• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Mgmt does an amazing job of keeping signing bonuses relatively low in comparison to most teams. Our free agent signees and contract extensions tend to be in the 20-30% bonus range.

The Packers have two players ranked in the top 12 in the league in total signing bonus in Rodgers and Matthews as well as five in the top 70. It´s a good way to spread out the cap hit over five seasons.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Jack Vainisi monument dedication ceremony will be held on July 29th, when players report for training camp.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers have two players ranked in the top 12 in the league in total signing bonus in Rodgers and Matthews as well as five in the top 70. It´s a good way to spread out the cap hit over five seasons.
Yes, but I'm sure that list doesn't include all the players who were released or traded in the middle of a contract that had large signing bonuses and resulted in dead money. I would venture to say the Packers would be near the bottom of the league in amount of dead money over the last five years. Around the league, I'm seeing a lot of big contracts where the signing bonuses are a larger percentage of the contract than what we are doing.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, but I'm sure that list doesn't include all the players who were released or traded in the middle of a contract that had large signing bonuses and resulted in dead money. I would venture to say the Packers would be near the bottom of the league in amount of dead money over the last five years. Around the league, I'm seeing a lot of big contracts where the signing bonuses are a larger percentage of the contract than what we are doing.

The Packers have been amazing in preventing dead money since the current CBA was signed (can´t find any numbers before the 2011 season). They have ranked 23rd (2011), 24th (2012), 32nd (2013) and 31st (2014) in dead money counting against the cap over the last four years. That doesn´t mean Thompson doesn´t hand out huge signing bonuses though but that he mostly uses them on the right players.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers have been amazing in preventing dead money since the current CBA was signed (can´t find any numbers before the 2011 season). They have ranked 23rd (2011), 24th (2012), 32nd (2013) and 31st (2014) in dead money counting against the cap over the last four years. That doesn´t mean Thompson doesn´t hand out huge signing bonuses though but that he mostly uses them on the right players.
Avoiding dead cap is a Thompson hallmark. But it is a double edged sword. It can result in players being penned into slots in a cost vs. performance calculus that has an element of wishful thinking. I'm convinced the Packers had Hawk and Jones penned into the lineup going in 2014 because of their approx. $3 mil apiece in dead cap. (I'm sure you'll tell me the exact amounts. ;))

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have released undrafted CB Bernard Blake.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Either the right players (it may not turn out that way) or players he is committed to. Players he won't cut 2 years into a deal because he has faith that they can get the job done. This could be a downside however as it could mean he holds on to some players for a year or two longer than may be wise just so the dead money doesn't take up cap space. A.J. Hawk is an example of a player many thought should have been gone 2 years ago. Had he been let go then the dead money would have been much higher.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Earl thomas not expected to be cleared for camp, could miss some early games including week 2 against the Packers

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Either the right players (it may not turn out that way) or players he is committed to. Players he won't cut 2 years into a deal because he has faith that they can get the job done. This could be a downside however as it could mean he holds on to some players for a year or two longer than may be wise just so the dead money doesn't take up cap space. A.J. Hawk is an example of a player many thought should have been gone 2 years ago. Had he been let go then the dead money would have been much higher.

I liked A.J. He wasn`t brilliant, but he always seemed to give his best, and he left with dignity. JMHO

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I liked A.J. He wasn`t brilliant, but he always seemed to give his best, and he left with dignity. JMHO

While I agree with all of that the Packers did hold on to him too long, even expecting him to be a solid starter last season.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

While I agree with all of that the Packers did hold on to him too long, even expecting him to be a solid starter last season.

Oh I`m not disagreeing with ANY of that, I just like players who give everything and express respect and thanks to their ex employers, unlike Mr.........................................Jennings !

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers second preseason game at Pittsburgh on Sunday, August 23, has been moved to noon CDT.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Casey Hayward says he has been cleared to return to practice from foot injury that kept him out of entire offseason program.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

With the start of training camp around the corner here´s a list of the players who are eligible for the practice squad:

WR Jared Abbrederis
TE Kennard Backman
QB Matt Blanchard
WR Javess Blue
ILB Carl Bradford
WR Ricky Collins
WR Adrian Coxson
RB John Crockett
ILB Tavarus Dantzler
OL Fabbians Ebbele
S Jean Fanor
ILB Josh Francis
DL Bruce Gaston
OL Garth Gerhart
CB Tay Glover-Wright
CB Demetri Goodson
CB LaDarius Gunter
RB Alonzo Harris
TE Mitchell Henry
DL Lavon Hooks
OLB Adrian Hubbard
QB Brett Hundley
WR Jimmie Hunt
WR Jeff Janis
OL Vince Kowalski
P Cody Mandell
WR Ty Montgomery
RB Rajion Neal
TE Justin Perillo
OL Andy Philipps
WR Larry Pinkard
CB Damarious Randall
OLB Jermauria Rasco
DL Chrisitian Ringo
FB Aaron Ripkowski
CB Quinten Rollins
OL Matt Rotheram
ILB Jake Ryan
CB Kyle Sebetic
TE Harold Spears
ILB Joe Thomas
DL Khyri Thornton
OLB James Vaughters
OL Jeremy Vujnovich
OL Josh Walker

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have put OLB Mike Neal, RB John Crockett and WR Ricky Collins on the PUP list and CB Quinten Rollins on the Non-Football Injury list.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Imagine that, Mike Neal on the PUP list!
I'll bet Nick Perry will be soon to follow.

Neal has played in every single game over the last two seasons since he moved to outside linebacker. He had hernia surgery during the offseason so him starting camp on the PUP list doesn´t come as a huge surprise.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Neal has played in every single game over the last two seasons since he moved to outside linebacker. He had hernia surgery during the offseason so him starting camp on the PUP list doesn´t come as a huge surprise.
I like the PUP concept. Fair for the players and gives the team roster flexibility. This gives the coaches time to further test drive guys like Hubbard and Elliot and see what they can contribute.

Edit: I'm a little surprised that either Barclay or Abbrederis wasn't on the list. Their recovery must be going well.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I like the PUP concept. Fair for the players and gives the team roster flexibility. This gives the coaches time to further test drive guys like Hubbard and Elliot and see what they can contribute.

Edit: I'm a little surprised that either Barclay or Abbrederis wasn't on the list. Their recovery must be going well.

During training camp players put on the PUP list count against the 90-man roster. Abbrederis, Barclay and Mulumba as well suffered their ACL injuries either during camp or early in the season so it´s not that surprising they will be able to practice. We´ll have to wait and see until Saturday to find out if all of them will fully participate in pads though.

vince

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He had hernia surgery during the offseason so him starting camp on the PUP list doesn´t come as a huge surprise.
Hadn't heard that. I'm no doctor but I believe surgery is what prevents recurrence so that should be one injury he gets past.

WIMM I'm not questioning the veracity of your report, but out of curiosity, do you have a link for that bit? I googled for maybe some additional detail and I couldn't find any public reference to this... or perhaps you're local and hear more scuttlebutt from inside 1265 than the rest of us schmucks... just curious thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts