2015 Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HardRightEdge

If Ryan is better in coverage than Barrington it would make sense to play him as the lone inside linebacker in dime. I highly doubt that will happen though. The Packers don't have an ILB best suited to cover RBs or TEs, that's why Richardson could be an intriguing option. Or not. ;)
Yeah, Richardson played some in the occasional 3-safety dime package. He could be an option in the box in long yardage. There are just so many run/pass tweener downs among the 65% nickel snaps that a man that size is not an attractive option.

Last edited by a moderator:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, the Packers have run some 4 wide sets in the past, quite a bit actually when Finley was around. There is no necessity that a TE run those routes, particularly given that Montgomery is a big, physical guy. The odds of the starting 3 going 48 for 48 in starts are awfully slim. And we'll probably see a gadget play with him out of the backfield at some point.
Imo, as the season progresses, Montgomery will be used as a "slash" type guy, being motioned into different formations to try and get him or Cobb into a one on one matchup with a LB like they did to Ninkovic last year on those circle routes with Starks and Cobb. It will give McCarthy some new looks to the offense and keep DC's from zeroing in our normal sets and packages. We won't have as much versatility with our TE's again this year, so Montgomery may be the guy that actually lessens Lacy's snap count to keep him fresh for the stretch run.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They're reporting that quarless missed practice because his daughter died at delivery last week. I'd never wish that feeling upon anybody. Ic an't even imagine. I didn't care much what happened with him before, but now I'd rather see him stay with the team he knows. He needs that stability

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Damn...........best wishes and prayers to the Quarless family. Thats sad :(

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Hundley may end up being the kind of guy that gets traded for a 3rd round pick some draft day in the future.

There's no way a team would give up a third-round pick for a QB selected with the 147th pick who hasn't played a meaningful down in three years.

H

HardRightEdge

Hundley may end up being the kind of guy that gets traded for a 3rd round pick some draft day in the future.
Three things would need to happen for that to transpire. First, he'd have to be installed as the #2. Then he'd need to see the field and play well before his contract year. Then there would have to be a qualified #3 to step up into the #2 spot.

I suppose it's possible that if McCarthy moves on to another team and finds himself desperate for a QB, he'll trade a 3rd. round pick while moving up one spot in the first round for a lightly played Packer QB, but that's not likely.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no way a team would give up a third-round pick for a QB selected with the 147th pick who hasn't played a meaningful down in three years.
What if he plays meaningful downs? What if he shows he's made progress on the aspects of his game that were considered problematic?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what if he poops solid gold footballs? I bet they give 25 #1 picks for that.

H

HardRightEdge

what if he poops solid gold footballs? I bet they give 25 #1 picks for that.
If he poops pure gold footballs, then sell the franchise and keep him hidden in a cage. That depends of course on the frequency of the pooping.

The volume of an NFL football is approximately 4,237 cubic centimeters at 20 degrees centigrade:

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/o/oldenburgj/ENGR1A/NFLFootballWtCalc.pdf

A troy ounce of gold displaces approximately 1.61 cubic centimeters:

http://www.traditionaloven.com/meta...-oz-gold-to-cubic-centimetre-cc-cm3-gold.html

Therefore, one pure gold NFL football weighs approximately 2,632 troy ounces.

At today's US closing spot price, a pure gold NFL football is worth $1,085.60/oz. x 2,632 troy ounces = approximately $2,857,299.20.

If Brady is doing the pooping, the ball will be slightly smaller and worth less money.

Keep the cage as warm as possible; slightly larger footballs may be pooped.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Somehow the Eagles were able to convince the league that Kevin Kolb was actually good after playing poorly and getting benched.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

What if he plays meaningful downs? What if he shows he's made progress on the aspects of his game that were considered problematic?

Let's hope Hundley never has to play a meaningful down for the Packers. Even if he has to over the next three years he would have to be pretty impressive for a team to give up a third-round pick for him. Early signs indicate that he has a long way to go though.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
If he poops pure gold footballs, then sell the franchise and keep him hidden in a cage. That depends of course on the frequency of the pooping.

The volume of an NFL football is approximately 4,237 cubic centimeters at 20 degrees centigrade:

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/o/oldenburgj/ENGR1A/NFLFootballWtCalc.pdf

A troy ounce of gold displaces approximately 1.61 cubic centimeters:

http://www.traditionaloven.com/meta...-oz-gold-to-cubic-centimetre-cc-cm3-gold.html

Therefore, one pure gold NFL football weighs approximately 2,632 troy ounces.

At today's US closing spot price, a pure gold NFL football is worth $1,085.60/oz. x 2,632 troy ounces = approximately $2,857,299.20.

If Brady is doing the pooping, the ball will be slightly smaller and worth less money.

Keep the cage as warm as possible; slightly larger footballs may be pooped.

I would also get him to eat plenty of fiber. Meta-Mucil or prunes.

Gotta keep those footballs coming. Time is money, baby.

H

HardRightEdge

I would also get him to eat plenty of fiber. Meta-Mucil or prunes.

Gotta keep those footballs coming. Time is money, baby.
Maybe wash it down with a shot of Goldschlager, in the gotta-spend-money-to-make-money vein?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Sorry to interrupt the golden bowel movement discussion, but back to TC: I like Michael Rodney’s (the guy behind the Packers Notes website) idea about waiting about 10 practices before getting too excited about a young player. We’re not there yet but I was happy to see the jsonline article on Andy Mulumba:
If Mulumba's performance the first five practices of training camp is any indication, the third-year pro has come back a bigger, faster, more powerful player. He has been a constant in the backfield during the 11-on-11 drills despite saying his knee isn't quite where it needs to be.
He missed a couple of games as a rookie – playing mostly STs – and was injured when he had to sub for Clay late in his rookie season. Then he tore his ACL week 2 of last season.
The thing that excites the Packers about Mulumba, besides his speed and power, is that he was a latecomer to American football, playing soccer until his freshman year of high school in Montreal. He didn't get a lot of good coaching in high school and played mostly on athletic ability in college.
The Press Gazette says, ‘in the first three days of padded practice he’s rushed the passer better than Elliott and Hubbard’. Let’s hope he has his first healthy season.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...om-injury-stronger-b99550061z1-320715131.html

H

HardRightEdge

Yeah, I like the old school training stuff...chopping wood, flipping truck tires, medicine ball, pulling cars. It's about as close to "country strong" as you get anymore. There's something to be said for those ol' school country boys who built up just working the farm...perhaps a more durable and balanced physique than the targeted, manufactured muscle from the weight room.

OK, throw in a little new age yoga for flexibility. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

Sorry to interrupt the golden bowel movement discussion, but back to TC: I like Michael Rodney’s (the guy behind the Packers Notes website) idea about waiting about 10 practices before getting too excited about a young player.
How about waiting for a few, if not all, of the preseason games? That's my thinking.

Of course if a guy is pooping gold right out of the chute (pun intended), that's sometimes recognizable. But in nearly all cases the ups and downs need to be viewed in balance, and the game situations are important in separating out the practice warriors.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
How about waiting for a few, if not all, of the preseason games? That's my thinking.
Didn't you say the preseason games didn't matter with regard to evaluating Tolzien? ;) Of course he played in the regular season but he's had a lot of practice time since then.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Of course if a guy is pooping gold right out of the chute (pun intended), that's sometimes recognizable. But in nearly all cases the ups and downs need to be viewed in balance, and the game situations are important in separating out the practice warriors.

Super. We'll look forward to you starting to post again just before the regular season starts.

H

HardRightEdge

Didn't you say the preseason games didn't matter with regard to evaluating Tolzien? ;) Of course he played in the regular season....
Had it occurred to you that your first sentence might be related to the second sentence? ;)

Clearly the issue pertains to players nobody has seen play in an NFL game, even those as watered down as preseason football. Shouldn't it be obvious that contact practice tells us more than OTAs, preseason play tells more about a player than contact practice, or that first quarter preseason play, first string against first string, is more important that 4th. quarter play against third-stringers?

H

HardRightEdge

Super. We'll look forward to you starting to post again just before the regular season starts.
A player can't win a job on practice play along. But he can lose one. It's a war of attrition. Along those lines, when the reporters tell us a guy isn't getting first or second team snaps, that can be meaningful in that he just might have attrited himself off the team.

Besides...what do we have to look at unless you're at the practice field? Second hand sources? One day they'll have you going gaga over Gunter knocking Abbrederis on his butt (or head as the case might be) and stealing the ball; the next day he's getting lit up.

I believe I'd actually like to see guys play with my own eyes before settling on judgements. How does that not make sense?

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Had it occurred to you that your first sentence might be related to the second sentence? ;)
Of course, hence the smilie - and I'm sure yours. We've posted back and forth about Tolzien - no need to rehash that. I do think this preseason is huge for Tolzien.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Young cornerbacks are making plays during practice:

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...elps-ease-concerns-b99551138z1-320847641.html

Rather, the play by Randall, whom the Green Bay Packers drafted in the first round in April, typified a hellacious beginning to training camp in which cornerbacks across the board played bullishly aggressive football. Pass deflections soared as physicality spiked, and through five days of training camp Aaron Rodgers had already thrown four interceptions in 11-on-11 action.

What the franchise may not have believed is that a pair of rookies would also contribute on the outside, which is exactly what Randall and Gunter have done through the first five practices.

Although he played safety at Arizona State, Randall adapted quickly to the position change during OTAs and gave the secondary a jolt of athleticism. He adjusted so well to the outside position that coaches are trusting him to play opposite Shields in dime packages, allowing Hayward and Hyde to man the slots.

Which is to say someone like Gunter, an undrafted free agent from Miami, is not supposed to make those plays, especially against a quarterback with Rodgers' pedigree. Yet there he was on the first day of training camp, leaping to intercept a pass down the left sideline intended for receiver Jared Abbrederis.

Gunter's interception was the first in a handful of impressive moments for a player whose size (6-foot-2, 201 pounds) is ideal but whose speed coming out of college (4.69 seconds in the 40-yard dash) was not. Instead, Gunter relies on his long arms and excellent hand placement to win plays at the line of scrimmage, according to Whitt. His forceful play has received praise from receivers Jordy Nelson and Ty Montgomery.

Gunter, Whitt said, knows the difference between attacking the shoulders when jamming a receiver (incorrect) and targeting the breastplate (correct) to increase his margin for error. If he aims for the shoulder and misses, his palm grabs nothing but air. If he aims for the breastplate and fires wide, he still connects with the shoulder.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest posts