2015 Packers notes

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW I´m surprised that LaDarius Gunter is ranked behind both Demetri Goodson and Tay Glover-Wright while getting significant more playing time than both of them. In addition the depth chart should list Boyd at RDE with Jones on the left side.
Maybe it's a psychological ploy. Wouldn't be the first time a coach has used the depth chart as a motivational tool. :)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
How does the depth chart differ from what we would expect right after the draft? There's no advantage for the Packers to release an up-to-date depth chart and I don't think they did.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Mike Neal has passed his physical and returned to practice today. Jayrone Elliot, Adrian Hubbard and Mike Pennel have returned as well. Letroy Guion, Mike Daniels and Javess Blue not participating.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Seeing casey as the starting corner opposite Shields scares the crap out of me. I envision numerous 200 yd receiving days for opposing wr's. I would prefer to see Hyde there initially with one of the rookies eventually stepping into that role. Casey is small, slow and injured whenever he tries to actually run fast.

Hayward is the only cornerback on the roster aside of Shields having any significant experience playing on the outside. He mostly held his own on the perimeter intercepting four passes there during his rookie season and allowing a completion percentage way under 50%. He has to a better job preventing big plays (he allowed 30 yards per completion) but entering the season he's by far the best option.

H

HardRightEdge

How does the depth chart differ from what we would expect right after the draft?
Isn't that as it should be until these guys have some preseason games under there belts? The default is past performance and experience in the system until proven otherwise.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Isn't that as it should be until these guys have some preseason games under there belts? The default is past performance and experience in the system until proven otherwise.
I agree, I was just responding to captain WIMM's being surprised Gunter is ranked behind Goodson and Glover-Wright. Even if the Packers have Gunter ahead of both of them, I don't think they'd reflect that on the depth chart.

BTW, Packers Notes has a blurb on Gunter. Noting that he’s certainly looked like a football player at TC so far, Rodney goes on to write:
But it’s also true that such a pedestrian 40 time almost never leads to a successful career at this level. Between 2010 and 2012, 16 cornerbacks ran over 4.6 at the combine. Of that group, only five are still active in the National Football League. Carolina’s Josh Norman (4.61) is the most successful “slow cornerback” in recent years. He’s started 22 games in his career. Tampa Bay’s Leonard Jackson (4.62) has 17 starts. Atlanta’s Javier Arenas 4.60) has 12 starts. Buffalo’s Mario Butler (4.65) has played in 1 game. And Robert Blanton (4.66) was quickly moved to safety by Minnesota.
http://packersnotes.com/2015/08/time-not-on-gunters-side/

He also says that a pretty small sample size and a different scheme would probably suit his talents better, but I thought the comparisons were interesting. BTW Gunter ran a 4.69 at the combine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, I was just responding to captain WIMM's beging surprised Gunter is ranked behind Goodson and Glover-Wright. Even if the Packers have Gunter ahead of both of them, I don't think they'd reflect that on the depth chart.

I don't see any reason for the Packers to publish an unofficial depth chart four days before their first preseason game. But they did, so they could make it an accurate one as well.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe 4.64 and 4.66 http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ladarius-gunter?id=2552574, but when you're measuring with a sundial, does it make any difference?
I agree, I was just responding to captain WIMM's beging surprised Gunter is ranked behind Goodson and Glover-Wright. Even if the Packers have Gunter ahead of both of them, I don't think they'd reflect that on the depth chart.

BTW, Packers Notes has a blurb on Gunter. Noting that he’s certainly looked like a football player at TC so far, Rodney goes on to write:
http://packersnotes.com/2015/08/time-not-on-gunters-side/

He also says that a pretty small sample size and a different scheme would probably suit his talents better, but I thought the comparisons were interesting. BTW Gunter ran a 4.69 at the combine.

Maybe 4.64 and 4.66 http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/ladarius-gunter?id=2552574, but when you're measuring with a sundial, does it make any difference?

H

HardRightEdge

Neal is off PUP.

