.php?feed=2&id=20791&is_corp=1

Another Press Gazette story says Linsley looks like he’ll be battling Bulaga to be the OLs best run blocker and that he recovered very well in a one-on-one pass blocking drill (based just on Saturday of course). And Sean Richardson got a few snaps at nickel CB with the 1s. It’s encouraging they see him deserving a bigger role, but the traditional nickel CB doesn’t make sense for him. In almost any alignment I think he’d be best either as a quasi-LB or SS. The early impression given by Matt Blanchard makes me wish Thompson hadn’t traded up for Brett Hundley.

Early impressions count for something, but they aren’t always lasting impressions.

Last edited:

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn, Montgomery is going to be hard to keep off the field it seems if he continues what hes doing.

H

HardRightEdge

Damn, Montgomery is going to be hard to keep off the field it seems if he continues what hes doing.
He was the #4 receiver coming in and I'll wager it stays that way. With any injury he'll go to the slot with Cobb moving outside. He played in a pro style West Coast offense at Stanford, which should make the transition easier.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He was the #4 receiver coming in and I'll wager it stays that way. With any injury he'll go to the slot with Cobb moving outside. He played in a pro style West Coast offense at Stanford, which should make the transition easier.
I'm still expecting the coaches to create some special packages for him and Cobb to put pressure on defenses. Good to see he's adjusting well so far.

H

HardRightEdge

I'm still expecting the coaches to create some special packages for him and Cobb to put pressure on defenses. Good to see he's adjusting well so far.
Well, the Packers have run some 4 wide sets in the past, quite a bit actually when Finley was around. There is no necessity that a TE run those routes, particularly given that Montgomery is a big, physical guy. The odds of the starting 3 going 48 for 48 in starts are awfully slim. And we'll probably see a gadget play with him out of the backfield at some point.

H

HardRightEdge

We’ve already read Palmer is first off the bench at ILB when Matthews goes back outside but the same article said Ryan is already ahead of Bradford. “What stood out most was Ryan’s ability to press the line of scrimmage in the physical half-line, inside-run drill. He consistently took on the guards and fullbacks at the line of scrimmage instead of a yard or two on his side of the ball. That helps close down running lanes.” That’s a stark contrast to a former ILB who gave great effort but made a lot of tackles beyond the LOS (in the wrong direction).
I never liked Palmer's game. Somebody should pass him up, and Ryan was the leading candidate coming in. As for pressing the LOS, it should be noted that's typically the SAM backer's job (best evidenced by the 2010 version of Desmond Bishop in recent Packer seasons), with both Barrington and Ryan being SAM types. You're not going to make a habit of pressing the line with both ILBs unless it's short yardage...otherwise the middle of the field is exposed in play action or on a cutback. Frankly, after looking at Ryan's tape and noting his 4.65 speed, I see his eventual, if not immediate, value-add being in coverage. It's looking like Bradford better have a light bulb go off pretty soon or he'll be in trouble. The Packers have not had much success in these OLB to ILB conversions in recent years (not counting Matthews of course, who is sui generis to start with).
We’ve already read positive things about LaDarius Gunter and that continued Saturday.
The earlier positive thing we heard was his pick on Thursday against Rodgers/Abbrederis on a fade route, the same play Abbrederis suffered the concussion. Alas, I would have liked to see that play. However, later, Rodgers zipped one right by Gunter on a seam route to White (who happens to be very quick). We'll see. By the way, I wouldn't count out White entirely. Abbrederis can't seem to stay on the field and we still don't know if Janis is an NFL football player and not just an athlete.
The story also said Shields is becoming more of a technician (and not depending upon his speed so much) and Barclay looks like the same player he was before the injury. http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com.../08/01/believe-matthews-scarier-ilb/31007259/
Those are a couple of the more positive notes out of camp so far. Barclay is the only O-Line backup I'd trust at this juncture; I trust Shields' work includes not giving away so many inside routes.
Another Press Gazette story said Montgomery “caught everything” on Saturday, including an underthrown jump ball.
But did they throw him any deep balls over his head? His college tape indicated he had some difficulty tracking those balls and I seem to recall the Captain citing stats that indicated the preponderance of his drops were on deep balls. I don't see any reason why he can't be productive running the bread-and butter slot routes in any event.
And Sean Richardson got a few snaps at nickel CB with the 1s. It’s encouraging they see him deserving a bigger role, but the traditional nickel CB doesn’t make sense for him. In almost any alignment I think he’d be best either as a quasi-LB or SS.
Agreed. He's got box safety written all over him. It's a situation where they like a guy and think he deserves a "lets see what he can do" opportunity. Injuries happen, life happens, free agency happens. Now's the time to suss out whether by chance there is some previously unknown versatility that will fit in a hip pocket.
The early impression given by Matt Blanchard makes me wish Thompson hadn’t traded up for Brett Hundley.
I still like the Hundley pick while acknowledging that QBs are a crap shoot, more now than ever, even when looking at the the first two picks in this last draft. McCarthy's early impression of Blanchard in OTAs led him to ask the QB, "how come you're not already on somebody's team?" I took that to be a positive impression. However, there are guys who look great in the position room and on the practice field, but come game time they wilt. We'll see what he does in preseason.
Early impressions count for something, but they aren’t always lasting impressions.
I use the "edge of the chair/back of the chair" test. When I see somebody do something that makes me sit up on the edge of chair, that's a guy worth watching. Back of the chair, not so much. I'm not at training camp to see this stuff first hand. But I have seen a couple of clips from around-the-league training camp reports. To illustrate, first I saw Rodgers making a couple of 5-step drops...I don't know if it's possible, but he looked even quicker and more fluid in his set and release; the footwork was stunning; the mechanics flawless. A tear comes to my eye typing this. ;) Look for him to come out blazing.

