2015 Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm disappointed you don't read the entire thread to get my up-to-the minute updates. ;)

Absolutely agree, but why release a depth chart then in the first place???

Hayward didn't win a starting job during his rookie season. He got most of his snaps during the 2012 season when Shields was out with an injury. While he's on top of the depth chart right now starting opposite Shields he still has to earn the job during preseason.

I haven't heard anyone within the organization mentioning that Hayward is somehow bothered by his hamstrings. He missed the entire offseason because of a foot injury but has been participating in every single practice during camp. Joe Whitt repeatedly said that he's not worried about Hayward playing outside, so you shouldn't be either.

Didnt mean literally... But Hayward shined from day 1. when he did play for sheilds as you mentioned , he produced ints... I believe the decision to make him the starting CB some day was made very early on... Playing out williams contract is just good economics, and a safe play depth wise. Turned out Hayward might have injury problems. So Rollins, Randall enter the mix. But i knew he would be a keeper, and eventually start for us full time. Williams stayed healthy and played great though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In that case one of Elliot, Mulumba and Hubbard or one of the rookies would have to step up.
elliot and Mulumba have impressed me in the past. Mulumba's knee is a bummer but healed well enough to be out there in the conversation. should only get better. Elliot is an interesting watch this pre-season. He was wrecking dudes when he came in last preseason. Hubbard is a speciman. Havnt heard much. But im optimistic between the 3 we will be great at OLB rotation...

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Didnt mean literally... But Hayward shined from day 1. when he did play for sheilds as you mentioned , he produced ints... I believe the decision to make him the starting CB some day was made very early on... Playing out williams contract is just good economics, and a safe play depth wise. Turned out Hayward might have injury problems. So Rollins, Randall enter the mix. But i knew he would be a keeper, and eventually start for us full time. Williams stayed healthy and played great though.

Hayward was fantastic during his rookie season but the hamstring issues in 2013 took him several steps backwards. While he was a decent slot corner in 2014 again House moved past him on the depth chart for snaps on the perimeter. There's no doubt in my mind that as of now he presents the best option to start opposite Shields but it's far from a given that he will succeed.

BTW Williams wasn't a great corner by any means during his time with the Packers but a good one. Age caught up to him last season though.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was comfortable with Williams at CB starting. That last year he played pretty well I thought. But yea, definately time to move on with younger/cheaper options.

I admit I didnt realize Haywards hammy was such a bad injury. House playing better didnt suprise me either. House could be great if he put it all together and kept it together. He sure got torched alot though(too many times?)... Maybe Haywards hammy was a concern in the decision? 1 year removed from injury, and one of the CBs who is contracted to still be here. McCarthy has a way of allowing injured players the proper time to heal, as long as they keep progressing... Kinda like could he play? yes. Should he play? maybe. McCarthy is the type to keep him in the mix, but not lean on him heavily until he is ready. 2 years removed, im sure he is ready...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I wonder if Hayward is being monitored by Catapult Sports GPS system?
I would think so - I believe they hired them before last season and I haven't seen or heard anything about them ending their relationship with the Packers.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have released WR Ricky Collins after reaching an injury settlement with him. The receiver had spent all of camp on the PUP list.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I was comfortable with Williams at CB starting. That last year he played pretty well I thought.

House playing better didnt suprise me either. House could be great if he put it all together and kept it together. He sure got torched alot though(too many times?)

Williams allowed a total of 10 TDs last season and a passer rating of 106.5. It was time to move on from him and for sure not match the Browns offer.

House showed some flashes during his time with the Packers like being the only corner capable of covering Julio Jones in the Falcons game last year but there's no way Thompson should have offered him more than $6 million a year.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think House ends up busting with the Jags. I really do. So many times our players sign elsewhere and vanish. Our system and program here only fits certain types of players.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think House ends up busting with the Jags. I really do. So many times our players sign elsewhere and vanish. Our system and program here only fits certain types of players.

Mostly Thompson does a great job evaluating players coming up for free agency and re-signing the core ones but not overpaying for them. If I remember correctly he offered House a contract but nowhere near the $6 million the Jags signed him for. House hasn't played a ton during his first four years in the league and it's a huge gamble Jacksonville is taking on him. It's possible it pays off for them but he could become a bust as well.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would think so - I believe they hired them before last season and I haven't seen or heard anything about them ending their relationship with the Packers.
Yes, but from initial reports only certain players were being monitored. Given the success shown with the system over the years with other teams I would think most, if not all, players would be monitored. Something worked last year, as the Packers ranked 3rd in Adjusted Games Lost by Football Outsiders--an improvement from 31st in 2013.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/2014-adjusted-games-lost

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, but from initial reports only certain players were being monitored. Given the success shown with the system over the years with other teams I would think most, if not all, players would be monitored. Something worked last year, as the Packers ranked 3rd in Adjusted Games Lost by Football Outsiders--an improvement from 31st in 2013.

I guess that the modified practice schedule, the brand-new training facilities (including an improved cantina) and hiring a full-time nutritionist had something to do with it as well.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Imo, it's fine to lose a couple of guys a year to teams that value them more than we do. Brings in fresh blood at a cheaper cost and supplements our disadvantageous draft position. As long as the staff excels in developing young players, this continues to put us in a strong position relative to teams that have to go out of their organization to get players.

Last edited:

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that the modified practice schedule, the brand-new training facilities (including an improved cantina) and hiring a full-time nutritionist had something to do with it as well.
Agreed. I suspect that the modifications to practice may be guided by the gps monitoring, at least for some players.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have signed defensive back Ryan White. He was in camp with the team last year.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The following guys didn't travel with the team to New England: Clay Matthews, Nick Perry, Mikr Daniels, Jared Abbredreis, Mike Neal, Letroy Guion Javess Blue, Adrian Coxson, Damarious Randall, Tay Glover-Wright, Sean Richardson, Demetri Goodson and Vince Kowalski.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hundley looks great for a rookie QB. Seen many rookie QBs look real bad in this system. Hundley looks great in comparison. IMO Tolzien makes me feel comfortable... or more comfortable I should say, at 2Qb.
Elliot looks effective. Rollins needs to catch those balls, but did well. Montgomery looks very good. Rodgers should start over quarless. Mulumba looks great.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers have only three players on their roster that have ever played for other NFL teams in Kuhn, Peppers and Guion. Every other team has at least 16.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
OL and DBs aren't the only ones who could use the "Trap Chute". One of the biggest criticisms I've read about Mike Pennel is too often he stands up and loses leverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.