Mandell has been cut. It sounds like holding on place kicks might have been an issue. Crosby has not missed so far in camp with Masthay holding.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't see any reason for the Packers to publish an unofficial depth chart four days before their first preseason game. But they did, so they could make it an accurate one as well.
It's just practice so far. We'll see.

TeamTundra

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No ref is going to flag the receiver on plays such as that.

The question mark with Randall remains. Is he physical enough to get the job done or is he what he was projected to be...a coverage safety?

Did you see the reverse angle of that play? Adams pushes off near the end of the play. More often than
not it probably isn't called, but I've also seen less contact called against the receiver.

It's kind of hard to remove a question mark when we haven't seen him play against opposing teams.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing casey as the starting corner opposite Shields scares the crap out of me. I envision numerous 200 yd receiving days for opposing wr's. I would prefer to see Hyde there initially with one of the rookies eventually stepping into that role. Casey is small, slow and injured whenever he tries to actually run fast.
Disagree. Hayward won the starting job his rookie year IMO. He needed time to develop, and we had Williams/Shields. Hayward has toughened up, and has now officially earned the starting job with Williams contract up. as long as he stays healthy, he will be a ball hawk for us. All our young guys are ball hawks. this should be a great defense for years to come.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Disagree. Hayward won the starting job his rookie year IMO. He needed time to develop, and we had Williams/Shields. Hayward has toughened up, and has now officially earned the starting job with Williams contract up. as long as he stays healthy, he will be a ball hawk for us. All our young guys are ball hawks. this should be a great defense for years to come.
He will never run like he did as a rookie though. His hammy injury was so bad that he can not go 100 percent without blowing it up again. Small and slow is no way to play outside CB....slot i think he is ok but outside I fear him just getting torched all day long.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Neal is off PUP.

Mandell has been cut. It sounds like holding on place kicks might have been an issue. Crosby has not missed so far in camp with Masthay holding.

I'm disappointed you don't read the entire thread to get my up-to-the minute updates. ;)

It's just practice so far. We'll see.

Absolutely agree, but why release a depth chart then in the first place???

Hayward didn't win a starting job during his rookie season. He got most of his snaps during the 2012 season when Shields was out with an injury. While he's on top of the depth chart right now starting opposite Shields he still has to earn the job during preseason.

He will never run like he did as a rookie though. His hammy injury was so bad that he can not go 100 percent without blowing it up again. Small and slow is no way to play outside CB....slot i think he is ok but outside I fear him just getting torched all day long.

I haven't heard anyone within the organization mentioning that Hayward is somehow bothered by his hamstrings. He missed the entire offseason because of a foot injury but has been participating in every single practice during camp. Joe Whitt repeatedly said that he's not worried about Hayward playing outside, so you shouldn't be either.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Because this is the order in which we should expect these guys to take the field against the Pats, injuries permitting.

Once again, Gunter has taken snaps ahead of Goodson and Glover-Wright during practice so I expect him to take the field against the Patriots before they do.

H

HardRightEdge

Once again, Gunter has taken snaps ahead of Goodson and Glover-Wright during practice so I expect him to take the field against the Patriots before they do.
Isolating one player out of 90, splitting hairs on the #6 or #7 CB, is hardly a reason to dispense with the "unofficial" depth chart in it's entirety, don't you think?

Besides, I wouldn't rule out Goodson getting in ahead of Gunter in this first preseason game. Preseason is an evaluation process. Whether it's a case of "did we miss something in picking Goodson" or "do we have something with Gunter", preseason games are a test of who can get the juices flowing in game action. Which takes priority is anybody's guess.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

It's hard to take him (Peppers) out of the game at all when you have iffy players like Perry and Neal to replace him.
Hopefully someone else steps up this year.

Neal will most likely start opposite of Peppers with Matthews continuing to play inside. Perry has been decent against the run and in my opinion it would be a good idea to bring him in for Peppers on run downs.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neal will most likely start opposite of Peppers with Matthews continuing to play inside. Perry has been decent against the run and in my opinion it would be a good idea to bring him in for Peppers on run downs.
So when (not if) Perry is injured what do you foresee?

Status
Not open for further replies.