Conversely, I saw a couple of Winston's throws. My gosh...his mechanics are terrible...it was back of the chair/cover the eyes material. I don't know if Tampa can fix this guy, but it won't be this season.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Montgomery would have scored a TD on a reverse during Saturday's practice. I expect to see similar plays in the regular season.

But did they throw him any deep balls over his head? His college tape indicated he had some difficulty tracking those balls and I seem to recall the Captain citing stats that indicated the preponderance of his drops were on deep balls.

Montgomery caught a deep ball on Saturday as well with Gunter in coverage.

I still like the Hundley pick while acknowledging that QBs are a crap shoot, more now than ever, even when looking at the the first two picks in this last draft. McCarthy's early impression of Blanchard in OTAs led him to ask the QB, "how come you're not already on somebody's team?" I took that to be a positive impression. However, there are guys who look great in the position room and on the practice field, but come game time they wilt. We'll see what he does in preseason.

I still don't understand giving up two draft picks to move up in the draft to select Hundley, who hopefully won't play a meaningful down during his career with the Packers. Blanchard outperforming so far doesn't make me feel any better about the selection.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Quinten Rollins, who had been on the non-football injury list, has passed his physical and is participating in today´s practice.

Clay Matthews is the only new absence from practice.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have signed WR Ed Williams who played three seasons at Fort Hays State (Division II). In 2014, he was a first-team All-Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletics Association selection after recording 53 receptions for 946 yards and seven touchdowns. For his career, Williams started 13 of 27 games played and registered 86 receptions for 1,617 yards and 14 TDs.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That's good news on Rollins, he definitely needs the snaps.

Regarding ILB, I haven’t seen enough of Palmer’s game to make a determination. If Ryan’s value is being in coverage, this very early impression that he’s stout vs. the run is nothing but good news. He may eventually earn more snaps than Barrington although I don’t expect that to happen this season.

Gunter’s ‘front of the chair’ play Saturday was (from the Press Gazette) his “…eye-catching play Saturday was breaking up an Aaron Rodgers pass to Jordy Nelson on a slant pattern.”

Montgomery did catch a deep ball vs. Gunter but it was called a jump ball which sounds like and underthrown ball, not the type of catch HRE mentioned. And here’s how Wilde described his catch vs. Randall: “… he made perhaps the catch of camp so far, skying over first-round pick Damarious Randall to snatch a Brett Hundley deep ball out of the air along the left sideline – a catch that brought much of the Nitschke Field crowd in that are to its feet.” It isn’t clear how much over-the-head tracking of the ball was involved but we should find out soon enough if that’s the weak point of his game.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

If Ryan’s value is being in coverage, this very early impression that he’s stout vs. the run is nothing but good news. He may eventually earn more snaps than Barrington although I don’t expect that to happen this season.

Ryan´s forte consists in stopping the run though. He will have to improve significantly in coverage to turn into a three down player for the Packers.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gunter could be another Rolle type situation and TT will be very reluctant to release/cut him. I know we regretted letting Rolle go. I think Gunter makes our roster if he continues looking good.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Ryan´s forte consists in stopping the run though. He will have to improve significantly in coverage to turn into a three down player for the Packers.
I haven't seen him in coverage in practice so I don't know, but my statement, "If Ryan’s value is being in coverage..." was assuming HRE's "Frankly, after looking at Ryan's tape and noting his 4.65 speed, I see his eventual, if not immediate, value-add being in coverage" is correct. (Don't get me wrong, that's a lot of assuming regarding both Ryan's play against the run and pass.) If Ryan is close to Barrington vs. the run and superior vs. the pass, it would make sense to have him on the field in the dime rather than Barrington, wouldn't it? A couple of other questions: Other than Matthews, who is the best ILB in coverage? And although Richardson's coverage skills aren't great for a safety, are they better than those of the best ILB, whoever that is? If so, perhaps they should try him at ILB in the dime? .... Or not. ;)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Clay Matthews missed practice with a sore knee, McCarthy doesn't have a timeline for his return. Nate Palmer injured his hand during Saturday's practice and participated with a club today. Adrian Coxson suffered a concussion last week.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I haven't seen him in coverage in practice so I don't know, but my statement, "If Ryan’s value is being in coverage..." was assuming HRE's "Frankly, after looking at Ryan's tape and noting his 4.65 speed, I see his eventual, if not immediate, value-add being in coverage" is correct. (Don't get me wrong, that's a lot of assuming regarding both Ryan's play against the run and pass.) If Ryan is close to Barrington vs. the run and superior vs. the pass, it would make sense to have him on the field in the dime rather than Barrington, wouldn't it? A couple of other questions: Other than Matthews, who is the best ILB in coverage? And although Richardson's coverage skills aren't great for a safety, are they better than those of the best ILB, whoever that is? If so, perhaps they should try him at ILB in the dime? .... Or not. ;)

If Ryan is better in coverage than Barrington it would make sense to play him as the lone inside linebacker in dime. I highly doubt that will happen though. The Packers don't have an ILB best suited to cover RBs or TEs, that's why Richardson could be an intriguing option. Or not. ;)

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I still don't understand giving up two draft picks to move up in the draft to select Hundley, who hopefully won't play a meaningful down during his career with the Packers. Blanchard outperforming so far doesn't make me feel any better about the selection.
Hundley may end up being the kind of guy that gets traded for a 3rd round pick some draft day in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts